Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by Neogeddon »

Oh damn, GMax Grimmsnarl IS an Eva. The bulk of it is just hair too, so it sort of mirrors the "smaller dude piloting a bigger body" thing.

I also like Trubbish and Garbodor. Find it super weird that people dismiss them just because what they're based on is unappealing. But they themselves are super cute and fun, so what's the problem?
Speaking of which, I'm fascinated by this official image from a few years back that would seem to imply Trubbish is, somehow, a cat. I have a theory but it's... a lil gross.
Another tanget, I also am a huge fan of Mew not being included as a cat here because imo that's one of the most boring fan interpretations for a Pokemon (and it's directly contradicted by official word saying it was based on Mewtwo's design... and if you think Mewtwo is even remotely a cat idk what to say). Only the ears and vaguely the shape of the face are cat-like; the rest really isn't. It's a funky embryo creature and I love that.
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:39 pm I think Muk and Garbodor are both based on Hedorah. The latter more so - it even has a similar body shape - but I don't think it's too big of a stretch to assume the idea of a shapeshifting pile of sludge with a life of its own was inspired by my favorite smog monster, too.
Absolutely. Blobby pollution monster. Has to have at least been partially inspired by Hedorah.

Speaking of which. Have you guys seen this amazing artwork? It's a great homage to Godzilla vs Hedorah.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Neogeddon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:59 pm Another tanget, I also am a huge fan of Mew not being included as a cat here because imo that's one of the most boring fan interpretations for a Pokemon (and it's directly contradicted by official word saying it was based on Mewtwo's design... and if you think Mewtwo is even remotely a cat idk what to say). Only the ears and vaguely the shape of the face are cat-like; the rest really isn't. It's a funky embryo creature and I love that.
I'm pretty sure that Mew and Mewtwo are based on Gigue/Giygas from Mother and Mother 2/Earthbound.

It's worth getting into something that is mildly annoying about Pokemon: they'll never really be specific what the pokemon are based on, ESPECIALLY if they're actually some pop culture reference or because someone likes something else.

Added in 15 seconds:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:09 pm
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:39 pm I think Muk and Garbodor are both based on Hedorah. The latter more so - it even has a similar body shape - but I don't think it's too big of a stretch to assume the idea of a shapeshifting pile of sludge with a life of its own was inspired by my favorite smog monster, too.
Absolutely. Blobby pollution monster. Has to have at least been partially inspired by Hedorah.

Speaking of which. Have you guys seen this amazing artwork? It's a great homage to Godzilla vs Hedorah.

This pic goes HARD.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:12 pm This pic goes HARD.
Hell yeah, it does. One of my favorite little details the artist got is that Baxcalibur almost has a "rubber suit" texture with the various folds and creases along its tail and limbs.

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:12 pm
Neogeddon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:59 pm Another tanget, I also am a huge fan of Mew not being included as a cat here because imo that's one of the most boring fan interpretations for a Pokemon (and it's directly contradicted by official word saying it was based on Mewtwo's design... and if you think Mewtwo is even remotely a cat idk what to say). Only the ears and vaguely the shape of the face are cat-like; the rest really isn't. It's a funky embryo creature and I love that.
I'm pretty sure that Mew and Mewtwo are based on Gigue/Giygas from Mother and Mother 2/Earthbound.

It's worth getting into something that is mildly annoying about Pokemon: they'll never really be specific what the pokemon are based on, ESPECIALLY if they're actually some pop culture reference or because someone likes something else.
Probably - lots of the same people made both games. Otherwise I like to think of Mewtwo as sort of a vague chimera type of beast. It's not quite a mammal, or a reptile, or an amphibian.
Mew is a rare exception to the rule of them not clarifying origins... Although I guess it's still unclear by proxy lol: https://nintendoeverything.com/game-fre ... sign-more/

Also worth noting that the official French translator of the Pokemon names claims to have asked if Mew's name was based on the noise a cat makes, and was told flat-out "no".
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

I finally caved and got a Pokemon Home subscription. I've got some Pokemon that are kind of sentimental to me in a weird way. So I'm going to bring them over. It'll also be kind of cool trying to actually complete the Pokedex altogether in Pokemon Home. So that's a project I've got going now.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:19 pm I finally caved and got a Pokemon Home subscription. I've got some Pokemon that are kind of sentimental to me in a weird way. So I'm going to bring them over. It'll also be kind of cool trying to actually complete the Pokedex altogether in Pokemon Home. So that's a project I've got going now.
Who on here has a complete pokedex? At various points I've had living dexs that don't include event pokemon.

Controversial opinion: I'll always prefer for the event pokemon to be packaged as DLC in an actual expansion. I will never pay for a pokemon, but I like the idea that at any point you can get Scarlet or Violet and get things like Terapagos or whatever.I haven't picked up Scarlet since I beat the DLC, but I like the idea that I can return tomorrow and catch everything, including Perchurant. People think that having limited events causes users to pay/be involved with FOMO, but it always has the opposite affect on me. It makes me not care.

I might join you in finishing a living dex for gen 9. Yeah, I'm going to boot up S/V.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

I kind of agree about the event Pokemon. It feels just as special as older events to have them in DLC anyway, and more fans can be included in the "events" this way. Besides, you can still get cool shinies, maxed stat Pokemon, etc. with the occasional mystery gift for the people who want to go through a little more effort for special Pokemon. I actually lucked into some older mystery gift Pokemon with a used copy of Pokemon X I bought recently. In the interest of preserving them, I put them all into Pokemon Home too.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

After a few months I've returned to Scarlet. Last time I had finished the DLC. I went in expecting the epilogue to just be a ten minute affair. Percharunt would show up, maybe do something small, and then we'd have a chance to catch it.

Nope!

I was surprised how long the epilogue was. Still wasn't as big as either full DLC, but I was surprised it had a few little storybeats with the characters. It felt a lot more involved than previous Pokemon events, like a return to form in Gen 3/4/5 stuff. We get some cutscenes with the gang from the base game and them getting to interact and reflect on all of our journeys. There's little character stuff like Arven being jealous by Kieran being our friend, and a sense of rivalry between Kieran and Nemora. All of this then transitions to a series of decently difficult (for a kids game) series of battles. Maybe others had an easier time than me, but the Pecharunt fight was pretty difficult for me. I still got it ko'd on the first time, but the combo of "poison/confuse+bulk" and it's ability to buff itself to 6+ really made the fight a pain. In conclusion, the epilogue was pretty good. I actually think that this worked better as a proper ending to the DLC as a whole. It ties the main game into the DLC nicely, allows Kieran to become our friend again, and wraps up a bigger mystery that the Kitakami DLC started. Honestly, I like Pecharunt a lot more than Terapagos, and it feels like they did a much better job with that.

I did the epilogue in one sitting late at night and it felt really satisfying.

The next day I completed the base game Pokedex and started working on the Kitakami ones. I forgot how fun it is to try and catch/evolve Pokémon, particularly the new ones. There weren't many, but I still needed: Poltagiest line, Archuludon, Dripplin/Hydrapple, Pawmott and some ones I'm transferring.

Now I'm finishing up Perrin's quests to catch the Bloodmoon Ursuluna before taking on the special paradox pokemon. While it's tedious in some ways, I really like locking some special forms/pokemon behind it's own little questline thing that is seperate from the main DLC stories. It's way better than the stupid diglett hunt in the Isle of armor DLC. It does feel like, sans some battle facilities that S/V is the most and complete Pokemon game.

Question for anyone: Does anyone have the two special paradox Pokémon from the Violet DLC?

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

I'm working my way up to the DLC currently. It's just taking me a bit since I've been so busy with work.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Been busy, so I haven't tackled the current competitive doubles ruleset. As they start allowing the box legendaries, I feel like it becomes less balanced. But maybe I'm wrong. Should give it a shot.

... that said, I'd also be very happy if we did get something like a B/W remake and next year's competitive were rooted in that.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle