What are you reading/last book you read

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Re: What are you reading/last book you read

Post by Omegamorph »

Good Omens
Wuthering Heights (og)
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:50 pm
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:44 pm
I really have to be in the right mood to read anything from Alan Moore. Watchmen is a very well-written book. But Moore can be such a contrarian cynic that sometimes reading his work is like being forced to carry on a conversation with a profoundly miserable person. When the mood strikes it's absolutely fascinating. Other times it just bums me out. lol
Hey, the Killing Joke ends on a funny! He's not always miserable!

Unrelated tangent, and not literature, but I've recently been re-reading Kingdom of Monsters for a revaluation. It's the epitome of miserable cynical literature, and when you embrace it, it's sort of fascinating.
Actually, this is a great compare and contrast point. When KOM came out, The Goon was huge, and I was excited to try out Powell's writing related to my favorite big critter. But the cynical nature of that series killed any interest I had in his stuff. It's like reading an angry teen who just figured out the world sucks, man. It doesn't particularly respect the intelligence of the reader and comes off as being forced to hear the author complain about surface level stuff that bothers him about American pop culture.
Moore is much better writer. Watchmen may be cynical, but his characters are so well realized that the one that represents the polar opposite of his politics the most, that is arguably the most politically reprehensible of the main cast, is still admirable and layered enough that in spite of the creepy stuff he says and believes, the reprehensible things he does, you can't help but to feel for him, and sympathize with him. It's a layered work that has so many moving parts, but really is pretty simple. Moral absolutism in all forms leads to ruin, on personal and societal levels, and I think that still reflects the reality we live in.
That being said, Moore is not a writer I love all that much. Too much sexual-assault-as-plot-device, and some clear issues with women imo.
Also, Killing Joke suuuuuucks. It's an ok Batman story that has way too much cultural cache.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Killing Joke overrated

Knightfall best saga, Bane >>> Joker
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I'm a Long Halloween guy, myself.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:29 am I'm a Long Halloween guy, myself.
So is Reeves and look at what he did... a competent Batman film?! :shock:

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:29 am I'm a Long Halloween guy, myself.
That just shows you're a man of culture and refined taste. The Long Halloween + Dark Victory is the definitive Batman saga for me. There's a reason that the former, in particular, has been a key source of inspiration for so much other Batman media.

In regards to The Killing Joke, it's... pretty good. It's not a bad read and gives us an interesting possible origin for the Joker, but as far as all Batman comics/stories go, it doesn't even crack the top ten.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Not a 'book', exactly, but the classic short story The Monkey's Paw. I was not prepared. :lol: Like, obviously the three wishes weren't going to work out, but there was just zero fucking around of any kind. Straight to the worst case scenario. Highly recommended.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Having finished 'Mokwa: Lifeblood of the Earth', and 'Superman vs. Darkseid', my list now includes Shigeru Kayama's 'Godzilla' and 'Godzilla Raids Again' novelizations and 'Batman Arkham: Two-Face'.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

With Robert Englund's autobiography, 'Hollywood Monster' done (I wish he went into more detail about 'Nightmare 2' and 'Wes Craven's New Nightmare'), I've moved onto 'Famous Monsters of Filmland' issue #259 which partly covers werewolf movies, Rick Baker, and his work on 'The Wolf Man' remake.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Finished reading Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell. I totally understand the fascination with this novella that led to two different film adaptations being made. It's interesting how neither of those were completely faithful, either. I do think the Carpenter version of The Thing is closer, but there are still some key differences. The scene with the huskies and the ending particularly stand out. I would also have liked to see someone put the alien's true form, as described in the book, onto the big screen as well. But that would have drastically changed the style and suspense of both versions of The Thing, so it's easy to forgive.

The book still preys on the fear of not being able to trust people you thought you knew. Paranoia plays a big part. Perhaps not quite as much as the Carpenter movie. But it's more than enough to keep you on edge.

If you guys like good horror and sci-fi, I definitely recommend it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I have like 15 pages left of the novel version of Metropolis. It apparently served as a sorta screenplay for the Fritz Lang pic (written by his wife), but also was released as it's own sci fi book as well (?). The prose is very thick and flowery, and the character interactions are very melodramatic to the point it almost feels comical/pantomime (kind of in conflict with the otherwise serious tone), characters feel more like pawns of the story than actual people. But many who read it before arguing this is why it was so successful as a screenplay for the silent film, which I plan on watching when I'm done.

I also started East of Eden by Steinbeck, doing a pseudo book club with my grandfather. I'm about 100 pages in to this one, a lot easier to read, and pretty enjoyable. The character of Cathy is intriguing, although very heavy handed in her villainy, but I guess that's the point.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:28 pm
I also started East of Eden by Steinbeck, doing a pseudo book club with my grandfather. I'm about 100 pages in to this one, a lot easier to read, and pretty enjoyable. The character of Cathy is intriguing, although very heavy handed in her villainy, but I guess that's the point.
East of Eden is fantastic! One of my favorites.

Kaijuking101
EDF Instructor

Post by Kaijuking101 »

Started getting back into reading after a busy period with Alastair Reynolds’ “House of Suns”, a science fiction novel with an intriguing premise and so far fascinating world building with an engaging mystery. Am about nearly halfway through.
Ultraman Dyna wrote: “Nobody knows your future. Do you know why? That's because the future is for you to make”
Kenzaki Kazuma wrote: "I will fight fate...and win."