Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Titanus_Rodan
Interpol Agent

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Kagutaba wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:49 pm A picture of various Bandai Namco Ultraman Rise toys and a glimpse at the boxes for the new 5 inch Godzilla line is floating around, source- Bandai Namco US HQ.
Can you post the link or photos? Can’t find it anywhere

Also looks like Hedorah ‘71 may be getting a re-release
https://twitter.com/KJRoberts927/status ... 1950005736

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Honestly that new paint job looks really good; but it also highlights how much the base sculpt needs an update.
Does Bandai just have no faith whatsoever in a new Spacegodzilla sculpt selling? I admit he's not one of my favorites, but overall he still seems like a popular monster (at least in the west).

Mechagigan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Mechagigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:24 am Nuts how they've done brand new KG91, Fire Rodan, MG93 and Destroyer figures and even retooled the 55, 64 and GFW Godzillas slightly but they're fine just reusing the Space Godzilla mold.
I hate the new GFW one! I haven't seen anyone else mention this. I mean it's not totally bad but it's definitely worse than the original MMS sculpt, imo. Why bother changing it? Especially when, like everyone is saying, figures like SpaceGodzilla have seen zero changes and still look like 90s sculpts.

Though, in his case, I feel like it must be a popularity thing. Pretty much every other monster from the original series have had a re-sculpt, maybe a few exceptions.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:15 am Image

Unless something changes, it looks like King Shisa is getting shafted. This year's retro color is Spacegodzilla.

Price is 3,540 yen. I will get it, although I understand there is something scummy about this specific recolor because it's not a new sculpt.
Fuck, I kind of want it, and I don't know why. I guess I like the pop of the saturated colors.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Really hope Bandai does a proper Zedus vinyl some day.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

B34sT wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:32 am Missed opportunity on the SpaceGodzilla to not go with the Trendmasters colors there.
Beyond Mondo, who else has replicated that color scheme? I assume Toho can authorize it for Bandai (if they haven't already) if they did for Mondo.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But what motivation would Bandai have to do a nostalgic color scheme that Japanese consumers have little to no awareness of?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:29 pm Really hope Bandai does a proper Zedus vinyl some day.
Ditto. This is one of the characters I’ve been waiting for them to do for years. I don’t think it’s unlikely, and an updated Toto would be nice as well.

Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:28 am But what motivation would Bandai have to do a nostalgic color scheme that Japanese consumers have little to no awareness of?
Zero :lol:
The Trendmasters stuff barely has a following in Japan. Even in 2018 I remember many of the 1998 toys being sold brand new for peanuts in the second hand shops.

I love those figures, I grew up on them, but I don’t think Bandai is going to be playing with TM repaints any time soon. More likely that Super7 will be covering that ground for their Ultimates.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:28 am But what motivation would Bandai have to do a nostalgic color scheme that Japanese consumers have little to no awareness of?
Why are they creating crappy action figures now? US market.
Creature22 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:47 am
Zero :lol:
The Trendmasters stuff barely has a following in Japan. Even in 2018 I remember many of the 1998 toys being sold brand new for peanuts in the second hand shops.

I love those figures, I grew up on them, but I don’t think Bandai is going to be playing with TM repaints any time soon. More likely that Super7 will be covering that ground for their Ultimates.
Agreed, that it would be more in S7s wheelhouse, but, like I said, Bandai is marketing to the USA more than ever now. I actually could see it happening.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

All the Bandai MMS figures are intended, first and foremost, for the Japanese market. That's the audience. Are some trickling into the US thanks to the US Store and official Bandai Namco releases? Yes, but all of them are figures that were released in Japan first. We're the afterthought.

The idea of painting a MMS SG toy Trendmasters colors doesn't make sense, because Japanese consumers, where the majority of sales come from, have no idea what that color scheme is.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:02 am All the Bandai MMS figures are intended, first and foremost, for the Japanese market. That's the audience. Are some trickling into the US thanks to the US Store and official Bandai Namco releases? Yes, but all of them are figures that were released in Japan first. We're the afterthought.

The idea of painting a MMS SG toy Trendmasters colors doesn't make sense, because Japanese consumers, where the majority of sales come from, have no idea what that color scheme is.
It's ok that you glossed over my action figure point. I'll raise it again. :mrgreen:

They have shown themselves to be tailoring some products to the US market, which kinda undermines your point.

That said, I'm not setting aside money for TM or Imperial colorways yet, but given what we are seeing, I'm saying it's not as unlikely now as it was before.

Anyhow, my original question was, aside from Mondo, has anyone replicated that color scheme on any other SpaceG figure? Did Y-MSF?

Kagutaba
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kagutaba »

Gojirasaur wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:19 amAnyhow, my original question was, aside from Mondo, has anyone replicated that color scheme on any other SpaceG figure? Did Y-MSF?
No, because the Japanese consumers have no idea what that color scheme is :lol:
Last edited by Kagutaba on Fri May 17, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I am talking SPECIFICALLY about the MMS series, because people have questioned why Bandai didn't give it a Trensmasters paint job.

Duh, I get that Bandai is obviously tailoring some products to the American market, like those ugly-ass action figures. But right now ALL MMS vinyl figures are intended for Japanese release first and foremost. Since the official American releases have all been figures that were already released in Japan with the exact same paint jobs, I don't think I anyrhing is going to change with those figures.

These retro color paint jobs are trying to mimic the look of the classic 1990s Bandais that used metallic paint, just on steroids.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I was facetiously saying that. Expecting Bandai to do extra on the paint is crazy in the first place 😉.

Also there’s a surprising amount of trendmasters figures on Japanese auctions in Japan so I’m sure it’s something that they are aware of but I wouldn’t actually expect a non-American company besides Y-MSF to run that color scheme.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

They could always call it "Noriyoshi Ohrai Poster Color ver." :P

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

{---HYPERZeTToN---} wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:37 pm
They could always call it "Noriyoshi Ohrai Poster Color ver." :P
I was about to say the same thing -- the Trendmasters colors aren't too far off the poster. I thought it was well known by now that the TM coloration was drawn from the Japanese poster? They took some liberty with the pattern by concentrating the red in a stripe, whereas in the poster it's coming from the bottom, like an unseen light source, but the red is there, it's not completely left field for Japanese fans.

f Bandai decides to expand their colorways one day, Poster SG would be a great choice, as would previously discussed non-Burning Godzilla 1995 and Brown Godzilla 54, etc. Shame they don't dig into that. I do like the Retro color series though.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HajimeKudo
Young Farmer

Post by HajimeKudo »

The funny thing is, with this color scheme Bandai is imitating that black and red bootleg SG - at least as far as the coloring of the crystals is concerned.

Gojirasaur
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirasaur »

HajimeKudo wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 pm
The funny thing is, with this color scheme Bandai is imitating that black and red bootleg SG - at least as far as the coloring of the crystals is concerned.
Speaking of boots, I'm kinda surprised a boot of MMS SG isn't available in the TM colorway. That would likely sell more than most of the off-color knockoffs out there.

Mechagigan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Mechagigan »

You really don't see many unique bootleg MMS toys. There's a Godzilla 2019 with pink spines floating around right now, and I had a cool G'84 with purple spines and silvery eyes. The majority are just normal fakes

GodzillaCustoms1985
Ronin

Post by GodzillaCustoms1985 »

Gojirasaur wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:53 pm
HajimeKudo wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 pm
Speaking of boots, I'm kinda surprised a boot of MMS SG isn't available in the TM colorway. That would likely sell more than most of the off-color knockoffs out there.
I've made & sold 3 Spacegodzilla bootlegs in the Trendmasters' colors, as well one in the black/red "variant color" set color scheme, and I can truly say how desperately SG needs a new sculpt. The lack of any articulation in the legs and that awkward wide-open mouth being the major things I would change. If Bandai made a new SG sculpt, would his tail be as long? Would he end up being tiny like Bandai's new MMS Mechagodzilla '93 figure?