Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Angilasman
Gotengo Officer

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by Angilasman »

^ Oh my God! Hell, yeah I'll buy that!

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:00 am Universal doesn't need the rights to stream their version of KKvsG digitally. They own the US version outright.
I know they own the US version outright. But something must be preventing them from having it available digitally. Not that it bothers me in the slightest as it's all about physical media. But it is odd that they've never had rhe film available digitally. Not even on their streaming service

Moth
Gotengo Officer

Post by Moth »

Criterion putting Heisei up til Vs Mothra on the Criterion Channel. Yay!
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Whuch films exactly? The first four?

Source?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gojiwr20
Monsterland Worker

Post by gojiwr20 »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:24 pm Whuch films exactly? The first four?

Source?
I believe Criterions twitter, or the Criterion Channel

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:24 pm Whuch films exactly? The first four?

Source?
Yes & their website/social media: https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... 024-lineup
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Good! Now if they can just get the remaing three, that'll be great! I've got my version of the Kiryu series storyline almost finished and now I'll hopefully be able to get the entire Heisei storyline on Blu-ray to go with my Criterion Blu-ray of Godzilla (1954)! I always did like that storyline anyway, and now I won't have to go on eBay to buy any and/or all the previous Blu-rays from Sony, with one of them at prices that are too much for me. i wonder if all four of them are going to be Japanese versions with optional and accurate English subtitles/U.S. versions dubbed in English combos?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Kinda weird not waiting till they get the final films, or just negotiate a deal with Sony. I think eventually we’ll get a physical release as well with all heisei films.
Last edited by Cookson on Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

In case anyone had doubts.

Biollante now reasonably possible to watch.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

It's exciting to see this actually happening. Hopefully Criterion sees good traffic on their service for these and continue a strong relationship with Toho - ideally leading to some restoration and substantial physical releases.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Please, God! Please, Criterion! Let me have a swanky Heisei collection too.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

One step closer to Godzilla: Final Wars being a part of the Criterion collection.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Does this mean they'll also be available through HBO Max like the Showa series? I'm waaaay overdue for a rewatch of GvKG and especially GvM...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:54 pm Does this mean they'll also be available through HBO Max like the Showa series? I'm waaaay overdue for a rewatch of GvKG and especially GvM...
Not really no, criterion hasn't added or updated the Max offerings all that much in years. They certainly haven't added any of the Honda films they still have on their streaming services that they have the rights to and have had them for years now. Only way to check them out for sure will be getting a subscription to their service.

Added in 53 seconds:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:48 pm Please, God! Please, Criterion! Let me have a swanky Heisei collection too.
I mean we didn't get one for the showa era do I'm not holding my breath. Certainly won't be better than the sony, Kraken, and EB release

Added in 4 minutes 46 seconds:
Cookson wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:48 pm Kinda weird not waiting till they get the final films, or just negotiate a deal with Sony. I think eventually we’ll get a physical release as well with all heisei films.
Yeah that's the weirdest thing about this release timing. They've had Biollante and 84 for years now and could've done them at any moment. They've had GvKG and GvM for awhile now too. It doesn't make sense with the reasoning but I know Sony has the digital rights to all their Godzilla films longer than they have/had the physical rights. Even double checked a few weeks back and you can no longer buy GvKG or GvM on any digital storefront lately.

Maybe they wanted to add more Godzilla movies because of Minus One? Because they certainly won't be getting the digital rights to the remainder of the Heisei films or Millenium films anytime soon as those rights will most likely expire years after the physical media rights do/have

wahoo123
Ronin

Post by wahoo123 »

Supposedly the Music Box theater in Chicago was playing the 4K restoration of Godzilla vs Biollante when they screened it last week. Hopefully this means that the restoration is going to be the source used when it shows up on the Criterion Channel next month.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

wahoo123 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:54 pm Supposedly the Music Box theater in Chicago was playing the 4K restoration of Godzilla vs Biollante when they screened it last week. Hopefully this means that the restoration is going to be the source used when it shows up on the Criterion Channel next month.
This is incorrect. omgitsgodzilla was there and reported that it was the same 08 HiVision master with slightly reworked subs and the Janus films logo at the start.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Everyone needs to temper their expectations right now.

We're getting the same thing next month that we got from the Criterion set in 2019 - HI-Vision masters with slightly better subtitles.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

You hear that everybody? Right now! >:( Temper them!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:07 am You hear that everybody? Right now! >:( Temper them!
I known you're being sarcastic, but you do remember how much people bitched in 2019 right?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

People will complain no matter if their expectations are tempered or not. I’m just looking forward to a box set that will actually have English-language options for everything and no burned-in English title cards.