Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 am Well, this movie built the bridge between the Godzilla and Gamera universe. Because I believe that Yukijiro Hotaru´s character is supposed to be the same like in the Gamera Heisei trillogy. His name was never mentioned in GMK and it would have been a genius move by Shusuke Kaneko.
If you're saying this movie takes place in the same universe then no, not at all. But if you mean it's kind of like "the same character just in a different universe" then yea I can totally see that.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Chaos Reincarnation wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:55 pm
Gailah 1966 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 am Well, this movie built the bridge between the Godzilla and Gamera universe. Because I believe that Yukijiro Hotaru´s character is supposed to be the same like in the Gamera Heisei trillogy. His name was never mentioned in GMK and it would have been a genius move by Shusuke Kaneko.
If you're saying this movie takes place in the same universe then no, not at all. But if you mean it's kind of like "the same character just in a different universe" then yea I can totally see that.
Remeber, Godzilla was 60 meters tall in GMK, exactly like Gamera. Kaneko wanted to build this bridge for a crossover. ;)
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Gailah 1966 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:41 am
Chaos Reincarnation wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:55 pm
Remeber, Godzilla was 60 meters tall in GMK, exactly like Gamera. Kaneko wanted to build this bridge for a crossover. ;)
I would think someone would've mentioned the hoard of gyaos that attacked the world just 2 years before.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And Gamera's sacrifice, if we include G4.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Wed May 15, 2024 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

The reach is long enough, I don't think we can include fan projects.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's very easy to see GMK as a spiritual successor to the Heisei Gamera series, but nothing more. You can see Kaneko continue the same religious theming and focus on characters that were in Gamera 3.

Chaos Reincarnation is right, it's already too much of a stretch, but even think about the opening scene and general tone of the first third of the film: The Japanese government is shocked by the possible reappearance of Godzilla, or another monster. We know thanks to uncovered drafts (that are supported by direct statements in the final version) that GMK actually takes place/is a very loose sequel to 1998 (hah!). If monsters did attack Japan between 1995 and 1999 you know they'd be bringing that up instead of something that happened far and away in America. Sapporo is gone, Shibuya and Kyoto were destroyed.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.