Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons & Sons Of Giants Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons Discussion

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Really good speculation all around, and the more I think of it, I would like a follow-up. I was a little critical of the series 1-3, with how much it was establishing and choices it was making, but issue 4 180'd that and made me realize how purposeful a lot of those creative decisions. It would suck if they built up all this and it just ended, and I like your idea for a sequel series.

I think before issue 5 releases I'm going to re-read issues 1-4. I think this is the type of comic that works well in trade better than individual issues.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

A new RI cover by Scott Godlewski has recently surfaced (Not a big fan of it to be honest…Kirkham and Miranda’s covers are superior imo):

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

HTBD #5 is only a few days away. Very sad this is coming to end (went by very fast). A preview of the first several pages is up:

More pages can be seen in the preview on flickeringmyth.com:

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2023/10/ ... dragons-5/
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^Thanks for sharing. Oodako looks cool, and I like that it gets some minor characterization through the narration. It’s kinda funny comparing Godzilla to a captain of the ship, and the other monsters as mutineers. This is the type of pirate stuff I wanted.

Also looks like smartly the comic is diving right into the action. Really, really looking forward to this final issue.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Issue 5 solidified this as one of my favorite Godzilla comics, and it certainly lived up to everything I wanted!

I'll elaborate later, but while initially I felt it was slow and had some issues, it sure turned around! I can now really appreciate issues 1, 2, and 3 a lot more as well. Might re-read the entire thing from beginning to end now.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Just read this, and had a blast. Issue #5 has an uneasy task of wrapping up quite a few story threads (Blanco/Drake's rivalry, the Tull & Walsingham interrogation arc, Godzilla vs Ebirah/Giant Octopus, the discovered treasure, the Sons of Giants/Queen Elizabeth connection, etc.)....if not executed correctly, then this final issue had the potential to turn into a colossal train wreck. Thankfully, Frank Tieri managed to pull it off, as the final issue was told in a tight, brisk manner, resulting in a solid final issue. The "pacing issues" in issues #2 & 3 actually flow much better when reading this series as a finished product.

I don't really have an extensive "Things I liked / Disliked" list this time around...just good stuff all around. The battle between Godzilla and Ebirah/the Giant Octopus might very well have to be added to my "favorite kaiju comic fights" rankings, as it was highly entertaining and was actually suspenseful as opposed to being a mismatch that some might assumed it would be.

My only gripe (if you can call it that) is that the supposedly "shocking" ending could be seen coming a mile away (i.e. the "Reservoir Dogs / The Departed" approach). Otherwise, a nice, fun way to wrap everything up. Thanks to issue #5, HTBD goes into my "Top Tier" list of minis, alongside HCW, RAT, & GvMMPR.

Very sad this has ended....Hope another mini or further installments of Rivals VS will be announced soon.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:33 amThe "pacing issues" in issues #2 & 3 actually flow much better when reading this series as a finished product.
In total agreement. A lot of my complaints were focused on monsters not appearing, and set up, but in the end it wrapped up nicely in a way that makes some of the “pacing issues” in 2+3 feel very purposeful. A lot of little things, both writing choices and artistic choices, feel very purposeful. Set ups and payoffs.

A small example, is in issue 3 I felt it was sort of weird that a lot of focus was put on Ebirah’s mouth. It felt very wide, and gross. Why was that done? Well, issue 5 answers that!

There’s some issues I had with the lack of monsters with issues 1-3, but now in retrospect it makes perfect sense why to be conservative with the monster cast. They’re saving a big surprise (Oodako) and in universe it doesn’t make sense if monsters are common knowledge. It also allows the more basic Ebirah and Oodako to have a more pronounced presence and not have the spotlight stolen.

Thumbs up to handling Oodako and Ebirah really well. Both are obscure Godzilla monsters (especially the former), and don’t really have many abilities to play off and makes things interesting. This however, managed to set up a dynamic through visuals and narration, that while brief, was a blast to see.

Would be curious to see more comics based on the cult! But also, I’m satisfied with keeping them mysterious.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

YT reviews for this are popping up a bit faster than the past few issues. Here is JTISREBORN's review:

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I really liked this!

Good way to wrap up both the kaiju and human plot threads, with the 3-way kaiju brawl being very entertaining. The human aspect, though if a bit predictable, had good banter. The Godzilla-captain analogy was a plus, too.

A strong ending to a good concept of a series.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Mothra_Virgo
Yojimbo

Post by Mothra_Virgo »

I thought HTBD was excellent. I think I avoided most of the pitfalls of monster presence and pacing by reading the whole thing in one go. Plus I just rewatched all the Pirates of the Caribbean series so HTBD scratched a Godzilla crossover itch I didn't even know I had!

Mothra_Virgo
Yojimbo

Post by Mothra_Virgo »

I was hoping to add this to my previous post by edit but couldn't figure out how so I'm posting it here. If that's against the rules please delete.

I just had my Godzilla HTBD article published over at the website I write for. I thought it was such a banger it deserved a bit of extra attention!

It was my first Goji article but I'm gonna try and get through a few more comics soon so hopefully this won't be the last!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Here There Be Dragons Discussion

Post by Shenanigans »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:21 pm There's so much lore with the cult and the conspiracy, the temple and the island as a whole - I just don't want it to end. They put a lot of time into building such a cool little world here, unlike anything we've seen in any Godzilla story before. Every issue is just adding more and more, and issue #4 here made it even clearer that there's a far bigger world of monsters than was previously suggested. Honestly, it'd be heartbreaking if this series didn't get a continuation...

'Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons II - Sons of Giants' Comic Drops in June

Thank you for listening to me Mr. IDW. :angel:

Seriously, I'm over the moon about this. I keep saying IDW's at the top of their game with every new comic announcement - which, these days, is every other week it seems - but they keep proving how accurate that is. I know I'm not the only one who was truly engrossed in the world-building of this series, so the prospect of more is truly incredible. God damn... I'm so happy. :D
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Just when I thought IDW couldnt surpise me even more!!! Cool that theyre expanding from the pirate angle and going all-out with different time periods + secret society aspect.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Perfect. Here there be dragons was awesome, and my only complaints by the end were related to wanting to see more this world and know more about the sons of giants. Wonder what the monster selection will be this time.

Also, one thing I noticed is IDW no longer does a “Godzilla ongoing”. It seems like they do miniseries, and if they do well, some sort of follow up. They’ve done this for MMPR and Monsters and Protectors.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons - Sons of Giants Discussion

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

First a GvsMMPR follow-up, and now a HTBD sequel...great news all around. This description of this has major Rage Across Time vibes with the Feudal Japan, Ancient Rome, Ancient Egypt, and Revolutionary America era settings. The Sons of Giants was one of the most intriguing aspects of HTBD, so eager to see what Tieri and Miranda have in store.

I love the A cover. by Miranda....the Gavin Smith B cover, not so much. Hope Tyler Kirkham is brought back to do some more incentive covers, as he really killed it with his HTBD covers

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons & Sons Of Giants Discussion

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Nothing earth-shattering in terms of news, but IDW's website has just listed a special limited HTBD Trade Back for sale, signed by Frank Tieri:

https://idwpublishing.com/products/godz ... 277069099

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Thanks to Kaijukurt for posting the A cover earlier in the IDW thread. Here is cover B for SOG #2:

Both A & B are both good covers (though a bit too similar), but I'm not really digging this take on Hedorah, as it seems they're making his appearance a bit too "Krakken/Cthulhu"-esque for my tastes...
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 pm Thanks to Kaijukurt for posting the A cover earlier in the IDW thread. Here is cover B for SOG #2:

Both A & B are both good covers (though a bit too similar), but I'm not really digging this take on Hedorah, as it seems they're making his appearance a bit too "Krakken/Cthulhu"-esque for my tastes...
If they really do go with the Cthulhu approach, I'll be VERY surprised Toho allowed that!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Interview with Frank Tieri along with a preview of several pages for SOG#1 is up now on the G store news website:

https://godzilla.com/blogs/news/intervi ... dragons-ii
Interview: Writer Frank Tieri Talks 'Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons II'
See what Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons II - Sons of Giants #1 writer Frank Tieri has in store for the sequel to the Eisner-nominated comic series.
Fresh from receiving two Eisner Award nominations for Best Limited Series and Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team, writer Frank Tieri and artist Inaki Miranda are back for more Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons at IDW Publishing. Launching June 26 in comic shops and online, Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons II - Sons of Giants #1 will explore the conspiracy that drove Sir Francis Drake to hide his treasure on Monster Island, and the secret society influencing events from the shadows. We got in touch with Tieri to learn more about the sequel series. Read on for the full interview, plus an 8-page preview of the first issue.

Godzilla.com: How does it feel to have Godzilla: Here There be Dragons receive two Eisner Award nominations for Best Limited Series and Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team?

Frank Tieri: Very, very pleasantly surprised. And equally very, very grateful.

Look, for me personally, I’ve been doing this for over 20 plus years. I’ve had a nice career during that time where I’m known for doing a lot of stuff like Space Punisher and Yogi Bear vs. Deathstroke and Jughead: The Hunger. So, maybe comics that fans like but not the type of comics that would get Eisner consideration, ya know? lol

The truth is, I like doing projects that are off the beaten trail… and certainly a book about Godzilla and pirates fit that bill, right? And thankfully, this book just hit with people. We came up with this crazy ride with giant monsters, pirates, historical figures, lost treasure, secret societies, etc—and people really dug it. They supported it. Especially Godzilla fans. And believe me, I love ‘em for it. We’re not here right now talking about a sequel or an Eisner or anything like that if not for them.

And might I add we’re not here right now talking about any of this without the incredible team behind this book. Jamie, Inaki, Jake, Eva, Nate… everyone brought their A game to this. I can’t thank them all enough for making me look good.

Godzilla.com: Here There Be Dragons II introduces new characters and new time periods to the story you set in motion in Part 1. Did you have this fuller story in mind from the beginning? Or did you discover this next phase as you worked on Part 1?

Frank Tieri: Well, credit where credit is due, (IDW Publishing Editor-In-Chief) Jamie S. Rich saw the potential in this having a life beyond the initial series right from the start. That’s why he rescued it from developmental hell. (Mark Irwin originally brought me into IDW when he was there, I developed the pitch with John Barber and then it sat for a year and a half until Jamie came along) But honestly, if you’re asking if we thought there’d be a definite sequel from the start… well, we really didn’t plan for it that way. Hoped was more like it.

We knew the Sons of Giants—the secret organization that has existed for centuries and is behind the conspiracy in Godzilla: Here There be Dragons—would be the focal point if we were going to do something beyond the original series. There was such more story to tell there… who are the Sons? Where did they come from? What surprising historical figures are members? And most importantly…What is their mission when it comes to the kaijus? We’ll learn all this and more through SONS OF GIANTS… and in the NEXT series (Oops. Probably shouldn’t have said that 😉)

Godzilla.com: Godzilla stories always work to balance human and monster cast screen -- or in this case, "panel" -- time. What's your approach to this balancing act?

Frank Tieri: Look, we all know why people buy a Godzilla comic—they want to see the big guy and his giant monster buds and they want to see them destroy a lot of stuff and kick the living kaiju crap out of each other. So we have plenty of that in there. Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Hedorah, King Ghidorah… they all play significant roles in this series. (There are others that show up, but I’ll keep that under my hat for now)

But you have to make the human stuff compelling as well. That’s what we did throughout the first series—with this undiscovered lost voyage of Sir Francis Drake-- and that’s what we’ll do here.

We have two major eras at play in the series—1809 and ancient Rome. Our story in ancient Rome begins with a Godzilla attack… and things spiral out from there. In 1809 it’s really the Hamilton/ Burr duel that kicks things off—and things also spiral out from there. And that’s all you’re getting from me for now…

Godzilla.com: Which Godzilla films or other media most shaped your and artist Inaki Miranda's Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons versions of the Toho monsters?

Frank Tieri: Really all the Godzilla movies to some degree, even the most recent ones. Especially when it came to the look of Godzilla itself and the other monsters. I mean, the whole concept of Monster Island as we feature in the series comes straight from the Godzilla movies, ya know?

But story wise we had some other influences as well. Everything from Kong: Skull Island to Pirates of the Caribbean to the works of Jules Verne. Hell, even the TV show LOST was one. Maybe a smidge of Gilligan's Island, too, now that I think about it…

Godzilla.com: As a fan, what's your personal favorite Godzilla movie or other piece of media?

Frank Tieri: I admit I have a soft spot for Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster. It’s really the first Godzilla movie I can remember seeing as a kid, so that plays a big part of it. (And yes, I know the proper title is Godzilla vs. Hedorah, but that’s not how I remember it as that’s not how it was initially released in the US). It’s why Hedorah is probably my favorite of Godzilla’s rogues gallery, and partly why you’ll see him play a more prominent role in the story we’re telling here.

Godzilla.com: We ask everyone this, but which, if any, Godzilla toys do you keep around?

Frank Tieri: I mainly have a number of Godzilla t-shirts and I have a Godzilla figure, but for me it’s mainly about the Godzilla toy I DON’T have… and that’s the Shogun Warriors Godzilla from when I was a kid. It’s like my Rosebud, man. I remember it had this weird feature where you press a button and Godzilla’s hand shoots at you for some strange reason. Like… why? Is there any version of him where he was ever able to do that? Anyway, I lost one of the hands and eventually my mom threw it out (Isn’t that always the case?). So yeah… I want my Shogun Warriors Godzilla back. Preferably with hands.

Read the first eight pages from Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons II - Sons of Giants #1 below:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Some fantastic covers for issue #3: