Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

Post by Follinollante »

I have to disagree with you on the first point. Minilla has this perpetual look on his face like he just shat himself in front of a large group of people.

The puppets, though, are indeed amazing, with my only complaint being that, they being puppets, any downward-directed blows don't have any force behind them, so it makes them feel a little weak or halfhearted.
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.
Let's go back to just watching and enjoying monster movies.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I find it weird that people still dump on this Godzilla suit. The monster has had so many different looks over the past 20 years that at this point I'm just numb to how it looks. Personally, I think he looks fine.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:54 am I find it weird that people still dump on this Godzilla suit. The monster has had so many different looks over the past 20 years that at this point I'm just numb to how it looks. Personally, I think he looks fine.
I agree. It's my second least favorite Showa suit after 55, but I don't get the vitriol against it. I think the look of the 67 suit captures the "beleaguered parent" vibes they were going for. At this point, the only Godzilla design that I actively dislike is Ultima.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

People have such weird preconceived notions of what Godzilla should be that they totally miss the forest for the trees with the intent of this suit. Like you said: beleaguered parent. If this Godzilla had a voice he'd sound like Papa Bear from Chuck Jones' Three Bears cartoons. "SHADDUP JUNIOR!!"

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

I mean, I forgot about the suit's looks by the middle of the movie; it's just that the first few times we see him he vaguely resembles a fish suffering in its last moments, which kind of makes it hard to take seriously.
KKvG's suit is another example of this sort of problem; in certain situations/angles the suit looks good, and other times it just doesn't. In the end, though, I guess it's all just complaining when you boil it down.
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.
Let's go back to just watching and enjoying monster movies.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Here's a question:

I've seen a lot of people cite the Kumonga and Kamacuras props as "some of Tsubaraya's best", both in terms of how they look and the puppetry used to move them. Because of this, I just sort of assumed that Tsubaraya was the special effects director, but turns out that's not the case.

This guy is:
https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Sadamasa_Arikawa

I believe this guy was a close worker/partner of Tsuburaya, but it seems unfair to not give him proper awknoledgement.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

He's called Teisho Arikawa on this site. He's also listed as director of special effects for SOG.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:11 pm He's called Teisho Arikawa on this site. He's also listed as director of special effects for SOG.
In either case, what his actual name is, that confirms it's a bit strange people keep erronously giving credit to Tsubaraya. Now, Tsubaraya is credited for some SFX stuff, but it reads more like he came in a few times and gave advice versus his involvement in earlier works.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Silliest reason to be excited and revive this topic.
So I'm heading out of Fred Meyer, west coast department chain. Going past the entertainment/electronics and on their biggest tv isn't the usual new release like Dune Part II but this one. It was at the part Godzilla was smashing up camp and the Kamacuras were abusing Minya.
I was in a rush but asked one worker who picked what played on that tv, it was whoever opened but we were both like 'yeah it's surprising alright.'
An old Godzilla movie playing out in the wild!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Not all heroes wear capes.

On a side note, I was just thinking that it's interesting that this movie came out in the same year as Gappa. Obviously there are certain similarities, with the plots revolving around the relationship between parent and child kaiju, and both end on huggy, heartwarming notes. Both feature kaiju eggs found on remote islands, and out-of-control science causing problems with the monsters. Coincidence? Or did Gappa provide some inspiration for SoG eight months later? Given how quickly these movies were shotgunned out back then, that seems like a plausible timeframe.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Remember that Gappa is clearly based on Gorgo. Meanwhile 1967 was the peak year of the monster boom, with 5 different daikaiju films being released from 4 major studios. It was all probably just a big coincidence considering the volume of studio output.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There have been several movies with Son of titles, from Dracula to Frankenstein to Kong. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with Godzilla getting a child, or someone at Toho thought a young Godzilla would get more kids to watch the movie.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

An invisible man can rule the world. Nobody will see him come; Nobody will see him go. He can hear every secret. He can rob, wreck and kill.

Chaos Reincarnation
Interpol Agent

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:46 pm There have been several movies with Son of titles, from Dracula to Frankenstein to Kong. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with Godzilla getting a child, or someone at Toho thought a young Godzilla would get more kids to watch the movie.
Those movies...or more so their titles were more just the inspiration for the movies american name. You're dead on with Minya being designed as kids sort of self insert. This ideas further expanded on in All Monsters Attack.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:49 am Not all heroes wear capes.

On a side note, I was just thinking that it's interesting that this movie came out in the same year as Gappa. Obviously there are certain similarities, with the plots revolving around the relationship between parent and child kaiju, and both end on huggy, heartwarming notes. Both feature kaiju eggs found on remote islands, and out-of-control science causing problems with the monsters. Coincidence? Or did Gappa provide some inspiration for SoG eight months later? Given how quickly these movies were shotgunned out back then, that seems like a plausible timeframe.
Oh, I hadn't noticed that! But yeah, it was probably just a coincidence considering from what I recall Son of Godzilla is the scaled down version of Two Godzillas: Japan S.O.S., the project they were looking to follow up Invasion of Astro Monster with before Operation Robinson Crusoe was retooled from a Kong movie to a Godzilla movie. So, in a world where Kong got to fight Ebirah we would've gotten Son of Godzilla (or some version of it at least) in 1966 rather than 1967.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While there's superficial similarities between Son of Godzilla and Gappa, it really ends beyond some simple plot framing. Son of Godzilla is about Godzilla accepting Minilla as a son, Minilla growing up, and scientists enduring a hellish island filled with monsters and danger. Gappa has a child monster, but the parents instinctually love Baby Gappa who is helpless and basically a damsel.

I can see that it's part of a larger trend of monster parents, but I don't think Gappa is the primary cause. I imagine something like Gorgo or Mothra, as well as the market towards children+Ultraman being more of an influence.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed May 15, 2024 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Considering how popular Mothra and Ultraman are, I'd agree.