Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Post Reply
User avatar
HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5823
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I wonder what the odds are that Serizawa eventually makes an appearance in this show. Even if it's like a younger version of him. I would really like to see how his obsession with and adoration for Godzilla began. He's clearly not completely on the same page with the rest of Monarch. He's an enigma.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 13978
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:42 pm I wonder what the odds are that Serizawa eventually makes an appearance in this show. Even if it's like a younger version of him. I would really like to see how his obsession with and adoration for Godzilla began. He's clearly not completely on the same page with the rest of Monarch. He's an enigma.
Some random Asian guy young intern will bump into Shaw with some documents and or another object. The object will inadvertently give Shaw a piece of the puzzle via inspiration. Shaw will thank the guy, embarrassed he doesn’t know his and he’ll say,”it’s serizawa”. Fade away.

Sarcasm aside, Shaw is clearly an important part of monarch, and they do need to address why he’s basically locked up. Surprise villain reveal? Shaw finding Hiroshi is not a good thing.something something, Shaw is chasing after Cate and Kentaro and they hold a McGuffin, something something he’s telling them they’re better off helping/joining him, something something their father dramatically appears and saves the day, before once again Shaw gets the upper hand before Godzilla or some other monster squashes him like a bug.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5823
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

lol I honestly hope Shaw is not a villain. It's possible. There's some sort of mystery to his character. I'd just like him to stay on good terms with our main characters.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 13978
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

“These people, Monarch, the never cared about you. They were just about to lock you up and throw away the key like they did with me. This world, it doesn’t care about you either. Your father, well, I don’t need to say much more about him, right?”
“You’re wrong!”
“Wrong, right doesn’t matter. I’ve seen this world for what it is, been pushed around by militaries and monarch all my life, just to be betrayed by the woman I love. Might as well join me before you’re too late!”
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
Gojira2K
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2428
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:09 pm “These people, Monarch, the never cared about you. They were just about to lock you up and throw away the key like they did with me. This world, it doesn’t care about you either. Your father, well, I don’t need to say much more about him, right?”
“You’re wrong!”
“Wrong, right doesn’t matter. I’ve seen this world for what it is, been pushed around by militaries and monarch all my life, just to be betrayed by the woman I love. Might as well join me before you’re too late!”
I could actually see this happening too. Though I hope not. It would be more interesting for Shaw to be good, but we shall see.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

User avatar
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:40 pm Everyone talks about Lee not looking his age... But let's remember Randa in 1970s looked like he was in his 70s/80s when he would have only been in his 50s or so.
Using the actor's ages here, it's not exactly that bad. John Goodman is 71, but he was 65 when Kong: Skull Island was released. I'd say he looks his age, but losing a lot of weight (he did a great job) unfortunately means his face isn't as full. Randa could've been in his late 30s to early 40s at the earliest we see the character (Anders Holm is 42), and it gets much closer to looking... okay. Still off by about a decade, but much closer.
MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:25 pm Well, sure, but this is a discussion thread, for the discussing of opinions, and so far, you've been espousing an opinion that isn't just in the minority here but seems downright disapprovingly moralistic to some of us. To go with a version of your own argument, there are more on this entire forum and in the audience who wouldn't give a damn what two consenting adults do. If you don't think you'll get responses, I'm not sure what to tell you.
I don't care about majority opinions, man. A discussion isn't meant to merely be an echo chamber. Half of you just make fun of/attempt to trivialize opinions you disagree with, not my fault other users aren't mature enough to handle opinions contrary to their own. That's probably why it's a "minority" opinion on here.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

User avatar
MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:30 am

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:55 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:40 pm Everyone talks about Lee not looking his age... But let's remember Randa in 1970s looked like he was in his 70s/80s when he would have only been in his 50s or so.
Using the actor's ages here, it's not exactly that bad. John Goodman is 71, but he was 65 when Kong: Skull Island was released. I'd say he looks his age, but losing a lot of weight (he did a great job) unfortunately means his face isn't as full. Randa could've been in his late 30s to early 40s at the earliest we see the character (Anders Holm is 42), and it gets much closer to looking... okay. Still off by about a decade, but much closer.
MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:25 pm Well, sure, but this is a discussion thread, for the discussing of opinions, and so far, you've been espousing an opinion that isn't just in the minority here but seems downright disapprovingly moralistic to some of us. To go with a version of your own argument, there are more on this entire forum and in the audience who wouldn't give a damn what two consenting adults do. If you don't think you'll get responses, I'm not sure what to tell you.
I don't care about majority opinions, man. A discussion isn't meant to merely be an echo chamber. Half of you just make fun of/attempt to trivialize opinions you disagree with, not my fault other users aren't mature enough to handle opinions contrary to their own. That's probably why it's a "minority" opinion on here.
Of course a discussion isn't an echo chamber. I've never once said "your opinion is wrong, stop that!", I'm disagreeing with you about a subject we're discussing. And maybe there's a "Silent Majority" on here, but why do you care if there is? Didn't you just say you don't care about majority opinions? Have your own opinion, always, but don't accuse people who don't agree with it of being immature or gross or whatever.


However...
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:58 pm Wow. I come back after a day of tornado shelters and power outages and I see my attempt at a good faith discussion didn't do any good. Oh well. At least I tried.

Next episode is apparently going to be a crowdpleaser. So we have that to look forward to.
...yes, you're right, this is utterly unedifying as a conversation, so I'll bow out here. Or try to anyway. :P Glad you made it through the extreme weather. My theory for next episode is we'll get a solid hint as to what exactly Hiroshi was/is doing. I get the feeling even Monarch doesn't know precisely what he's up to.

User avatar
Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Oof the next episode really needs to pick things up again. Even though I liked Episodes 4 and 5, most people didn't.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

User avatar
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5042
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:09 pm “These people, Monarch, the never cared about you. They were just about to lock you up and throw away the key like they did with me. This world, it doesn’t care about you either. Your father, well, I don’t need to say much more about him, right?”
“You’re wrong!”
“Wrong, right doesn’t matter. I’ve seen this world for what it is, been pushed around by militaries and monarch all my life, just to be betrayed by the woman I love. Might as well join me before you’re too late!”
Maybe Shaw is in leagues with Jonah.


Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

User avatar
MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:30 am

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:30 pm Oof the next episode really needs to pick things up again. Even though I liked Episodes 4 and 5, most people didn't.
Maybe most people here, but I've prowled a few discussion forums, and I haven't found any particularly negative response to the last two episodes. As I said, people actually seem to be digging the drama. :shrug:

User avatar
Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Luckily next episode seems to be set purely in the past. Since Shaw seems to be the only modern-day character that people seem to be liking, this will hopefully revamp some interest. This show really needs to be a hit if we want more MV content.

And let's be real here, regardless of where you stand on the whole "Cate is a lesbian" thing, people are inevitably going to focus too much on that type of stuff over the actual plot and the overall objective quality of the show and make a bigger deal about it than it needs to be

But that said, overall people just didn't seem to like Episode 5. We need more stuff from Shaw overall, the past, and the titans to renew more interest. I think I liked Episode 5 so much because I just really like Godzilla 2014 and I liked how it is fleshing-out that film more
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

User avatar
MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:30 am

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Somebody on another board just reminded me that according to Marlow, the Iwi can live far longer than baseline humans, presumably due to the Hollow Earth energy coming up from under Skull Island. I wonder if something like that is responsible for Shaw's well-preserved nature?

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 13978
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'd need to double check, but did anyone think the area where Cate and Kentaro begin to sing might be the same place where we see "Ghidorah" (the ornate wooden dragon sculpture) in G14. I recall that area had a lot of large and big red lanterns and I thought they were treading over ground Brody was in, and where the MUTO eggs were in the previous film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5823
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I thought that's what they were going for. But I don't know for sure because the crater for the MUTO nest isn't there that we can see.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by king_ghidorah »

I just rewatched parts of these and man. The way Monarch is depicted just doesn’t mesh with what we’ve seen of Serizawa and Graham.

Legion1979
Justiriser
Posts: 15720
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by Legion1979 »

Episode 1 through 3 built up so much amazing good will for this show and I was really digging it.

Finally watched episodes 4 and 5 yesterday and...meh.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Justiriser
Posts: 18260
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:33 am I just rewatched parts of these and man. The way Monarch is depicted just doesn’t mesh with what we’ve seen of Serizawa and Graham.
It's impossible for an organization like Monarch to not have both sides in the way we see in these films. Even in g14 before we meet Serizawa Monarch was shady.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

User avatar
G.H.B
Interpol Agent
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:00 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by G.H.B »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:47 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:33 am I just rewatched parts of these and man. The way Monarch is depicted just doesn’t mesh with what we’ve seen of Serizawa and Graham.
It's impossible for an organization like Monarch to not have both sides in the way we see in these films. Even in g14 before we meet Serizawa Monarch was shady.
This. KOTM was the only time Monarch was presented as an ooh rah! Shieldesque organization out to protect the world.

User avatar
HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5823
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Yeah, Serizawa and his pals seem to be the outliers in the organization.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

User avatar
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5042
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

G.H.B wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:05 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:47 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:33 am I just rewatched parts of these and man. The way Monarch is depicted just doesn’t mesh with what we’ve seen of Serizawa and Graham.
It's impossible for an organization like Monarch to not have both sides in the way we see in these films. Even in g14 before we meet Serizawa Monarch was shady.
This. KOTM was the only time Monarch was presented as an ooh rah! Shieldesque organization out to protect the world.
In 2014 and LoM, Monarch is still hidden. I think by this season/series end, we'll be seeing Monarch exposed to the public like it was by the time KoTM rolled around. They have a few years to show how shaddy it was prior to its change in management.


Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Post Reply