The Godzilla (2014) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
UltramanGoji

Re: The Godzilla (2014) General Discussion Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

I never thought I'd see the day. This is exceptional and a great treat for both the MonsterVerse and Godzilla's anniversaries this year. Thank you so much for obtaining this, Chris!
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:47 am Now, was all the harassing and hand wringing from the community worth this nothing burger of a scene??
Absolutely. This is the last appearance of one of the most iconic actors in the franchise's history, 60 years after his debut. This is an important piece of Godzilla history that almost certainly would not have been released if the fandom was apathetic about it's exclusion.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Oh my Goooood! I'd almost given up on this! Thank you so much, Chris, fighting the good fight! :huge:

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

As short as it is, I keep coming back to it just to hear Takarada's voice. Glad this was finally able to see the light of day.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Takarada is fine….Aaron’s delivery is awful.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Shadd21 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:48 pm Welp, Wingard isn't returning for the next film, R.i.p Godzilla having any sort of character development, and R.i.p Son of Godzilla
Good. I don't want another Son of Godzilla movie

Why can't Godzilla just do his own thing here? Kong already has an adoptive son; Godzilla doesn't need one too
Top five favorite Monsterverse titans:

1. Godzilla
2. King Ghidorah (#1 favorite MV design though)
3. Methuselah
4. Mecha-Godzilla
5. Doug

zukzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by zukzilla »

so they cut this scene from film because?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

zukzilla wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:23 pm so they cut this scene from film because?
The Main Site's Article wrote:A year went by and with the film’s release quickly approaching, word came that Mr. Takarada’s cameo had been cut from the film. Shortly before release, director Gareth Edwards spoke about the decision stating: “From an emotional point of view, in terms of my love of Godzilla, the hardest thing was Akira Takarada. He was in the original films and did a cameo for us on Day 1. And it felt very appropriate at the time because he played an immigrations officer who welcomes Aaron Taylor-Johnson’s character to Japan. So, it was like this perfect Day 1, first shot and then when we constructed the film… Basically, there was a lot of pressure to get on with the adventure and get to the monsters as soon as you can and so lots of things came out of that part of the movie and I hung onto that until the last second and it was still deemed by the screenings — when we tested it — that we had to get it shorter and, so, that ended up having to go, which is probably my biggest regret.”

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:44 pm I never thought I'd see the day. This is exceptional and a great treat for both the MonsterVerse and Godzilla's anniversaries this year. Thank you so much for obtaining this, Chris!
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:47 am Now, was all the harassing and hand wringing from the community worth this nothing burger of a scene??
Absolutely. This is the last appearance of one of the most iconic actors in the franchise's history, 60 years after his debut. This is an important piece of Godzilla history that almost certainly would not have been released if the fandom was apathetic about it's exclusion.
Agreed. Despite it seemingly being insignificant in the grand scheme of the final movie, it’s an amazing that we finally get to see it.

I fully understand the reason why it was cut. I can see Edward’s reasoning that they wanted to get to the main conflict with the MUTOs quicker. Makes me wonder what else, if anything, was trimmed down.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

It's much less that the scene is terribly significant (it really is kind of a nothing) and more that it's silly it was withheld this long.

Kind of a shame that Takarada's last appearance was such a throw-away moment (literally), but at least now fans have seen it.

A shame he didn't live long enough to get to appear in one of the 1940s scenes in the Monarch series, maybe as a Japanese scientist witnessing Godzilla. That would have been a more fitting, symmetrical final scene.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

gojizillakong
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojizillakong »

Wonder why it took them so damn long to release it

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Mr Takarada spoke English very naturally! I was pleasantly surprised.
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER!

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

Wow!! I had forgotten all about the lost cameo scene. The last I remember even seeing a mention of it was like, some fan reaction video from forever ago. I can hear "Takarada's in this?!!?" from that memory pretty clearly in my head but I don't remember anything else :']
Ten years, though? For a cut scene that's less than 30 seconds? Can't imagine why it took so long to finally release. :eh:
Ah well, I'm happy.
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:20 pm Mr Takarada spoke English very naturally! I was pleasantly surprised.
Those of us who have seen Latitude Zero already knew that. ;)

(The movie was filmed entirely in English… including the lines for the Japanese actors).
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

I did a quick replace of the scene for a higher quality version. For anyone interested
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Finally watched the video and I have to admit, I didn't expect it to be so quick and blink-and-you-miss it.... which makes it all the more understandable why it was cut. It's such a clearly inessential scene without the symbolism involved. It makes me wish they'd given Takarada something else to do so it could have stuck. Very appreciative TK was able to uncover it.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.