The "GxK 3/Monsterverse 6" News, Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Re: The "GxK 3/Monsterverse 6" News, Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Neogeddon »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:49 pm Rumors a month ago by someone who has had good info is that this film would be sold as some sort of epic conclusion/finale
I'd bet my left buttcheek that that's the pitch they'll go with for all of them from now on. Worked for GxK.
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

When was GxK pitched as a finale?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:49 pm Space G ain’t happening. Destroyah might though….

Rumors a month ago by someone who has had good info is that this film would be sold as some sort of epic conclusion/finale
I don't know if they'll get Destoroyah but I could see something inspired by it for sure with the Oxygen Destroyer being used.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:51 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:49 pm Space G ain’t happening. Destroyah might though….

Rumors a month ago by someone who has had good info is that this film would be sold as some sort of epic conclusion/finale
I don't know if they'll get Destoroyah but I could see something inspired by it for sure with the Oxygen Destroyer being used.
You mean THE Oxygen Destroyer that was part of a whole character arc and was an allegory for even worse weapons than atomic bombs which itself is the equivalent of what Godzilla is as a natural reaction of humanities wrong-doings and sparked an emotional sacrifice scene by one of the major protagonists of the franchise, who decided to get close in contact with Godzilla himself and sacrificed his life to give humanity a spark of hope and peace?

Or that oxygen destroyer that was merely a name drop in one movie and could've been anything else, denying to carry even the sleightest weight of what the original stood for just for the sake of fanservice?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The 2019 abomination must never be addressed by the Sacred Name. It is henceforth now and forever to be known as ODINO and scorned wherever it goes. It shall never be associated with the Highest and Most Exalted of Superweapons, our blessed Oxygen Destroyer.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dyrakro wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:13 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:51 pm

You mean THE Oxygen Destroyer that was part of a whole character arc and was an allegory for even worse weapons than atomic bombs which itself is the equivalent of what Godzilla is as a natural reaction of humanities wrong-doings and sparked an emotional sacrifice scene by one of the major protagonists of the franchise, who decided to get close in contact with Godzilla himself and sacrificed his life to give humanity a spark of hope and peace?

Or that oxygen destroyer that was merely a name drop in one movie and could've been anything else, denying to carry even the sleightest weight of what the original stood for just for the sake of fanservice?
Thank you for confirming my point about kotm the the OD I have been saying since 2019.

Added in 47 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:45 am The 2019 abomination must never be addressed by the Sacred Name. It is henceforth now and forever to be known as ODINO and scorned wherever it goes. It shall never be associated with the Highest and Most Exalted of Superweapons, our blessed Oxygen Destroyer.
The 2019 OD still killed Godzilla, he just got lucky and his heart restarted.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:31 am Added in 47 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:45 am The 2019 abomination must never be addressed by the Sacred Name. It is henceforth now and forever to be known as ODINO and scorned wherever it goes. It shall never be associated with the Highest and Most Exalted of Superweapons, our blessed Oxygen Destroyer.
The 2019 OD still killed Godzilla, he just got lucky and his heart restarted.
Indeed it did. I was just poking fun at Dyrako's random passionate tangent there. ;)

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

For whatever it’s worth, the Oxygen Destroyer in KotM did serve the purpose of letting the characters realize that Ghidorah is an alien. It’s still pretty lame that a poignant allegory in the original film was reduced to a fanservicey plot device 65 years later.

Anyway, if this is going to be treated as a “finale” of sorts, then I guess Destroyah would work. Of course, we know Godzilla isn’t allowed to die, but I wonder if they plan to kill off Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Garzon wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:21 pm For whatever it’s worth, the Oxygen Destroyer in KotM did serve the purpose of letting the characters realize that Ghidorah is an alien. It’s still pretty lame that a poignant allegory in the original film was reduced to a fanservicey plot device 65 years later.

Anyway, if this is going to be treated as a “finale” of sorts, then I guess Destroyah would work. Of course, we know Godzilla isn’t allowed to die, but I wonder if they plan to kill off Kong.
I don't think there is a hard no kill Godzilla rule as much as its humans can't kill him or he can't die unless a Godzilla offspring is around. There's always conflicting reports from Toho.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

In the end, it will obviously come down to money. If a proposed storyline involving Godzilla's death looks to be popular and profitable enough, and doesn't do anything to choke off sequel potential, Toho will green light it.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:29 pm Indeed it did. I was just poking fun at Dyrako's random passionate tangent there. ;)
Can't help it, man, KotM surely is that one movie that killed my whole interest in the MV for quite a while. I loved how King Gidorah and Rodan looked like, the story itself was pretty interesting, even though the conclusion was pretty bland and I loved the new tracks by McCreary alongside all the visuals.

But the treatment of what 2014 set up, the whole style, the unnecessary humor and worst of all the usage of fanservice in a way that seems like upper management read some wikia articles about Godzilla and just implemented what they found without any actual thoughts given just killed it to me.

GxK had some slips too, like bringing back Mothra but having no reference to the Mothra Twins who were setup in KotM.

I do know these movies are for general audiences who don't care about details and the franchise as a whole. It still just feels lazy.
Last edited by Dyrakro on Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Dyrakro wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:16 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:29 pm Indeed it did. I was just poking fun at Dyrako's random passionate tangent there. ;)
Can't help it, man, KotM surely is that one movie that killed my whole interest in the MV for quite a while. I loved how King Gidorah and Rodan looked like, the story itself was pretty interesting, even though the conclusion was pretty bland and I loved the new tracks by McCreary alongside all the visuals.

But the treatment of what 2014 set up, the whole style, the unnecessary humor and worst of all the usage of fanservice in a way that seems like upper management read some wikia articles about Godzilla and just implemented what they found without any actual thoughts given just killed it to me.
Oh, I don't blame you. KOTM was a movie I had fun with, and there were plenty of good points I can list and have defended in the past. But it had its sloppy basic blockbuster problems, too, with the Oxygen Destroyer being the most egregious. I won't argue with anyone who can't stand the movie, even if my policy is to prioritize the good and enjoy what I can.

OD aside, I completely forgive the fanservice for the simple reason that one of the Easter eggs was Raptor One. That's not a basic, baby's first Godzilla reference like Monster Zero or 1956 or bringing back Burning Godzilla. That's an obscure deep cut aimed at a narrow little group of fans of which I am one. Godzilla 2000 was Muh Childhood. 8-)

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:35 am
Dyrakro wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:16 am

Oh, I don't blame you. KOTM was a movie I had fun with, and there were plenty of good points I can list and have defended in the past. But it had its sloppy basic blockbuster problems, too, with the Oxygen Destroyer being the most egregious. I won't argue with anyone who can't stand the movie, even if my policy is to prioritize the good and enjoy what I can.

OD aside, I completely forgive the fanservice for the simple reason that one of the Easter eggs was Raptor One. That's not a basic, baby's first Godzilla reference like Monster Zero or 1956 or bringing back Burning Godzilla. That's an obscure deep cut aimed at a narrow little group of fans of which I am one. Godzilla 2000 was Muh Childhood. 8-)
I hope I didn't come off as rude!
This movie for sure is one where opinions divide. I absolutely despise KotM as a Godzilla film, but as a pure monster film? Absolute cinema!
On the other hand I'm a big fan of Godzilla Final Wars, you can trashtalk it all you want, I will always love it.

And you're absolutely right, one should always seek the good in any movie, after all there's for sure at least one person that gave it his all.

That's the kind of fanservice I enjoy too, those small-bits and easy to miss, just as much as fanservice that continues the gravitas of what we once had (which the OD lacked so much that aside of almost killing Godzilla, it was this very moment that almost killed the MV for me).

Back to topic, I do could imagine that if they expanded the existenxe of the OD in a future movie (GxK3 maybe?) it could be very well a setup for a villain similar to Destoroyah.

They could even take the usage of OD in KotM as the starting point for a new mutation. King Gidorah and Godzilla cells swimming in the sea, the energy delivered by the OD ... might as well lead to a Gidorah-Godzilla abomination.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

I just finished the first draft of the script. It's solid with good human character development without them being the focus, lots of monster action and some character surprises along the way. Long story short it starts out like a slasher film, Gigan is revealed to be one of the culprits, he's actually vicious and violent and ruthless. He is however the number 2 in the bad guy portion. The main villain is Gabra!!!

Problem is, I wasn't asked to write it....

Never mind....
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:49 pm Worst case scenario they'll back the money truck back up to Wingard and try at least one more if this shits the bed.
IK Wingard is divisive here but Legendary's pretty much guaranteed to bring him back at some point regardless of how Sputore's film goes. He's created two crowd-pleasing and profitable MV movies and is capable of working with a lower budget (largely due to his productions being well-planned from pre-pro to post-pro). He seemingly has a good relationship with higher-ups at WB+LP+TOHO, and he has a vision for another movie. Jury's out on whether they'll milk him like Michael Bay (I certainly hope they don't, and I am very glad that we're getting at least one new director before another Wingard film), but I'll bet that they're itching to bring him back for G&K 3 the moment his schedule opens up.

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

GojiSquid wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:40 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:49 pm Worst case scenario they'll back the money truck back up to Wingard and try at least one more if this shits the bed.
IK Wingard is divisive here but Legendary's pretty much guaranteed to bring him back at some point regardless of how Sputore's film goes. He's created two crowd-pleasing and profitable MV movies and is capable of working with a lower budget (largely due to his productions being well-planned from pre-pro to post-pro). He seemingly has a good relationship with higher-ups at WB+LP+TOHO, and he has a vision for another movie. Jury's out on whether they'll milk him like Michael Bay (I certainly hope they don't, and I am very glad that we're getting at least one new director before another Wingard film), but I'll bet that they're itching to bring him back for G&K 3 the moment his schedule opens up.
At the same time, this time to work on other films will be good for him because it'll give him some added skills and experience that he can hopefully bring into whatever MV film he comes back too.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Firstly, I would just like to say Adam Wingard sucks as a director.
Legendary's pretty much guaranteed to bring him back at some point regardless of how Sputore's film goes
Regardless? If Sputore's film is the one that finally cracks the $600m barrier, ain't nobody gonna have any rush to have Wingard again, fans or executives.
He's created two crowd-pleasing and profitable MV movies and is capable of working with a lower budget (largely due to his productions being well-planned from pre-pro to post-pro).
Factually, he has created the two worst movies in the franchise. Profitable? Maybe...but not is all that it seems. Godzilla vs Kong was as successful as it was because of its title. You could have had someone else make an even worse film(very hard to do but still possible) and it would have grossed as much as it did. And GxK's box office reception from some in this fanbase remains hysterical to this day. Nobody and I mean NOBODY went on and on about how massively successful G14 and KSI were financially. People just generally accept they were simply successful - not groundbreaking but good results. And they were solo films mind you. And now here comes GxK, with both monsters in the same film, with no pandemic excuse whatsoever...and what happens? It fails to beat G14 domestically and barely beats KSI worldwide. And yet people talk about this movie's box office like it's some massive hit. Why? Delusion....And well-planned? LOL! Have you seen how much the production of GvK changed?
Last edited by Moogabunga on Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Moogabunga wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:09 pm
Firstly, I would just like to say Adam Wingard sucks as a director.
Legendary's pretty much guaranteed to bring him back at some point regardless of how Sputore's film goes
Regardless? If Sputore's film is the one that finally cracks the $600m barrier, ain't nobody gonna have any rush to have Wingard again, fans or executives.
He's created two crowd-pleasing and profitable MV movies and is capable of working with a lower budget (largely due to his productions being well-planned from pre-pro to post-pro).
Factually, he has created the two worst movies in the franchise. Profitable? Maybe...but not is all that it seems. Godzilla vs Kong was as successful as it was because of its title. You could have had someone else make an even worse film(very hard to do but still possible) and it would have grossed as much as it did. And GxK's box office reception from some in this fanbase remains hysterical to this day. Nobody and I mean NOBODY went on and on about how massively successful G14 and KSI were financially. People just generally accept they were simply successful - not groundbreaking but good results. And they were solo films mind you. And now here comes GxK, with both monsters in the same film, with no pandemic excuse whatsoever...and what happens? It fails to beat G14 domestically and barely beats KSI worldwide. And yet people talk about this movie's box office like it's some massive hit. Why? Delusion....And well-planned? LOL! Have you seen how much the production of GvK changed?
You're looking for reasons to say why GxK failed because you don't like it. That's fine if that's your opinion as a fan but you shouldn't ignore the success the film had.

GvsK and GxK were both financially successful and GxK is the highest grossing MV film. Legendary doesn't care if it just barely beat anything they care that it made 580m and was more postive than negatively received which it was. If they cannot that again that's what they want.

It mattes little what this fanbase thinks because the majority of us are going to see these films at least once regardless at some films. If Shin Godzilla 2 was announced tomorrow, I wouldn't like it, but I would go see it. They need the GA to go see these films.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Dyrakro wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:34 am Back to topic, I do could imagine that if they expanded the existenxe of the OD in a future movie (GxK3 maybe?) it could be very well a setup for a villain similar to Destoroyah.

They could even take the usage of OD in KotM as the starting point for a new mutation. King Gidorah and Godzilla cells swimming in the sea, the energy delivered by the OD ... might as well lead to a Gidorah-Godzilla abomination.
I think one way to salvage the Oxygen Destroyer and potentially bring Destoroyah into the fray is capitalize on the hasty and rash use of the weapon being untested, having unforeseen consequences on the environment, and birthing a horrible, "man-made" Titan. This is in the spirit of the 1995 film where Destoroyah and the OD was meant to parallel Godzilla's advent from nuclear weaponry.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Spydrmanjr wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:53 pm
Dyrakro wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:34 am Back to topic, I do could imagine that if they expanded the existenxe of the OD in a future movie (GxK3 maybe?) it could be very well a setup for a villain similar to Destoroyah.

I think one way to salvage the Oxygen Destroyer and potentially bring Destoroyah into the fray is capitalize on the hasty and rash use of the weapon being untested, having unforeseen consequences on the environment, and birthing a horrible, "man-made" Titan. This is in the spirit of the 1995 film where Destoroyah and the OD was meant to parallel Godzilla's advent from nuclear weaponry.
Yeah it’s a good way to pull in the overall story arc of the films too… to make them feel more connected and complete.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer