Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla: Great Naval Battle

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla: Great Naval Battle

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The possibilities for monsters from a similar origin as Godzilla is infinitely more interesting than a monster that is just a Godzilla clone. Likewise, as some mentioned, it’s interesting to have an underwater battle/scene that takes place for the bulk of the film.

While it’s probably a coincidence, this reminds me of the Devonian arc with Titanosaurus, Manda, and Gezora vs Godzilla in Godzilla rulers of the earth.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:57 am So... is it safe to say that we could've gotten Mechamanda?
Or something like Nurse from Ultraseven.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:15 pm The possibilities for monsters from a similar origin as Godzilla is infinitely more interesting than a monster that is just a Godzilla clone. Likewise, as some mentioned, it’s interesting to have an underwater battle/scene that takes place for the bulk of the film.

While it’s probably a coincidence, this reminds me of the Devonian arc with Titanosaurus, Manda, and Gezora vs Godzilla in Godzilla rulers of the earth.
Agreed, having monsters spawned from similar ways to Godzilla is not just more interesting but a very organic way to tie the narrative back to the original. I'd bring back Titanosaurus as the main creature Godzilla fights with two new sea kaiju. Whenever Titanosaurus properly returns, I want him to be handled with care and respect since he was one of the first kaiju I ever saw besides Godzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've always wanted to see Titanosaurus return.

Since suits and water don't mix, this would be an ideal story to tell through animation.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Or they could have used effects to make it look like they were underwater like specific filters.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I would've liked these three new monsters to be rebooted versions of Ganimes, Gezora, and Kamoebas.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Reviving this thread because apparently some concept art has cropped up from this thing. Including the design of the now named "Mechagodzilla II Kai" and.. whatever the heck that massive thing fighting Godzilla is. :shock:

Last edited by Gigantis on Sat May 18, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That monster makes me think of Gatanozoa, but I like it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Omg! This would have been an amazing film with high stakes.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's always funny when people talk about an unused Heisei film treatment as if it would have been anything different from the rest of the stuff we were getting in the second half of that series.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Gigantis wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:42 pm Reviving this thread because apparently some concept art has cropped up from this thing. Including the design of the now named "Mechagodzilla II Kai" and.. whatever the heck that massive thing fighting Godzilla is. :shock:

[]https://www.tohokingdom.com/images/lost ... ration.jpg[/]
Note this wasn't concept art, it's an illustration made specifically for the mook it appeared in, but it is based on designs that were submitted to Toho along with the proposal. Really dig the design of MG II Kai, pulls off the serpentine look really well.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:09 am It's always funny when people talk about an unused Heisei film treatment as if it would have been anything different from the rest of the stuff we were getting in the second half of that series.
The less you know about a concept, the easier it is to fill in the blanks with how you would have done it.

I think that aspect makes it easy to have rose tinted glasses on what could have been. See it a lot not just with this fandom but others as well, where people will tend to give unused concepts the benefit of the doubt.
If it bites... don't mess with it!