Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm thinking the Showa MG films are next, followed by the rest of the Heisei series and then everything is up in the air.

But honestly, I think they're working on everything right now and are going to dump all of it on disc by the Fall. Hopefully not all at once, but they released 15 films on the bluray on the same day in July of 2014 so who the hell knows.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, that was my guess for this year’s output. It being a big anniversary year makes me think, if they’re not all on disc by year’s end, they’ll at least all be remastered and ready for release by that time.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

I'm certainly expecting some news as we get further into the year. But I'm not holding my breath for Megalon or '84 being released this year. Not that it couldn't happen, but it seems too soon for Toho. Though it does appear that they are seeing how well the 4ks have been doing since the KKvG release.

As far as new scans for TV this year I would say it's a good chance that we get MechaG '74 and maybe Terror of MechaG since it's a duology in some respects. And of course the first makes sense for the anniversary year. Outside of those I would absolutely love Sea Monster in 4k next. That film would look gorgeous with a new restoration. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they did Mechagodzilla '93 for the anniversary as well. Seeing as they counted that as the 40th anniversary film. But personally I could see them potentially going in order for the rest of the Heisei films as they already did the first two.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

i need a good transfer of destroyah, toho's was ugly green, alot of dark details missing i have no idea what kind of transfer they scanned it was completely different looking than the other heisei stuff. then the sony one looks way better but is quite soft
Last edited by airforce111 on Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

airforce111 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:54 pm i need a good transfer of destroyah, toho's was ugly green, alot of dark details missing i have no idea what kind of transfer they scanned it was completely different looking than the other heisei stuff. then the sony one looks way better but is quite soft
Yeah it definitely needs a new scan as well. And honestly the color grading on the Japanese bluray is just horrendous. I can't believe there were some actually people trying to say it looked better in that regard than the Sony release. I still love the Sony transfer for, but a scan of the negative would be much better. As Sony's transfer was done off of an export version it seems and that's why it might seem soft. But honestly it's one of the more filmic looking transfers of that Era on bluray before the new 4k releases.
Last edited by G-MAN on Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Schuermann
Samurai

Post by John Schuermann »

Well that was fun. I just got done creating my final "remaster" of the AIP dub for the Destroy All Monsters UHD. I had four different sources and all were quite tinny and full of pops, crackle, hum and general noise (including a persistent "ticking" sound that runs all through the middle reels of the film). I was able to take the best parts of each and drop them onto the master timeline, then clean them all up by judiciously using Izotope RX to remove as much noise as possible without creating new audible artifacts. I then EQ'd the track to get rid of the brittle "harshness" at the top and bring back in more of the middle and lower tones, using the original Japanese track as a guide as to what it was supposed to sound like. As a final step I used the Japanese audio for scenes that had no English dialogue (probably about a third of the film).

Well, I thought that was a final step, lol. As I was crossfading into the Japanese audio I noticed that the AIP dub was often about 6 frames off from the M&E (music and effects) track they used when creating the dub. For example, if I took the time to make sure the dialogue matched the lip movements as precisely as possible, most of the sound effects were now off by two to six frames. This was obvious when there was a cut between two locations - the background "environmental" bed (computer sounds, rumble, etc) would lag behind the transition. So, I then took samples of the bed track from the Japanese version and used it to fill in the gaps, just like I do when cut and pasting "room tone" for dialogue scenes in films I mix. That worked very well, and now I have a copy of the AIP dub that has almost perfect lip sync (it's amazing how good this dub is) and properly timed sound effects and environmental beds.

As a final final step, during the quieter scenes I would pull the Japanese background audio into the main track and use it in between lines of dialogue to replace the noisy artifact filled dub transfers. A good example of this is the scene where Katsuo and Yamane interrogate Dr. Otani. All versions of the AIP dub I had were filled with hiss, hum, and a persistent "ticking" sound that played through the scene. So, I subtly cleaned up the dialogue itself, then dropped it into the pristine audio of the Japanese sequence by just deleting the lines spoken in Japanese. I did the same for the autopsy scene and the sequence where Katsuo pulls off Emiko's earrings. It's all pretty damn seamless - I'm proud of it.

A lot of work, though!

For anyone interested, the primary audio sources were the original Japanese track combined with a recording August sent me years ago of a direct feed off a 16mm print of the AIP version. On occasion I pulled a line or two from the Red Menace or Media Blasters dub track, when August's version had a dropout or the like.
Last edited by John Schuermann on Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Schuermann
Samurai

Got the big boxed set of Japan Sinks / Submersion of Japan just now. Can anyone suggest a link to the best quality subtitles? Or PM me if you like.

Thanks!

Kaiju_Master
Ronin

Post by Kaiju_Master »

John Schuermann,

Could you please contact me on Discord, username: Raphdude

I got the boxed set of Japan Sinks as well and it's terrific. I have a potential English sub option, though I'm not sure if it will work.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I doubt anyone needs much more motivation to get these discs if the were already interested, but I wanted to illustrate just how packed some of these are, ESPECIALLY Godzilla VS Biollante. I don't really know Japanese so this is the best I can do when it comes to figuring out all the special features...

Announcement trailer 00:13
Early preview trailer 1 00:33
Early preview trailer 2 00:44
Early preview trailer 3 01:04
Final trailer 02:04
Export trailer 02:04
Export trailer (textless) 02:04
Commercial (?) 2:36
Constructing Biollante interview 43:26
Behind the scenes - sea attack 01:43
Behind the scenes - Osaka set 01:43
TV Spot 1A 00:18
TV Spot 2A 00:18
TV Spot 3A 00:18
TV Spot 1B 00:18
TV Spot 2B 00:18
Burning Biollante camera roll 06:11
The Making of Godzilla vs Biollante 48:59
Godzilla vs All Monsters TV special 1:05:40
Posters/narration (?) 05:59
Biollante Maquette 1 00:41
Biollante Maquette 2 00:46
Biollante Maquette 3 00:36
Super X2 Maquette 01:01

That's something in the neighborhood of almost three hours of content. The making of documentary (which, true, was on the Echo Bridge disc) and the hour long special are the true highlights, and give you a great glimpse behind the scenes of the making of this film.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

co.rn
Young Farmer

Post by co.rn »

airforce111 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:46 am
Kaiju_Master wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:38 am "Know where I can find these files? Yo ho, Yo ho..."

Ditto, pretty please!:)
im not able to pm newbies. discord or email
my discord is co(dot)rn if you could get to me i would really love to see these copies compared to my collection as well..! Thank you

Nickynickreviews
Young Farmer

Post by Nickynickreviews »

airforce111 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:46 am
Kaiju_Master wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:38 am "Know where I can find these files? Yo ho, Yo ho..."

Ditto, pretty please!:)
im not able to pm newbies. discord or email
Hi, my discord is nickynickreviews. Please contact me when you can I would love to see the 4k of Biollante. Thank you

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

i didnt do biollante (also that one is out on 4k bluray in japan to buy)

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

GodzFire wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:32 am Could someone here please help out a 30 year G fan and 12+ year forum member whose lapsed the past 5-10 years, especially after the disaster that was The Criterion Collection release.....

Where can one find these links for discords and such to be able to view these new overseas releases? A PM or what not would be kindly appreciated.
The Internet Archive actually has rips of all the seven 4K blu-rays available to download (both in MP4 and MKV format), and they even have English subtitle files included!

I don't have the actual 4K discs to compare to, so I'm not sure if there's any significant compression, but the quality is absolutely better than the Criterion Collection. Being able to watch with English subtitles is also a fantastic bonus!
Last edited by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 on Fri May 17, 2024 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Of course the copies on The Internet Archive are downscales. The actual disc versions look even better.

There's a Japanese YouTuber who has been ripping the extra features from the discs and uploading them there. I'll have to see if I can find those.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:36 am Of course the copies on The Internet Archive are downscales. The actual disc versions look even better.
In the online movie scene downloads titled "remux" are untouched rips, so not downscales. At most someone might choose to remove an extra audio track to save space, for example if there is a 5.1 and 2.0 audio track they might remove the 2.0 if there are negligible differences between the two. But the video track is left untouched.

Downloads labelled "encoded" are usually compressed but are not necessarily downscaled either.

This is speaking hypothetically of course as I'm not sure of the rules about whatever link may or may not have been posted in this thread.

thegreengargantua
Young Farmer

Post by thegreengargantua »

I decided to try out one of those Internet Archive files to see how good these 4K remasters look. Unfortunately my LG OLED won't play the file, presumably because it's SDR BT.2020 colour space. Is there any way around this?

John Schuermann
Samurai

I would think an LG OLED would handle that color space just fine. It's probably that the video codec is not supported.

Suggest picking up an Nvidia Shield and loading Kodi as your playback app.

thegreengargantua
Young Farmer

Post by thegreengargantua »

John Schuermann appears to be correct! It's only Mothra vs. Godzilla that isn't playing and it's the only one with a 264 codec. All the others are 265.
Last edited by thegreengargantua on Tue May 28, 2024 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomjoad2020ad
Young Farmer

Post by tomjoad2020ad »

Recently managed to see the 4K UHD of Godzilla vs. Hedorah and wow! What a revelation, I never though I'd see it looking so good.

One thing stood out to me, though -- throughout the movie, there's this subtle "force field" of smudges against the background surrounding the monsters, which seem conspicuously to me like primitive wire removal of the sort that's visible throughout the Heisei films. I know some of the movies had that sort of thing dropped into them in the DVD era if I'm not mistaken. But my sense would have been that because these 4K remasters were going back to the OCNs, anything like that should be gone, and that a modern remaster that's attempting to be an archival-grade representation of these films wouldn't do something like that.

So what's the deal? What am I actually seeing there?