Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:12 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:07 am You hear that everybody? Right now! >:( Temper them!
I known you're being sarcastic, but you do remember how much people bitched in 2019 right?
Yeah, kidding asides, I feel you. The first Criterion release seemed like it broke some people's brains.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Are we happy with the dubs that were luckily provided in the 2019 Showa set?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:25 pm Everyone needs to temper their expectations right now.

We're getting the same thing next month that we got from the Criterion set in 2019 - HI-Vision masters with slightly better subtitles.
Considering I missed out on the Bluray for GvKG/GvM and my DVD doesn't have subtitles for those two at ALL, I'll take it. :P

I can only hope that they subtitle the "Engrish" in Biollante as well. It's impossible to understand otherwise and detracts from the experience.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Anguirus wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:43 pm Are we happy with the dubs that were luckily provided in the 2019 Showa set?
What they included is fine quality wise but the lack of so many of the dubs is pretty infuriating.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

Yea I ended up keeping some dvds for the dubs they didn't have. It's whatever but it's more convenient to just have them all on there.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Anguirus wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:43 pm Are we happy with the dubs that were luckily provided in the 2019 Showa set?
Considering none of them were the Titra/Titan dubs, definitely not. I appreciate the set as it has all 15 films in their original Japanese, but that's about it. I kept any previous DVD or BRD that had those dubs (Classic Media DVDs, and S!F DAM Blu Ray) as well as I have downloaded all HD fan restorations that use the aforementioned dubs. So basically the Criterion BRD set is for when I want to watch the films in their original presentation, which is occasional. Of course the Amazon Prime Godzilla & Friends channel constantly streaming them gives the BRD far less use. But still nice as an archival experience, especially when streaming those titles inevitably goes away, or gets locked behind a paywall.

I understand Criterions hands were bound. I don't blame them, Toho were the ones being stingy. Arrow's Gamera set literally had everything! Every variant of dub, title card etc... Even if only as Bonus features. Of course the good thing about the Godzilla Heisei and Millennium eras is that with the exception of G1985 and 2000, all the dubs are the bland ones commissioned by Toho, so making a set of those films shouldn't be difficult. And honestly, if those dubs weren't included, I don't think many fans would mind since the nostalgic attachment isn't there like in the Showa era. I'm definitely glad though I do have a HD fan restoration of G1985, and the Sony Blu ray of Godzilla 2000, because I don't expect those versions to be on any compilation set Toho would release in North America moving forward.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

Keep your miramax Godzilla vs Biollante discs if you have them too. Their will probably never be a release with so many audio and sub options again.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Chaos Reincarnation wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:29 pm Keep your miramax Godzilla vs Biollante discs if you have them too. Their will probably never be a release with so many audio and sub options again.
Oh yeah. I have the first release from Echo Bridge (not the latter LionsGate one) Both the DVD (opened) and BRD (unopened). I mean love the film, but when I saw how quickly it went OOP, I just never opened my BRD for some reason. Still has the $7.99 sticker from K-Mart on it, One of the last things I bought before the store closed :lol:
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

o.supreme wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:51 am
Considering none of them were the Titra/Titan dubs, definitely not.
What about Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla? Criterion's set includes Toho's international dubs for both of them. Those dubs weren't recorded by Titra/Titan but they're the same dubs that the Mechagodzilla movies had when they first played in American theaters, the only English dubs they've ever had. They're both on the same disc in Criterion's set, which is convenient for watching a dubbed Mechagodzilla double-feature!

Monster Zero and Godzilla vs. Megalon also include their classic dubs. The US versions of Godzilla, King of the Monsters! and King Kong vs. Godzilla are included too, entire alternate cuts!

I personally don't care for the international dubs for Son of Godzilla or Destroy All Monsters but I'm glad that they're included to make both of those movies accessible to more people.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:51 pm
o.supreme wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:51 am
Considering none of them were the Titra/Titan dubs, definitely not.
Referring to other films....Those dubs weren't recorded by Titra/Titan.....
Thats the point. I'm ok with films that have no other dub, But the fact that:

MvG, GTTHM, GvSeaM, SoG, DAM, and GvSmogM didn't have the Dubs I enjoy most/ what i grew up with, and thus was a huge disappointment. Thankfully Fan Restorations have me covered so they are not stuck in the VHS/DVD era and potentially lost.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

^ Well, yeah, but Anguirus was asking if we're happy with the dubs that are included in the set, not if we're disappointed with the ones that aren't, and then you said the set has all 15 films in the original Japanese and that's about it.

There are more dubs to enjoy in this set beyond the inferior international dubs for Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters. What good is lamenting the classic dubs that aren't included if we overlook the ones that are? Godzilla, King of the Monsters!, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Monster Zero, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla... that's six wins for classic English dubs getting preserved on blu-ray disc. That's a lot to be happy about!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm still waiting for a definitive answer as to why the export dubs for Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan weren't on the Criterion set or were offered on Max. It's weird how the three films Krakken released are the three films that no longer have their dubs available.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I am curious to see the Criterion presentation of GvKG and GvM, the DVDs and Blu-ray were heavily "Sony-fied" with a Sony/Tri-star credit after the logos and removed end credits. I hope at least the latter are restored.

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

It has been 5 years since that Godzilla set, time has flown. I was hoping they would have released Rodan, Space Amoeba, War of the Gargantuas, Dogora ,etc in a set. Do they still have those films? Are they being saved for some reason?
Maybe they will be included in some ultimate Godzilla set with all the Godzilla films?
Anyway if anyone has heard anything, it's always appreciated!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Great Hierophant wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:31 pm I am curious to see the Criterion presentation of GvKG and GvM, the DVDs and Blu-ray were heavily "Sony-fied" with a Sony/Tri-star credit after the logos and removed end credits. I hope at least the latter are restored.
What streams on the Criterion Channel probably will be the same uncut transfers that Toho released on Japanese BRD in 2009, with the complete Japanese end credits, just with English subtitles for the main feature and the Janus Films logo at the very beginning.

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:20 pm I'm still waiting for a definitive answer as to why the export dubs for Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan weren't on the Criterion set or were offered on Max. It's weird how the three films Krakken released are the three films that no longer have their dubs available.
A definitive answer? From Criterion? That's never coming. Do we really need to have the specific terms spelled out for us, though? Whatever the exact reason is, obviously it boils down to Kraken.

It would be weird if it was something like Monster Zero or Terror of Mechagodzilla that had their international dubs left out of Criterion's licensing deal, any of the movies that hadn't previously been licensed directly from Toho and released on North American BRD with their international dubs. There would have been no discernible reason for something like that.

Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan, though? Those are the exact three Showa Godzilla movies that Kraken licensed from Toho and released on DVD and BRD with their international dubs five years before Criterion released their set. Clearly that's not a coincidence.

Remember that it was in 2017, just three years after Kraken's releases, when eleven of the Showa Godzilla movies (plus Rodan and War of the Gargantuas) first appeared on Starz streaming with Criterion/Janus logos. The only four that weren't included at that point? King Kong vs. Godzilla of course, plus Sea Monster, Hedorah and Gigan.

Kraken must have been the reason why Criterion couldn't get those latter three movies in 2017, and Kraken must have been the reason why Criterion couldn't get those three international dubs in 2019. Maybe the expiration date for Kraken's license to those dubs really was later than their expiration date for the movies themselves, or maybe Toho mishandled their records of licensing Kraken those dubs and just didn't want to risk licensing them to Criterion without being sure that Kraken's license had expired. Whatever the exact reason is, the bottom line is that if Kraken hadn't licensed and released those movies in 2014, they would have had their international dubs included in Criterion's set.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I’ve been in the fandom long enough to know that the Toho of years prior is far different from the Toho of today. Anything could’ve happened behind the scenes as far as I’m concerned.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:23 am I’ve been in the fandom long enough to know that the Toho of years prior is far different from the Toho of today. Anything could’ve happened behind the scenes as far as I’m concerned.
The Criterion set came out in 2019. It's been a little under 5 years but I don't think Toho has changed enough to expect anything remarkable out of how Janus is able to handle the Heisei series. The more time has passed the more nuts Toho has been with how the movies have been handled internationally. I don't think that's changing now.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Toho seems to be inching towards embracing the western audience but not to the point where I'm anticipating better home video treatment.
There's the old "we don't want domestic audiences importing cheaper American blu rays" thing, which I don't anticipate changing. But on the flip they do seem to finally be taking little steps here and there to make things more available to the west.
Maybe things will get better in a few more years.
Like Legion said, it's been 5 years since the Critty debacle. I can't imagine things have changed that much in that time.

It's crazy to me that when I was a kid the dubs were almost all that was available until the '04 Sony and '06 Classic Media DVDs, and people were craving unedited Japanese language releases. Back then it seemed like the fandom would have been totally cool with the Criterion set and it's overall lack of dubs.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The Showa films are everywhere. Godzilla Channel, Max, YouTube, Tokushoutsu, Criterion Channel, the physical box set. Toho has allowed Janus to make these films more accessible than ever before. If you say you don't know how to see these movies I really question how much you care about them. I'm sure eventually these first four Heisei films will be everywhere too

BUT this is still on Toho's terms. They supply the masters and they demand what audio options Janus can use. I don't see things being any different next month.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:56 am The Showa films are everywhere. Godzilla Channel, Max, YouTube, Tokushoutsu, Criterion Channel, the physical box set. If you say you don't know how to see these movies I really question how much you care about them.
At least in my age group, the Criterion Channel isn't very well known, and I don't know any people who purchase films from Youtube. And Max isn't even available outside the US. I don't blame people for not knowing where to look. You'll be surprised how many people only watch what shows up on Netflix and other popular streaming services.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.