Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
gojizillakong
Samurai

Re: Godzilla Minus One - Box Office / Budget discussion thread

Post by gojizillakong »

Anecdotal, but my showing today actually had more people than last week’s. I think there are a lot of walk ups due to WOM

zukzilla
Monsterland Worker

Post by zukzilla »

My sister went Christmas Shopping other day. One of the cashier asked my sister if you saw Godzilla Minus One. This cashier said that he's not a big Godzilla fan but went to see it and he love it. WOM is definitely strong within this film.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Just got out of a non-imax showing about 3 hours ago. I counted at least 30 people in the theater.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So, went to a showing in Japan again. Theater was more than half full, despite it being out for over a month. The issue is though that there’s less showtimes per day. Still, I imagine it means its still making money in Japan!

I think it can cross 5Byen if this keeps up.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

zukzilla
Monsterland Worker

Post by zukzilla »

looks like projection for Minus One will be around $53-55 Million.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Four of my non-fan coworkers want to see it. Two are even interested in seeing Shin because of this.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

gojizillakong
Samurai

Post by gojizillakong »

Made $8.34M this weekend, a 27% drop from last weekend

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

-1 held perfectly Saturday and Sunday combined in Japan. 0% decrease.

Worldwide -1 will end up making more than Shin Godzilla. Big big thanks to the NA run. Should be able to get over 40m as long as Toho doesn’t pull it early.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

According to The Numbers, Godzilla Minus One will finish its second weekend with $8.3 Million (a -27% drop, an incredible hold!) and now is at $25.3 Million total so far in North America! Seems certain now it will top $30 Million in North America and IMO $40 Million is a real possibility.

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:45 am Absolutely wild that The Boy and the Heron and Godzilla Minus One are looking very likely to be in the top three at the US box office (at #1 and #3).

This is both a watershed moment for Japanese cinema in the US as well as a watershed moment for stuff I'm into actually being popular.
It's official: Godzilla had $8.34 million (3rd place) and Miyazaki earned $12.84 million (1st place) this weekend!

Wild how much better a distributor of Ghibli GKIDS has been, and it's a wild watershed for Japanese and international cinema in general in the US. Something like this probably hasn't happened since the flood of kung fu imports in 1973, right?

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Pkmatrix wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:56 am According to The Numbers, Godzilla Minus One will finish its second weekend with $8.3 Million (a -27% drop, an incredible hold!) and now is at $25.3 Million total so far in North America! Seems certain now it will top $30 Million in North America and IMO $40 Million is a real possibility.

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart
What's really crazy to think about if it indeed makes $40M, which is not guaranteed but still, is that a Japanese created Godzilla movie might make more money in the U.S. than in Japan :shock:

It's mostly down to how the conversation rate is right now with the Yen and U.S. Dollar but still, crazy to think about.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Even though kaiju movies were successful in the Japanese box office in the '60s, the practically guaranteed robust international distribution went a long way to justify the high cost of these films. DAM was intended to be the finale of the Godzilla series because, yes, the box office was going down, but also because the last two only went directly to television in the US. Meanwhile, Daiei counted on AIP's promise to buy any new Gamera films for television syndication in their calculus to keep the series going even as Daiei itself began falling apart.

... which is to say; making good money in other markets will go a long way to keeping Toho's Godzilla series in a healthy place.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Reporting a 27% drop for the second weekend at $8.3M…Sugoi!

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/173 ... LJHZ3ehLGg
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:22 am Even though kaiju movies were successful in the Japanese box office in the '60s, the practically guaranteed robust international distribution went a long way to justify the high cost of these films. DAM was intended to be the finale of the Godzilla series because, yes, the box office was going down, but also because the last two only went directly to television in the US.
Check the facts on this one. Preproduction of Destroy All Monsters started in November of 1967. Godzilla VS the Sea Monster didn't start airing in the US until 1968, while Son of Godzilla didn't show up here until 1969. If Toho indeed had decided that DAM was going to be their last Godzilla film, it would have had nothing to do with how the two previous films were released in the United States and everything to do with how they performed domestically. And by 1968, just after the first big Japanese kaiju boom, the writing was on the wall as budgets and box office were going down. Additionally, in the 1960s and 1970s Toho didn't made much off the sale of these movies in the US. Distributors like AIP, Walter Reade Sterling and Cinema Shares paid whatever small amount Toho would take for the movies and then did whatever they wanted with them.
Meanwhile, Daiei counted on AIP's promise to buy any new Gamera films for television syndication in their calculus to keep the series going even as Daiei itself began falling apart.
You do notice how, by 1965, partnering with Henry Saperstein for co-productiions became a very big deal for Toho. Frankenstein Conquers the World, Monster Zero and War of the Gargantuas were all coproductions with UPA, followed by King Kong Escapes with Universal and Rankin/Bass. Sea Monster and Son of Godzilla actually seem like afterthoughts when you realize what was going on. Destroy all Monsters was an outlier at the time, since it was a big film without any involvement outside of Toho. For the record, Latitude Zero was initially a co-production with Amassador Pictures in the US, until that company shut down and Toho had to make the film by themselves, which explains a lot.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Ooh, I think the 'last two went to TV' factoid is something I read when I was a teenager. Maybe Ryfle's book or the all-DAM issue of G-Fan?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Angilasman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:23 pm ^ Ooh, I think the 'last two went to TV' factoid is something I read when I was a teenager. Maybe Ryfle's book or the all-DAM issue of G-Fan?
It's true, no debating that.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Legion, sometimes I envy your borderline encyclopedic knowledge about the classic films. I would have no idea on where to even start on finding that kind of information.

On topic, though: Looks like Minus One is exceeding box office expectations at this point. Really cool. I don't think it's going to have a chance at matching Dragon Ball Super Hero. But if it somehow breaks $30 million it could signal a much larger audience for Japanese Godzilla films in the states than there used to be.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

At this rate, we'll be lucky if it breaks $50 million worldwide.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:24 pm
Angilasman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:23 pm ^ Ooh, I think the 'last two went to TV' factoid is something I read when I was a teenager. Maybe Ryfle's book or the all-DAM issue of G-Fan?
It's true, no debating that.
I mean the connection between the fact and Toho's reasoning for thinking interest was cooling.

... of course, the deal with Walter Reade might've happened earlier than we know? Perhaps the UPA coproduction not panning out was pretty important here, and maybe AIP was disinterested in acquiring their stuff for a few years?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:06 pm At this rate, we'll be lucky if it beaks $50 million worldwide.
My man it already did.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?