Godzilla vs the Justice League

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Shadd21
Samurai

Re: Godzilla vs the Justice League

Post by Shadd21 »

Is the issue still releasing today?

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Shadd21 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:20 pm Is the issue still releasing today?
Indeed. My local comicbook store called and they have one held back for me. Going to go pick it up tomorrow (tomorrow being the 21st for me).
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yes. Amazon is listing and saying it'll be out digitally in an hour. I was charged for it and there doesn't seem to be a delay. Let's hope!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Excited to see how it ends. Wondering if there is going to be any kind of ending tease for a second series?

Which speaking of, do we know how well this series has actually sold?
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojira2K wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:12 pm Excited to see how it ends. Wondering if there is going to be any kind of ending tease for a second series?

We don't know exactly how well it's sold, but a number of indicators have shown us it's positive. They've already reprinted the first two issues in a combined set. In general, comics tend not to get a reprint of the actual issue or two that isn't in trade unless it sold really well.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/justice ... ller-list/
There's also evidence to show that individual issues have sold more than other comic books and top bestseller lists.

Also, this is common courtesy, but while we can talk about the ending, use spoiler tags, especially if its something neat. I assume Joker+Ghidorah, but that's just me. I also wouldn't be surprised if there's no hook/cliffhanger, but they do a second round of this someday. MUTOs, King Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra, GXK stuff, are all absent from this crossover, so there's enough to work with. My other big prediction is at some point they'll adapt this as a DC/WB animated film.

Going into the final issue, I'm excited. I think the comic had a fantastic first and second issue, a decent but slightly slow middle, and assuming issue 7 matches issue 6 in quality a fantastic climax.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon May 20, 2024 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:24 pm
Gojira2K wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:12 pm Excited to see how it ends. Wondering if there is going to be any kind of ending tease for a second series?

We don't know exactly how well it's sold, but a number of indicators have shown us it's positive. They've already reprinted the first two issues in a combined set. In general, comics tend not to get a reprint of the actual issue or two that isn't in trade unless it sold really well.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/justice ... ller-list/
There's also evidence to show that individual issues have sold more than other comic books and top bestseller lists.

Also, this is common courtesy, but while we can talk about the ending, use spoiler tags, especially if its something neat. I assume Joker+Ghidorah, but that's just me. I also wouldn't be surprised if there's no hook/cliffhanger, but they do a second round of this someday. MUTOs, King Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra, GXK stuff, are all absent from this crossover, so there's enough to work with. My other big prediction is at some point they'll adapt this as a DC/WB animated film.

Going into the final issue, I'm excited. I think the comic had a fantastic first and second issue, a decent but slightly slow middle, and assuming issue 7 matches issue 6 in quality a fantastic climax.
Good to see at least the signs are there that it is doing well. If Issue 7 sticks the ending, I hope it has done well enough to warrant a sequel series.

I think it will be the same with Joker + Ghidorah, or potentially Joker + Skar King. But yeah, I'll keep it in spoiler tags after I read it tomorrow.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well I read it. Solid ending.
Spoiler:
Doesn't seem to be a set-up for anything. While the action was great, you can tell that everything is really, really swiftly wrapped up. It felt like the issues 3/4/5 could have trimmed just a little bit to make the climax more resolved. All that fuddling around with Kong was so pointless. I have a lot more to say, but I'll re-read it slowly and carefully. Maybe re-read the entire thing.
I think overall this crossover was amazing

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:09 pm Well I read it. Solid ending.
Spoiler:
Doesn't seem to be a set-up for anything. While the action was great, you can tell that everything is really, really swiftly wrapped up. It felt like the issues 3/4/5 could have trimmed just a little bit to make the climax more resolved. All that fuddling around with Kong was so pointless. I have a lot more to say, but I'll re-read it slowly and carefully. Maybe re-read the entire thing.
I think overall this crossover was amazing
Did Superman and Godzilla fight again? And how did it end?

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

It was a good ending. Hopefully this gets adapted to an animated movie. Didn’t tease anything to come after but hopefully it doesn’t prevent a future sequel if this is successful. Wouldn’t mind having Ghidorah, Shimo, or Skar King in the DC universe.
Shadd21 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:39 am Did Superman and Godzilla fight again? And how did it end?
Spoiler:
It was barely a fight. Superman punches Godzilla and dodges all of Godzilla’s attacks just so he can get Godzilla to chase him to the fight.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

B34sT wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:44 am It was a good ending. Hopefully this gets adapted to an animated movie. Didn’t tease anything to come after but hopefully it doesn’t prevent a future sequel if this is successful. Wouldn’t mind having Ghidorah, Shimo, or Skar King in the DC universe.
Shadd21 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:39 am Did Superman and Godzilla fight again? And how did it end?
Spoiler:
It was barely a fight. Superman punches Godzilla and dodges all of Godzilla’s attacks just so he can get Godzilla to chase him to the fight.
Spoiler:
That sounds like the best way to respect both parties. Godzilla gets to keep his win from earlier, and you also don’t anger the Superman fans by jobbing him. It’s also in character for both. Like in the last two MV movies, Godzilla will ally with someone he once considered an enemy if it becomes clear they will help him with a greater threat. And Superman isn’t going to start a fight with Godzilla for no good reason especially when the fate of the world is at stake.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Yeah kinda predicted what supes was up to lol. Trying to beat down a chained up opponent isn’t really within his character
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Just read the last issue. Enjoyed it. Wish it could have gone a little further on things, but overall thought it was fun though. Would definitely love to see an animated version of this for sure.
Spoiler:
My biggest criticism would be pacing. Kind of feels like they just wanted it to be done as fast as possible. There are a few examples of things that could've be focused on more. Like I think we could've had bigger entrance for Godzilla into the fight as an example. Kong getting Guy's Lantern Ring could have a bit more focus too. Just a little more actual monster characterization as well, like Godzilla acknowledging Superman at the end, in a similar way to how he has with Kong. Almost feels this specific issue could have been split into two.

Also damn, Scylla not having a good time in this or GxK.

I do think that this would work even better in animated form, but I hope DC animation gets better again first since recent stuff has been super lackluster in animation quality and writing.
But overall I really did enjoy this crossover and it would be fun to have a sequel series as well. Lot of Monsterverse stuff they haven't used yet.
Last edited by Gojira2K on Tue May 21, 2024 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

B34sT wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:44 am It was a good ending.
It stuck the ending, but just barely. It felt like many things could have been elaborated on, or things that were teased for issues weren’t really all that important. It manages to be okay, because it delivers on a big satisfying clash with lots of cool fanservice.
Spoiler:
For example, past issues made a big deal about the dream stone and toy maker. In this issue it’s revealed Godzilla killed the toy maker by seemingly accident and that the dreamstone was under Godzilla's foot. In theory, that's not a horrible twist, and it fits in line with Godzilla logic. However, it's a pretty big revelation that resolves one of the subplots pretty quickly. We don't see Superman remove the dreamstone either from Godzilla's foot. That entire undersea "fight", while still being faithful to Superman's character, could have been a little longer.

The final fight does a lot of this too: Scylla and Tiamat are defeated in two very small panels. Lex Luthor has very little dialogue and we never really see him in the cokcpit. Nothing with Ra A Ghul explaining why or how his big genius plan of summoning leagues of Skull Crawlers makes any sense.

There's not much tension either: only a brief moment with Lex having Kong on the ropes. The fight is basically Kong gets a green ring (awesome!) and then begins winning. Then Superman and Godzilla show up to save the day. Top be clear, it's awesome! I liked it! But little tension or motivation.

Despite all my minor nitpicks, I think it was a good ending. However, it's incredibly clear that they had to resolve tons of stuff very quickly. Godzilla and Batman never get to really interact either.
My point is that this feels so ripe for an animated adaptation that shows more of the random action, has more dialogue with Lex, etc...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojira2K wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:43 pm
Spoiler:
My biggest criticism would be pacing. Kind of feels like they just wanted it to be done as fast as possible. There are a few examples of things that could've be focused on more. Like I think we could've had bigger entrance for Godzilla into the fight as an example. Kong getting Guy's Lantern Ring could have a bit more focus too. Just a little more actual monster characterization as well, like Godzilla acknowledging Superman at the end, in a similar way to how he has with Kong. Almost feels this specific issue could have been split into two.
Yes, completely agreed.

One example you bring up is fantastic:
Spoiler:
Kong getting the Green Lantern Ring is fantastic! Wow what a cool moment. The lantern rings allow you to make all sorts of weapons and manifest things, right? I believe a big part of that is imagination? What does Kong do? Summon an axe he's used before. Maybe that makes sense, but come on, Kong is shown to be smart. In an animated version, I could see this sequence and moment being a far bigger deal. More focus/emphasis, more dramatic.

Fully agreed there should have been an 8th issue.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:10 pm
Gojira2K wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:43 pm
Spoiler:
Yes, completely agreed.

One example you bring up is fantastic:
Spoiler:
Kong getting the Green Lantern Ring is fantastic! Wow what a cool moment. The lantern rings allow you to make all sorts of weapons and manifest things, right? I believe a big part of that is imagination? What does Kong do? Summon an axe he's used before. Maybe that makes sense, but come on, Kong is shown to be smart. In an animated version, I could see this sequence and moment being a far bigger deal. More focus/emphasis, more dramatic.

Fully agreed there should have been an 8th issue.
Spoiler:
I also feel like the framing and paneling also doesn't really treat it as the really epic moment. It feels very mundane, almost a little boring. Like imagine Guy's ring is gone and it flies, but doesn't show you who it is going too. Then you turn the page and it's this epic double page splash of Kong wielding the ring. Then we do what you suggest and make it what Kong actually does with it more interesting than just the axe. But yeah animating the sequence, with epic music and sound effects as top of cool visual would really make it even better.
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I just realized
Spoiler:
The vanilla megazord did better against Godzilla than superman did
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:08 pm I just realized
Spoiler:
Not really?
Spoiler:
MZ was pretty much on the backfoot for that fight with their shields about to give out to Godzilla's atomic breath, Forcing them go kamikaze against his atomic breath just to land a "deathblow" on Godzilla with the Power Sword, which ultimately failed due to Godzilla's durability.

Superman on the other hand, after making clear that he wasn't trying to kill Godzilla, then proceeds to fight him to a stalemate, It wasn't Superman was preoccupied with saving Billy that Godzilla was able to get the jump on him, earning the W.
Last edited by Shadd21 on Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shadd21 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:21 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:08 pm I just realized
Spoiler:
Not really?
Spoiler:
MZ was pretty much on the backfoot for that fight with their shields about to give out to Godzilla's atomic breath, Forcing them go kamikaze against his atomic breath just to land a "deathblow" on Godzilla with the Power Sword, which ultimately failed due to Godzilla's durability.

Superman on the other hand, after making clear that he wasn't trying to kill Godzilla, then proceeds to fight him to a stalemate, It wasn't Superman was preoccupied with saving Billy that Godzilla was able to get the jump on him, earning the W.
Worrying about or comparing the abilities of two different incarnations of Godzilla against two separate groups of long running fictional entities is a fruitless endeavor.

Godzilla18
Samurai

Post by Godzilla18 »

Well I just finished the last issue and I gotta say it was a fun series. The ending though was a bit rushed and anti-climatic in my opinion at least in regards to Godzilla. Kong got his chance to shine and shine he did literally. Disappointing though that Giganta was present through almost every issue and strangely not once did we see her fight any of the monsters let alone Godzilla or Kong. I mean the woman can grow kaiju size just like Atom Smasher and has fought viciously against Wonder Woman numerous times but whatever. It was entertaining watching all the Superman fans go on about how Superman was going to beat Godzilla but the second Godzilla took him down they went into total defensive mode and were coming up with excuses left and right. Of course now after Superman gave one punch to Godzilla again and suddenly they're all about how Godzilla doesn't stand a chance with the Man of Steel again. There's just no debating or reasoning with those types of fans. Overall I hope the series gets an animated movie or even an animated movie trilogy because there is a lot they can fit into that with this material.
Last edited by Godzilla18 on Fri May 24, 2024 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
A monster? A king? A god? Or is Godzilla all three?

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

So I finished it as well.

I liked how the Godzilla/Superman conflict was resolved. Nobody got humiliated and both were in character. Green Kong was cool, though it was kind of weird that we didn’t see how Superman broke the nth metal chains. Did he heat vision them? Just rip them off? Did he combine his strength with Godzilla’s to break them?

As others have said, it definitely felt rushed which is weird considering it got delayed so much. Godzilla didn’t fight or interact with Mechagodzilla even once which felt criminal. In fact, he barely participated in the final battle at all. Honestly, I think Kong and the rest of the league could have won even if Godzilla and Superman didn’t show up.
Last edited by JesstrK on Fri May 24, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.