Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Whoo! Season 2!

I'm not expecting it to be amazing, but I did enjoy Season 1 to an extent. So, I'll be hoping that Season 2 will be at least a little bit better.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Since s1 dealt with the aftermath of G14 and now we're on skull island I can see S2 tying into that film.

S3 I could see taking place during the mass Awakening with no Godzilla and then immediately after before Godzilla calls the Titans to sleep.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Like I said, I'm not THAT interested in Monarch: Season 2. Of course I'm still excited to watch it, but I have mixed opinions on Season 1 overall so I'm going to keep my expectations reasonable on this one
Top five favorite Monsterverse titans:

1. Godzilla
2. King Ghidorah
3. Methuselah
4. Mecha-Godzilla
5. Doug

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Who else thinks that Season 2 should be more Kong-centric? Also, maybe it could be a good chance to bring back Rodan.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

To add on I could see flash8ng back to 1973 and even 1945 to show what life was like for Marlow on Skull Island and then seeing what Monarch did after they left skull Island.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Oh question (with mild spoilers for GXK):

In Monarch LOM, they make a big deal about signals coming from the earth. There’s that alarm from that one monarch researcher that freaks everyone out. It’s not coincides with the MUTO awakening and other events.

Is this supposed to be the same thing as the signals sent up by the Iwis? Feels like something that was meant to be something major, and they were told to include, but really didn’t amount to much.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:38 am Oh question (with mild spoilers for GXK):

In Monarch LOM, they make a big deal about signals coming from the earth. There’s that alarm from that one monarch researcher that freaks everyone out. It’s not coincides with the MUTO awakening and other events.

Is this supposed to be the same thing as the signals sent up by the Iwis? Feels like something that was meant to be something major, and they were told to include, but really didn’t amount to much.
Oh, maybe? I hadn't considered that, but it could be!

Added in 2 minutes 21 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:39 am Who else thinks that Season 2 should be more Kong-centric? Also, maybe it could be a good chance to bring back Rodan.
I was thinking it would be Kong-centric, until the announcement about spin-offs. Now I'm thinking MLOM will continue with the Godzilla focus (doing what, I have no idea - maybe a flash forward to after KOTM or GvK or something?), while Kong's intro in the MLOM finale serves as set up for the Kong-centric spin-off.

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:39 am Who else thinks that Season 2 should be more Kong-centric? Also, maybe it could be a good chance to bring back Rodan.
Only if Wingard's claim of making his third film Godzilla-centric is true. ...And even then, I don't like the way he handles the character. Monarch season 1 got him 'right' for me.
What I could see happening is them doing the parallel timelines gimmick again, but between Kong and Godzilla. Ideally I'd like to see the lead-up to Skull Island's takeover and destruction for Kong, and for Godzilla...? Uh, not sure actually.

Also as the world's only Ford Brody fan a cameo would be neat.
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:40 pm Like I said, I'm not THAT interested in Monarch: Season 2. Of course I'm still excited to watch it, but I have mixed opinions on Season 1 overall so I'm going to keep my expectations reasonable on this one
Same boat. I'm sure I'll check it out, but my enthusiasm is not blasting off after how uneven season 1 was. Spinoffs, too? I'm skeptical they have enough good story for that.

Will keep an open mind, though, and look forward to hearing their plans.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I gotta say, after GXK, I do appreciate the Godzilla Vs Ion Dragon fight a little more. While still short, a bit more happens between Godzilla and the Ion Dragon and there’s a bit more added tension and plot stuff going on with the cast there.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:40 pm Like I said, I'm not THAT interested in Monarch: Season 2. Of course I'm still excited to watch it, but I have mixed opinions on Season 1 overall so I'm going to keep my expectations reasonable on this one
Same, except replace "still excited" with mildly curious.

But they have to follow other characters...the 3 "spoiled brats pretending to masquerade as adults" modern day main characters are all absolutely insufferable, especially the character of May. Thank God for Kurt Russell holding things together.

Also, why not have a few episodes that expand on Marlow / Gunpei's exploits on Skull Island? That has a lot of interesting story possibilities and something that sounded like it would make for a great film in its own right.

Rodan and King Ghidorah have been virtually ignored in all recent MV related comics/crossovers (Marvel's JL vs G vs Kong hasn't mentioned nor even hinted at either of them). Also, neither was ever acknowledge in Monarch: Legacy Season 1. Unless this supposed "rights have expired and not yet renewed with TOHO" issue gets resolved, I wouldn't get your hopes up for seeing either of them again anytime soon....not saying it isn't possible, but Legendary/WB might not feel its worth the cost of renewing their rights just for an online streaming show and may just prefer to go with their own original kaiju...er..."Titans" ( :roll: ) instead. Which is truly a shame :KingGhidorah64: :Rodan56:

Added in 3 minutes 7 seconds:
Neogeddon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:16 am
Only if Wingard's claim of making his third film Godzilla-centric is true.
Seeing "Wingard" and "3rd film" in the same sentence makes me shudder....good God, please no X_X
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:34 pm
Neogeddon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:16 am
Only if Wingard's claim of making his third film Godzilla-centric is true.
Seeing "Wingard" and "3rd film" in the same sentence makes me shudder....good God, please no X_X
Same, honestly. I'm just trying to fast-track to the "acceptance" stage since it seems pretty likely at this point :']
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:34 pm But they have to follow other characters...the 3 "spoiled brats pretending to masquerade as adults" modern day main characters are all absolutely insufferable, especially the character of May. Thank God for Kurt Russell holding things together.
The writers really did a number on those characters. In the episodes with particularly poor writing, even Kurt Russell and the other more experienced actors are only good in spite of the writing. And that's because they're particularly charismatic. The younger actors weren't so lucky.

They really need to overhaul the writing team. Get people with proven track records. Not people who just worked on a high profile show or film. But people whose previous works are solid regardless of scope.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Bumping this up to say that Rodeo FX, the company that did M:LoM, has a breakdown reel on their Youtube channel, featuring probably the clearest views yet of the Endoswarmer and the Endopede. :Megalon:

GZillaguy199
Samurai

Post by GZillaguy199 »

I thought this show was horrid honestly and felt made by people who don't have any real interest in this franchise and only piggybacked off of it due to Godzilla being a growing popular brand in hope's their CW rejected YA drama gets noticed which wouldn't have otherwise.

....im probably just gonna skip season 2 and watch the Monster clips when the Apple Tv YouTube account inevitably uploads them.

Hopefully one of those other Apple show's is a more primeval/X-files monster of the week series which is what i honestly was hoping this would be when it was first announced.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Monarch S2 begins filming this July

https://twitter.com/TVPlusUpdates/statu ... J6AaQ&s=19

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

dillonking55 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:22 pm Monarch S2 begins filming this July

https://twitter.com/TVPlusUpdates/statu ... J6AaQ&s=19
Nice! Assuming we’re getting season 2 first before any spinoff then.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I wouldn’t hold my breath until we get more news of directors and key cast members

Still crossing my fingers for a big reveal at Comic Con for upcoming projects
Top five favorite Monsterverse titans:

1. Godzilla
2. King Ghidorah
3. Methuselah
4. Mecha-Godzilla
5. Doug

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've seen the entire first season of this TV series with the help of a very good friend and I LOVED it!

The continuity is great, the story is interesting, the Titans look excellent, etc. ... Can't wait for the home video release of it and for the upcoming Season 2!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just finished the show last night and I noticed something about the final battle. Did it remind you of the finale to the original Jurassic Park?