Kaiju No. 8 Anime

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju No. 8 Anime

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:57 am The tone is a little all-over-the-place, and the comedy is on the loud, immature side for my taste. But it kind of fits, admittedly. I'm definitely on board to give it a few episodes and see how everything shakes out.
Yeah, the nipple peeing was a bit much for me.

However, I'm wondering if these are all "get off the ride now" warnings if by some chance people came into this expecting shounen. In other words, you have heavy gore and gross stuff, as foreshadowing and an entrance point to later content that might be much more darker and explicit. A hint that something is off or it'll go places.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Nah, the nipple peeing honestly got a good laugh out of me the first time I read that chapter. Plus, I thought it was a funny way of showing how utterly bizarre kaiju biology is.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Cool episode this week. The main thing I'm disliking about the show right now is having to wait a week for new episodes, which is a good sign.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jomei wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 pm Cool episode this week. The main thing I'm disliking about the show right now is having to wait a week for new episodes, which is a good sign.
Agreed. When the ending started I want “aww I wanted to see more”.

It really is just “What if the mutants from GFW were the main show though” and I’m enjoying that! It is also nice that for now, the show is taking time to focus on Kafka facing a personal struggle, and not trying too much to rely on his Kaiju abilities.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Episode 4 brought the escalation I'd been craving along with several new layers of characterization. Very satisfying. I feel invested for sure after this ep.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jomei wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:49 pm Episode 4 brought the escalation I'd been craving along with several new layers of characterization. Very satisfying. I feel invested for sure after this ep.
In full agreement. Genuine “oh shit” moments, and the appearance of a creepy and inspired villain.

It being in the bathroom at the end really reminded of something out of Ultraman. Also, nice way to connect it back to the Kaiju-corpse cleaning service.

Kagutaba
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kagutaba »

Finally started this just yesterday, it's pretty good so far. Gives me strong Chainsaw Man/Guyver vibes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Episode 5 was fine. Good comedy and it was nice to flesh out some of the supporting cast more.

However, the cat-man (was it Hoshino?) says something rather dark which it's not a good idea to make too many friends. While I forsee Ichikawa being a mainstay, as well as other characters, I'm wondering is pink-hair/green hair/and blonde JDSF are fodder for when shit hits the fan.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I'm enjoying seeing the characters and their relationships fleshed out more. I like their more formal JAKDF (IIRC?) uniforms, too.

Craving more kaiju action, but ya know, this is the nature of weekly releases at the early end of a series. Drip drip drip. Still on board but not out of my mind for it. It has this nostalgic like "oh yeah, this would have been the shit back in the mid-Adult Swim/Newtype Magazine in English" days kind of feeling. I think it's the particular blend of comedy and action/horror. Like, does anybody remember Chrono Crusade? Similar "this isn't the absolute peak shounen of its era, but it's good and unique enough."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Latest episode had a cool monster design...this giant mushroom turtle thing. After some smaller monsters it was nice to finally see something big, although it was a shame that it was killed quickly. The big question I have though is if we'll get some other MMS stuff down the line. For example, if a cool and memorable villain shows up we'll get something like that.

Also it was neat to finally realize what the Honju/Yonju were. Hon is probably main and Yo is short for weak/yowai. This universe seems to make that distinction between the larger kaiju and the smaller ones. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that's what it is.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Yeah, another good episode. Great to finally see a kaiju of that scale.

edit: Also, apparently the author cites three of my very favorite kaiju works as inspiration for the series, giving me even more anticipation for what's to come. Specifically, he names Ultraman/Seven, Pacific Rim, and Shin Godzilla.

He says that, despite enjoying kaiju works as a kid, his interest faded as an adult... until he saw Shin Godzilla.
Last edited by Jomei on Tue May 21, 2024 8:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

robopolonius
Young Farmer

Post by robopolonius »

Is this manga any good? I don't like battle shonen, but I liked Guyver and I could do well to have a new kaiju/mecha manga to read.

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

robopolonius wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:23 pm Is this manga any good? I don't like battle shonen, but I liked Guyver and I could do well to have a new kaiju/mecha manga to read.
I only have 3 volumes, as far being like Guyver it's not as dark as the Guyver manga so idk if thats really a great point of reference. But it is still a good read. It's not a typical battle shonen fore sure

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Great episode this week. Kaiju no. 9 reminds me a lot of an Ultra alien foe. Pretty intense cliffhanger, too.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:44 pm It being in the bathroom at the end really reminded of something out of Ultraman. Also, nice way to connect it back to the Kaiju-corpse cleaning service.
Absolutely. I also think it's quite funny that Kaiju No.8's manga started in July 2020, the very same time with Ultraman Z which also introduced us to a clean-up team for Kaijus attacks with one of it's members being used by a parasitic kaiju as a host.

Last edited by Dyrakro on Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jomei wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:36 am Great episode this week. Kaiju no. 9 reminds me a lot of an Ultra alien foe. Pretty intense cliffhanger, too.
In the new episode I liked the scene with Kaiju No. 9 driving in the car in the sunset. Something about the visual feels really 70s/80s Ultraman to it but maybe that's just me.

Another decent episode. My only complaint is so far there hasn't been any long extended sequences of moment or tension. Hoshino is scary, and Kaiju No. 9 is creepy, but still both haven't pushed Kafka as much as I'd like. So far, most of the fights are just someone dodging for a few minutes before escaping.

Added in 2 minutes 5 seconds:
Dyrakro wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:14 am clean-up team for Kaijus attacks with one of it's members being used by a parasitic kaiju as a host.
Spoiler:
I am kind of disappointed it seems as though they've dropped the idea of #9 mimicking a cleaner in favor of some rando. I thought the series would take on a neat role where Kafka visits the clean up crew and instantly recognizes kaiju no. 9 leading to a very tense moment. However, it does make sense that it would want to take on a new host after being seen by Ichikawa and Red haired guy.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:05 pmMy only complaint is so far there hasn't been any long extended sequences of moment or tension. Hoshino is scary, and Kaiju No. 9 is creepy, but still both haven't pushed Kafka as much as I'd like. So far, most of the fights are just someone dodging for a few minutes before escaping.
So, about that. :pelops2:

Fantastic episode this week. That's all I'll say. Best blend of shounen fighting and kaiju the series has displayed yet.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jomei wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:26 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:05 pmMy only complaint is so far there hasn't been any long extended sequences of moment or tension. Hoshino is scary, and Kaiju No. 9 is creepy, but still both haven't pushed Kafka as much as I'd like. So far, most of the fights are just someone dodging for a few minutes before escaping.
So, about that. :pelops2:

Fantastic episode this week. That's all I'll say. Best blend of shounen fighting and kaiju the series has displayed yet.
Agreed.

The red wyvern guy was that I thought the mushroom man would be. We finally have a semblance of a real threat!

I also liked the moments of the wyverns flying over a sea of flame. Also the EDF from Godzilla Final Wars inspiration is much more blatant now.

zukzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by zukzilla »

That Ep was really good. God I think I'll start reading the Manga.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Another exciting episode this week.
Spoiler:
Kafka spilled the spaghetti earlier than I was expecting, so I guess we'll be going through the "kill or don't kill the MC with dangerous super power" trope next ep.
Definitely hooked now. Solid B+ or so level anime but of course with the bonus points for being KAIJU. :pelops2: