Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Really are the Netflix ones better? Hm I figured "totally ineffective" being Koichi snapping back into military mode giving mechanical replies and updates. Maybe I should give a proper Netflix one a watch.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Do they all have the same subs or is just Netflix different?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Finally got to see Minus One thanx to it coming to Netflix. I don't live close enough to a theater to walk to one and back, and had no one to take me to the movies when Minus One was in theaters.

What an absolutely amazing film! Has dethroned Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (1974) as my favourite Godzilla film >^-^<

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:12 pm Do they all have the same subs or is just Netflix different?
There are actually two subtitle tracks on Netflix. The theatrical subtitles ("Completely ineffective!") are simply labeled "English", while the other, labeled "English (CC)", is a dubtitle track.
Last edited by NSZ on Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Whatever version of dubbing I watched last night I really thought they did well. If I didn't watch their mouths closely, I wouldn't have felt their performances were out of place. Voice actors did a really good job.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I can’t get into live action dubbing in general. Dubbing in animation is one thing, but there’s always something weird and uncanny to me about dubbing over real people into a different language.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Garzon wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:33 pm I can’t get into live action dubbing in general. Dubbing in animation is one thing, but there’s always something weird and uncanny to me about dubbing over real people into a different language.
That's exactly how I am. Anime works because it's dubbed either way and you have more leeway with animation accuracy. Dubbing over people is really uncanny to me as well and I can't stand it, outside of older Godzilla dubs I grew up with and I have a nostalgic/personal connection to.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

azwepa62
Young Farmer

Post by azwepa62 »

My wife and I watched the film with the dubbed English track first (having seen the film in the theater several times), and were disappointed about a couple of things. The voiceovers often fell short of the emotions of the actors on screen, which we felt left the film feeling a little flat. There were also some phrasings that took away from what was happening in the scene (or foreshadowed the next scene). It’s not terrible, but I think the film is stronger in Japanese with the original subtitles.
Last edited by azwepa62 on Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I feel like a dub would really ruin the tone of Minus One unless it was somehow done really well.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I swear when I watched it the other night the subs still said "completely ineffective."

However, I did notice they fixed the #1 thing that bothered me from the theatrical subs: they now call the balloons "flotation devices" instead of "levitation" devices.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:20 pm I swear when I watched it the other night the subs still said "completely ineffective."

However, I did notice they fixed the #1 thing that bothered me from the theatrical subs: they now call the balloons "flotation devices" instead of "levitation" devices.
NSZ wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:49 pm There are actually two subtitle tracks on Netflix. The theatrical subtitles ("Completely ineffective!") are simply labeled "English", while the other, labeled "English (CC)", is a dubtitle track.
Hope this helps!
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Can someone who is more knowledgeable of physics explain to me how realistic is was that Godzilla's atomic breath would create a kind of blowback that it had, is that something that happens with massive impacts, like a nuclear explosion?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

KingKaiju wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:11 am Can someone who is more knowledgeable of physics explain to me how realistic is was that Godzilla's atomic breath would create a kind of blowback that it had, is that something that happens with massive impacts, like a nuclear explosion?
Yes

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

All explosions create a vacuum; small explosions create smaller vacuums and massive explosions create massive vacuums. After detonation there is the shockwave and explosive extension. Once that reaches its peak, the reverse occurs and creates a vacuum and area of compression.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Well, that's pretty fucking terrifying. Hopefully I or any of my loved ones will never have to experience that.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

*Nervously eyes Russia.*

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Honest Trailers just gave this movie their treatment. Makes me wonder if HISHE could do it too?

goji4ever
Ronin

Post by goji4ever »

Lots of “reactor” channels on Youtube are also putting in their content with Minus One now. Not sure if the reactions are by way of Monsterverse and the audience saying do Minus One. All the impressions are positive, though it is cringey to see the fake “loud for the sake of loud” types try to inject their fake “loud” energy into it… of note is that all reactions are with subs (probably no dub access until recent).. By virtue of Minus One they then go to Shin.. and so on and thus the Gospel of the King spreads.
In having the global market acknowledge that Minus One is special it would have been nice if Toho just held firm and didnt dub in this case (at least for streams).. Options will be options I suppose

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji4ever wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:53 pm In having the global market acknowledge that Minus One is special it would have been nice if Toho just held firm and didnt dub in this case (at least for streams).. Options will be options I suppose
Even if dubs are the lesser experience, it might be argued that they are an accessibility option. I'd rather they have dubs than not. Same does for their older releases in the West.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Dubs are essential. Young kids can't keep up with subs, lots of adults don't want to, people with bad vision might struggle with them, etc. Dubs make media available to a wider audience.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio