HARBORING (original giant hero story)

This is a place to post and share and promote your own original creative works, such as films, digital and physical art, as well as short stories and novels.
Jomei
Futurian

HARBORING (original giant hero story)

Post by Jomei »

Hey TK! A project I've been working on for a long time has now been published by ELJ Editions: Harboring, a literary "giant hero" story you can enjoy in an afternoon!

With blurbs from Matt Frank, who really enjoyed it, as well as flash fiction writer Will Musgrove, I hope you'll consider checking it out!

I strived to make Harboring a book that would appeal both to readers and to kaiju/tokusatsu fans. If you're familiar with Ultraman, Mirroman, Ambassador Magma and the like, then you'll feel right at home in this story. Only, this book asks: Why Japan? What does it mean to choose a new home for oneself and dedicate your life, your efforts, and your violence to securing its safety? And what if that home isn't all it appears at first?

If you'd like to get a copy or an e-book, check the Amazon link, or if you'd prefer, I will have a limited number of copies that I'll sign and stamp with my custom Biollante hanko. :pelops2:
Last edited by Jomei on Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
king_ghidorah wrote:This thread is very, very confusing.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HARBORING (original giant hero story)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I bought a personalized copy from Jomei and he was kind enough to send it all the way to Japan!

It’s really good! Prose wise, and writing style, it’s top notch! There’s a great sense of humor, observation, and reflection on life in Japan (and the Earth in general) through the protagonist. I think it goes beyond the surface level of “alienation”, of what one might think of when they think of an alien living in Japan and fighting aliens based on Jomei’s personal experiences and reflections. As much as I love Ultraman and Tokusatsu media, any Japanese media will inevitably have some difficulty portraying “foreign alienation” in a believable and authentic fashion. This isn’t to say that Harboring is dour, it’s filled with lots of great comedic moments and is very nuanced with what it is addressing.

I can’t reveal much, per James’ instructions “NO LEAKS”, but there’s a few interesting twists and what I believe to be something that hasn’t been done in the greater Ultraman/Giant Hero genre before. If you like some of the more thought provoking episodes of the Ultraman franchise, like The Monster User and the Boy and The Life that Can’t be Forgiven. Like them, Harboring is a cerebral tale that uses it’s fun giant hero format to tell a more philosophical, social, and emotional tale. But, Harboring is no mere copy, or fan-based work that nearly emulates what the author likes. It’s a work that goes beyond.

If you like good literature Harboring by James Sullivan is an easy recommendation.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Thank you for the kind review! I feel like your copy might have been one of the ones where the Biollante stamp was fuzzy because I was using a damaged ink pad. If so, I'll fix it next time I'm cruising the konbini country. :pelops2:
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I was recently interviewed for Cleaver Magazine about this novelette. The interview is a transcription of a buzzed Zoom conversation, so I tend to ramble a bit, but there's some thoughts re: kaiju and tokusatsu etc. here in addition to book talk.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Great write up, and I agree with your thoughts on Japan/"Japanese culture".

Everyone, especially those who read the story, should read this interview, but I want to highlight something that I don't have a chance to talk about:
James: And if you’ve ever encountered Japanese people or heard the idea that they are reserved, there’s certainly something to that during the day. The culture is often described as conservative. There’s something to that, too. But I’ve always seen it as: they are more effective at compartmentalizing things. In the sense that all kinds of artistic expression, all things, basically, are okay in their proper place. So then coworkers would go out drinking after work. You’d go out and drink with a new acquaintance, and the things you don’t talk about during the daytime are able to come out then.
James: At least that’s my outsider perspective on things: not that Japanese are no different from Americans, but it’s more that those parts we are so comfortable revealing right away are given different outlets there.
Preach!

Having been in Japan for now five years, I do not agree or give into stereotypes about Japanese people and or their personalities. Often, these stereotypes come from a place of pure misunderstanding. When I hear other foreigners/ex-pats/international people it's always amusing when people discuss these stereotypes and take them as 100% true; it means they never got invited out! I think Japanese people also give into self-stereotyping and it leads to confirmation bias.

Last week was my work's bonnenkai. The bonnenkai was OK, but the afterparty and the party after that, were where people really started discussing the nitty gritty, including complaining about other co-workers (lol). I found out that despite people seeming to be disinterested in me beyond a "HE IS AMERICAN" kind of way, many of my coworkers were genuinely interested in my life and opinions about various topics beyond a "YOU LIKE NATTO????!" way. Many people were eagerly awaiting to talk to me, just didn't have the chance!

Nothing is "more authentic" than 1AM Ramen. :pelops2:

Your last point is something I agree with 100%: ultimately people are people, and while portrayal and how people conduct themselves publicly face to face can appear different, ultimately how people conduct themselves privately is very different.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

FWIW, there's a brief review of sorts in Rain Taxi. If you're a Minnesota person, or in another bigger Midwest city you might be able to spot it on a literary-ish newsstand.