The "GxK 3/Monsterverse 6" News, Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Re: The "GxK 3/Monsterverse 6" News, Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Garzon »

Petezilla wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:01 pm Imagine if they actually made 'New Empire' a solo Kong film. Keeping that original magical flying Iwi-Goddess-Kaiju Fosphera (instead of that senseless out-of-character re-incarnation of Mothra...). Fosphera could have been made mighty enough to aid Kong in his helpless efforts against the Ape Commando and Shimo.

This movie could have done totally without Godzilla and it would have even made more sense that way. Godzilla was so damn down after facing both Kong and then Mechagodzilla in GvsK, he could have simply been mentioned slumbering in that arctic ice cave, slowly (!) recharging himself using the solar particle flow. And then have him wreck sh*t in the next movie.
I don’t even think Shimo would've been necessary without Godzilla. She was basically there to serve as a credible threat to the Big G.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Petezilla wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:01 pm Imagine if they actually made 'New Empire' a solo Kong film. Keeping that original magical flying Iwi-Goddess-Kaiju Fosphera (instead of that senseless out-of-character re-incarnation of Mothra...). Fosphera could have been made mighty enough to aid Kong in his helpless efforts against the Ape Commando and Shimo.

This movie could have done totally without Godzilla and it would have even made more sense that way. Godzilla was so damn down after facing both Kong and then Mechagodzilla in GvsK, he could have simply been mentioned slumbering in that arctic ice cave, slowly (!) recharging himself using the solar particle flow. And then have him wreck sh*t in the next movie.
And then there's a chance this doesn't make 570m dollars at the box office. From Legendary and Toho's pov there was no down added to Godzilla in this and we even had people here who said they had no intrreast with no Godzilla. On top of that Godzilla being here played off Minus One being so good so that brought some more eyes.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

dillonking55 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:33 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:13 pm March 26th 2027 would fit would the last two films and would mean they are rushing.
I don't see how it's rushing. It would be the same wait gap as GvK to GxK. Seems like Legendary already knows where to go with the next film.

They are working on the script now and will likely start preproduction later this year. Filming should start sometime next year. Post production in 2026.

Legendary is already 5 films in with this franchise + a TV show. I think they know how to go about with these films at this point.

Added in 3 minutes 37 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:15 pm

And then there's a chance this doesn't make 570m dollars at the box office. From Legendary and Toho's pov there was no down added to Godzilla in this and we even had people here who said they had no intrreast with no Godzilla. On top of that Godzilla being here played off Minus One being so good so that brought some more eyes.
I kinda regret saying that because Legendary just hamfisted him into this movie and it SUCKS as a result. Its clear as day that hes an afterhought, which is why they cut the shit out of the movie and had it blisteringly fast paced to try and hide it.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legendary has made 5 films now whith 3 making North of 500m, obe making 400+ do to covid and the other making near 400m itself.

Yes the lowest grossing film still made near 400m.

At this point everyone is free as a fan to no like the Monsterverse or even Toho if you don't like what they're doing but at this point it feels foolish to question the studios.

Godzilla has two franchises going at the same time and both of them have been the greatest success he has had in 70 years.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:49 pm Legendary has made 5 films now whith 3 making North of 500m, obe making 400+ do to covid and the other making near 400m itself.

At this point everyone is free as a fan to no like the Monsterverse or even Toho if you don't like what they're doing but at this point it feels foolish to question the studios.

Godzilla has two franchises going at the same time and both of them have been the greatest success he has had in 70 years.
Money doesnt matter - not in a universe where Disney slop makes billions but good movies like Furiosa and such tank. Keep an eye out on Alien Romulus. If it bombs, we will know how f*cked Movies are in the future.

What you leave out is the mind numbingly stupid decisions the studios make behind the scenes during production. GxK is an exercise in testing the patience of fans. How obvious can they make it that theres something seriously wrong behind the scenes, when even a film made by the same team as the previous comes out unrecognizably different than the previous, with many more issues? Its foolish to NOT question the studios when they change the direction and ignore canon whenever they feel like and cannot remain consistent to save their lives. Fans need to pay closer attention.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaijucifer wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:34 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:49 pm Legendary has made 5 films now whith 3 making North of 500m, obe making 400+ do to covid and the other making near 400m itself.

Money doesnt matter - not in a universe where Disney slop makes billions but good movies like Furiosa and such tank. Keep an eye out on Alien Romulus. If it bombs, we will know how f*cked Movies are in the future.

What you leave out is the mind numbingly stupid decisions the studios make behind the scenes during production. GxK is an exercise in testing the patience of fans. How obvious can they make it that theres something seriously wrong behind the scenes, when even a film made by the same team as the previous comes out unrecognizably different than the previous, with many more issues? Its foolish to NOT question the studios when they change the direction and ignore canon whenever they feel like and cannot remain consistent to save their lives. Fans need to pay closer attention.
Money is the most important thing that matters. If the MV drops 10 GxK films and they keep make north of 500m Legendary and Toho aren't going to care about canon or what people on the internet consider a good film. There are tons of great films that don't make a lot of money yes and there are a lot of bad films that make tons. Money is what talks. The reason we got so many Bayformers is becasue it took till the fifth film to flop.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

And the Monsterverse has never even thought about being as obnoxious as Bayformers got as a matter of course, so that's a bonus! :D

Look, I do understand where Kaijucifer is coming from, somewhat. The MV has contradicted itself a lot in just five movies. A little more continuity would be nice. But you know what? "Nice" is really all that it would be. The General Audience doesn't come to watch these movies for a deep dive into the lore of the Titans, they come to watch Godzilla and Kong fight other monsters and occasionally each other, with just enough of a framing story that it's not just two big things throwing themselves at one another. The "loose continuity" we've developed is very Showa-esque, in my opinion, and I think it serves the franchise much better than a sprawling "you need to watch five other things to get what this scene is about" approach.

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:59 pm And the Monsterverse has never even thought about being as obnoxious as Bayformers got as a matter of course, so that's a bonus! :D

Look, I do understand where Kaijucifer is coming from, somewhat. The MV has contradicted itself a lot in just five movies. A little more continuity would be nice. But you know what? "Nice" is really all that it would be. The General Audience doesn't come to watch these movies for a deep dive into the lore of the Titans, they come to watch Godzilla and Kong fight other monsters and occasionally each other, with just enough of a framing story that it's not just two big things throwing themselves at one another. The "loose continuity" we've developed is very Showa-esque, in my opinion, and I think it serves the franchise much better than a sprawling "you need to watch five other things to get what this scene is about" approach.
The general audience doesn't care if the worldbuilding or consistency is good or bad, so that's no reason to try?... I'll really never understand this argument.
I'll never understand the Showa comparisons, either. That was a different run of films in a different time period (time periods, really) from a different film company, and very rarely did it try to insist that Movie x is meant to be wholly congruous with Movies w, x, and y. The Monsterverse is trying to have its cake and eat it too with things like the Monarch show, which is doing that Marvel thing where Everything Is Connected. Loose ends and inconsistencies are intentionally being addressed there while at the same time being swept aside in the films.

Also like just as a sidenote - I think you might be overestimating the GA when you say "with just enough of a framing story that it's not just two big things throwing themselves at one another". I've seen the opinion that somehow even GxK has "too much sappy human stuff" :dizzy:
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Neogeddon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:22 pm
MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:59 pm And the Monsterverse has never even thought about being as obnoxious as Bayformers got as a matter of course, so that's a bonus! :D

The general audience doesn't care if the worldbuilding or consistency is good or bad, so that's no reason to try?... I'll really never understand this argument.
I'll never understand the Showa comparisons, either. That was a different run of films in a different time period (time periods, really) from a different film company, and very rarely did it try to insist that Movie x is meant to be wholly congruous with Movies w, x, and y. The Monsterverse is trying to have its cake and eat it too with things like the Monarch show, which is doing that Marvel thing where Everything Is Connected. Loose ends and inconsistencies are intentionally being addressed there while at the same time being swept aside in the films.

Also like just as a sidenote - I think you might be overestimating the GA when you say "with just enough of a framing story that it's not just two big things throwing themselves at one another". I've seen the opinion that somehow even GxK has "too much sappy human stuff" :dizzy:
Ha! Well, there definitely is a subset who think that any time we aren't watching monsters fight is time wasted, it's true. :roll: I think it's safe to consider that something of an outlier opinion though.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't try to keep things straight. You can see in my post that you quoted, I'd much prefer some more consistency. I'm saying that the studio probably sees very little reason to try. KotM was lore heavy, and it was the least successful of the MV. GxK just kind of rolled along doing its own thing, and you see how well it was rewarded for that. That's what the studio will look at, not a handful of longtime fans fretting over continuity on a messageboard. Frankly it's not my preferred approach either, but it's where we are.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I've heard rumors that for Godzilla's next mutation in this movie, he might sprout wings. There is a precedent for such as they hypothesized it in Shin.

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:44 pm I've heard rumors that for Godzilla's next mutation in this movie, he might sprout wings. There is a precedent for such as they hypothesized it in Shin.
Where on Mothras green earth did you hear that.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:44 pm I've heard rumors that for Godzilla's next mutation in this movie, he might sprout wings. There is a precedent for such as they hypothesized it in Shin.
The cycle of baseless rumors begins again!

And no, there isn’t a precedent. One line in Shin Godzilla by a scientist predicts that Godzilla, who specifically is constantly evolving due its own dna, has the capacity to grow wings.

A better precedent is Godzilla flying like in Vs Hedorah lol.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

Then he's just a dragon at that point.

Anyway i hope this time they have everything on a much tighter lock.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Sure, bud.

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

Baseless rumors aside... I wouldn't mind a Godzilla with "wings", where the dorsal plates are kind of flared out. Sort like how SpaceGodzilla looks while flying but less bulky. Dunno if I'd want him to actually fly with them though lol
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

If they are really about to give Godzilla actual wings, they might as well cram him in an X¹⁰ sized blue jumpsuit with a red cape and a big 'G' printed on the chest.

It wouldn't look anymore goofy.
Size DOES matter!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:03 am
Sure, bud.
I believe LegendZilla might have heardit. I just heard Destroyah and SpaceGodzilla are rumored for the villians in the next film and Angurius is coming in to help all over YouTube.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

I'm sure he heard it, sure, but the question is where did he hear it, someplace reputable?*

*it wasn't. :P

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Space G ain’t happening. Destroyah might though….

Rumors a month ago by someone who has had good info is that this film would be sold as some sort of epic conclusion/finale

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:49 pm Space G ain’t happening. Destroyah might though….

Rumors a month ago by someone who has had good info is that this film would be sold as some sort of epic conclusion/finale
I highly doubt it will be the final. The MonsterVerse still has enough gas in the tank for a few more movies.