Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Hm...on eBay I found some original 1995 8 inch scale Destroyah figures for pretty good prices. A few scuffed up, and or no tags. But I can definitely afford what some people are asking.

I could have sworn it was twice as much not long ago.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's out of stock now, but Showcase Daikaiju's site had an 8" Destroyer listed for $50, which is probably average for this figure.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:16 am It's out of stock now, but Showcase Daikaiju's site had an 8" Destroyer listed for $50, which is probably average for this figure.
I really wanna get one, however I was never crazy about they went about the wings.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

A first look at Playmates toys Tiamat has leaked.. Hopefully Bandai doesn't forget about us again.

GodzillaCustoms1985
Ronin

Post by GodzillaCustoms1985 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:11 am Hm...on eBay I found some original 1995 8 inch scale Destroyah figures for pretty good prices. A few scuffed up, and or no tags. But I can definitely afford what some people are asking.

I could have sworn it was twice as much not long ago.
I've noticed something similar with the '92 Bandai Biollante. I was able to score one for just under $90 shipped, which seemed like a really great deal compared to how much they used to be listed for. I replaced my lil baby MMS Biollante with her. Haha.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:52 pm A first look at Playmates toys Tiamat has leaked.. Hopefully Bandai doesn't forget about us again.
Considering the movie wasn't that successful in Japan and Bandai has historically put little effort in their MV MMS series, I don't know why people think anything will be different now.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

OGMechaMothra wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:52 pm A first look at Playmates toys Tiamat has leaked.. Hopefully Bandai doesn't forget about us again.
You're better off just waiting for Hiya Toys to make Tiamat. The odds are higher there.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:07 pm
Considering the movie wasn't that successful in Japan and Bandai has historically put little effort in their MV MMS series, I don't know why people think anything will be different now.
I didn't know the MV hasn't been successful in Japan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:18 pm Considering the movie wasn't that successful in Japan and Bandai has historically put little effort in their MV MMS series, I don't know why people think anything will be different now.
I didn't know the MV hasn't been successful in Japan.
[/quote]

So we're playing a game of telephone here: Legion didn't say that the MV isn't big in Japan, he said that GXK hasn't been doing so well. Which is true, comparatively.

G14 and KOTM made 29 million USD and 25 million USD respectively which is higher/about the same amount as GMK. GVK (which came out during Japan's big crackdown on Covid in theaters) made 16 million, and GXK will probably make around that (it's actually doing much better than original doomsayers were saying). I get the impression that Japanese audiences do not like Kong as much as Godzilla, which makes sense.

They've restocked, but I have a big feeling Shimo will get the priority in terms of merch here. Originally, a lot of random Shimo merch sold out on the Godzilla store. It's also worth noting that the theater exclusives for GXK aren't sold out yet, unlike Minus One whose bandai and theater exclusives are really sought after.

Shimo is 100%, but a Skar King Bandai is still up in the air. Legion is right that Bandai has avoided making any bandais for the "minor monsters" like Scylla, Behemoth, etc... but I wouldn't say it's impossible. While some figures like Mechagodzilla, Muto 2014, Godzilla Evolved (in my opinion), and Kong (again in my opinion) are decent representations and toys, Rodan was a travesty. I have a feeling that Bandai will focus much more on other Godzilla stuff this year.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah I feel like once Bandai gets Shimo out they're done with GxK. There are bigger fish to fry Godzilla-wise in Japanese this year. I'm convinced the fall reveals are gonna be nuts. Even before that, we know what the release schedule looks like through Septmeber anyway.

Godziboomer64
Samurai

Post by Godziboomer64 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:46 pm Yeah I feel like once Bandai gets Shimo out they're done with GxK. There are bigger fish to fry Godzilla-wise in Japanese this year. I'm convinced the fall reveals are gonna be nuts. Even before that, we know what the release schedule looks like through Septmeber anyway.
If Bandai drops the ball on Scar King, that’s where I feel Y-MSF will step in. Who knows, they may even do their own Shimo done to scale like we all prefer.

Bandai ignores the less popular characters like you said earlier. But YMSF “sometimes” fills the void. Behemoth is a great example. ;)

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

It would be a ball drop if Bandai didn't put out a Skar King, but they dropped the ball a lot bigger by producing awful versions of Manda, Keizer Ghidorah and plenty of Toho-based figures in the last couple years, so we'll see.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

gojiwr20
Monsterland Worker

Post by gojiwr20 »

New G Store stream this Saturday/Sunday, so maybe we'll get some new reveals. Hoping for a look at some new G Store stuff.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Today I got my MMS One Punch Kong & Flatzilla.

Well, excuse me, but I think that Evolved Godzilla & B.E.A.S.T. Glove Kong from GxK are the weakest Godzilla-related MMS releases in a while. Godzilla is slim as skreeonk and Kong's mecha-arm alone is as thick and long as Godzilla's whole torso, like he'd easily be able to just one-shot him in combat. Viewed from the side they look OK, but from the front they look totally off together.

Then, Godzilla is almost squishily soft and thus came bend out of shape awkwardly while Kong is painted awkwardly with his whole leg fur being painted in his darker skin color and the skin of his mecha-arm fist being unpainted and left in his fur color.

All in all those are lazy BANDAI cash cows. Even the tags are stupidly simplistic looking. They can do much better and I really hope they DO better with their upcoming Shimo (and a potential Skar King)...
Size DOES matter!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's because they don't give a shit about the MV toys. They never have. I don't know why anyone puts any faith in Bandai MMS figures of these guys. Go with your other options for them and save Bandai vinyl purchases for stuff like 1955 Angilas, Baragon, Minya or 1964 Godzilla.

Toho is definitely loving the money and international fame the MV is bringing to Godzilla but it doesn't feel like Japanese audiences and consumers care at all.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu May 23, 2024 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Petezilla wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:44 pm Then, Godzilla is almost squishily soft and thus came bend out of shape awkwardly
I just got my theater exclusive, Pink Glitter Godzilla in the mail today, mine doesn't seem to be too squishy soft, but the lower half of its legs are bent inward which is a shame

As for my thoughts on the one that I got:
Tbh I think it's overall a pretty mid sculpt, but the simple, one color paint job (and the fact that it's translucent) hides some of its flaws compared to the normal version and makes it easier to look at, the glitter was also a nice touch, the whole thing looks like it could be strawberry or melon-flavored lol
Last edited by {---HYPERZeTToN---} on Thu May 23, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gojiwr20
Monsterland Worker

Post by gojiwr20 »

Bunch of old JP exclusives had their pages restored on the Godzilla Store, not "coming soon" but they're restored, so I'm not sure if it means anything

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Retro Space Godzilla is up for pre-order as well with a July release. I snagged it. I may not love the sculpt but the colors are fantastic.

Mechagigan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Mechagigan »

My Godzilla Evolved had really bent inward legs as well, I remember G14 having the same problem too. I think it's just cause of how thin the designs themselves are, plus being flattened by shipping

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:50 pm Retro Space Godzilla is up for pre-order as well with a July release. I snagged it. I may not love the sculpt but the colors are fantastic.
Lol, same, bastards got me there