The "GxK 3/Monsterverse 6" News, Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
mypalfish
Yojimbo

Re: The "GxK 3/Monsterverse 6" News, Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by mypalfish »

Whoever gets hired to direct, please keep Junkie XL far away from the film.

Bring back Bear, or anyone that has an affection for the classic themes.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Spydrmanjr wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:59 amI think it is because people in the fandom are not getting what "they" want (vision, director, cast, writer, story, frequency, etc), and because they are not getting what "they" want they take offense and affront to it. It is doomed because it is not following the perceived trajectory in their minds.
No, it's not always as easy as this sounds. Sometimes you get a movie you like, and you still end up dooming and glooming when the audience rejects it and you realize that you were fundamentally incorrect to begin with. This has happened to me not once but several times. The real hardcore doom & gloom is usually in the General Toho section.
JAGzilla wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:18 amI was actually halfway serious about the multiverse angle. It's a completely legitimate option. The studio gets to use the established Monsterverse brand, the director gets to make their own movie, no one is overly confused about continuity. It opens the door for American Godzilla movies to do whatever they want without being stuck in the cinematic universe box while still using that box as an umbrella so as to avoid invoking either of the R words. Also, the base MV continuity can still be continued at the same time. Win-Win.
Oh, I thought you were kidding!
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

If it ended today, we got way more than expected. We got way more movies, way more accolades, way more box office, an epic resurgence by Toho, a 5th movie that has surpassed all but 1 of the previous films AND got an Oscar.

We are running on house money, no reason they can't take risks going forward. Just not to the GINO level.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I know everyone loves to put all the praise on the Monsterverse for what Toho has done with their films. But, I don't know, something is spine-crawlingly gross about pinning the accolades and awards Toho has won for Shin and Minus on the Monsterverse's influence.

MV or not, I stand firm that Toho would have come back in the game eventually with strong films regardless.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Didn't say one had influence over the other, speaking in general terms about the franchise. Toho winning the Oscar had nothing to do with the Monsterverse. Where the MV has helped Toho is visibility and I'm sure money hasn't hurt but the film, it's vision and success was all its own.

Don't know how it's gross to think the MV had anything to do with Toho's success, I mean I suppose it's your indictment of the MV in general on a personal level which you are entitled to. IMO, Toho has benefitted greatly from the MV on a business level. Their IP has never been more valuable and it affords them the ability to take risks they might not otherwise take, Shin being a perfect example.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:03 pm MV or not, I stand firm that Toho would have come back in the game eventually with strong films regardless.
We know that Toho working internally and pushing for a new Japan produced Godzilla film and talking to Anno predates G14’s release. We also know that Yamazaki was approached to make a Godzilla film even after the millenium series ended. I don’t know if what Yamazaki would have made then would be as good as Minus One is now, but I agree that Toho’s recent wins are independent of the MV.

Added in 7 minutes 14 seconds:
MrRockett wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:27 am If it ended today, we got way more than expected. We got way more movies, way more accolades, way more box office, an epic resurgence by Toho, a 5th movie that has surpassed all but 1 of the previous films AND got an Oscar.
I’ve repeated this too often recently, but as a longtime Godzilla fan it’s crazy to see definitive and quantifiable expansion. Newer fans will forget this, but the Godzilla franchise was dead for ten years, and even after that the early modern era was shaky with significant gaps between things to be excited about.

I made a comment about how I thought 2021 was the craziest the franchise would ever be because we had GVK and Godzilla Sp in the same timeframe.

Cut to 2024 where we had one of the best Godzilla films ever, a decent tv show, and GXK which delivered on monster action+lots of other neat stuff like short films and comics. I thought we’d read the peak but I think we’re still going uphill.

What’s next, 2027 with MV6, New Toho film, LOM Season 2, An animated Godzilla show, and maybe Justice League Vs Godzilla+Kong?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Weren't we just told in an interview that Toho was fine costing on Godzilla and G14 us why lot the fire for them to go and make Shin.

No the MV is not the reason Toho has put out two quality films but the MV or G14 specifically gave them the push to get back to work.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:34 pm Weren't we just told in an interview that Toho was fine costing on Godzilla and G14 us why lot the fire for them to go and make Shin.
We were told that, yeah, but that idea seems to bother some people. :shrug:

And yes, newer fans will not believe just how busy and wild this franchise is right now. It might not seem it, compared to the big boys like the MCU, but I think this kind of slower, steady growth is proving to be a superior model. The highs might not be as high, but the lows aren't as low, either.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

If nothing else, the MonsterVerse has helped make Godzilla more mainstream than ever before, which is obviously good news for Toho.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Garzon wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:13 pm If nothing else, the MonsterVerse has helped make Godzilla more mainstream than ever before, which is obviously good news for Toho.
This is perhaps the biggest success of the MV. Once the MV ends and LP reboots it years later, people will be excited to see Godzilla etc.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

One gross thing the Monsterverse has almost certainly done is open the door (leaving slime and maggots all over the doorknob) for Toho movies to be widely promoted, noticed, and watched on this side of the Pacific. It's really sickening, but the disgusting Monsterverse has brainwashed millions of drooling American morons into becoming fans of its smelly, inferior take on Godzilla. That, sadly, has probably generated mainstream interest in seeing the Japanese entries when they come along, too. The massive increase in promotion and viewership from Shin to Minus One seems to speak for itself. It really makes your spine crawl, doesn't it?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

^IKR it makes me mad! It’s like if the USA made a Mario game that hit with American audiences
Top five favorite Monsterverse titans:

1. Godzilla
2. King Ghidorah (#1 favorite MV design though)
3. Methuselah
4. Mecha-Godzilla
5. Doug

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Or if the U.S. made a Sonic the Hedgehog movie that got two sequels, people liked it so much. Truly deplorable. :cry:

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The amount of doom and gloom over the last couple of pages seems like an endless loop. I was skeptical that GxK would be as big as it ended up being, but I didn't think it would open under $40m or something. I wouldn't freak out over Wingard's departure.

GvK and GxK had some lore expansion, but it was sloppily executed and favored spectacle over worldbuilding. The last two films appeared to have minimal thought put into them as a result. If that's what makes money, expect more of the same. I'm here for the ride regardless. Box office and the MV's future are beyond anyone's control aside from buying a ticket to see it.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Sat May 25, 2024 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Showa Gyaos wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:34 pmGvK and GxK had some lore expansion, but it was sloppily executed and favored spectacle over worldbuilding. The last two films appeared to have minimal thought put into them as a result. If that's what makes money, expect more of the same. I'm here for the ride regardless. Box office and the MV's future are beyond anyone's control aside from buying a ticket to see it.
I don't think worldbuilding works in these kinds of movies at this point. In fact, I think a huge part of GvK's success is that it was really accessible to anyone who hadn't seen KSI and G14/GKOTM. The more you try to world-build, the more you lose being an entry point to the casual observer - saying this as someone who loves worldbuilding and used to crave more of it, I've accepted it's not the right route.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Get Michael Bay on the phone, it’s about time…
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER!

zukzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by zukzilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:23 am Get Michael Bay on the phone, it’s about time…
oh god no.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:23 am Get Michael Bay on the phone, it’s about time…
Only if he has Steve Jablonsky with him, we will get the very best Soundtrack for GxK 3 and the MV as a whole then

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Dyrakro wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 12:11 am
Only if he has Steve Jablonsky with him, we will get the very best Soundtrack for GxK 3 and the MV as a whole then
I would love to see Steve Jablonsky do the score. Maybe not Michael Bay, but Jablonsky could probably making something amazing.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

This person on Twitter compiled a good & realistic list of directors who could potentially direct the next Godzilla/Kong film. I could see any of these directors be on the next film.

https://x.com/minuskami/status/17952941 ... C5Fag&s=19