Apple TV "Multiple Spin Offs" Speculation

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Apple TV "Multiple Spin Offs" Speculation

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:23 pm I can get behind a Monsterverse cryptozoology show. There's no logical reason all of the monsters should be huge, is there? The Japanese Godzilla movies have always had smaller things running around. The Meganulons, pre-mutation Kamacuras, Shokiras, Dorats, etc. Same with the King Kong movies. Bringing in things like Bigfoot or the Chupacabra isn't much of a stretch.
I agree, monsters don't have to be huge. But, it'll need to justify the focus on specific smaller monsters to be interesting. All the monsters you list are foreshadowing/preludes to something much bigger or nastier.

To give a good example: Bigfoot

Bigfoot is a prime target for having an interesting monster-mystery around. However, who cares about Bigfoot...when giant apes like Kong exists. The answer to Bigfoot is less a mystery in the MV and more of "oh yeah of course Bigfoot exists". In a world where ancient creatures like Godzilla, MUTOs, Behemoth, and Scylla all exist, is something like the Loch Ness Monster far-fetched? "Does the Loch Ness Monster exist?" "Yeah, probably."

The only sort of interesting thing this (hypothetical) show could do, if it's really real, is have the monsters be from the outside. IE: Bigfoot is revealed to be some psychic time-traveler, or Moth-man is from another dimension. Psychic creatures/tulpas might be aware to approach this, and edge towards the more hard science fantasy elements like psychics and aliens in some of the Godzilla films.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And I'd be all for something like that. It opens interesting new territory for the MV and lines up with my favorite paranormal theories. We'll see!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:46 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:23 pm I can get behind a Monsterverse cryptozoology show. There's no logical reason all of the monsters should be huge, is there? The Japanese Godzilla movies have always had smaller things running around. The Meganulons, pre-mutation Kamacuras, Shokiras, Dorats, etc. Same with the King Kong movies. Bringing in things like Bigfoot or the Chupacabra isn't much of a stretch.
I agree, monsters don't have to be huge. But, it'll need to justify the focus on specific smaller monsters to be interesting. All the monsters you list are foreshadowing/preludes to something much bigger or nastier.

To give a good example: Bigfoot

Bigfoot is a prime target for having an interesting monster-mystery around. However, who cares about Bigfoot...when giant apes like Kong exists. The answer to Bigfoot is less a mystery in the MV and more of "oh yeah of course Bigfoot exists". In a world where ancient creatures like Godzilla, MUTOs, Behemoth, and Scylla all exist, is something like the Loch Ness Monster far-fetched? "Does the Loch Ness Monster exist?" "Yeah, probably."

The only sort of interesting thing this (hypothetical) show could do, if it's really real, is have the monsters be from the outside. IE: Bigfoot is revealed to be some psychic time-traveler, or Moth-man is from another dimension. Psychic creatures/tulpas might be aware to approach this, and edge towards the more hard science fantasy elements like psychics and aliens in some of the Godzilla films.
I think there are a few options. Number one, do what you said and really dive in and make tradition cryptids way more sci-fi than normal. Number two, make an attempt at actually fitting cryptids in with the rest of Titan ecology. For example, if giant apes like Kong exist, where does Bigfoot fit into that? Or number three, do giant cryptids and make them Titans that are able to hide somehow.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'll say this those Hellhawks could easily inspire Mothman legends

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Gojira2K wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:23 pm Now if what this person says is true and their word is to be believed, the title of one of the spin-offs right now is "Cryptozoology" and has been in development since last October. I'm making an easy assumption that this would be the show KDM was talking about that began with "C". If this is indeed true, my speculation is that this will be a "Monster of the Week" type series with a new kaiju episode. And if it has been in development since last October, I will speculate on a mid 2026 release.

https://twitter.com/14_kaiju/status/1782599517017370682

Again, don't know how trustworthy this person is, but thought I would share, just in case they are.

Edit: It also seems that Legendary trademarked "Cryptozoology" around the same time development of this show is supposed to have started.

https://uspto.report/TM/98210423
This is not meant as a "call out," but the cited source is spotty in regards to information. In some cases the information provided by them in the past has been inaccurate or grossly exaggerated.

Definitely don't get too excited, as much as I'd love to see this kind of concept take place. Having creatures like Mothman appear in the same world as Godzilla would be a treat, but for now it's just a pipe dream.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I’d rather get a “monster of the week” series based-off titans we already have seen. I’d prefer to see episodes for titans like Doug or Methuselah than episodes for cryptids like Bigfoot and Mothman
Top five favorite Monsterverse titans:

1. Godzilla
2. King Ghidorah (#1 favorite MV design though)
3. Methuselah
4. Mecha-Godzilla
5. Doug

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Actually, it just occurred to me that "C" could be "Chasers", as in the Titan Chasers videogame. Could the videogame actually be a prequel tie-in to a Titan Chasers series?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Hmm good point didn't think of that. On e another note Im hoping that at least one of these series is set after KOTM or GvK

Kagutaba
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kagutaba »

How would you feel about a found-footage Monarch series done in the same vein as Trollhunter? Perhaps a show where a team of Monarch agents investigate and attempt to contain cryptids and various other megafauna on a weekly basis.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Not really feeling a FF Monarch show even though I'm a sucker for the genre and plus I kinda wanna focus on some more non Monarch characters for a change.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Kagutaba wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 am How would you feel about a found-footage Monarch series done in the same vein as Trollhunter? Perhaps a show where a team of Monarch agents investigate and attempt to contain cryptids and various other megafauna on a weekly basis.
Not a fan of that idea at all. Not interested in that subgenre, and would rather not have any found footage show or movie in the MonsterVerse.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I just want a Monster of the Week series highlighting some of the B-list and C-list titans. I'd pay good money for a show with a Doug-centric episode and a Methuselah-centric episode

Not a found-footage format though, but something like Legacy of Monsters
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Fri May 10, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top five favorite Monsterverse titans:

1. Godzilla
2. King Ghidorah (#1 favorite MV design though)
3. Methuselah
4. Mecha-Godzilla
5. Doug

GZillaguy199
Samurai

Post by GZillaguy199 »

So has anyone actually seen the new copyrights filed by Legendary?

one of them is a quote from M:LOM while the other one is "Cryptozoology".

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GZillaguy199 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:48 pm So has anyone actually seen the new copyrights filed by Legendary?

No? Where was this?

GZillaguy199
Samurai

Post by GZillaguy199 »

Pkmatrix wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:54 pm
GZillaguy199 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:48 pm So has anyone actually seen the new copyrights filed by Legendary?

No? Where was this?
Here actually
https://uspto.report/TM/98210468

https://uspto.report/TM/98210442
Last edited by GZillaguy199 on Tue May 21, 2024 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Cryptozoology is a weird term to copyright. Would be a crappy title in all honesty.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

Gross. What lets them get away with copyrighting a regular word? Is it just considered that niche?
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GZillaguy199 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:10 pm
Pkmatrix wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:54 pm

No? Where was this?
Here actually
https://uspto.report/TM/98210468

https://uspto.report/TM/98210442
Okay, first thing, those are NOT copyrights. Those are trademarks. VERY different things.

Important point to remember: it is illegal to copyright individual words or phrases in the United States. And trademarking such things is much more complicated and legally limited than the average person realizes.
Cookson wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:11 am Cryptozoology is a weird term to copyright. Would be a crappy title in all honesty.
The trademark is likely not for the title, but rather the slogan they want to use in promotion. Also, honestly, the word is too vague - I suspect this trademark is going to end up being rejected based on my understanding how how trademarks work in the US.
Neogeddon wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:59 am

Gross. What lets them get away with copyrighting a regular word? Is it just considered that niche?
Like I said, this is a trademark not a copyright. Very very different.

Emperor Scarlet
Yojimbo

Post by Emperor Scarlet »

I'm assuming Cryptozoology is a working title. My hope from something with that name is maybe something like a fake nature documentary about the Hollow Earth.

GZillaguy199
Samurai

Post by GZillaguy199 »

Emperor Scarlet wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:42 pm I'm assuming Cryptozoology is a working title. My hope from something with that name is maybe something like a fake nature documentary about the Hollow Earth.
I'm leaning more to a Primeval/X-files type Monster of the Week show which is what i was hoping that Legacy of Monsters should of been.