Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by edgaguirus »

When SG blew up, any crystals in the area would have been destroyed by the blast. The ones that were on the island seem to be gone as well, since we then see Little Godzilla free from his crystal cage. I wonder if the death of SG caused those crystals to weaken or be destroyed. Or maybe it's just a case of overthinking it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:23 pm When SG blew up, any crystals in the area would have been destroyed by the blast. The ones that were on the island seem to be gone as well, since we then see Little Godzilla free from his crystal cage. I wonder if the death of SG caused those crystals to weaken or be destroyed. Or maybe it's just a case of overthinking it.
They probably just shattered or something, Little would've been fried otherwise lol.

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

Watched this 3 times (subs). Didn't really get the continuity or story the first time because I had watched it out of order when I had finally gotten the DVD decades ago. Had this ranked higher the second time I watched it a few years ago, but dropped ranked after just watching it.

Worse of Heisei due to the slow pacing, cheap SFX, and lack of emotional beats.

The male characters didn't do it for me and the female ones didn't move me like in most others. Baby Godzilla being sidelined for most of the movie was a bummer. Mothra and Cosmos just being cameos sucked too. Godzilla and Space Godzilla moved too slow. MOGERA was lame. The scale perspective on Birth Island's beach wasn't good. Shore scene was too long and so much daylight on that suit made it feel cheesy, although the face was great.

Space Godzilla seemed impossible to beat, so that was a good thing but by the time we got to the finish I had to fight dozing off so the actual killshot seemed abrupt to me.

There was a forced environmental message at the end blaming humans for space pollution even though the film had stated that SG was created by either Biollante being thrown in space or Mothra carrying G-Cells.

One of the few Godzilla movies in which I did not cry.

On the plus side, Godzilla was in it a lot and he kinda turned good. Project T was a cool concept and SG was a powerful villain.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Shobijin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:11 pm Watched this 3 times (subs).

By choice? :lol: ;)

Worse of Heisei due to the slow pacing, cheap SFX, and lack of emotional beats.
Definitely the worst Heisei film...and perhaps a case could be made for worst of the series, including Showa / Millennium / Reiwa. And don't even get me started on Hattori's very cheap, direct to home video sounding score....can't stand his music.

Space Godzilla seemed impossible to beat, so that was a good thing but by the time we got to the finish I had to fight dozing off so the actual killshot seemed abrupt to me.
....and SG was a powerful villain.
Space Godzilla's greatest ability / weapon / power seems to his ability to float around and annoy / bore his opponents to death. Never once did he really have Godzilla's life truly in danger, and again, he just seemed more of a nuisance than a legit threat to Godzilla.

Again, I do not get the fascination Western G fandom has with SG as a kaiju...and for those who insist "He's a cool kaiju, but just stuck in a bad film*...I very respectively disagree.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Space Godzilla is all about potential. His concept could be ten kinds of cool if executed better, but that's not what we got. He does make a great toy, though. I love those big ice cube shoulder crystals.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I disagree about SpaceGodzilla not being threatening. I feel in some parts he's more of a threat than Destoroyah.
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

SG never did come close to killing Godzilla, but his true power lies in that he's overpowered and durable. It's like a final boss in a video game; The boss is very strong, and the only way to win is to hit the weak points and wear down its health bar. As long as SG had access to power and those shoulder crystals, it was near unstoppable.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:09 pm SG never did come close to killing Godzilla, but his true power lies in that he's overpowered and durable. It's like a final boss in a video game; The boss is very strong, and the only way to win is to hit the weak points and wear down its health bar. As long as SG had access to power and those shoulder crystals, it was near unstoppable.
That's an interesting comparison, actually. Very accurate. You can't just attack the boss directly because he has shields and is essentially indestructible. You need to think about the situation and attack the tower he gets his energy from, which then opens SG himself up to attack. Next you need to target the shoulder crystals to do critical damage. Only then can you power up your finisher weapon and kill the boss directly. I've never thought about Space Godzilla in video game terms before, and really looking at him from this angle makes him more fun and unique.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

...yeah, but he still does NOTHING to hurt or injure Godzilla, so there's no drama.

Godzilla VS Space Godzilla is just a bunch of stuff that happens.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat May 04, 2024 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

Perhaps if the fight had been one on one it mightve been different.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:09 pm SG never did come close to killing Godzilla, but his true power lies in that he's overpowered and durable. It's like a final boss in a video game; The boss is very strong, and the only way to win is to hit the weak points and wear down its health bar. As long as SG had access to power and those shoulder crystals, it was near unstoppable.
Space Godzilla and terms like "unstoppable", "over-powered", and "Final Boss" should not be mentioned in the same breath ever again...
Chaos Reincarnation wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:30 pm Perhaps if the fight had been one on one it mightve been different.

Nope.
Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:16 am ...yeah, but he still does NOTHING to hurt or injure Godzilla, so there's no drama.

Godzilla VS Space Godzilla is just a bunch of stuff that happens.
Honestly, SG does have the magical power to put his opponents to sleep...so Godzilla might die from boredom.
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Fri May 17, 2024 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:22 am Honestly, SG does have the magical power to put his opponents to sleep...so Godzilla might die from boredom.
Not just his opponents, but also the audience! This is the best argument for Space Godzilla being the strongest villain. His power is so great that it transcends the TV screen and forces the hapless victims watching into a deep and unpleasant coma. :Spacegodzilla:
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:22 am
Space Godzilla and terms like "unstoppable", "over-powered", and "Final Boss" should not be mentioned in the same breath ever again...
If you wish, I'll try not to say SG in a sentence with unstoppable, over-powered, and final boss again.

Oops.