Monster Discussion #26: Gabara

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion #26: Gabara

Post by JAGzilla »

What if he's a herald sent to mentally terrorize and weaken humanity before his boss, Spacegodzilla, invades?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Follinollante wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:45 am He could honestly be some kind of evil scientist/terrorist weapon; they hook people up to an electric machine that puts them to sleep and plunges them into a nightmarish dream world where they're chased by this giant electric monster until they give the baddies what they want.
That's an interesting idea. I recall a sci fi series where aliens used a similar tactic, so why not have some human villain do the same.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Rewatched All Monsters Attack a little while ago. Can't say the movie itself has grown on me, but Gabara definitely has.

He has a really unique design, almost something like a goofier version of an ogre or Japanese Oni. I also think his roar is just hilarious for some reason, like it's just a constant warble but it gets a laugh out of me for whatever reason.

Seeing him make a full blown comeback feels unlikely, but I wouldn't mind. Maybe he's something who starts in the dream world, but slowly manifest and fights Godzilla in real life, or whatever. I'm thinking a "Wes Craven's New Nightmare" scenario, but IDK how that'd exactly work.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gabara works because he's a goofy monster in a silly kids movie. I can't see him ever coming back in a way that would stay true to any of that. People like to fantasize about these "New Nightmare" scenarios but it all just seems to go against the spirit of this monster and the movie he was in.

Now, if he appeared in Godziban I'd be totally for it.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And we already have a dream-based kaiju in the Crackler.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:01 pm And we already have a dream-based kaiju in the Crackler.
Everyone needs to Google the Ultraman Ace monster Dreamgilas to see how it's really done.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:13 am Gabara works because he's a goofy monster in a silly kids movie. I can't see him ever coming back in a way that would stay true to any of that. People like to fantasize about these "New Nightmare" scenarios but it all just seems to go against the spirit of this monster and the movie he was in.

Now, if he appeared in Godziban I'd be totally for it.
I imagine this is why Sarunga was ultimately designated as a completely different monster. Don't know if we'll ever see it again, but they kept the oni and electrical aspects.

I know you don't care for the comics, but Gabara appeared in Godzilla Monsters and Protectors randomly, and was a monster that consistently harrased and fought with Godzilla in its dreams. That was a slightly goofy kids comic with a message, so it fits like the original film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kind of a headcanon here, but I sorta like the idea of “Salunga” being the monster’s “proper” name while “Gabara” was just a moniker Ichiro gave it due to his real-life bully. Don’t know how you can work that into a story, but might be an interesting way to bridge the two.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

I think it's a little fascinating that this "Gabera as Freddy Krueger" idea, the child of the Crackler and C.L. Werner's fanfics I believe, has had such staying power in the fandom. Not bad for a child's boogeyman that he invented so Godzilla could beat up some little creep he knows. :lol:

gabara
Ronin

Post by gabara »

I WILL WORSHIP THIS DAMN TOAD UNTIL THE DAY I DIE HE IS WHY I MADE MY ACCOUNT BASED OFF OF HIM AND HE IS THE BEST KAIJU (second best actually no one can beat Baragon:Baragon: ) but Gabara is a cool kaiju they should put in more movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:26 pm I think it's a little fascinating that this "Gabera as Freddy Krueger" idea, the child of the Crackler and C.L. Werner's fanfics I believe, has had such staying power in the fandom. Not bad for a child's boogeyman that he invented so Godzilla could beat up some little creep he knows. :lol:
It's one of the advantages of kaiju that have simple and nonspecific origins. They can be made to fit any story idea.