Returner (2002)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

Returner (2002)

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

So naturally with Minus 1 fresh in my mind, I wanted to watch some other stuff by the same director, and when I saw "Returner" I remembered that it was a trailer attached to the old sony Godzilla DVD's so I decided to give it a watch uh....wow...you'd never guess this was the same director aside from the heavy digital effects use. Speaks to him and his growth as a director cause for the most part this is just a very..."2000's" movie. Very matrix and Sci-Fi channel original ish. Anyone else seen this one?

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Re: Returner (2002)

Post by Spydrmanjr »

So many years ago! I am pretty sure I first rented it through Netflix's mail in DVDs and I maybe own a copy of the DVD somewhere at my mother's house. I think the last time I had watched this was 2010-2012 in college. I remember enjoying it broadly, but I do not recall it being anything outstanding.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

Spydrmanjr wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:54 pm So many years ago! I am pretty sure I first rented it through Netflix's mail in DVDs and I maybe own a copy of the DVD somewhere at my mother's house. I think the last time I had watched this was 2010-2012 in college. I remember enjoying it broadly, but I do not recall it being anything outstanding.
Oh wow, I almost forgot that's how it used to be back then. Yes I'll say at the very least I was entertained. It's certainly a good time capsule movie.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I had a bit of a retrospective on Yamazaki's earlier work in preparation for -1, this included. It was my first time watching it, but I had been aware of it ever since I saw the trailer on the GXMG DVD from Sony. It is certainly quite entertaining, but you can tell that Yamazaki was still trying to find his footing, I think.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's really funny how a bunch of people associate the film with a trailer from a DVD. Trailers on DVDs are such a weird relic of the past as well.

Would it be safe to say Returner (2002) is Godzilla Final Wars without Godzilla? That's the vibe I got.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

lol I well back then it was more or less buried among all the other Ghost in the Shell and Matrix style movies. You cold say Final Wars or any other action movie filled with black leather trenchcoats and sun glasses. I dont ever remember seeing it at suncoast or video rental stores. I know, I'm showing my age.

goji4ever
Ronin

Post by goji4ever »

G-Matt wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:50 am I had a bit of a retrospective on Yamazaki's earlier work in preparation for -1, this included. It was my first time watching it, but I had been aware of it ever since I saw the trailer on the GXMG DVD from Sony. It is certainly quite entertaining, but you can tell that Yamazaki was still trying to find his footing, I think.

yup the trailer included in the Goji film got me to watch.. It was solid but disposable.. I remember Iron Monkey making a “greater” impression