Whats your personal "crown jewel" in your collection?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

Whats your personal "crown jewel" in your collection?

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

Hope this isn't already a thread, I scrolled back a bit and didn't see it. If it is feel free to delete!

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has a release that holds that personal golden soft spot in their hearts, whether it be nostalgic or just something you're proud to own and show off. As far as related ones go, for me it's probably a bootleg subtitle VHS of House that I got at a tape swap, as well as my Simitar VHS of KOTM, as it was the first movie I owned from the Japanese movies as a kid.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Re: Whats your personal "crown jewel" in your collection?

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Haruo Nakajima autographed the cover of my Godzilla Criterion DVD back in 2013.

Tsutomu Kitagawa autographed the cover my Godzilla 2000 Sony DVD sleeve back in 2017. I put that in a 2-disc DVD case with the Sony BRD in the second disc slot to create the ultimate edition!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

A very good friend of mine once gave me a still from the original 1954 film (the one with Godzilla standing in the midst of a destroyed and burning tokyo with a few train cars in his mouth) that was autographed by Harou Nakajima himself! It's even framed and hanging on my bedroom wall as I write this post!
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The Xplus Shin trio. Got about $2000 wrapped up in just those 3 figures. Im also incredibly partial to my giant Bandai 1991 Godzilla and of course my old Imperial figures.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:33 pm Haruo Nakajima autographed the cover of my Godzilla Criterion DVD back in 2013.

Tsutomu Kitagawa autographed the cover my Godzilla 2000 Sony DVD sleeve back in 2017. I put that in a 2-disc DVD case with the Sony BRD in the second disc slot to create the ultimate edition!
Now you just need Satsuma to sign something.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

mikelcho wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:33 am A very good friend of mine once gave me a still from the original 1954 film (the one with Godzilla standing in the midst of a destroyed and burning tokyo with a few train cars in his mouth) that was autographed by Harou Nakajima himself! It's even framed and hanging on my bedroom wall as I write this post!
Oh wow, that's wicked!

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:30 am The Xplus Shin trio. Got about $2000 wrapped up in just those 3 figures. Im also incredibly partial to my giant Bandai 1991 Godzilla and of course my old Imperial figures.
I had more meant film releases but that's my fault for not specifying. Still though that's definitely something worth bragging about for sure.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Arrow Gamera Limited Edition Bluray collection, and the original edition SH Monsterarts Biollante. I'm boring.

Never been to G-Fest, so autographed material is outside my reach, and I don't have the funds to spare on anything fancier than a Monsterart figure.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Godzilla 54 and Mothra vs. Godzilla on 4k Blu-ray disc.

Arrow Gamera set is also a crown jewel.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Probably the original Media Blasters DAM release with the special features and the first release of MST3K volume 10 with Godzilla vs Megalon before they recalled it.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:29 am YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHOOSE BETWEEN THEM!!!
HOW BOUT YOU JUST CHOOSE 5!!!!!!!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

My signed Akira Takarada GFW special edition dvd back in 2020 at Gfest.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I Dont have anything's signed, but the Media Blasters Blu Ray of Destroy All Monsters with the AIP dub/ other unlicensed bonus content, as well as the Megalon DVD with fan commentary. Just because they shouldn't exist.

I do appreciate the fan restorations that are actually superior to the official releases, but its just nice to have them.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My collection is all run of the mill stuff, nothing to brag about. I guess I place a certain value on my Arrow sets, though. I have both standard edition Gamera box sets and then the collector editions of the Daimajin and Yokai sets. Might as well lump in the Warning From Space and The Invisible Man Appears Blu-rays, too. They're just quality releases, they look really nice on the shelf, and (not including Gamera) they're fairly obscure movies most kaiju fans probably haven't seen and don't care about. These releases also played a big part in introducing me to the whole concept of boutique physical media and the appeal of owning it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:33 am My collection is all run of the mill stuff, nothing to brag about. I guess I place a certain value on my Arrow sets, though. I have both standard edition Gamera box sets and then the collector editions of the Daimajin and Yokai sets. Might as well lump in the Warning From Space and The Invisible Man Appears Blu-rays, too. They're just quality releases, they look really nice on the shelf, and (not including Gamera) they're fairly obscure movies most kaiju fans probably haven't seen and don't care about. These releases also played a big part in introducing me to the whole concept of boutique physical media and the appeal of owning it.
I'm actually glad you brought those up as I have those same sets. I've been really trying to get into older j-horror lately and those did it for me. Arrow never dips on the quality of these, really makes then worth owning physically.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Sorry didn’t realize this was about physical media guess I should read better. Mine is probably my steelbook collection. It’s nothing fancy or rare but I love the way the steelbooks look.
Last edited by DoubleDam21 on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I thought this thread was just about physical media?

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:47 pm I thought this thread was just about physical media?
It was but I guess I shoulda made it more specific so thats my bad.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Would have to be my "Return of Godzilla" wall calendar
Last edited by G1985 on Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.