Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Re: Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus

Post by Eel221 »

Sorry for necroing this topic.

Most of fan art depict Titanosaurus as a spinosaur-like kaiju, but recently I realised that he probably was inspired by hadrosaurs (duckbilled dinosaurs), specifically parasaurolophus. The head crest, the (naturally) peaceful behaviour, the amphibian lifestyle (which is now considered inaccurate, but was considered possible back in 1970s), the quacking sounds, even the head shape is similiar to duck's. I think more people should consider this aspect of Titanosaurus' design/nature.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've also seen an art piece that takes Titanosaurus back to its sauropod namesake, but has a more Amargasaurus appearance.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

Titanodon
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanodon »

How do you all think Gemstone will handle Titanosaurus in the inevitable TOMG 50th anniversary short?
Last edited by Titanodon on Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Titanodon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:47 am How do you all think Gemstone will handle Titanosaurus in the inevitable TOMG 50th anniversary short?
Why is that inevitable?

One thing I want to point out is that Toho hasn't been really celebrating film anniversaries. They've been celebrating monster anniversaries. I dont think there's a chance in hell they're going to make a short featuring Titanosaurus.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Titanodon
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanodon »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:45 am
Titanodon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:47 am How do you all think Gemstone will handle Titanosaurus in the inevitable TOMG 50th anniversary short?
Why is that inevitable?

One thing I want to point out is that Toho hasn't been really celebrating film anniversaries. They've been celebrating monster anniversaries. I dont think there's a chance in hell they're going to make a short featuring Titanosaurus.
Yeah I meant monster anniversaries. They made one for Megalon, who hasn't made any major appearances outside of his debut movie. So why wouldn't Titanosaurus get one?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Because Titanosaurus has never been popular in Japan. I'd be shocked if they gave him the time of day. I'd rather they celebrate Angilas' 70th instead.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I have an odd relationship with Titanosaurus myself.

As a kid, ToMG was one of my favorite movies for the sheer fact that it had Titanosaurus and I loved her (sorry folks, I’ve always thought Titano is a she).

But as an adult….I find her roar annoying and she’s kind of generic and boring, though nicely designed.

I much prefer King Seesar now, which as a kid, I thought was lame as hell lol

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Titanodon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:05 pm
Why is that inevitable?

Yeah I meant monster anniversaries. They made one for Megalon, who hasn't made any major appearances outside of his debut movie. So why wouldn't Titanosaurus get one?
Megalon does have the one movie, but Megalon is better known than Titanosaurus. Megalon's film has a reputation for cheesiness that helps people remember it. It also aired on MST3K. Both of these things make Megalon stick in people's memory.

I like Titanosaurus, but I don't know if the kaiju will get an anniversary short. Mechagodzilla is much more likely to get one.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

Titanodon
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanodon »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:54 pm

Why is that inevitable?

I like Titanosaurus, but I don't know if the kaiju will get an anniversary short. Mechagodzilla is much more likely to get one.
Mechagodzilla's 50th anniversary is this year. Titanosaurus' 50th anniversary is next year

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Titanodon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:18 pm

Mechagodzilla's 50th anniversary is this year. Titanosaurus' 50th anniversary is next year
But Angilas' 70th is also that year. I think it's more likely that Toho will pay more attention to that than Titanosaurus' 50th.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Both can be true. King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla both have a celebration this year.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Year but that's King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. I don't see King Ceasar getting anything.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:51 pm Year but that's King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. I don't see King Ceasar getting anything.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

King Caesar was the unlucky guy whose anniversary was shared with one of the Big 5. I don't think there's really anyone but Anguirus, Titanosaurus, maybe Baragon who has an anniversary next year. Destroyah, maybe? Monster X? Pfft, yeah right.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

No matter what Toho or Gemstone does we'll never forget Titanosaurus.

Titanodon
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanodon »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:30 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:51 pm Year but that's King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. I don't see King Ceasar getting anything.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

King Caesar was the unlucky guy whose anniversary was shared with one of the Big 5. I don't think there's really anyone but Anguirus, Titanosaurus, maybe Baragon who has an anniversary next year. Destroyah, maybe? Monster X? Pfft, yeah right.
Monster X’s anniversary is this year

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Titanodon wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:43 am

And the Giant Condor's 60th anniversary is in 2026. Shockirus' 40th anniversary is this year as well. The Giant Sea Serpent will have his 60th anniversary in 2027, and the Giant Plant Monster that captured Ichiro from G's Revenge will have his 60th anniversary in 2029. I'm sure Gemstone and the Fest Godzilla folks already have shorts penciled in for all of them :keizer:
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Titanodon
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanodon »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:13 am
Titanodon wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:43 am

And the Giant Condor's 60th anniversary is in 2026. Shockirus' 40th anniversary is this year as well. The Giant Sea Serpent will have his 60th anniversary in 2027, and the Giant Plant Monster that captured Ichiro from G's Revenge will have his 60th anniversary in 2029. I'm sure Gemstone and the Fest Godzilla folks already have shorts penciled in for all of them :keizer:
All I said was his 20th anniversary was this year

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

would be mega funny if alongside Anguirus' 70th Toho also celebrated Ebirah's 60th

Anguirus IMO will definitely snatch the live-action short thanks to his popularity, that leaves us with Gemstone Titanosaurus. I hope they won't stray away from the melee brawl route
Last edited by Eel221 on Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moth
Gotengo Officer

Post by Moth »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:48 pm
Titanodon wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:18 pm
But Angilas' 70th is also that year. I think it's more likely that Toho will pay more attention to that than Titanosaurus' 50th.
Remember when they paid more attention to Mothra's 60th than Hedorah's 50th?

I don't.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Eel221 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:09 am would be mega funny if alongside Anguirus' 70th Toho also celebrated Ebirah's 60th

Anguirus IMO will definitely snatch the live-action short thanks to his popularity, that leaves us with Gemstone Titanosaurus. I hope they won't stray away from the melee brawl route
I would love an Anguirus anniversary short.

Moving away from the current discussion, does anyone think that the Ultraman monster Muruchi has any influence on Titanosaurus? Return of Ultraman came out a few years before ToMG, and the kaiju do have some basic similarity in design.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.