Netflix Animated Movie: Ultraman Rising (2024)

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Netflix CG-animated Ultraman FILM announced!

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It was okay. It wasn't bad and there's a lot to praise for it. I'm glad others are enjoying it more than me. Note that I've only seen the movie once and my thoughts on it may change.

I feel like it had fantastic animation and art direction, but was weighed down by a screenplay that was very predictable and that was unclear in moments. Critically, and I'll elaborate in spoilers, a lot of my issues with the movie stem from it being a different take on Ultraman mixed with the movie itself being unclear how this world is supposed to feel with the monsters. It does feel like the Ultraman coat of paint is superfluous, and that this take on Ultraman is more in line with what American expectations of heroes are.
Spoiler:
The big issue for me is the set up and premise. The entire emotional conflict of Sato not wanting to be Ultraman is bizarre to me because he's so egotistical. One would think that the same person that would want to be a baseball star would also be the same type of person that would lavish praise for being a hero too. Maybe I'm missing something, but it's why I can't understand the central character issue of Sato refusing to be Ultraman for some reason. The movie invents something about Japanese baseball being different from American Baseball, but that's nonsensical and just feels like it's adding forced conflict to make things seem more chaotic than they are.

To make things worse, I'm unclear if the Kaiju threat is one we're supposed to take seriously. All we see in the movie is Bemular very briefly attack, and then Neronga (who doesn't turn invisible and acts more akin to Angurius), briefly destroy stuff in Akihabara. The film hinges on a villain character wanting to desperately stop the monsters and it's unclear if he's in the wrong or right, and I don't think the film is trying to be ambitious/ambiguous about that. Ultraman has been sympathetic to many monsters in the past, but this felt so bizarre that he's suddenly protecting a bunch of monsters with little reason, especially from someone that is so egotistical.

Also, the thing with the villain, Dr. Onda, feels so forced. The fact that he never interacts with Sato or Ultraman is a missed opportunity and the way he blows himself up at the end is really dumb and forced. "I lost my daughter...so now I'm going to kill everyone in the surrounding area!". The self-destruct is also superfluous.

It’s brushed under the rug, but Gigatron did kill a bunch of people right? Are the characters supposed to suddenly forget that these creatures are insanely dangerous because Emi is cute?

Basically to me, it feels like the characters and setting conflict with how the plot plays out. Maybe that's part of the drama, but ehhh something isn't clicking for me.

And then there's the fact that outside of Neronga, this didn't feel like an Ultraman show or movie. Emi was handled much better than expected, and Gigatron was alright, but there's a surprising lack of familiar faces. The film very desperately needed a scene early on where a bad monster like Red King was on a definitive rampage and stopped by Sato before moving into the rest of the plot. Outside of a finishing beam and a brief cutter, this Ultraman just didn't feel like Ultraman. I get it, it's different, which doesn't mean it's bad, but this entire thing just seemed odd.
Shin Ultraman this was not. I don't hate it, and it's worth a viewing. Not a bad addition to the recent Kaiju media pantheon but not one of the high ones.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Re: Netflix CG-animated Ultraman FILM announced!

Post by Dracosaurian »

Just finished watching the film and I must say that I really enjoyed it! I honestly wasn't expecting it to be as long as it was, but that was an added bonus as far as I'm concerned. The movie is gorgeous, and I loved all the different colored backgrounds in numerous scenes. I'd honestly be down for an animated Godzilla film with this style.

All in all, it was a very heartfelt film that I can see people of all ages enjoying. The director has stated that he has ideas for sequels, so I hope that the film does good enough to get them greenlit. :)

VegetableBooy
Interpol Agent

Re: Netflix Animated Movie: Ultraman Rising (2024)

Post by VegetableBooy »

Overall, I really liked this film! It took some bold swings that I wasn’t expecting it to go through with, really utilizing it’s PG rating for scenes like
Spoiler:
Emi’s arm breaking and the constant use of the words “death” and “kill”.
It had a legitimately emotional story that felt real to me, especially when depicting the stress of a superhero living a double life now facing a new responsibility.

The post credits scene, while seeming like a cop-out at first, actually really interests me.
Spoiler:
My theory is that the powers of Ultraman originally came about as a mystery, thanks to the movie not really alluding to Nebula M78 until the very end when we find out Ken’s mom is there. As such, I believe that a sequel could focus on Ken learning the true origin of his powers, as well as following up on the theme of family by showing that while she was missing, Ken’s mother had actually adopted numerous orphaned children from the Land Of Light. She refers to them as Ken’s brothers. 😉

GoKelley86
GPN Volunteer

Post by GoKelley86 »

I really enjoyed this movie!

My expectations were very low because I wasn't a big fan of the Netflix Ultraman series, but this was quite good. It was fun, action packed enough to please the established fans, cute enough for kids and families, and just a good time all around.

Also, this movie was perfect for Father's Day.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GoKelley86 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:42 pm Also, this movie was perfect for Father's Day.
Hah, I didn't even consider that. Nice catch.

I do have to say, Emi breaking her arm was really tragic, and it's a unique set up to have a monster rampage to be framed as a toddler wandering around. I have a two year old daughter so in that regard the movie pulls my strings a little bit.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

The film has made it on the top 10 on Netflix and reviews seem to be largely positive. I think we may possibly get those sequels if it keeps up.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I'm relatively new to Ultraman but I did not really care for this one. Then again, that just might be me as I'm just going through the Showa Ultra Shows now, up to Taro.
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

It was cute and at times had the vibe of an early 2000s superhero flick combined with pixar-esq art style, but it wasn't my cup of tea. That said, this is a great entry point for newcomers, especially kids. Most of the comments I've been reading have been from moms and dads who watched this with their kids and had a blast.

I'd give it a 6/10. Not because of any flaw of the movie, like I said it just wasn't my thing.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Breakdown wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:48 amThat said, this is a great entry point for newcomers
1000%. I'm on Godzilla Twitter and the amount of people getting into Ultraman because of this is awesome to me. Even though I didn't really enjoy it I appreciate the fact it'll bring more people to the franchise.
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:37 am I'm relatively new to Ultraman but I did not really care for this one. Then again, that just might be me as I'm just going through the Showa Ultra Shows now, up to Taro.
The older Ultraman stuff, and even some of the newer series in moments, would take the time to address the elephant(s) in the room and the grey morality of it all. Even if it’s sad or tragic, they can still be hopeful in the end. The Seabozu and Gyeron episodes come to mind, as well as the ones about more difficult situations.

I thought when the Captain of the KDF was talking to Dr. Okuda about his daughter dying they’d actually approach the issue with a bit more nuance, and maybe at a certain point things could be resolved better. But they just gloss over it all and we’re supposed to suddenly forget Gigatron is a massive murderer because Emi is cute.

GoKelley86
GPN Volunteer

Post by GoKelley86 »

While I did enjoy the movie, I did have some issues with it:
Spoiler:
1) Sato's baseball career felt a little underdeveloped, or at least carried largely through expository dialogue. When they started to improve, it was like "oh, they are only one game behind!" out of nowhere, and then at the end "they won the championship!" and we saw hardly any of it. Even his relationship with the coach turned around with almost none of that shown to us.

2) The background of Ultraman felt a little underdeveloped. I respect not wanting to do an origin story again, but we don't get any indication of where the Ultraman power comes from, how the father got it, and how that power was passed down to the son. I can assume a bunch of things, but I imagine that it would be confusing for newcomers.
Still, the film was overall very entertaining and made for a fun watch.
Spoiler:
1) I liked that Dr. Onda wasn't a completely evil psychopath. You can go that route with it and make it fun, but I like that he was compassionate (he actually cared about his crew's well being), and even justified in his hatred of kaiju. It made him feel like a human being.

2) The stuff between Sato and "Eli" was of course adorable and definitely the heart of the film. I can see people complaining that they made the baby too cute, but as a father myself, it all just reminded me of my baby girl, and I had a goofy grin on my face the whole time watching it.

3) And of course, when it came down to do the monster fighting, the film came through and used those fights to stage some great moments.

VegetableBooy
Interpol Agent

Post by VegetableBooy »

I like how they manage to make Ken and Onda reflections of each other as the protagonist and antagonist without directly spelling it out to the audience because it’s a family film.
Spoiler:
Both are fathers who find themselves burdened with the responsibility of fighting kaiju to create a better future for their family, but while Ken has gained a family and fights for them to live a happy life, Onda has lost his and lashes out at them for what he feels is their sake.

He kinda reminds me of Callaghan from Big Hero 6, except better executed because he’s actually treated like a human being his entire runtime, and doesn’t have any dumb moments where he berates his underlings or says evil things for no reason.

You can feel that connection in Onda’s death scene too. As a bit peeved as I was that Ken’s sacrifice didn’t have that much time dedicated to it, I was still moved by the scene because I could feel the connection between these two as Ken created that shield and stared into his eyes, as if giving him an embrace in his final moments. That is Ultraman to me. A giant, imposing being in the middle of danger that can still look at you and make you feel as if you’re not alone.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

The California Roll of Ultraman media. Ultraman for people who don't really know or like Ultraman. For those who think respecting the original means slapping "Tsuburaya" and "Metron" on random signs in the background instead of understanding anything about the soul of the character and series.

While the animation is solid, and there are many impressive shots (how they use light is especially effective), all the money thrown at making it look polished doesn't help the hodgepodge of sentimental western cliches that make up the story. ("Being Ultraman isn't about fighting. It's about HEART.")
Spoiler:
The sentimentality runs so deep that we even get a long, soggy speech as their AI assistant "dies."

Even the classic kaiju teased in the trailers and given toys, barely made any actual appearances. I should have known better! :Anguirus:

It also happens to be badly paced and consequently quite long and boring aside from its many flaws as an Ultraman story.

I guess this will be Ultraman for the "Monsterverse is the best!" crowd. It's a Funko Pop with Ultraman colors.
Last edited by Jomei on Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Angilasman
Gotengo Officer

Post by Angilasman »

An animated kids movie probably isn't the vehicle most us adult fans would've chosen to be Ultraman's starring vehicle introduction (or reintroduction) to Western audiences, but having seen the film I'm pretty happy with the results. It's frankly gorgeous to look at and it leads with the heart and moral qualities of Ultraman that have been key part since the beginning - plus, it really differentiates Ultraman: Rising from the dozens (hundreds?) of other superheroes that have inundated American children these past few decades. Not to get up on a soapbox, but I don't think these superheroes are heroic enough! Aren't these supposed to be characters for children? Role models? I fear we've lost the main ingredient somewhere along the way in making these children's characters entertainment for adults. I'm glad Ultraman, at least, leads with compassion.

And as for how it deviates from 'canon'? I was a bit concerned going in, but once the film started I could care less. Every single Ultraman project is a reboot. Pretty much everything Ultraman: Rising does different from classic Ultraman has already been done differently by some Tsuburaya project or other.
Spoiler:
I think UltraDad's gut and mustache where my favorite thing in the entire film, and I reckon that's the film's biggest deviation! Remins me of the abandoned idea that Ultraman Nexus would change appearance to reflect his human alter ego.
In closing: in terms of recent Hollywood animations of superheroes I'll put Rising below the SpiderVerse movies but on equal footing with TMNT: Mutant Mayhem.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Jomei wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:04 pm The California Roll of Ultraman media. Ultraman for people who don't really know or like Ultraman. For those who think respecting the original means slapping "Tsuburaya" and "Metron" on random signs in the background instead of understanding anything about the soul of the character and series.

While the animation is solid, and there are many impressive shots (how they use light is especially effective), all the money thrown at making it look polished doesn't help the hodgepodge of sentimental western cliches that make up the story. ("Being Ultraman isn't about fighting. It's about HEART.")
Spoiler:
The sentimentality runs so deep that we even get a long, soggy speech as their AI assistant "dies."

Even the classic kaiju teased in the trailers and given toys, barely made any actual appearances. I should have known better! :Anguirus:

It also happens to be badly paced and consequently quite long and boring aside from its many flaws as an Ultraman story.

I guess this will be Ultraman for the "Monsterverse is the best!" crowd. It's a Funko Pop with Ultraman colors.
Oof. That's not a glowing review. Lol It just seems a little too Westernized. The art direction and dialogue in the trailers put me off. But I've been hoping the film would surprise me. I haven't given it a shot yet. Maybe this weekend I can make some time for it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:23 pm but having seen the film I'm pretty happy with the results. It's frankly gorgeous to look at and it leads with the heart and moral qualities of Ultraman that have been key part since the beginning - plus, it really differentiates Ultraman: Rising from the dozens (hundreds?) of other superheroes that have inundated American children these past few decades.
Other than the Japanese setting/flair: how? X person doesn't want Y power for personal reason A or B, which generally involves their parents/family. Inciting incident happens where they need to learn to change and grow personally. Villain in the background, which is tangentially related to/parallels the persons personal journey, does something horrible at the end of the third act, before our heroes work together to resolve the issue when all hope seems lost. It's Spider-man...and I like Spiderman!
And as for how it deviates from 'canon'? I was a bit concerned going in, but once the film started I could care less. Every single Ultraman project is a reboot. Pretty much everything Ultraman: Rising does different from classic Ultraman has already been done differently by some Tsuburaya project or other.
Ultraman doesn't have a cannon and historically I've never cared about cannons and whatnot. However, I think that the film doesn't represent what/why I like about Ultraman, and extending from that I think that many of the things that it does do well doesn't reach their full potential.
In closing: in terms of recent Hollywood animations of superheroes I'll put Rising below the SpiderVerse movies but on equal footing with TMNT: Mutant Mayhem.
I definitely like it more than a bunch of recent kids media. I like it more than Spiderverse 2+TMNT: Mutant Mayhem and would go to bat to say I think it's better. That being said, as an Ultraman entry I'm not particularly wowed.

And just to get this out of the way, before someone states it: No, me not loving this has nothing to do with it not being a fully Japanese production. There's plenty of Western Ultraman media I love (Ultraman: Towards the Future) and even like some of the designs and things that Powered did. Likewise, I've been just as, if not, more critical of recent Japanese productions (R/B,Trigger) so there you go.

Added in 1 minute 26 seconds:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:32 pmThe art direction and dialogue in the trailers put me off.
I love the art direction and animation, but that's up to personal preference.

The dialogue can be clunky at times, but it's way better than the trailers make it out to be. The trailers made the film much more jokey and immature than the film actually is.

Angilasman
Gotengo Officer

Post by Angilasman »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:02 pm
Angilasman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:23 pm but having seen the film I'm pretty happy with the results. It's frankly gorgeous to look at and it leads with the heart and moral qualities of Ultraman that have been key part since the beginning - plus, it really differentiates Ultraman: Rising from the dozens (hundreds?) of other superheroes that have inundated American children these past few decades.
Other than the Japanese setting/flair: how? X person doesn't want Y power for personal reason A or B, which generally involves their parents/family. Inciting incident happens where they need to learn to change and grow personally. Villain in the background, which is tangentially related to/parallels the persons personal journey, does something horrible at the end of the third act, before our heroes work together to resolve the issue when all hope seems lost. It's Spider-man...and I like Spiderman!
Seems larger trends in American superhero movies have had less civilians to rescue, less normal human connections (it seems everyone a hero knows is also some kind of hero), more snarky quipmeisters which seem like the filmmakers embarrassed by the concept of heroism. You're average MCU or DC or Sony film just seems like the personal squabbles of various super people who bash each other about the head without much of a why. The actual heroism or morality is so foregrounded I imagine children ignore it completely. It's just strong guys fighting. Contrast this with Chris Reeves' Superman, or the train scene in Spider-Man 2. You know, the good stuff!

I liked that Rising presented Ultraman as a moral hero first and foremost, not just a strong guy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:32 pm Seems larger trends in American superhero movies have had less civilians to rescue, less normal human connections (it seems everyone a hero knows is also some kind of hero), more snarky quipmeisters which seem like the filmmakers embarrassed by the concept of heroism. You're average MCU or DC or Sony film just seems like the personal squabbles of various super people who bash each other about the head without much of a why. The actual heroism or morality is so foregrounded I imagine children ignore it completely. It's just strong guys fighting. Contrast this with Chris Reeves' Superman, or the train scene in Spider-Man 2. You know, the good stuff!

I liked that Rising presented Ultraman as a moral hero first and foremost, not just a strong guy.
Okay, I can see that and respect that opinion.

But this brings me to my core problem of the film, which is my inability to assume or recognize Ultraman as a hero. The film never attempts to address or touch on the fact that Gigantron killed and attacked Tokyo/Japan at some point. Presumably it wasn't just Dr. Okunda's family that were hurt. Same thing goes for Neronga. The film never addresses or notes that the kaiju live and are a natural part of Earth/caused and/or displaced by humans. In fact, it seems like they have their own natural environment where they live in peace.

As a result, Ultraman saving the monsters, without addressing that elephant/kaiju comes across as a little bit insane and incredibly irresponsible. Based solely on the depiction of monsters in the film, I contend that Dr. Okunda is/was right, and I don't think that was the intent of the movie.

The only clue/notion why Ultraman shouldn't kill the monsters that is given is that Sato's father states that Ultraman "should bring balance", but we are never given a reason or clue to what that balance is. To me it comes off as lazy western stereotyping of asian cultures "balance/yin and yang". On top of that, we never really know why or how Kato's relationship is so bad, and I don't have an overall positive opinion of the father either.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:32 pm
Jomei wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:04 pm The California Roll of Ultraman media. Ultraman for people who don't really know or like Ultraman. For those who think respecting the original means slapping "Tsuburaya" and "Metron" on random signs in the background instead of understanding anything about the soul of the character and series.

Spoiler:

Oof. That's not a glowing review. Lol It just seems a little too Westernized. The art direction and dialogue in the trailers put me off. But I've been hoping the film would surprise me. I haven't given it a shot yet. Maybe this weekend I can make some time for it.
I can say it at least wasn't nearly as Whedonesque as I feared. It's just so shallowly sentimental throughout. And maybe worst of all, I just found the pacing atrocious. Granted, I am admittedly not the target audience, but then again, I am also not the target audience for any of the Ultraman shows (save for a couple adult-aimed ones like Ultraseven X), yet I find those delightful. I don't think kids' entertainment has to be this way. Many of the best Disney films, even as capital D Disney as they can be, are much richer story-wise. Its themes felt a bit scattered and disconnected from the subject matter.

And I truly don't know what to make of the people who think this bears anything other than a surface resemblance to classic Ultraman. They did a fantastic job depicting Ultraman in some scenes, at least as far as the animation polish goes. But as LSD pointed out to me, the production history reveals that this was quite literally written completely unrelated to Ultraman whatsoever. They simply adjusted to fit a story the director had already written to make into an Ultraman story once they had the IP to work with:
The film, inspired by the character of the same name, originally began as an original idea developed by director Shannon Tindle.[5] He conceived it while working as a character designer on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends in the mid-to-late 2000s.[6] Tindle further developed the film, writing a script and creating art at Sony Pictures Animation from 2016 to 2018; at the time, the plot would have followed "a billionaire forced to grow up when he takes on the orphaned children of his former foe."[7][8] After leaving Sony, Tindle moved to Netflix Animation to produce the live-action/animation hybrid series Lost Ollie with fellow Sony Animation director Peter Ramsey, where he had the opportunity to repurpose the plot for his film to fit with the Ultraman IP.
I made my assessment of the film before knowing this, but it makes so much more sense after finding out. It explains the vague sense of disconnect between so many of the film's elements.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:45 pm
But this brings me to my core problem of the film, which is my inability to assume or recognize Ultraman as a hero. The film never attempts to address or touch on the fact that Gigantron killed and attacked Tokyo/Japan at some point. Presumably it wasn't just Dr. Okunda's family that were hurt. Same thing goes for Neronga. The film never addresses or notes that the kaiju live and are a natural part of Earth/caused and/or displaced by humans. In fact, it seems like they have their own natural environment where they live in peace.

As a result, Ultraman saving the monsters, without addressing that elephant/kaiju comes across as a little bit insane and incredibly irresponsible. Based solely on the depiction of monsters in the film, I contend that Dr. Okunda is/was right, and I don't think that was the intent of the movie.

The only clue/notion why Ultraman shouldn't kill the monsters that is given is that Sato's father states that Ultraman "should bring balance", but we are never given a reason or clue to what that balance is. To me it comes off as lazy western stereotyping of asian cultures "balance/yin and yang". On top of that, we never really know why or how Kato's relationship is so bad, and I don't have an overall positive opinion of the father either.
While I do see many of the criticisms brought up here, even if they did not hamper the movie for me, I actually do disagree with this.

The issue with the KDF's reaction to kaiju is not that they are trying to protect people by killing kaiju. That's fine, and personally, I wouldn't be shocked if this world's Ultraman had to do it, given how ready Ken was with the Ultra Slash against
Spoiler:
Mecha-Gigantron

The issue is they not only ESCALATE it but do straight up endanger lives to do it.
Spoiler:
We don't know why Gigantron originally appeared but she came back and started causing destruction because they stole her egg.

Their plan is genocide. I'm not gonna mince words here. The kaiju are shown to be sentient through Emi, what Onda wants is a genocide of every species they come across and the entire population of their home.

While they may have been trying to only capture Emi for their plan, they fire MISSLES at Dr. Sato and Ken's mansion. Even if they had assumed they were Ultraman and could survive it, there is no way that's not attempted murder.

And grief all you want, Onda set that self destruct RIGHT in the middle of the city.

And this isn't even talking about the dubious ethics of Mecha-Gigantron's entire existence.
Yes, they're a shade of Grey compare to Ultraman trying to be a pacifist and the film could have done better showing WHY kaiju aren't monsters but confused animals, but no, Onda/the KDF are not heroes and they are not right.

RIP Evan.