Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire SPOILER/GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire SPOILER/GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

You know, watching this again on DVD, Godzilla really isn't as much of a roving serial killer as the meme suggests. He fights and kills Scylla in Rome, for reasons explored in the comic, then he settles in. He detects the HE signal, heads to France to absorb some energy, but then decides, "nah, this isn't enough to do it". So he swims up to a place he knows is charged with energy, only to find Tiamat hunkered down there already. Now it's true he rousted her out, but I suspect if Tiamat had simply swum away, that would have been the end of it. Instead, she attacked Godzilla, and we all know how good he is at holding back. ;) So yes, he was being particularly aggressive and uncompromising, but I don't think it's quite right to say he was looking for lives to end.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I really like the fact that not every threat is trying to top KG. They’re all different and some aren’t anywhere near as powerful as KG….theyre just d*cks.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:54 am I really like the fact that not every threat is trying to top KG. They’re all different and some aren’t anywhere near as powerful as KG….theyre just d*cks.
Absolutely, every franchise needs that kind of villain from time to time.
It's a problem Marvel has: The villains are basically all world-ending threats. It's so common now, that they even had to go for the Multiverse.

Meanwhile Madame Web - no matter what you think about the film - has actually a quite interesting villain. His only known goal is to kill three girls. That's it. No world-changing/destroying plans, no threat towards all of mankind.Just some highschool girls and that's it.

So absolutely, Skar King and Shimo are a neat break and filler and I do hope we get some more who are just a threat to things minor compared to the whole world.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I agree

It’s annoying how so many fans insist that every single new antagonist titan needs to one-up Ghidorah. Lazy storytelling to make it so every film needs to go “bigger and bigger”

That said, I do hope we see another true threat in the next film for Godzilla to fight. Because Skar King was barely a threat at all to Kong, let alone Godzilla
Top five favorite Monsterverse titans:

1. Godzilla
2. King Ghidorah (#1 favorite MV design though)
3. Methuselah
4. Mecha-Godzilla
5. Doug

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Glad some people get it. Takes me back to the days of Ebirah, Kumunga and Gabara

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

Moogabunga wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:17 am So, little side thing, but does anyone wanna try to explain why Godzilla would even relinquish the ENTIRE Hollow Earth to Kong? Why would he agree to that? Essentially the birth place of Titans, a place he has undoubtedly been to many times over the course of his life...and he just agrees to give it up to a big monkey? Why?
Couple of reasons. Gets the Hobo ape out of his immediate sight. Will help streamline his focus on what is happening in the surface so he isnt always glancing over his shoulder towards said Hobo ape. Godzilla can also come back whenever he wants: hes the landlord, Kong is just a squatter. What a lot of people dont understand is that Godzilla is essentially ruler of Earth. That includes Hollow Earth. But since hes not omnipresent, he cant be everywhere at once. So he probably begrudgingly let Hobo ape have free reign of his old stomping grounds while he takes care of the far more vulnerable surface world.

Added in 7 minutes 36 seconds:
king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:54 am I really like the fact that not every threat is trying to top KG. They’re all different and some aren’t anywhere near as powerful as KG….theyre just d*cks.
Issue I have with it is, Godzilla didnt need to evolve to win. Ghidorah is still a bigger threat. But he did evolve, specifically, to SOLO SHIMO AND THE SKAR ARMY. And they do nothing with it, its a wasted plotline, Godzilla plays second fiddle to Kong.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

….who cares if Godzilla plays second fiddle to Kong for two films??

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:53 am ….who cares if Godzilla plays second fiddle to Kong for two films??
Then don't give Godzilla top billing in both movies. GxK should've been just Kong
"[GxK] feels like a proof of concept for Legendary to make a film entirely by AI. Monster fights are the one thing it offers and it fucks them mostly too, every other aspect of the film is dogshit and it seems to genuinely mock its audience for watching it."
-Anonymous

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:53 am ….who cares if Godzilla plays second fiddle to Kong for two films??
...People who have no or very low interest in Kong...

gojizillakong
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojizillakong »

Why even bother having Godzilla in the title? It would’ve been better if this was just a Kong film with surprise cameos from Toho kaiju

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Kaijucifer wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:50 am Issue I have with it is, Godzilla didnt need to evolve to win. Ghidorah is still a bigger threat. But he did evolve, specifically, to SOLO SHIMO AND THE SKAR ARMY. And they do nothing with it, its a wasted plotline, Godzilla plays second fiddle to Kong.

It's true, Godzilla might not have needed to evolve, but he didn't know how much back-up he'd actually wind up having in the fight. If it was standard Godzilla on his own up against Skar, Shimo, and a couple dozen Great Apes, I could see the battle going the other way. So, he powers up to give himself an edge, only to find his greatest ally and an opponent who gave him pretty stiff compitition joining him for the battle, and his enemy's army practically halved in numbers(seriously, Skar lost a lot of guys to that canyon trap). Even then, I'd say Godzilla and Shimo mostly canceled each other out in the Rio fight, rather than G overwhelming her. Who's to say how it would have gone with non-Evolved G.

On a related note, I liked seeing again what a fun bad guy Skar is. He's like if a Mad Max villain was also a kaiju. :lol:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaijucifer wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:50 am

Added in 7 minutes 36 seconds:
Issue I have with it is, Godzilla didnt need to evolve to win. Ghidorah is still a bigger threat. But he did evolve, specifically, to SOLO SHIMO AND THE SKAR ARMY. And they do nothing with it, its a wasted plotline, Godzilla plays second fiddle to Kong.
Yes he did. Godzilla does not know Mothra or Kong are coming to help him.

Skar almost beat Godzilla last time and now Skar has SHimo. Godzilla only looks like his Evo was unnecessary to us becasue Kong and Mothra were with him.

Added in 2 minutes 57 seconds:
Crazy Godzilla fans that think he always needs to be the strongest or most important.

Added in 24 seconds:
Gojira18 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:17 am
Then don't give Godzilla top billing in both movies. GxK should've been just Kong
And then there is a chance it would have made less money.

Added in 23 seconds:
gojizillakong wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:05 pm Why even bother having Godzilla in the title? It would’ve been better if this was just a Kong film with surprise cameos from Toho kaiju
No it wouldn't nor why would Toho monsters be in just a Kong movie.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I don’t know when it happened but I have found myself increasingly in line with Miguelnuva and I am totally down for that lol.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:40 pm I don’t know when it happened but I have found myself increasingly in line with Miguelnuva and I am totally down for that lol.
If I remember correctly, you were pretty worried about GxK during the lead-up. I'm glad it turned out to be to your liking. :D

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:23 am Glad some people get it. Takes me back to the days of Ebirah, Kumunga and Gabara
I agree with the sentiment that not all antagonist monsters need to one-up what came before it, but I'd just like to note something.

Kumonga, in Son of Godzilla, and to a lesser extent Ebirah in Ebirah Horror of the Deep, has no issue going toe-to-to with Godzilla. In Son of Godzilla, Kumonga is a pretty deadly foe for Godzilla, able to immobilize and poison Godzilla. If not for Minilla's intervention, there's a chance Kumonga could have defeated Godzilla. Not a great one, but my point is that in it's original film Kumonga isn't a jobber like subsequent films and extra-Godzilla media will make it out to be. There is also that one great moment where Kumonga stands tall and briefly physically overpowers Godzilla. Kumonga is different from Ghidorah in that it relied on poison, immobilizing Godzilla, and strategy to fight Godzilla. The failure of Skar King is that despite his agility and intelligence it never feels like he has Godzilla (or even Kong) on the ropes like Kumonga had Godzilla on the ropes in 1967, despite having the clear toolset for it. Shimo is an attempt to one-up Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla, and distracts from Skar King uncessarily.

Hot take, but the film would have probably been better if Shimo had a heavily modified role in the story or even cut entirely. There was a big missed opportunity to solely focus on the Skar King and an army of apes. Maybe instead of Shimo Skar King has an Ice Scepter or something...IDK.

This whole conversation of "It's not a Godzilla film" is spinning in it's wheels. While I agree that Godzilla is not the main primary focus as much as he is in something like -1.0, Shin, KOTM, or even GMK, there's tons of Godzilla films where Godzilla plays second fiddle to another monster (Rodan, Jet Jaguar) or has reduced screentime in comparison to new antagonists. I wish the next MV film did focus on Godzilla more, but this idea that Godzilla is absent or that it's not a Godzilla film is silly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Another problem with one ups is Toho deciding in the 90's Godzilla was a cut above everyone else and you had to be a clone or Ghidorah to stand a chance against him.

As Lsd mentioned in the 60's whole he's stronger, Angurius and Kong could challange him. Rodan was his equal and Ebirah and Kumonga even had a shot against him with Ghidorah being the top dog.

In the 70's the threat level is raised as he's now the good guy who needs challenges.

From Heisei onward Toho decided nope Godzilla is the strongest and always wins unless weakness is exploited or he gets jumped.

I don't think a Ghidorah threat is needed until MV7 personally.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gojizillakong
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojizillakong »

I'm glad Minus One came out, because if this had been the 70th anniversary movie, I'd have been sorely disappointed

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:50 am It’s annoying how so many fans insist that every single new antagonist titan needs to one-up Ghidorah. Lazy storytelling to make it so every film needs to go “bigger and bigger”
Kinda hated how the marketing extremely played into this. Even had a series retrospective at the start of the final trailer, as if this was The Big One. It felt like a midseason episode of a hypothetical Monsterverse cartoon, which is fine enough, but I guess that just doesn't hit as hard on the ad copy :lol:
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

It's funny too, because I think "Kong finds the family he's been searching for, but he has to fight for their freedom" is a very compelling pitch, especially when it's about a three-hundred-foot gorilla. :kingkong1962:

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Neogeddon wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:10 pm
Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:50 am It’s annoying how so many fans insist that every single new antagonist titan needs to one-up Ghidorah. Lazy storytelling to make it so every film needs to go “bigger and bigger”
Kinda hated how the marketing extremely played into this. Even had a series retrospective at the start of the final trailer, as if this was The Big One. It felt like a midseason episode of a hypothetical Monsterverse cartoon, which is fine enough, but I guess that just doesn't hit as hard on the ad copy :lol:
It’s totally a filler episode of sorts lol but I kind of love that. Serious vs Sea Monster vibes.

That being said. I think it established a few things that the next film will build on.

1. Humans going to war against the titans. Enough is an enough.

2. Kong becoming King and gaining a family.

3. Uber evolved Godzilla. Not sure how it’s all going to shape out but he’s going to be a legit unit in the next film, mark my words. (I prefer weaker Godzillas personally though but I digress).

4. Reintroducing Mothra.

So while it does feel like a filler episode, it also moved the ball down the field and had fun while doing it. No small feat. Plus, it did well at the box office and with merch.