Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again Novelisations

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again Novelisations

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm curious WHY you haven't seen Godzilla Raid's Again. Like all the other Showa films, it's ridiculously easy to see.

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:21 pm I'm curious WHY you haven't seen Godzilla Raid's Again. Like all the other Showa films, it's ridiculously easy to see.
Just haven't got round to it.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

JNewbold54 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:09 am Have read the Raids again novel. As I haven't seen that film, I can't say how different it is overall, but there is one major change from a Kaiju fans perspective:
Spoiler:
In the book, Anguirus has Atomic Breath as well.
Didn't enjoy this one quite as much, the highlight was the fight between Godzilla and Anguirus, which happens a surprisingly long time before the end of the story, and the human cast are less engaging. These are, I gather, also issues with the film.
Interesting! Yeah, the fight between Godzilla and Anguirus being so early has always been regarded as early installment weirdness with that movie.

cicada.human
Yojimbo

Post by cicada.human »

I really enjoyed both novellas. 54 was cool because it is 54, but I think I liked Raids Again better. I enjoy that the characters have realistic jobs and behave quite normal. I know fans do not like the "bland" characters of Raids Again, but I find it the closest to literary fiction/ magical realism out of all the movies/ books.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

cicada.human wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:26 am I know fans do not like the "bland" characters of Raids Again, but I find it the closest to literary fiction/ magical realism out of all the movies/ books.
Could you please elaborate on this? Just your reasoning behind it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MC_Lovecraft
Interpol Agent

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Gotta copy of this for my birthday! 8-) Hoping things slow down at work a bit so I have time to read again.

GoKelley86
Samurai

Post by GoKelley86 »

Just got done reading it. I found a copy at my local library! My wife wanted us to start making regular trips to the library to find books to read our newborn and get her into reading early.

A nice idea, but I'm sure she groaned a little when I managed to walk out with a Godzilla book, lol.

Anyways, having this piece of Godzilla history uncovered for English speaking audiences was terrific and it made for a fun read.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GoKelley86 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:43 pm Just got done reading it. I found a copy at my local library! My wife wanted us to start making regular trips to the library to find books to read our newborn and get her into reading early.

A nice idea, but I'm sure she groaned a little when I managed to walk out with a Godzilla book, lol.

Anyways, having this piece of Godzilla history uncovered for English speaking audiences was terrific and it made for a fun read.
Lmao that's fantastic. There have been some better kid-oriented books recently though, like "Kong and Me".

Also, reading to children at a young age, even when they can't understand you, is a great idea. It gets them used to the idea of reading and its a good bonding exercise for them to get used to your voice.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Bought a copy at Forbidden Planet NYC while I was back in the USA! Read the Godzilla 1954 novelization on the way back to Japan.

It was okay. I think that this did some things better than the movie while also showcasing why a novelization of these kinds of things are a bad idea in general. Mainly, because it’s a novel it can take some time to develop on things the movie glosses over. An example includes giving names to the sailors who meet their demise in the first few moments of the film and devoting time to set the scenery. The book adds a lot of descriptive human elements to many of Godzilla’s victims. That’s an advantage prose has over a movie though.

The other thing that was cool was setting Yamane as more of a foil to Serizawa, and Yamane’s personal struggle being just as important as a serious struggle to Serizawa’s. Yamane, like Serizawa, is very thoughtful and methodical about what this all might mean, and gets into intense arguments with the surrounding characters. The novel also briefly touches on the fact that Yamane wants to study Godzilla to advance Japan’s medical fields and atone for their involvement in WW2. It’s a neat touch,

The issue is Godzilla itself. Not sure if it’s the translation, but it’s sort of boring just reading about a monster on a rampage. It’s not exciting, and each scene/moment that actually focused on Godzilla was actually pretty boring. I’m a firm believer in Kaiju novels and stories in print, but this was a good example of how not to do it. To give the work some credit though, I like how Godzilla is explicitly linked to the wind and crashing waves. The scene where he appears on Odo Island also makes him out to be a demon.

The other thing is that except for those big moments of scene chewing, a lot of this feels like a skeletal outline. That’s what it is, it’s not a complete work. It’s an outline for a movie where the writer is basically laying the groundwork for what themes they should convey and imagery.

Finally, I need to do more research on this novel/publication. While I’m grateful for the translation, and happy to support physical print, I scanned the copyright pages and noticed the lack of any copyright or connection from Toho. The fact that the cover calls it the “the original novels” and the lack of a foreword that really explains what this is, makes me wonder if this is loosely misleading. I need to do more research, and maybe the afterword will explain more. I’m wondering if this is a scenario where an English publisher realized a Godzilla novel published in a magazine, long ago, was possibly public domain or that they didn’t need explicit permission from Toho to publish it. I may be wrong on all this but I’m curious to figure it out.

In any case, if you’re a Godzilla nut and you’ve seen 1954 a dozen or so times, I can give it an easy recommendation as an interesting thing to draw comparisons to. I enjoyed reading it.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:24 am Finally, I need to do more research on this novel/publication. While I’m grateful for the translation, and happy to support physical print, I scanned the copyright pages and noticed the lack of any copyright or connection from Toho. The fact that the cover calls it the “the original novels” and the lack of a foreword that really explains what this is, makes me wonder if this is loosely misleading. I need to do more research, and maybe the afterword will explain more. I’m wondering if this is a scenario where an English publisher realized a Godzilla novel published in a magazine, long ago, was possibly public domain or that they didn’t need explicit permission from Toho to publish it. I may be wrong on all this but I’m curious to figure it out.
Take a gander. Might explain a few things.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:40 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:24 am Finally, I need to do more research on this novel/publication. While I’m grateful for the translation, and happy to support physical print, I scanned the copyright pages and noticed the lack of any copyright or connection from Toho. The fact that the cover calls it the “the original novels” and the lack of a foreword that really explains what this is, makes me wonder if this is loosely misleading. I need to do more research, and maybe the afterword will explain more. I’m wondering if this is a scenario where an English publisher realized a Godzilla novel published in a magazine, long ago, was possibly public domain or that they didn’t need explicit permission from Toho to publish it. I may be wrong on all this but I’m curious to figure it out.
Take a gander. Might explain a few things.
I’m going to read the whole thing later, but this is really useful and fantastic. Great job on TK’s and Jeffery Angie’s end.

I’m glad for the clarification. It’s good that Shigeru Kayama is going to get more recognition for his contribution to Godzilla now!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JNewbold54 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:26 pm There's a minor subplot where an apparent cult following Godzilla springs up, and Dr Yamane is suspected of being its leader, but it ultimately turns out to only have one actual member who is killed during Godzilla's rampage. It's ultimately not very consequential, and I can see why it wasn't included in the film.
I thought that was one of the most interesting parts of the novel, but I understand why it was cut.

My interpretation was that it was less of a literal cult, and more that one criminal was stirring the pot and causing controversy because of delusions. It seemed more like someone trying to blame Yamane and others for Godzilla. I imagine that in post atomic bomb japan, because the unbelievable happened people spread a lot of misinformation and conspiratorial theories. It’s like how people who suffered at the hands of the atomic bomb were believed to spread radiation sickness and discriminated against, just due to their proximity to the disaster.

One funny thing though, is that Yamane or someone states that part of the crackpot theory was that Godzilla was some sort of robot controlled by them. Gee, a robotic Godzilla…hmmm, sounds ridiculous! Kinda neat they were already thinking about giant robots this early, even with Bride of Godzilla and 1957’s Moguera.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just ordered this book from my local Barnes & Noble yesterday. I can't wait to get it and read it!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Once again thank you to the main site and Jeffery Angles for the interview and clarification. Everything makes a lot more sense now and I deeply respect the time and care that went into this. I found Mr. Angle's commentary about the reasons why he wanted to do this and the challenges behind this very fascinating. It makes sense now that this was produced through the Kayama estate and not through Toho and I understand exactly what it is.

There's some great details in the interview which I think are pretty interesting:
The "Godzilla in Tokyo" and "Godzilla in Osaka" make the two novels feel much more linked is a neat touch. Part of the issue I have with GRA is it does feel a little disconnected to the original and sort of unneeded. As time has gone on though, I do see it more as a proper sequel and I like the idea that the author of the novellas believed them to work together.

-The discussion of Godzilla's gender and the difficulty surrounding it is always an interesting one. I agree and have used Angle's rationale for saying Godzilla doesn't really have a gender but it's just easier in English to refer to it with male pronouns. I like Angle's reasoning for finally using "he" as well, because it's men that made the atomic bomb.

-The Tokyo Godzilla Society will never not be an interesting one. I'm sort of tempted to make a thread on it as it's such a weird and unique moment in the novel.

Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Post by Excelsior »

Just finished the first novella. The most interesting and frustrating element was the lack of description regarding Godzilla himself. There is absolutely nothing to suggest what he looked like physically. I wonder if this was done deliberately in order to give freedom to the FX department to build him as they liked it if it was simply the style of the day for Japanese writers.

He's much more agile than the movie, which i foundinteresting. He leaps into and out of the ocean while attacking.

Can't wait to see if the trend continues in the second book.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Excelsior wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:43 pm Just finished the first novella. The most interesting and frustrating element was the lack of description regarding Godzilla himself. There is absolutely nothing to suggest what he looked like physically. I wonder if this was done deliberately in order to give freedom to the FX department to build him as they liked it if it was simply the style of the day for Japanese writers.
I assumed that that was the exact reason why he isn't described much. But, in general the novella didn't have many descriptions of scenery, ties into it more being written as a concept to adapt a film from. The one big thing is when Godzilla attacks Odo, and lifts his head up, he's described as glowing and white with energy which I thought was cool.

Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Post by Excelsior »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:48 pm
Excelsior wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:43 pm Just finished the first novella. The most interesting and frustrating element was the lack of description regarding Godzilla himself. There is absolutely nothing to suggest what he looked like physically. I wonder if this was done deliberately in order to give freedom to the FX department to build him as they liked it if it was simply the style of the day for Japanese writers.
I assumed that that was the exact reason why he isn't described much. But, in general the novella didn't have many descriptions of scenery, ties into it more being written as a concept to adapt a film from. The one big thing is when Godzilla attacks Odo, and lifts his head up, he's described as glowing and white with energy which I thought was cool.
Yes, that was a nice touch. But I'd still have liked to see some kind of description. All we know of him from the book is that he has a face, hands and feet. Nothing about a saurian body shape, a tail, dorsal fins, skin texture. It's not even stated if he's a biped.

I just passed the part where he meets Anguirus. His shell is mentioned, but that's it. At least you could look up the ankylosaurus and put an image to the words.

Oh well. It's still an interesting bit of history.