Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

Post by Pkmatrix »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:10 am
Pkmatrix wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:14 am
mikelcho wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:19 pm IIRC, the Brontosaurus had an actual entire scene in One Million Years B.C. where (I think) it encounters the Rock Tribe, but it was cut. Is this scene on the Blu-ray of this film as a bonus feature?
Oh, there was an actual scene filmed? I'll have to crack open my copy of Ray Harryhausen's book, I don't remember that.
If you look three posts above this one, there's the title of a book listed that definitely not only mentions it, but shows a black and white still from it. This book, btw, was also the first time I had ever heard of this anywhere.
I saw, but I have a copy of An Illustrated Life at home and figure if a scene was filmed it should be mentioned in there.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I found out a lot about Disney Dinosaur's production and I'm wondering if this is the right place to post about it, because it's one of my favorite movies ever (I give scientific inaccuracy as pass if it's not meant to be a documentary) because it further elevated my love of dinosaurs to the extreme, little me felt the mass and scale of these lipped Iguanodons and their other scaly companions in a way that felt so real to me and the drier and bumpier skin on them really made them feel prehistoric and huge.

The thing of interest that brought me here was finding out what the mid-90's draft of the film was like, it was essentially going to be the Bible but with dinosaurs as Aladar was named "Noah" and he'd have a brother named "Cain" who serves as the prototype for Kron as he'd still become the harsh leader of the herd. Noah the Iguanodon would have the ability to see prophetic visions of the incoming extinction and no one would believe him except his pal, Adam the lemur (who would later become Zini in the final film) and despite Noah being the outcast especially for having a lemur by his side, he of course does everything in his power to try to ensure the herd's survival.

Two animation tests from this draft of the film exist, they depict Iguanodon's with beaks! Disney deemed the talking animations with beaks to be very awkward with limited emotion and so they added lips over them (the beaks are actually still there but they are blended in a way that makes them look like teeth).

https://youtu.be/kOwj2L4br0U?si=SPObvio2Py2X9AUa

https://youtu.be/hZDvd_uqvnM?si=wfXY64sNhOgWS8GV

In the comments section of the second test, I found Robert Beech (who did VFX work on the film and comments about it on YouTube videos) and this is what he had to say after I asked about why the characters were given biblical names in the original draft and why Kron and Bruton look so different from the other iguanodons, this was his response and it was really interesting especially pertaining to how the original draft would have ended.

"In the original story treatment, Noah has visions of the coming catastrophe, like biblical Noah and the coming flood. Also, the impact happens at the END of the picture and All the dinosaurs DIE. Only the two lemurs escape to repopulate the world, hence Adam and Eve. Kron and Bruton were given distinctive snouts so the audience could recognize them." - Robert Beech

So essentially, we'd all be ancestors of two lemurs in this film's universe had it been made this way... What a trip I tell you, especially as a person raised in Roman Catholicism, dinosaurs and Bible are an odd but interesting mix for sure.
Last edited by AllosaurHell on Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Former WWE fan, Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.
You can find me elsewhere here, I make various kinds of content on my YouTube but I'm still working on my uploading schedule:

https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Brandon Tenold gives his take on THE VALLEY OF GWANGI.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I watched VoG last week, and it is much better than Beast of Hollow Mountain.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

barondoggy
Samurai

Post by barondoggy »

Bluezilla wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm Yes, it does. If I remember right he only included a few of the Japanese films that included Godzilla and Rodman.
I don't remember Dennis Rodman being in any Japanese monster movies. :-?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I completely missed the above post about the Biblical concept for Dinosaur until just now. What a wild idea. It isn't exactly hard to see why Disney didn't go for it, but it probably would have been much more interesting and unique than what we got. I would have loved to see some other studio take a shot at it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:51 am I completely missed the above post about the Biblical concept for Dinosaur until just now. What a wild idea. It isn't exactly hard to see why Disney didn't go for it, but it probably would have been much more interesting and unique than what we got. I would have loved to see some other studio take a shot at it.
A lot of people hail Disney's Dinosaur as this great missed opportunity that could've been absolutely amazing. But when you really look into it, Disney was never going to allow the hyper-violent, biblical version and a lot of story ideas don't really sound that much better than what we got, even if what we got was just fine.
Last edited by Gojira18 on Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[GxK] feels like a proof of concept for Legendary to make a film entirely by AI. Monster fights are the one thing it offers and it fucks them mostly too, every other aspect of the film is dogshit and it seems to genuinely mock its audience for watching it."
-Anonymous