The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
VegetableBooy
Monsterland Worker

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by VegetableBooy »

When reading or writing a match, do any of you come up with a soundtrack in your head for it? I know putting specific music links isn’t allowed so that it can be left up for reader interpretation, so what are the ones you came up with?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

VegetableBooy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:04 pm When reading or writing a match, do any of you come up with a soundtrack in your head for it? I know putting specific music links isn’t allowed so that it can be left up for reader interpretation, so what are the ones you came up with?
Oh, I imagine music when I read matches all the time. KWC and KWCE alike. Sometimes I even imagine the music switching from one theme to another depending on how the scene goes.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

VegetableBooy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:04 pm When reading or writing a match, do any of you come up with a soundtrack in your head for it? I know putting specific music links isn’t allowed so that it can be left up for reader interpretation, so what are the ones you came up with?
Definitely, that's why it's unfortunate that we can't add it to matches proper. I think it's for legal reaosns or some such, I don't remember why specifically.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

HillyHulk wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:07 pm
Definitely, that's why it's unfortunate that we can't add it to matches proper. I think it's for legal reaosns or some such, I don't remember why specifically.
I’m personally okay with it. It just means we get to imagine our own.

Take me for example. When I read Match 379, I imagined “Running in the 90’s” playing in the background as full-grown Junior beat the snot out of Shin Godzilla.

VegetableBooy
Monsterland Worker

Post by VegetableBooy »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:13 pm

Take me for example. When I read Match 379, I imagined “Running in the 90’s” playing in the background as full-grown Junior beat the snot out of Shin Godzilla.
Me personally, I imagined “See The Fire In Your Eyes” from RDR2 playing at the end of Match 415. (It’s probably my favorite match of the year, but I don’t really consider “Return Of A Good Man” to be a KWC Match, that’s how good it is.)

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

VegetableBooy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:38 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:13 pm

Me personally, I imagined “See The Fire In Your Eyes” from RDR2 playing at the end of Match 415. (It’s probably my favorite match of the year, but I don’t really consider “Return Of A Good Man” to be a KWC Match, that’s how good it is.)
Return of a Good Man was cinema in written form. I’d give anything to see it as a movie.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

No idea to what the current stance is, but when I was head, I tried to avoid anything that was copyrighted based on Anthony's request to avoid such material.

But as to listening or having music for certain scenes, while I don't listen to music when I write and don't think music works with the written word as much as it bolsters visual storytelling (Because you can't time a song to an individual's reading pace, it more or less just sets a mood), I do usually think of a scene with music. For instance:

When Godzilla (Showa) has his moment with Anguirus in 416, usually think of "Red Riot" theme for his final breath sequence. For King Caesar vs. Kumasogami, usually thought of the "Akaza vs. Rengoku" theme for the tone of that fight and finally for Junior's Spiral Ray moment with Kaishin Muba, came up with it listening to the "Zenitsu" theme.

All orchestral or without a singer, because the tone is what matters. At least, to me.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

Greyshot151 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:20 am
No idea to what the current stance is, but when I was head, I tried to avoid anything that was copyrighted based on Anthony's request to avoid such material.

But as to listening or having music for certain scenes, while I don't listen to music when I write and don't think music works with the written word as much as it bolsters visual storytelling (Because you can't time a song to an individual's reading pace, it more or less just sets a mood), I do usually think of a scene with music. For instance:

When Godzilla (Showa) has his moment with Anguirus in 416, usually think of "Red Riot" theme for his final breath sequence. For King Caesar vs. Kumasogami, usually thought of the "Akaza vs. Rengoku" theme for the tone of that fight and finally for Junior's Spiral Ray moment with Kaishin Muba, came up with it listening to the "Zenitsu" theme.

All orchestral or without a singer, because the tone is what matters. At least, to me.
Now I'm imagining Kumasogami being scared shitless as King Caesar, with a giant hole in his body, holds back a final punch with everything he has.

VegetableBooy
Monsterland Worker

Post by VegetableBooy »

Other scenes I imagined included…

Matches 275 and 424, when Mothra Leo powers the heroes up: Feelin Super from Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel.

Match 389, the final clash: Undefeatable from Sonic Frontiers.

Match 222, Jet’s Sacrifice: the ending portion of It’s Been So Long by The Living Tombstone.

Match 133 and 150, all of them: the Seinfeld theme.

Match 200, when Monique, Randy and Elsie are planning to escape, Nick and Audrey are observing the island with Hicks, and Cameron is prepping to unleash his monsters: Ready As I’ll Ever Be from Tangled: The Series. (Cameron First Verse, Monique Randy and Elsie Second, Nick, Audrey and Hicks Third)
Last edited by VegetableBooy on Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

VegetableBooy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:21 pm

Matches 275 and 424, when Mothra Leo powers the heroes up: Feelin Super from Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel.

Match 222, Jet’s Sacrifice: the ending portion of It’s Been So Long by The Living Tombstone.

Match 200, when Monique, Randy and Elsie are planning to escape, Nick and Audrey are observing the island with Hicks, and Cameron is prepping to unleash his monsters: Ready As I’ll Ever Be from Tangled: The Series. (Cameron First Verse, Monique Randy and Elsie Second, Nick, Audrey and Hicks Third)
Some personal ones I've thought of:

Match 56, when King Kong emerges in his electrical state: the beginning of Destroyah's Final Form OST. When Gamera, EX-Gomora and Godzilla fire their final attacks: Gathering Energy for the Genki Dama.

Match 155, when Black Moth breaks into Dr. Who's facility and finds the frozen Orochi: Cave Paintings from Primal (someone please know which one I'm talking about)

Match 275, when the Leo-Powered Godzilla, Mothra, MUTO, as well as Rodan, attack King Ghidorah together: Open Your Heart from Sonic Adventure

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

The question of a “soundtrack” to a match is an interesting one to me, as while I do listen to music when writing, rarely am I like “this is the song for this scene” in a match of mine. The closest I can think of is for Godzilla (Heisei) vs Orochi: Round 2, Merged Zamasu’s theme from FighterZ is “Orochi’s theme” in that match to me.

It’s the same when reading matches, I’ll listen to stuff that fits the vibe of what is going on but it’s rarely like a “this is exactly what it needs to be”. It’s like a different soundtrack every time I reread a match, lol.

And what I listen to is a hodgepodge, of varying metal genres (heavy, thrash, djent, nu, alternative, metalcore, power, death, melodic death, technical death, deathcore, just about damn near anything but hair/glam metal), video game scores, and anime soundtracks (a Shiro Sagisu track is pretty much mandatory at some point while I write a match), so yeah. Spin a wheel, pretty much.

Though, for Escape from Tokyo, would definitely recommend “Fight Em Til You Can’t” by Anthrax for the main group fighting the horde of zombies inside the city.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

VegetableBooy
Monsterland Worker

Post by VegetableBooy »

Dunkeeni wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:59 pm
VegetableBooy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:21 pm

Some personal ones I've thought of:

Match 56, when King Kong emerges in his electrical state: the beginning of Destroyah's Final Form OST. When Gamera, EX-Gomora and Godzilla fire their final attacks: Gathering Energy for the Genki Dama.

Match 155, when Black Moth breaks into Dr. Who's facility and finds the frozen Orochi: Cave Paintings from Primal (someone please know which one I'm talking about)

Match 275, when the Leo-Powered Godzilla, Mothra, MUTO, as well as Rodan, attack King Ghidorah together: Open Your Heart from Sonic Adventure
Match 252, when Ultraman returns to space and contemplates why he cares about Earth: Starman by David Bowie.

Match 300, main theme: A Gamera version of Cursed Woody Sings A Song.

Match 300, Gamera returns to his original state and prepares for his final stand: Gamera’s leitmotif from the Heisei trilogy.

Match 360, the ending when Legendary Ghidorah begins to take over Ren’s mind: Darkest Desire 2/It’s Spreading by Dawko and DHeusta.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Oh, damn. We started a whole thing around this, didn’t we?

Okay, I’ll bite.

Match 357; Godzilla appears and goes on a rampage, Godzilla Raids Nagoya from Mothra vs Godzilla.

Godzilla and Ultraman start fighting, Main Title from Terror of MechaGodzilla.

When Godzilla preforms his vs Megalon drop kick on Ultraman, the 0:31 mark of “Godzilla’s Fight” from Godzilla vs Hedorah.

Match 337; When Shin and Legendary Godzilla start their fight, Destroy All Monsters theme from the Akira Ifukube Symphonic Fantasia, No.1

When Shin emerges alive and supercharged from Burning Godzilla’s attack, Battle in Outer Space theme from the Akira Ifukube Symphonic Fantasia, No.1

Match 211; Shin Orga is born, Baragon’s Theme from Frankenstein vs Baragon (again, also the Akira Ifukube Symphonic Fantasia, No.1 version).

Shin Orga’s first appearance in Vladivostok, Main Title from Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster (also the Akira Ifukube Symphonic Fantasia, No.1 version).
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Well I'mma join in too IG.

Match 424: In the final stand against Orochi when all the kaiju get the mana of the Earth, I had King of the Monsters from Final Wars in my head, since that semi-inspired the sequence anyway.

Match 100 and Match 185: For some reason, when all hell breaks loose and it gets down to everyone going at it, I always think of Riot from Three Days Grace. I have no idea why.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

VegetableBooy
Monsterland Worker

Post by VegetableBooy »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:57 am Well I'mma join in too IG.

Match 424: In the final stand against Orochi when all the kaiju get the mana of the Earth, I had King of the Monsters from Final Wars in my head, since that semi-inspired the sequence anyway.

Match 100 and Match 185: For some reason, when all hell breaks loose and it gets down to everyone going at it, I always think of Riot from Three Days Grace. I have no idea why.
One more for now…

Match 200: Nick and Cameron’s fight in the H.E.A.T. Seeker, One Step Ahead from Spies Are Forever. I just think it fits really well with the rivalry between the two! No other reason-

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Got a full on soundtrack to post for Return of a Good Man, but that'll be another day to compile it all.

For now, I can for sure say that theme for the match is So Far (Olafur Arnalds), since it generally portrays the mindset Hideki and Jack are in for the vast majority of the match.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

You know, I just had an idea... would it be asking too much to have a thread about this discussion about soundtracks? I know we can't add them in matches, but how about a thread discussing what songs we have in our minds when we read matches?

VegetableBooy
Monsterland Worker

Post by VegetableBooy »

HillyHulk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:10 am You know, I just had an idea... would it be asking too much to have a thread about this discussion about soundtracks? I know we can't add them in matches, but how about a thread discussing what songs we have in our minds when we read matches?
I’ve only been here for a month or two…what have I created..?

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

VegetableBooy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:30 am
HillyHulk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:10 am You know, I just had an idea... would it be asking too much to have a thread about this discussion about soundtracks? I know we can't add them in matches, but how about a thread discussing what songs we have in our minds when we read matches?
Whatever it is, take pride in it my friend

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

VegetableBooy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:30 am
Trust me dude, this is good. I bet you anything we've all had these 'soundtrack' head-canons ever since we first started reading these matches.

I know I have.