What's Next? Future of Toho

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: What's Next? Future of Toho

Post by Angilasman »

If it is a made up rumor than it's one so plausible it may end up being true anyway. After Anno and Yamazaki this is one of those obvious candidates Toho would be looking at.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Appreciate it. Could always change and one reason I didn’t go public is that it’s possible that it could scare off Toho into doing something different.

Now all this being said….i do wonder what Yamazaki is working on. Smart money would say Star Wars but who knows for sure.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:08 pm Appreciate it. Could always change and one reason I didn’t go public is that it’s possible that it could scare off Toho into doing something different.

Now all this being said….i do wonder what Yamazaki is working on. Smart money would say Star Wars but who knows for sure.
I thought his next project was announced already? I would love to see him do Star Wars but I doubt it right now considering the state of Lucasfilm. Filoni wants to inmate George Lucas too much and Kennedy likes people that distance too far from Lucas. Maybe Yamazaki would be given Freedom.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

The rumor could be true! Almost nobody knows. As always, all I'm saying is think it through with both an open mind and some healthy skepticism. Ask what the reasons and evidence are.

Or you might get your hopes up for a "live action series announced at Godzilla Fest" like a few weeks back.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jomei wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:12 pm The rumor could be true! Almost nobody knows. As always, all I'm saying is think it through with both an open mind and some healthy skepticism. Ask what the reasons and evidence are.

Or you might get your hopes up for a "live action series announced at Godzilla Fest" like a few weeks back.
I think the majority here were prepared for nothing major at the last Godzilla event. T was places like Twitter and reddit that got over hyped because of places like Gomaru.

If we get something announced the November g fest however is much more likely.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GZillaguy199
Samurai

Post by GZillaguy199 »

So with Toho acquiring the Anime studio Science Saru, could we potentially see a new Godzilla related anime project from them?

Unlikely cope but maybe as a replacement studio for the 2D animation for Godzilla Singular Point 2 if they can't get BONES back?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Toho is the biggest media studio in Japan. Every thing they do isn't going to tie into Godzilla.

GZillaguy199
Samurai

Post by GZillaguy199 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:29 pm Toho is the biggest media studio in Japan. Every thing they do isn't going to tie into Godzilla.
Heaven forbid any speculation in the speculation thread.
Last edited by GZillaguy199 on Tue May 28, 2024 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:29 pm Toho is the biggest media studio in Japan. Every thing they do isn't going to tie into Godzilla.
I agree but I also think other than a few specific animated features Godzilla is also their biggest export, especially recently. I imagine even if new Godzilla stuff isn't produced from this, Minus One probably helped financially with this acquisition.

I'm not just excited about Godzilla anime though, I'd be interested in what Studio Saru produces under Toho. They've made a lot of quality stuff over the years.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed May 29, 2024 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A new Godzilla/kaiju anime would have to be 2D (and, y'know, good) to get me to care. I am ten kinds of done with the 3D crap we've been getting.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

So what was the reason Toho acquired them? Toho has their own animation studio. Just curious.
Last edited by Cookson on Wed May 29, 2024 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Godzilla Minus One, Part 2 (or however they call it) and more merchandising. I expect nothing more.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Cookson wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:04 am So what was the reason Toho acquired them? Toho has their own animation studio. Just curious.
Probably the same reason Disney bought Pixar more IP and more resources that can be run independently from their other animation studio.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Could Toho ever consider licensing the Godzilla IP internationally to other countries besides America? I've pondered the possibility of a South Korean studio acquiring the rights. Could They potentially do Godzilla justice?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I don't see Toho really doing that since the MonsterVerse pretty much has international reach anyway

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:52 pm I don't see Toho really doing that since the MonsterVerse pretty much has international reach anyway
Yeah, but I'm thinking long-term when (or if) the Monsterverse wraps up.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:02 pm Could Toho ever consider licensing the Godzilla IP internationally to other countries besides America? I've pondered the possibility of a South Korean studio acquiring the rights. Could They potentially do Godzilla justice?
Why would they license to South Korea when South Korea does pretty much what Toho does but with less budget.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:39 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:02 pm Could Toho ever consider licensing the Godzilla IP internationally to other countries besides America? I've pondered the possibility of a South Korean studio acquiring the rights. Could They potentially do Godzilla justice?
Why would they license to South Korea when South Korea does pretty much what Toho does but with less budget.
Less than Minus One?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Pretty much I did some looking into some Korean film budgets like The Host or Train to Busan and the former was 11 million and the latter is about 9 million so a little less than Minus One but not all that much but seriously don't see any Korean film studio wanting to acquire Godzilla much less would Toho even approach.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:02 am Pretty much I did some looking into some Korean film budgets like The Host or Train to Busan and the former was 11 million and the latter is about 9 million so a little less than Minus One but not all that much but seriously don't see any Korean film studio wanting to acquire Godzilla much less would Toho even approach.
And yet Toho's reaching out to Korea to help reboot The Human Vapour. If such a joint effort between both countries succeeds, things could change.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.