IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by kaijukurt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Out of all the monsters, Kumonga is the one that has been around the longest that really hasn't had a proper story developed with it. In HGM, Kumonga got some play very early on, but since then has really been shafted. Any time it's appeared it's been a complete jobber and the stories really don't need it specifically. I hope Kumonga can get some redemption in the future.
Now I'm reminded of the ROE #18 solicitation that teased a Battra-Kumonga fight!
Last edited by kaijukurt on Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

I was taking a look at comicsartfan, and the following images appeared.
The artist who designed it was Alex Sanchez. I don't know if he was there to draw Mark Martinez's version, or this was a rejected comic pitch by him.
The art is better than Mark Martinez, but it looks like he used images as references or traced some.
Godzilla Rivals vs Mechagodzilla comes out this Wednesday, unless it's postponed until later.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ryu wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:40 am I was taking a look at comicsartfan, and the following images appeared.
The artist who designed it was Alex Sanchez. I don't know if he was there to draw Mark Martinez's version, or this was a rejected comic pitch by him.
The art is better than Mark Martinez, but it looks like he used images as references or traced some.
Godzilla Rivals vs Mechagodzilla comes out this Wednesday, unless it's postponed until later.
Art is cool, but yeah that Orga pose is familiar. Neat to see Orga, even if it's only a cameo.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Hmmm... On the wall of screens, second from the top left. Is that Monster X?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:57 pm Hmmm... On the wall of screens, second from the top left. Is that Monster X?
Yeah. Looks like:
King Ghidorah
Hedorah
Orga
Monster X
Gigan
Mothra Larva(?)

Most likely these are just cameos. These are the monsters Kiryu/MG is built to defeat.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:00 pm
MC_Lovecraft wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:57 pm Hmmm... On the wall of screens, second from the top left. Is that Monster X?
Yeah. Looks like:
King Ghidorah
Hedorah
Orga
Monster X
Gigan
Mothra Larva(?)

Most likely these are just cameos. These are the monsters Kiryu/MG is built to defeat.
Ah. That'd a bit disappointing, X doesn't get many appearances. :shrug: I think I see Megaguirus too, on the bottom right.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Ryu wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:40 am I was taking a look at comicsartfan, and the following images appeared.
All these panels appear in Rivals VS: MechaGodzilla, which has some of the most inconsistent artwork I've ever seen in a G book (some panels look nice, while others look like dog shit. You can tell two artists work on it, and unlike Zornow/Frank's work on ROE, Huset and Sanchez's styles do not gel well at all).

Anyways, not sure if this is an "IDW" book or not, as it's listed under the IDW category on Kaijubattle.net and has art from Frank's work from ROE, yet is listed by Titan Books.
https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzilla-id ... s/11-2023 Image
Godzilla: The Official Coloring Book
Rampage across the globe with the ‘King of the Monsters’ in this official Godzilla coloring book, featuring original and comic book artwork.

Pencils in hand, join the unstoppable force of nature that is Godzilla and wreak destruction around the world in this official coloring book.

Originally debuting in 1954, Godzilla has become an international icon and one of the most instantly recognizable characters in the world. In this official coloring book you will rampage through cities and battle rival kaiju, such as Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. Godzilla: The Official Coloring Book showcases exciting artwork and never-before-seen illustrations, ready for you to put your spin on.

Perfect for fans of monsters and Japanese culture, Godzilla: The Official Coloring Book will allow you to stretch your creative fingers and enjoy the King of the Monsters as you’ve never seen him before.

​Retail price: $15.99 US
On sale Mar 12, 2024
64 Pages
Available from comic and book stores.
Nothing too riveting/ground-breaking, but for those looking for a nice G coloring book, here's your chance I guess...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:17 am
Nothing too riveting/ground-breaking, but for those looking for a nice G coloring book, here's your chance I guess...
I’m happy they’re making this honestly. For years I’ve seen bootleg coloring books of Godzilla characters being sold on Amazon. While this won’t entirely stop that, it’ll help curb that when people recognize they can get an official, and most likely high quality version of a coloring book.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

GODZILLA RIVALS: MOTHRA VS. M.O.G.U.E.R.A.
Mothra is a great protector and friend to humanity, but not everyone believes the monster is always going to be on our side. When an anti-kaiju group controlling the powerful robotic Mechagodzilla and M.O.G.U.E.R.A. attacks Mothra's home, it's up to a few brave souls, an injured Mothra, and a little extra robotic help to save the day!
I believe it was some time ago in this very thread that I proposed the idea of terrorists stealing one of the mechs and sending another mech to fight it. This isn't quite the same thing, but kinda close, so I'm pretty happy. :)

Singular Point wasn't my favorite thing in the world but it was truly a godsend for Jet Jaguar fans like myself. I love all the attention he's been getting, from merch to comics and more.

Additional solicitations can be found here, though it's just for the next "best of". Honestly surprised Anguirus wasn't next. War for Humanity #4 is also relisted now for a second time because it got delayed so much. :lol:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/last-ro ... -solicits/

Last edited by Shenanigans on Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoKelley86
Samurai

Post by GoKelley86 »

Stuff like a coloring book is the kind of thing I'd have killed for as a kid.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Very happy to see Moguera again. Winston Chan, the main artist, is a very solid and consistent artist, who has a lot of experience from some of IDW’s Transformers series. He’s got a lot of experience through drawing both mechs and monsters it seems, so art and action should be stellar.

Still, the inclusion of MG has me worried. It seems like the issue will be a tag team fight between Mg, Mougera, Mothra and JJ? I hope Mougera gets enough of the main spotlight. This is Mothra’s fourth Rivals appearance lol.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The cover of Rivals: Round Three has been revealed. In addition to featuring some positively gorgeous art from EJ Su as always, it also features an unexpected monster on the cover who isn't in those four issues - at least, not that we know of yet. Either this cover is spoiling a surprise inclusion in one of the next two issues, or poor Mr. Su was once again misled on what issues would be featured in this trade (it wouldn't be the first time) and this monster is set to headline a future issue of the series. I have no idea, though this is absolutely a monster I want to headline his own issue.

Just in case you don't want to be spoiled, you can find the cover here:

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Godzilla_Rivals

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:06 pm The cover of Rivals: Round Three has been revealed. In addition to featuring some positively gorgeous art from EJ Su as always, it also features an unexpected monster on the cover who isn't in those four issues - at least, not that we know of yet. Either this cover is spoiling a surprise inclusion in one of the next two issues, or poor Mr. Su was once again misled on what issues would be featured in this trade (it wouldn't be the first time) and this monster is set to headline a future issue of the series. I have no idea, though this is absolutely a monster I want to headline his own issue.

Just in case you don't want to be spoiled, you can find the cover here:

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Godzilla_Rivals
That's pretty funny. I do wonder if they'll do a "round four" of Rivals. Seemed like they shifted to interesting one-offs and full length graphic novels like the V-Day Special and the Summer Camp adventure.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

MOGUERA is actually one of my personal favorites, so really excited for this Rivals entry.

And interesting possible future monster choice for Round 3!
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Ryu wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:40 am Image
Fun fact – that tiny little Orga there? That is only his second *full* appearance in a comic. He was technically in two issues of ROE but spent one of those issues as exploded Orga meat, so this really is only the second issue to feature the full monster - but only for a single panel. Can't fault ROE in any way for not doing more with him (I'm still so impressed that, for a series that featured some 30+ monsters, they managed to give nearly all of them a moment in the spotlight, including Orga), but it does surprise me a little that he hasn’t popped up in any other series, especially with so many comics featuring aliens in recent years. He’s probably the most underutilized monster in IDW’s roster next to Kamoebas.

On another note, as of this posting, Godzilla Rivals: Megalon vs. Jet Jaguar, Godzilla: War for Humanity #3, and Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #3 are all set for release on December 20th. Insane to have so many comics releasing on the same day!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Up until that cameo, Orga has had less actual appearances than… Gabara and Oodako. It’s funny because Orga used to be a “super boss” of the franchise; he got star treatment in the pipe works game as a secret character and brute. Only in recent years has Orga fallen into weird obscurity.

Happy to hear there’s three comics release on the same day. For the first time I’ll be able to pick them up physically too! Time to buy some English trades for myself as well!

GoKelley86
Samurai

Post by GoKelley86 »

Continuing along with my IDW Catch Up:

I've read Godzilla: Ongoing which I really enjoyed. I'm pretty sure it was intentional that Boxer was based on Jason Statham and that made it feel like I was experiencing one of his movies but with monsters in it. Cool.

I also read all of the Monsters and Protectors series...this I did not care for. Maybe I'm just an old man, but using v-logging as a framing device felt like a desperate attempt to be hip and kind of cut the dramatic tension considerably (would he really be that upbeat in his webshow if any of his friends died from the experience?). M&P almost felt like I was watching a Nickelodeon or Disney Channel version of a Godzilla story, and that didn't really do it for me. There are some cool moments with the monsters, but those are few and far between.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Forgot to post last week's haul; probably my best for one day, haha.

Quick thoughts on the two most recent IDW comics:

Godzilla Rivals: Jet Jaguar vs. Megalon - Honestly, I was really into this one. I like the comics that have, or at least try to have, a little more "depth" to them and provide a bit more than pure action (which can be very good, but can also get repetitive). So I liked giving focus to a protagonist who was having some serious mental health struggles and trying to find her place in the world. Plus there was probably more action than any one-shot's given us (especially since many comics of this title have dropped the ball with their titular fights), though ironically it was almost a little too much. Indeed, I would've liked a little more focus on our protagonist and maybe even see her getting more help proper at the end, but even so, a pretty strong issue in my eyes. Certainly a massive step above the last one, though that was a low bar to clear...

Godzilla: War for Humanity #3 - This series continues to cement itself as one of the best Godzilla comic series not just of the last few years, but of all IDW's comics. No doubt. Every issue is so much fun. The characters are so zany, the art is so detailed and wonderfully stylized, the comedy is on-point, the monster selection is truly inspired (giving Gorosaurus and Manda starring roles!). I could go on and on, it's so wonderfully weird and silly. I just wish the release schedule was more consistent, and I hate that the fifth issue is 4 months out... But I guess Jake Smith's art takes time. (As an aside, I thoroughly enjoyed "Super MOGUERA". Ridiculously 90's/Trendmasters-style. It's rad that IDW can now give new forms to preexisting Toho characters, that would've been a huge no-no not so long ago. The times are a-changin'.)

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

New 100-page comic one-shot! Godzilla: 70th Anniversary!

https://godzilla.com/blogs/news/godzill ... publishing
Celebrating 70 years of Godzilla! Since 1954, Godzilla has been King of the Monsters, and what better way to celebrate than with a gigantic anthology of tales that get to the heart of Godzilla’s lasting popularity! From the American Old West to modern Tokyo and beyond, this collection features stories of the King of the Monsters fighting with its allies like Mothra, against old enemies like the terrible Mechagodzilla, and reshaping the lives of all who fall in its path!
Godzilla: 70th Anniversary will consist of nine original stories by creators including Joëlle Jones (Catwoman), Michael W. Conrad (Wonder Woman), Matt Frank (Godzilla: Rulers of Earth), James Stokoe (Godzilla: The Half-Century War), Adam Gorham (Ms. Marvel: The New Mutant), Dan DiDio (Metal Men), and more.
Slowly but surely getting more Stokoe Godzilla content, haha - first a JLxGxK cover, now a few pages. Not to mention Matt Frank and Jeff Zornow, even if the latter is only for a cover. That 70's era cover is sick too. Lots to love here. Loving all these one-shots and whatnot.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Whoa, that looks cool! It looks like for this they've got their a-game talent! Frank and Stokoe are reliable heavy hitters and the others as well! All of those covers are gorgeous as well. I have a feeling, at least compared to Rivals, a lot more stringent choices in artists were made. What's really exciting is that this is reminding me of an American version of "The Godzilla Comic" where a bunch of artists, Godzilla fans and otherwise, made a big collection of varied content.

But, 9 one-shots in 100 pages? That's 11 pages per story if they're all equal length. But, I assume there will be some longer ones (15-20 pages) and some that are like 4-8 pages. Cool idea.