Godzilla Rivals: VS Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla Rivals: VS Discussion

Post by Shenanigans »

Another absolute banger from Rivals, this was one of the best ones yet! There was a lot going on, but we still got a ton of incredibly satisfying action and even a bit of, albeit simple, character development. Lots of fun world-building, I almost wish this was a miniseries instead. Art was also quite good, I think it fit the tone. What a fun issue.

Also shout-out to JJ using his tornado move from the Atari games! Sick!

The most surprising thing is that it's seemingly the first Rivals to be getting a follow-up, though you wouldn't know it based on the solicitation.

I do wonder if any of these characters or organizations will be returning. Would be ideal.
M92 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:13 am That's one I definitely want to see..The contrast between Beautiful Mothra and Ugly Hedorah is a great match up..Just hope they have a good artist and writer unlike most of the Rivals Series
? Huh? What issues have had bad art/writing? The vast majority of these (outside of Vs. Mechagodzilla, of course) have been very solid?

M92
Samurai

Post by M92 »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:14 am Another absolute banger from Rivals, this was one of the best ones yet! There was a lot going on, but we still got a ton of incredibly satisfying action and even a bit of, albeit simple, character development. Lots of fun world-building, I almost wish this was a miniseries instead. Art was also quite good, I think it fit the tone. What a fun issue.

Also shout-out to JJ using his tornado move from the Atari games! Sick!

The most surprising thing is that it's seemingly the first Rivals to be getting a follow-up, though you wouldn't know it based on the

I do wonder if any of these characters or organizations will be returning. Would be ideal.
M92 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:13 am That's one I definitely want to see..The contrast between Beautiful Mothra and Ugly Hedorah is a great match up..Just hope they have a good artist and writer unlike most of the Rivals Series
? Huh? What issues have had bad art/writing? The vast majority of these (outside of Vs. Mechagodzilla, of course) have been very solid?
Not really..Vs. Mothra, Mothra vs. Titanosaurus, vs. Mechagodzilla, Biollante vs. Destoroyah had really mediocre writing..Art was hit or miss in those issues but not as bad from the Victor Santos days
Last edited by M92 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Really enjoyed this issue.

- I didn't mind that Mothra and MOGUERA didnt interact much, but the Ebirah fight and the 3-way mecha brawl more than made up for it. JJ's growing punch + tornado attack were fun to see.
- The art starts to get rushed towards the end, but it starts off really strong and when the art is good, it shines.
- Nice tease for whats coming!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Really nice RI Cover :Mothra61: :Hedorah: :

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

JTISREBORN's review is up (a bit later than usual):

Additionally, for anyone who's interested, a lengthy interview with the author Johnny Parker II can be found here on Enshohma's channel:

Added in 4 minutes 26 seconds:
This popped up in my feed while posting the link with the Parker II interview: An lengthy interview from 2 years ago with Adam Gorham speaking about his work on what may be the best issue thus far of the Rivals VS series imho, VS: King Ghidorah :KingGhidorah64:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:52 am JTISREBORN's review is up (a bit later than usual):

Additionally, for anyone who's interested, a lengthy interview with the author Johnny Parker II can be found here on Enshohma's channel:

Added in 4 minutes 26 seconds:
This popped up in my feed while posting the link with the Parker II interview: An lengthy interview from 2 years ago with Adam Gorham speaking about his work on what may be the best issue thus far of the Rivals VS series imho, VS: King Ghidorah :KingGhidorah64:

Thanks for sharing these interviews!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I finally read #4. Mixed bag. The story was hard to follow at times and the setting was kind of vague and bizarre. The art style made up for any shortcomings, though, with that spectacular beam clash double-page spread being a highlight. And from an aesthetic standpoint, I can totally get behind the weird combination of British seaside village, desolate polluted misery, X-Files paranormal investigation, random decrepit old robots, and kaiju. There was a cool idea here. The unconventional resolution to the battle was a nice change of pace, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:31 am I finally read #4. Mixed bag. The story was hard to follow at times and the setting was kind of vague and bizarre. The art style made up for any shortcomings, though, with that spectacular beam clash double-page spread being a highlight. And from an aesthetic standpoint, I can totally get behind the weird combination of British seaside village, desolate polluted misery, X-Files paranormal investigation, random decrepit old robots, and kaiju. There was a cool idea here. The unconventional resolution to the battle was a nice change of pace, too.

Oliver Ono's artwork reminds me alot of the problems with Alberto Ponticelli's artwork with G&G: Very solid artwork when it comes to scenary, landscapes, and even the human characters, but extremely sloppy and flat out ugly artwork when it comes to the kaiju. I think RIVALS vs: Battra's story would have better benefited from being a mini, as the world and setting had a lot potential, but not enough time to flesh out. Not a bad issue, but definitely the weakest of Round 1.

M92 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:27 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:14 am

Not really..Vs. Mothra, Mothra vs. Titanosaurus, vs. Mechagodzilla, Biollante vs. Destoroyah had really mediocre writing..Art was hit or miss in those issues but not as bad from the Victor Santos days
Agreed...it's very naive to claim that "these have been solid except for Rivals VS: MG!". Round 3 overall has been extremely disappointing with some really shitty writing and artwork. And Round 2, while pretty decent overall, gave us the unmitigated disaster known as Biollante vs Destoroyah, which may have been the worst G comic I've read since Oblivion and the Powell/Marsh/Santos KOM days (Really loved that fight between final stage Destoroyah and Biollante that lasted 1 panel with Destoroyah immediately getting ripped apart :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:).

Round 4 starts with MvsHedorah and now Godzilla vs Manda (fun match up!). If they can right this ship with these 2 issues, this series can regain its momentum and continue to a Round 5 and beyond (where the hell have Anguirus and Baragon been? Get them in some Rivals VS issues ASAP :Baragon: :Anguirus: ).

Speaking of Godzilla vs Manda, thanks again to Kaijukurt for posting the A cover in the IDW thread. Here are the B & RI covers:

Image Image
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Something kind of funny I noticed about this series. Ebirah’s gotten a massive buff!

He used to be jobber’s jobber, but in this series he’s destroyed Rodan and messed up Mothra real good with the fight ending in a double KO.

And both fights weren’t even in water! Respect for the lobster.

Another notable buff/nerf is the Biolante vs. Destoroyah fight. We have the level 1 boss of the Heisei series disrespecting the Heisei final boss. It’s like if King Bob-omb rolled up to Bowser’s castle and wrecked him.

I guess that’s part of what makes this a fun series, you never know what’s gonna happen!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JesstrK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 pm I guess that’s part of what makes this a fun series, you never know what’s gonna happen!
What happened between Destoroyah and Biolllante would have been more interesting if it wasn’t so abrupt and we got to see more of the two monsters clash in their final forms.

I can actually believe that Destoroyah could be torn apart by Biollante (why not?), but like the death of that human villain, it happens unceremoniously. That comic had some neat ideas, and I actually really dug the art, but I don’t blame others like Ebirahismeg feeling it’s bad in certain aspects.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I skipped ahead and read the Rodan vs. Ebirah issue. That thing was a ride. If Ebirah is involved, you figure the fight is going to take place in or around the ocean, right? Freaking nope. :lol: They're on a space station, then tumbling down a giant elevator shaft! It's so completely bonkers and out of left field, and I love it. Huge points to the writer for originality. It's great to see Ebirah getting some respect and more or less winning the fight, but HedorahIsBestGirl isn't wrong that Rodan gets disrespected hard in this one. Knocking himself out with his own beam has to be a new low. Eh, I'm sure he'll redeem himself someday.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:05 am I skipped ahead and read the Rodan vs. Ebirah issue. That thing was a ride. If Ebirah is involved, you figure the fight is going to take place in or around the ocean, right? Freaking nope. :lol: They're on a space station, then tumbling down a giant elevator shaft! It's so completely bonkers and out of left field, and I love it. Huge points to the writer for originality. It's great to see Ebirah getting some respect and more or less winning the fight, but HedorahIsBestGirl isn't wrong that Rodan gets disrespected hard in this one. Knocking himself out with his own beam has to be a new low. Eh, I'm sure he'll redeem himself someday.
I'm glad someone else appreciates this issue. I loved it, and I think it's one of the best. Great concept, executed well, and it uses moments that don't focus on the monsters to establish the setting and characters. It's fast paced with no filler but time to breath. Always surprised to see people think less of it just because Rodan essentially self-destructs.

This to me is the best "Monster Versus Monster" issue because despite not taking place in the sea, it shows the uniqueness of each monster and using their full range of abilities.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ It does do a good job of showing the monsters' abilities. Both were out of their respective elements in that they couldn't fly or swim, but otherwise all of their powers and traits were on display. Ebirah in particular has a pretty limited possible moveset, but the writer and artist found ways to show off the things that he does have going for him. His multiple legs help him dig into the space station's deck when he's being pushed away by hurricane winds. His exoskeleton is too heavily armored for Rodan's claws to break. And his claws have a mean grip that shreds Rodan's wings and chokes off his uranium heat ray. Simple, but effective.

I just finished the Mothra vs. Titanosaurus issue. The actual monster fight was short and one-sided, but it was a great issue overall. The art style was very likable, with a manga aesthetic and impressive use of color on some pages. The scene with the helicopters lifting the egg onto the aircraft carrier particularly stood out, with everything on the page in shades of blue or green. Titanosaurus looked amazing and intimidating. The idea of kaiju using magnetic fields to mark their territories was a little random, but cool in the context of this story. Definite early Monsterverse vibes from that concept.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:53 am I just finished the Mothra vs. Titanosaurus issue. The actual monster fight was short and one-sided, but it was a great issue overall. The art style was very likable, with a manga aesthetic and impressive use of color on some pages. The scene with the helicopters lifting the egg onto the aircraft carrier particularly stood out, with everything on the page in shades of blue or green. Titanosaurus looked amazing and intimidating. The idea of kaiju using magnetic fields to mark their territories was a little random, but cool in the context of this story. Definite early Monsterverse vibes from that concept.
It's a fine issue, but to me at the time it was a bit of a let down compared to what came before it. I'm glad that Titanosaurus gets a sizeable feature and you get to see his rampage. But, as I wrote at the time, it felt like Titanosaurus could have been swapped out with any monster (Godzilla, Varan, hell Kameobas) and not much would change. It was nice to feature Mothra's Egg so heavily in the story. It's a "form" of Mothra that hasn't been shown in the comics at all really. But another rivals issue, Mothra vs. Moguera, will do this concept better.

Still, you're right about the art and the manga aesthetic being well-executed. Down the line I'm probably going to re-read these all and do a big ranking. I'm of the preference that these comics should be ambitious, and it's why I preferred the Rodan and King Ghidorah issues.

Curious what you think of the rest of the issues, especially without influence from others (positive or negative). Keep us updated!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Mothra vs Hedorah is out on June 5th. Here is a preview of the first few pages from flickering myth:

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Fri May 31, 2024 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Just read Mothra vs Hedorah....work has been insane, so I'll post my thoughts later this week.

In the meantime, here is a new IDW website exclusive cover:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This issue was good. Good ideas and neat things so far, but some issues here and there. I'd consider this a upper mid-tier Rivals issue, but there's still a lot to like about it and I enjoyed reading it.

I really liked Hedorah's portrayal in this story. As much as I liked War for Humanity, Godzilla Half Century War, and Rivals vs. Hedorah 1, too often Hedorah is reduced to a random mook for Godzilla or another monster to fight. I don't mean this power wise, but rather despite featuring Hedorah they never felt like they captured Hedorah's horror vibe. Hedorah appears, maybe slimes a few things, and that's it. This? This was a great appearance by the smog monster. It's pretty terrifying but it's crazy how Hedorah explodes out of somewhere and we get a sequence of Hedorah basically killing everyone. On top of that, they managed to include more of Hedorah's forms (tadpole, land, flying, final) in a way that despite being in a one-shot showcased each one's capabilities. It also explores some neat ideas: similar to Ken and scientists speculating possible good Hedorah could do, before realizing it's a bad idea that ends in failure, the idea of Hedorah possibly being used for medical application is raised. Interesting! With the exception of the flying form, Josh Cornillon draws Hedorah really well in a stylish fashion. There's a bunch of moments where Hedorah is a dark outline with glowing eyes, which is oozing with creepiness. It truly feels alien, unlike some other portrayals. There's also a good sense of size and scale when Hedorah attacks.

Mothra...is okay? I thought they'd go into the Mothra Festival a bit more, but we barely see it outside it wrapping up. It feels like a standard Mothra story in that regard: Mothra appears and saves the day after being summoned. The visual distinction between the twins, Aurora and Astrid is nice, and I like how they are different enough, but not annoyingly at each others throats. I hope that the Shobijin never get continually "whitewashed", but to me it was a nice change of pace to see Mothra twins that weren't short little Pacific Island Natives after nearly 60+ years of things generally feeling the same. I like how IDW (and possibly Toho) is possibly switching things up with them, although I hope we someday return to a more traditional portrayal.

Setting was unique! Nice to see a story that didn't take place in America. There's a nice shift from from the urban to rural too.

As far as the characters: they're okay. I like the main twins, Astrid and Aurora, and how the comic addresses and uncomfortable truth. It's easy to say, "Augh, don't work for X or Y, they're a horrible company", but when the game is rigged against you and they're the only major employer in your area, what are you to do? I like how the comic lists Astrid's objection and that little moment. The comic has a healthy amount of strife between the two sisters. The rich guy is so generic its not funny. Corporate cronies and bad businessmen are a focal point of Mothra stories, so it's unique to see someone in a role do essentially the same thing as kidnap the Mothra twins/egg before disaster unfolds but with Hedorah. And to the writer's credit though, it's clear they knew that. He is the first person killed and it happens rather early on. Props to then having Hedorah kill off everyone, including people who seemed morally alright. Much better than the random guy in Aftermath or other recent "super rich tech bros".

In regards to the grandma, I don't know. She has a short but impactful role. However, and I am aware things are different in Iceland, the way that she just casually drops she won't receive medical treatment seems a little unhinged. I think an issue with that stems from being unclear how old Astrid and Aurora are in the opening. I think they're in college in the beginning of the story as Aurora gets a job a few months later? This is important because it makes the grandma's decision to essentially off herself a bit fucked up. I get the theming of the story about rebirth and passing the torch, but it's something that left a bad taste in my mouth. It also seems in opposition to the idea of Mothra putting up a decent fight before sacrificing itself. I think it could have been handled much better by simply having the grandma say she is becoming too sick to continue the Mothra festival, and consciously explaining the importance of it, before passing away. I do like the cylical nature and parallels of Mothra and the egg and the grandma and the twins. There's also clear parallels with Hedorah being some sort of tumor/cancerous creature. I just feel that with a few small touches this could have been amazing.

To sum up though: I enjoyed the characters a lot and this felt much better written than some of the other comics. I really enjoy Godzilla comics that attach weight to a personal story, like the Jet Jaguar vs. Megalon Rivals Issue, versus just, "time to infiltrate the lab and get the data!"/"stop the monster!".

The art is a mixed bag. I like how expressive Astrid and Aurora are in moments. Likewise minus a stiff Flying Hedorah, Hedorah looks good too. Mothra looks off. I understand that drawing insects and monsters can be a challenge for people, so I get that. There's some moments where there's high stylization, like when we see the Hedorah tadpole and the panels have a melting and gross red outline. I wish we got more of that! Likewise, it feels like there's a lot of blank space, and backgrounds and other places feel empty. Based on what I've briefly seen of Pool Boys, I get the impression that Josh Cornillon is talented and has a lot of potential, but hasn't reached their sort of apex.

The fight itself was okay. Not the focus of the story, but it felt like Mothra and Hedorah had an appropriate amount of interaction compared to previous Rivals issues. It really did feel like a fight between the two where we got to see the combatants primary abilities. It was cool to see Hedorah actually fight a little in it's flying form, and use it's abilities. I was surprised when Hedorah just blew a hole through Mothra.

However, the ending confused me.
Spoiler:
Hedorah being lifted up into the atmosphere before being frozen has been done before. Beyond that though, I'm confused. Mothra dies...but if I'm understanding things right, Hedorah doesn't? You can see what appears to be the flying form flying away. But everyone is cheery? It's a refreshing to see a comic where the good monster dies but it's still a happy ending, but I'm unsure how I'm supposed to feel about it or if I'm understanding it right.
Good issue. One of the better Mothra stories. It reminds me a lot of Rebirth of Mothra (1996) and scrapped Mothra vs. Bagan drafts. I liked this one a lot, although it can be rough around the edges.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Same sentiments for this issue as with the MG 50th Anniversary and Valentine’s Day Special One Shots…enjoyable overall, but something’s just……missing.

Things I liked:

- Art was good overall. Hedorah lacked detail at times, and there were a few off panels here and there, but still a step up from some of the shitty artwork that has plagued recent issues of this series.

- The Icelandic setting continues the positive trend of setting Godzilla / kaiju stories in unique settings and getting out of the tired “East/West Coast American city” rut this series seemed to be stuck in for awhile...very refreshing.

Things I didn’t like:

- Mothra shows up literally out of thin air. One of the more poorly kaiju "entrances/debuts" I've seen in some time.

- Mothra vs Hedorah’s battle was…..ok. It won’t be making my “Top favorite Kaiju fights” list any time soon.

I just don’t have much to say to be honest…and not emotionally invested enough to nitpick a few other things.

I liked it overall, but I just haven’t been “wowed” by any of IDW’s post-HTBD output. However, it’s definitely an improvement over most of the Round 3 Rivals VS books as well as Mothra vs Moguera. Still not back to the level of the majority of issues in Rounds 1 & 2 yet, but we’re slowly getting there….looking forward to Rivals VS: Manda next.

And Here There Be Dragons II Sons of Giants cannot get here soon enough.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Didn't really care for this one. It wasn't awful, just hindered by the one-shot format. It seems like there's a lot more to Lazek and the town's Mothra connection but it doesn't have time to get expanded upon. Mothra appears so suddenly and the twins just randomly knowing that singing Mothra's song will summon her just seemed like such a random JOLT to the story.

Art was nice though, I liked how bright the colors were. It really popped.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Next Rivals VS issue will be MechaGodzilla vs King Ghidorah :Mechagodzilla74: :KingGhidorah64:

https://godzilla.com/blogs/news/idw-pub ... is-october

Your favorite kaiju rise from the depths of the ocean in an all-new comic dropping October 2nd, 2024. Witness the mighty Mechagodzilla, King Ghidorah, and Godzilla in Godzilla Rivals: Mechagodzilla vs. King Ghidorah.

The show-stopping 52-page Godzilla Rivals: Mechagodzilla vs. King Ghidorah comic book comes from the mind of writer Tom Waltz, the legendary writer of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and co-writer of The Last Ronin. This new twist on the legend of the lost city of Atlantis will feature a B cover by Justin Lonergan and a Retail Incentive cover by Justin Mason.

"From as far back as I can remember, I've often wondered about Ancient Atlantis,” says Tom Waltz. “Did it really exist? What was it like? How was it destroyed? So when I was approached by IDW to do a story for the great Godzilla: Rivals series, I immediately imagined Godzilla and [its] pals (and foes) having something to do with Atlantis' tragic demise. But even more, I saw the opportunity — alongside the magnificent art team of Casey Maloney, Maria Keane, and Ronda Pattison — to highlight how monsters so often beget other monsters...in this case, starting with humanity."