Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:18 am All good things must come to a end. Minus One is about to have its final day in Japanese theaters.
Are you sure about that? I’m still seeing local theater listings until next week, as far as the 25th. Other movies (like frozen empire) are listing their last days as the 25th, but -1.0 does have that warning/marker. I think Minus One will continue to play during GXK’s run lol.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:57 pm
Cookson wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:18 am All good things must come to a end. Minus One is about to have its final day in Japanese theaters.
Are you sure about that? I’m still seeing local theater listings until next week, as far as the 25th. Other movies (like frozen empire) are listing their last days as the 25th, but -1.0 does have that warning/marker. I think Minus One will continue to play during GXK’s run lol.
lol maybe so then. I could have sworn I saw it was ending the 18th. Hey let it play!
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

The fact that Minus One grossed more in the USA than it did in Japan is fucking crazy man
Top five favorite Monsterverse titans:

1. Godzilla
2. King Ghidorah
3. Methuselah
4. Mecha-Godzilla
5. Doug

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm The fact that Minus One grossed more in the USA than it did in Japan is fucking crazy man
It only grossed more because of monetary conversion rates. Had $1.00=100 yen, Minus One would have made somewhere between 70-80 million. That's a lot considering how busy Japanese people are and how the population of Japan is roughly 1/3 of the USA.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm The fact that Minus One grossed more in the USA than it did in Japan is fucking crazy man
Yeah, it's almost like there are more people here and more people watched it, lol

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Pacfanweb wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:40 pm
Yeah, it's almost like there are more people here and more people watched it, lol
Not exactly

Added in 34 seconds:
I wonder what Toho is pushing for. They’re re releasing -1/-c again
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:22 am I wonder what Toho is pushing for. They’re re releasing -1/-c again
They're pushing for it to surpass Shin Godzilla domestically in yen I assume. It's close, right?

Also, this weekend/today is Godzilla X Kong's Japanese release date. With GXK out, I assume that some Godzilla-otakus will see both. On top of that next week is Golden Week, where people actually have time to see many movies. I assume they want to keep Minus One at least for the next week so people have something to see.

It's possible, but not 100%, Minus One could surpass Shin this week.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

-1 is at 7.47
Shin finished with 8.25

Not possible to catch it

zukzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by zukzilla »

there's a report that G-1 will be leaving the theater May 9th.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

zukzilla wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:03 pm there's a report that G-1 will be leaving the theater May 9th.
It's absolutely wild how well this movie did.

Like.

That's a seven month theatrical run

RIP Evan.

zukzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by zukzilla »

Yea, it done so well then we all expected and even got praise with Hollywood and won a Oscar!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yep, I can confirm it. On the local theater listing it says Minus One’s last day is May 9th. Makes sense, it’s Golden Week (a few consecutive holidays), so this is the last time to milk some money out of it.

On top of that, Minus One is already out here on Blu-ray and I believe digitally.

zukzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by zukzilla »

G-1 hit 5M attendees, you know that means.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

zukzilla wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:50 am G-1 hit 5M attendees, you know that means.
What does it mean?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

zukzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by zukzilla »

Spuro wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:44 am
zukzilla wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:50 am G-1 hit 5M attendees, you know that means.
What does it mean?
it means this movie is mega success.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Japan

Last edited by Cookson on Wed May 22, 2024 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Nice. So, in the end, Minus One had the bigger worldwide run thanks to resonating with Americans, and Shin Godzilla held down Japan.

As prophesized by the memes. Win-win! :shingodzillapurple:
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

True, however minus one got super close to Shin in the end though, in Japan. The yen is super weak right now so that’s why dollar amount is almost 30 million off between the two.
Last edited by Cookson on Wed May 22, 2024 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

It had a month longer run to try to catch up, though. Lots of factors to consider.

Their overall totals also can't be totally compared fairly since Shin's US release was so half-assed comparatively, and the building hype from Shin, KoTM to an extent, and especially Godzilla vs Kong put wind in the sails Shin didn't benefit as much from.

Hence the adage, figures lie and liars figure. But the numbers are what they are, even if they take some mental adjustment to understand in context.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle