Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons & Sons Of Giants Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Moth
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons & Sons Of Giants Discussion

Post by Moth »

That first cover is the best Mothra has ever looked on an IDW cover.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I love how gross Mothra looks on the second cover.

Weird that recently Mothra has had a lot of association with the pyramids. First HTBD cameo, then GXK, and now this.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Pretty excellent first issue.

I need to wait until the story unfolds more, but I now appreciate and understand the slower pace. With Here There Be Dragons 1, I was a little worried in issue 1+2 because it seemed to be crawling at a snail's pace, and building up a world and story I didn't quite understand where it was heading towards. Now I love it of course.

First, with Sons of Giants, I think it was really cool to start the issue with a small and simple story about Godzilla. It gets Godzilla into the story upfront, unlike HTBD where it took a while for Godzilla to show up. It introduces some interesting plot ideas: a sword that can hurt Godzilla! I like how within the first few pages we have that little story that connects to the larger story. Even better is how the story is portrayed. Inaki Miranda mimics Hokusai's style pretty well and it feels appropriate for the historical fictional setting. While not a perfect, I appreciate and respect the effort. It then shows Godzilla killing and wiping out the romans, and the implication is that the Sons of Giants aided or caused that. Way better pacing than HTBD1.

Anyways, I don't want to make any judgements on the overall story, but already this is intriguing. I was surprised to see America be a part of this, and the idea of kaiju in the 1800s is an intriguing one. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Oh yeah and all those masks are cool. While this seems like it'll focus on Hedorah or Mothra, I'm really hoping to see Orga or Gabara.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Now this is more like it, IDW!

Things I liked:
  • Love the Ukiyo-e style artwork for the Japanese portion of the storyline. Inaki Miranda is quickly growing into one of my favorite G artists. It’s easy to see why he was nominated for an Eisner Award. He and writer Frank Tieri make a great team.
  • Love the Ancient Rome setting. Shades of RAT issue #4 with the Hannibal /Punic War setting when he was battling Godzilla in the Alps…only with *MUCH BETTER* artwork.
  • Love the kaiju masks that the SOG cult is wearing. Major Kubrick “Eyes Wide Shut” vibes.
  • Extremely well-written scenes and dialogue with Aaron Burr’s famous duel with Hamilton (though whether Hamilton intentional missed Burr is debatable amongst historians, but as a story-telling element in a G comic, it’s fine) and his interaction with the mysterious reporter. Again, major Kubrick "Barry Lyndon" vibes with how the duel is depicted.
  • Godzilla looks great, and the GFW design is a nice change of pace from the over-used Heisei and Kiryu/Gonzo-Goji suit often seen in these books.
Things I disliked:
    Nothing. It’s a shame IDW’s books are so damn inconsistent in terms of quality, so SOG is a very welcomed and much needed shot in the arm.

Great first issue that leaves me wanting more. Can’t wait for issue #2...
    Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
    GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Finally picked up my pulls from the past few weeks, the first issue of this among them.

I haven't read HTBG yet, so I'm hopefully not missing anything by reading this first but I loved it. Great setup, I especially love the Sons of Giants cult, which is something I've been wanting in a Godzilla story for a long time now. Excited to see where this goes.

LSD Jellyfish
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:43 pm Finally picked up my pulls from the past few weeks, the first issue of this among them.

I haven't read HTBG yet, so I'm hopefully not missing anything by reading this first but I loved it. Great setup, I especially love the Sons of Giants cult, which is something I've been wanting in a Godzilla story for a long time now. Excited to see where this goes.
    I won't provide major spoiler or monster spoilers, but HTBD is mostly about a pirate retelling a crazy adventure. The framing device hints and introduces the Sons of Giant Cult. However, based on the first issue of HTBDSOG2, it seems like it's enjoyable if you haven't read one.

I think in retrospect this comic will make HTBD 1 even better. It's enjoyable as it's own story.