Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Post Reply
User avatar
LegendZilla
Sazer
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LegendZilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:21 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:06 pm At this rate, we'll be lucky if it beaks $50 million worldwide.
My man it already did.
Do you have a source to back up your claim?

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 17685
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:21 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:06 pm At this rate, we'll be lucky if it beaks $50 million worldwide.
My man it already did.
Do you have a source to back up your claim?
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt23289160/
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Sazer
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:26 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:21 pm
My man it already did.
Do you have a source to back up your claim?
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt23289160/
I'm guessing all those numbers added up equal roughly $50 million?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser
Posts: 15715
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by Legion1979 »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:12 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:24 pm
Angilasman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:23 pm ^ Ooh, I think the 'last two went to TV' factoid is something I read when I was a teenager. Maybe Ryfle's book or the all-DAM issue of G-Fan?
It's true, no debating that.
I mean the connection between the fact and Toho's reasoning for thinking interest was cooling.

... of course, the deal with Walter Reade might've happened earlier than we know? Perhaps the UPA coproduction not panning out was pretty important here, and maybe AIP was disinterested in acquiring their stuff for a few years?
Back then everything just went to whoever wanted them. Seemed pretty first come first serve. And Walter Reade Sterling had released Ghidrah the Three-Headed Mobster to theaters in 1965, so I'm sure for all Toho knew the other films were getting theatrical releases as well.

But your comment about UPA not panning out is an interesting one. Frankenstein Conquers the World was released here pretty quickly in 1966 but for some reason MZ and Gargantuas had to wait until til 1970.

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
Futurian
Posts: 3479
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by gottatalktothefake »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:28 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:26 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 pm

Do you have a source to back up your claim?
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt23289160/
I'm guessing all those numbers added up equal roughly $50 million?
It says 51 million right on the page
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

User avatar
LegendZilla
Sazer
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LegendZilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:31 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:28 pm
I'm guessing all those numbers added up equal roughly $50 million?
It says 51 million right on the page
Okay? But I'm not sure if it will break $100 million.

User avatar
Cookson
Futurian
Posts: 3695
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by Cookson »

Lol…

Once international totals are added in Tuesday or Wednesday it should be at around 54m
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 13968
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:34 pm Okay? But I'm not sure if it will break $100 million.
What are you talking about?

The film has crossed 50 million USD. That's a lot for a Japanese production. I think 60 million is very likely at this point. IF we are very lucky, 60-70 million is a possibility. In any case it's catching up/on par with Shin at this point. This week (both in the US and Japan), as well as it's release in other territories are the other things to look at.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
Cookson
Futurian
Posts: 3695
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by Cookson »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:39 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:34 pm Okay? But I'm not sure if it will break $100 million.
What are you talking about?

The film has crossed 50 million USD. That's a lot for a Japanese production. I think 60 million is very likely at this point. IF we are very lucky, 60-70 million is a possibility. In any case it's catching up/on par with Shin at this point. This week (both in the US and Japan), as well as it's release in other territories are the other things to look at.
I think this can get to 40m in the United States. If it can get to 34m in Japan that’s 74m worldwide. With the other countries totals this should get very close to beating Shin Godzilla’s total(around 80m).
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
Futurian
Posts: 3479
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by gottatalktothefake »

>this won’t break 50
>it already has
>so? It won’t break 100
What the hell is this conversation
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

User avatar
Angilasman
G-Grasper
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by Angilasman »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:30 pm Back then everything just went to whoever wanted them. Seemed pretty first come first serve. And Walter Reade Sterling had released Ghidrah the Three-Headed Mobster to theaters in 1965, so I'm sure for all Toho knew the other films were getting theatrical releases as well.

But your comment about UPA not panning out is an interesting one. Frankenstein Conquers the World was released here pretty quickly in 1966 but for some reason MZ and Gargantuas had to wait until til 1970.
Saperstein coproduced Frankenstein and released it via AIP then something happened and the two coproductions Saperstein had a hand in produced the following year sat on a shelf for a few years before being released as a double feature via Maron Films. I wonder if something soured between AIP and Saperstein, and by extension Toho, before they warmed back up to Toho in the late '60s?

I'm spitballing, here!

User avatar
Showa Gyaos
Keizer
Posts: 8736
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: West Virginia

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The hold for its US box office is astounding. The people who predicted that this film could take advantage of an otherwise quiet December were on the mark.

Saw it again today around 4 PM. The theater was almost fully packed. The holds are strong because piqued interest is turning into $$$.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

User avatar
zukzilla
Monsterland Worker
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:30 am

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by zukzilla »

Showa Gyaos wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:14 pm The hold for its US box office is astounding. The people who predicted that this film could take advantage of an otherwise quiet December were on the mark.

Saw it again today around 4 PM. The theater was almost fully packed. The holds are strong because piqued interest is turning into $$$.
People crave good movie and this year films were a bit lackluster.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Sazer
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LegendZilla »

^Based on how much it's made in both North America and Japan so far, how much more could it make if released in the UK, Australia and New Zealand?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 13968
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 pm ^Based on how much it's made in both North America and Japan so far, how much more could it make if released in the UK, Australia and New Zealand?
It already was released in New Zealand and Australia. Made about 200,000 in Australia.
Likewise, Godzilla -1.0 will have a short release in the UK, Spain, Ireland, and South Africa at the end of this week.

Please consult here:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23289160/releaseinfo/

That's not surprising, much shorter of a release in those places.

I imagine UK can rack up a million or two.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
LegendZilla
Sazer
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:07 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 pm ^Based on how much it's made in both North America and Japan so far, how much more could it make if released in the UK, Australia and New Zealand?
It already was released in New Zealand and Australia. Made about 200,000 in Australia.
Likewise, Godzilla -1.0 will have a short release in the UK, Spain, Ireland, and South Africa at the end of this week.

Please consult here:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23289160/releaseinfo/

That's not surprising, much shorter of a release in those places.

I imagine UK can rack up a million or two.
What do you predict it will make in the end?

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 13968
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:57 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:07 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 pm ^Based on how much it's made in both North America and Japan so far, how much more could it make if released in the UK, Australia and New Zealand?
It already was released in New Zealand and Australia. Made about 200,000 in Australia.
Likewise, Godzilla -1.0 will have a short release in the UK, Spain, Ireland, and South Africa at the end of this week.

Please consult here:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23289160/releaseinfo/

That's not surprising, much shorter of a release in those places.

I imagine UK can rack up a million or two.
What do you predict it will make in the end?
Hmm, fun game to play at this point.
70 Million USD worldwide by the end of its run, which would make it Toho's Godzilla's hit if yen conversion is accounted for. In terms of yen (converting worldwide totals), -1.0 will/should actually surpass Shin this week.

Toho has had two films in a row that have been critical and commercial hits. I have a feeling that the Reiwa era really is just only starting. :Mothra61:

The Boy and the Heron is doing well, also a movie I want to see. Wonder if people will make a double feature out of it and -1.0.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
Kaijucifer
G-Grasper
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by Kaijucifer »

Cookson wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:44 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:39 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:34 pm Okay? But I'm not sure if it will break $100 million.
What are you talking about?

The film has crossed 50 million USD. That's a lot for a Japanese production. I think 60 million is very likely at this point. IF we are very lucky, 60-70 million is a possibility. In any case it's catching up/on par with Shin at this point. This week (both in the US and Japan), as well as it's release in other territories are the other things to look at.
I think this can get to 40m in the United States. If it can get to 34m in Japan that’s 74m worldwide. With the other countries totals this should get very close to beating Shin Godzilla’s total(around 80m).
Considering shin was a fluke's fluke of success, Ive already written it off as this movie has already vastly overperformed and I've pretty much seen more interest and people seeing this movie than Shin ever did. Sometimes I wonder if Shin was actually as successful as they say because wow this seems to be a MUCH bigger deal overall. Considering how SHIT yen is at the moment, I would be unsurprised if it actually has outperformed Shin overall by the end of its run world wide.

Added in 3 minutes 36 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:03 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:57 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:07 pm
It already was released in New Zealand and Australia. Made about 200,000 in Australia.
Likewise, Godzilla -1.0 will have a short release in the UK, Spain, Ireland, and South Africa at the end of this week.

Please consult here:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23289160/releaseinfo/

That's not surprising, much shorter of a release in those places.

I imagine UK can rack up a million or two.
What do you predict it will make in the end?
Hmm, fun game to play at this point.
70 Million USD worldwide by the end of its run, which would make it Toho's Godzilla's hit if yen conversion is accounted for. In terms of yen (converting worldwide totals), -1.0 will/should actually surpass Shin this week.

Toho has had two films in a row that have been critical and commercial hits. I have a feeling that the Reiwa era really is just only starting. :Mothra61:

The Boy and the Heron is doing well, also a movie I want to see. Wonder if people will make a double feature out of it and -1.0.
Image
Last edited by Kaijucifer on Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
Image
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

User avatar
Angilasman
G-Grasper
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by Angilasman »

I'm not sure if it was more strategy or luck, but Godzilla and The Boy and the Heron choosing this few weeks with no major studio releases to essentially capture the buzz and become sleeper hits was a masterstroke.

User avatar
MrRockett
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by MrRockett »

I need to go see this. I'm glad it held number 3 and appears to have made better numbers based on WOM>
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Post Reply