The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Gigantis »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:45 pm The designer of MG21 and now evolved Godzilla tweeting angrily about how casual audience don't appreciate his work

Another one for you
Spoiler:
I know this dude is probably upset about the harassment he got but oml there's NO way he actually thought posting that second image was a good idea.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:52 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:45 pm The designer of MG21 and now evolved Godzilla tweeting angrily about how casual audience don't appreciate his work

Another one for you
Spoiler:
I know this dude is probably upset about the harassment he got but oml there's NO way he actually thought posting that second image was a good idea.
Wait, did he, that guy, post that image?

If so, I find his behavior to be both unprofessional and irksome. No one deserves rabbid harassment and I can understand feeling flustered. Still, it's not a good look. Keep in mind it's better to just disengage.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

The second image was not from him. Its just also cringe af imo.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Okay, yes that's cringe.

I don't think this, but I think someone can easily just make a dumbass argument that the MV is Chinese/American (somehow both) propaganda lol.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:52 pm I know this dude is probably upset about the harassment he got but oml there's NO way he actually thought posting that second image was a good idea.
Hell, even the first image is incredibly childish to post.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:04 pm The second image was not from him. Its just also cringe af imo.
Oh phew. The way you formatted it I thought it was made by Jared.

Still, the one he did repost isn't entirely the best outlook either, I can see why that rubbed some people the wrong way.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Other thing to keep into consideration is from his perspective it's just reposting a funny image, to everyone else, it's a declaration of war!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I just dont think thats a good way to react to criticism. Im an artist myself so I can understand the stress of people not liking your work, obviously not on THIS SCALE but still. It comes with the job, he already got paid, fans are going to react how they're gonna react, it's out of his hands now. Kicking the hornets nest like he's doing isn't helping anything. He's not changing anyone's minds reacting like that.

It comes off as especially disrespectful when most of the complaints I've seen for this trailer isn't from casuals, but long-time fans of the series. Hell, I'M a long time fan of the series and I'm not happy with what Im seeing. Despite being a toy collector, I am actually against mindless consumer culture. And more and more often it feels like these movies JUST exist to sell toys and to sell tickets to whatever sequel they make next. Thats the impression I get with this Godzilla design: IMO, it looks like it was designed JUST to sell toys. There are elements that I think are cool but thats the overarching theme I get. Jared should be able to take criticism for that.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:53 am Does anyone here date back far enough to the late 2000s? For a brief moment in time there was a person - who I won't name - that was posting some crazy stuff. Posting about his master plan to force his high school teacher to show the original Godzilla in class, obsessing over films like G3 and G2K in his blog and going on about how he planned to cover the deaths of certain people (such as Akira Takarada) when they died. It doesn't sound completely nuts, but it was. Especially when he said he planned to cut his entirely family out of his life for not appreciating Godzilla.

I forgot all about this person until yesterday when I saw him comment on something in a FB article I was reading. Then I went and checked his FB. He had disappeared off the platform in 2020 only to come back specifically for the release of Minus One. In the past 24 hours he has posted about that film and New Empire at least 40 times. He's stated his entire goal is to promote Godzilla awareness through his FB posts, even though no one is liking, sharing or commenting on anything he writes.

Why am I bothering to talk about this? Because isn't it relieving to know that, no matter how obsessive you think you are about something, there's always someone whose taken it to another level entirely.
Oh wow, that was a long time ago. I remember the tricking the teacher to show Gojira post, that one was made a lot around here.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:45 pm Another one for you
Spoiler:
lmao

lmbo, even

I might perhaps go so far as a wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I hope this wakes a few people up to how silly they've been about Shin Godzilla.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
king_ghidorah wrote:This thread is very, very confusing.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I didn't feel either were very nationalistic propaganda. I'd be nervous if a Godzilla movie ended with something like 'round up the Koreans and Chinese in our country and kill them to appease Godzilla!' They do it and suddenly Godzilla just leaves with the executions treated as a good thing.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:43 pm I didn't feel either were very nationalistic propaganda. I'd be nervous if a Godzilla movie ended with something like 'round up the Koreans and Chinese in our country and kill them to appease Godzilla!' They do it and suddenly Godzilla just leaves with the executions treated as a good thing.
I've often defended and pushback against accusations of nationalism within Godzilla/kaiju media. This isn't out of obligation or duty, but rather because I believe it is accurate and feel I can offer some insight. I'm trying to think of what would cross a line or be suddenly eye-opening/strange to me. Something wherein China and or Chinese-like powers (Korean too) are partially to blame for a monsters creation and or villainous, where as a result Japan has to retaliate or something would probably be more of the flavor for problematic issues.

I find a lot of these fears by people, are in part, based on ignorance of modern Japanese society. Militarization is always an issue of intense debate here, but there seems to be some persuasive stereotyping that Japanese people are somehow incapable or have the inability to comprehend that WW2 and the actions of the IJN were atrocious, while also juggling that Japan lost a lot and lives. From my own cultural observations, Japan is very obsessed with "foreign" things, and American media has very much influenced society here. It ignores that many people in Japan, while going with the flow, are constantly criticizing cultural and governmental practices. Post WW2 Japan, despite overlap in populations, is ostensibly a very different/better country from pre-war Japan, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would think otherwise.

Going back to the meme at hand, it's a good example of anything that has a sense of Japanese identity, that doesn't subjugate itself to the US, is broadly labeled as nationalistic. I had a very late night conversation with someone I respect the other day, a Japanese man in his 50's. We were talking a lot about the usual recent issues (Hamas, Ukraine etc...). The man is very much anti-war, and is disgusted by the state of the world right now, while also acknowledging how complicated some of it is. We eventually got to the discussion of Taiwan, and he told me that he was concerned about the relationship between America and Japan because he does not want Japan getting involved or dragged into a conflict so near its borders with a neighboring state because of actions by America. He feels that it's an unhealthy relationship that Japan mostly blindly goes along with US policy because of our strong historical ties and good relationship. I think a lot of Japanese people feel this way, and I can sympathize. I don't necessarily agree with him because I think the entire region is volatile regardless of the US and that Japan ultimately benefits a lot more from it's healthy relationship with the United states. But, I can understand that feeling at it's core. I think this was what Shin Godzilla was addressing to a degree (this relationship, not Taiwan), and I think it's a legitimate thing to question and concern. But, a lot of people will inevitably see that and go NATIONALISM!!

Keep in mind if anyone wants to disagree with me by all means go ahead. I state all this while acknowledging that I am not an "expert" on Japan, nor do I claim to know all Japanese things. I think we can have all these "fun" conversations so long as people are polite and don't start throwing accusations at each other. I'm always thinking and having conversations with myself about these things, so don't feel shy or intimidated to bring it up. Just be polite! :Mothra61:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

I swear, I honestly think sometimes people are constantly just desperately looking for a reason to shit on Japanese media. "What's this, a Japanese movie that critics and viewers are raving about, and which is considered one of the greatest films in recent years? Pfft, yeah, the movie has its positives, but it's really all just a bunch of propaganda...." Why some people like to make themselves actually miserable like this will always be beyond me. For gosh sakes, people, get a load of the Hollywood crap right next to you instead of pretending that a foreign country is incapable of producing worthwhile media.
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.
Let's go back to just watching and enjoying monster movies.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Follinollante wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:49 pm I swear, I honestly think sometimes people are constantly just desperately looking for a reason to shit on Japanese media. "What's this, a Japanese movie that critics and viewers are raving about, and which is considered one of the greatest films in recent years? Pfft, yeah, the movie has its positives, but it's really all just a bunch of propaganda...." Why some people like to make themselves actually miserable like this will always be beyond me. For gosh sakes, people, get a load of the Hollywood crap right next to you instead of pretending that a foreign country is incapable of producing worthwhile media.
Everything has to have an ulterior motive. It can’t just be successful because it’s good, it has to be propaganda or “woke” or whatever. There’s always some sort of bad narrative spinning behind the scenes because of people who have disingenuous takes and it oftentimes overtakes the genuine criticisms or discussions around these pop culture items.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

G.H.B
Interpol Agent

Post by G.H.B »

CyberZilla wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:28 pm
Follinollante wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:49 pm I swear, I honestly think sometimes people are constantly just desperately looking for a reason to shit on Japanese media. "What's this, a Japanese movie that critics and viewers are raving about, and which is considered one of the greatest films in recent years? Pfft, yeah, the movie has its positives, but it's really all just a bunch of propaganda...." Why some people like to make themselves actually miserable like this will always be beyond me. For gosh sakes, people, get a load of the Hollywood crap right next to you instead of pretending that a foreign country is incapable of producing worthwhile media.
Everything has to have an ulterior motive. It can’t just be successful because it’s good, it has to be propaganda or “woke” or whatever. There’s always some sort of bad narrative spinning behind the scenes because of people who have disingenuous takes and it oftentimes overtakes the genuine criticisms or discussions around these pop culture items.
I feel there’s always been people like this, but social media and the internet in general has exposed and emboldened bad faith weirdos to preach their bullshit and indoctrinate impressionable kids and idiots, growing their numbers.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Seeing a lot of Godzilla fans on Twitter being angry because some YouTubers that they dislike are praising Godzilla Minus One. You can hate on these YouTubers all you want, I don't give a rat's ass, but being this upset because they liked the movie and even going as far as to say stupid shit to them, like “you're not welcomed in the Godzilla fandom” and “stay away from Godzilla”, and even saying that gatekeeping is actually good as long as it affects those certain people is cringe and overall very pathetic. They need to calm their tits.

Omni Viewer posted this tweet that everybody needs to read: https://twitter.com/OmniandSnazzy/statu ... 3063387540

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think the entire Godzilla fandom in general just needs a social media break.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:41 am Seeing a lot of Godzilla fans on Twitter being angry because some YouTubers that they dislike are praising Godzilla Minus One. You can hate on these YouTubers all you want, I don't give a rat's ass, but being this upset because they liked the movie and even going as far as to say stupid shit to them, like “you're not welcomed in the Godzilla fandom” and “stay away from Godzilla”, and even saying that gatekeeping is actually good as long as it affects those certain people is cringe and overall very pathetic. They need to calm their tits.

Omni Viewer posted this tweet that everybody needs to read: https://twitter.com/OmniandSnazzy/statu ... 3063387540
Are the YouTubers in question blatantly just hijacking Godzilla to push their anti-Disney, anti-woke agenda? Because there's definitely a lot of that going around.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Post by NSZ »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:36 am
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:41 am Seeing a lot of Godzilla fans on Twitter being angry because some YouTubers that they dislike are praising Godzilla Minus One. You can hate on these YouTubers all you want, I don't give a rat's ass, but being this upset because they liked the movie and even going as far as to say stupid shit to them, like “you're not welcomed in the Godzilla fandom” and “stay away from Godzilla”, and even saying that gatekeeping is actually good as long as it affects those certain people is cringe and overall very pathetic. They need to calm their tits.

Are the YouTubers in question blatantly just hijacking Godzilla to push their anti-Disney, anti-woke agenda? Because there's definitely a lot of that going around.
You bet your sweet bippy they are. Perfectly reasonable to gatekeep against bloodsucking culture war parasites.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

As a fan of both, seeing Godzilla used as a tool to air out more Disney hate online just pisses me off.