Godzilla: Tactical Assault.

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla: Tactical Assault.

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:48 pm Thanks. A little Godzilla Tactical Assault will be a great present for the holidays. Got to thank you for your hard work. You inspired me to write my own Kaiju piece (aside from the 3 I did on this thread) I submitted a match on the Kaiju war Chronicles. Thanks for all you do! Happy Holidays!
I should be thanking you MP. If not for you, I likely would have let the story die at the point where I lost all my notes. Anyone who's still enjoying the story past that point owes you a dept of gratitude. I think I'm doing ok without them, though it still burns my ass that they got corrupted. :?

Quick Story update: I got the first draft of Chapter 40 done this morning. It's coming along nicely. It's a good thing I divided this chapter and the last one into two separate sections though. Chapter 40 is already 25 solid pages long and it's probably going to be closer to 30 by the time I get the second draft finished (if it follows the usual pattern). Chapters generally grow as I think of more things to add/adjust.

Oh, I saw Godzilla Minus One this weekend. I thought it was really quite good, but of course I'd say that. A serious and grim Godzilla story where Godzilla is a bag guy and a real threat, the story is focused on a member of the military fighting an uphill battle against him, and it takes place in a World War Two-esk time period? Nah, nothing I'd particularly like about any of that. :lol:

But seriously, I really liked it. Loved the emotional core of the movie. The human story was just as interesting as the monster action. The messaging, while not particularly subtle, was very on point. Hard to find a lot to complain about. It's maybe in the top 5 Godzilla movie of all time? Perhaps higher than that? I need more time to digest it and definitely need to have another viewing to make that call. But overall, very pleased with it.

Happy Holidays MP.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

Anytime.

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

If you ever need a break I could probably do a chapter or two, at least with an outline.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:31 pm If you ever need a break I could probably do a chapter or two, at least with an outline.
I’ll keep that in mind.

I’m actually getting to some stuff I’ve been looking forward to since the very beginning, so I should be good to go for a little while at least. Big things coming…. Of course, when you’re writing a story about giant monsters, you can pretty much apply that statement to any given chapter. :lol:
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

Yeah. I grew up with monster movies but my experience with Kaiju outside of the major movies was pretty basic. Learning lots from your story. Its the kind of work that makes you think and wonder.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:01 pm Yeah. I grew up with monster movies but my experience with Kaiju outside of the major movies was pretty basic. Learning lots from your story. Its the kind of work that makes you think and wonder.
Well there will be plenty more of obscure and underutilized characters coming. So we’ll continue to expand your Kaiju education. Without giving too much away, a couple more will appear in the very next chapter, actually. Speaking of which, I got the second draft of chapter 40 done today. Hopefully, I can wrap up the editing process this weekend and the do the miniature work next weekend. If all goes well, I’ll still be on track to have it ready by Christmas.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

Chapter 40: Hearts of Iron.

On Mondo Island, four days had passed since Kong's battle with Gorosaurus. Food was once again starting to become a concern for the survivors. Brock set out towards the beach to comb over it, hoping to come across a crab, or even one of the crab-like creatures that had attacked the camp. Since the battle, they had become scarce. Brock was starting to come to terms with the notion that the group might not be able to hold out long enough for help to arrive. They were just scraping by, and every day on the island was getting tougher. If it really came down to starvation, Brock knew what he would do. He'd go out looking for Kong or Gorosaurus and start a fight. Brock wouldn't just let himself waste away. He might as well go out like a warrior.

As Brock came around a grove of the trees and into a clearing, he found a woman standing there alone only ten paces away from him. Brock came to a halt, shocked. She was a beautiful blonde wearing a tan naval uniform top, a hat, and skirt which cut several inches above her knees. It was almost like he was daydreaming her being there. She looked like a pinup girl aviators would paint on the side of their airplanes. As Brock stared at the woman, he noticed that her hat had an Archimedes' emblem sewn into it. At that moment, Brock knew he wasn't just imagining her. She had to be part of a rescue party. Brock stood there for a moment longer, almost disbelieving that a rescue party was actually there looking for them. Then it occurred to him, why was this woman just standing there all alone?

By that point, the woman had noticed Brock too and she froze, speechless. She was only able to stare back at Brock, perhaps even more shocked to see him than he was to see her. It suddenly dawned on Brock that he wasn't wearing his regular marine fatigues. He was in fact still clad in the salvaged armor they'd taken off of the derelict ship. He must have been a sight to her. The woman started to reach down for her sidearm to defend herself.

"Wait!" Brock shouted with an outreached hand, which took the woman off guard. She flinched and then froze again. She had fumbled around with the holster but failed to grasp her weapon. "Just wait a damn moment, missy. Before you decide to start blowing holes into me, you should know I'm one of the guys they sent you here to save."

"Oh, thank goodness..." The woman sighed in relief, recognizing that Brock was an American. "What in the Sam-hell are you wearing soldier?" She asked, perplexed. Brock hesitated, perhaps a little embarrassed. He must have looked ridiculous to her. She couldn't know or even begin to understand everything he'd been through to lead to such a thing being necessary.

"It's a very long story." Brock simply replied. "Just know that it is necessary to survive here." With that said, Brock quickly remembered where they were and realized that they were standing out in the open, totally exposed. "Come with me, it's not safe here." He commanded. The woman looked a little annoyed. Brock could see that she was a lieutenant, and she probably didn't appreciate taking orders from someone who was undoubtably a grunt. "There's no time for that now." Brock recognized her look of distain. "Hurry up." He said firmly. The lady officer obeyed without further protest and the two of them retreated underneath the cover of the trees.

"Ok, we're here now." She remarked, irritated. "What's the big deal? I'm Lieutenant Susan Watson, chief medical officer of the USS Odysseus. Captain Carl Nelson and Lieutenant-Commander Jiro Nomura just went over that ridge looking for the crash site."

"And they just left you here alone?" Brock asked in disbelief. He couldn't imagine two naval officers being so reckless with the life of a lady. Of course, after everything he'd been through on the island, Brock's default state of mind leaned somewhat towards guarded paranoia. Captain Nelson and Commander Jiro couldn't possibly know how dangerous Mondo Island was yet. Still, leaving a woman to fend for herself on a strange island didn't sit very well with him. "We need to get you back to your ship as soon as possible." Brock told Susan. "Send back a security detail in your place. This is no place for a lady, trust me." Susan looked a little troubled by that statement.

"Hold on, we need to wait for Captain Nelson and Commander Jiro to come back." Susan protested. Brock frowned; he couldn't help but think how stupid these officers were. Instead of sending an away team of expendable peons, the captain, the first officer, and chief medical officer set out on their own to explore a mysterious island where a whole shipload of soldiers had disappeared. He knew he should be grateful that they came at all, but Brock already wasn't very confident in the competence of his rescuers.

"I'll go find your men." Brock assured Susan. "But I'd feel a whole lot better if you were out of harm's way first." Susan glared at Brock, not fully appreciating the situation for what it was, or Brock's apparent attitude about women operating in the field.

"I'll have you know I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself mister." Susan scolded. She couldn't help but feel insulted. "I'd remind you, we are here to save your butt, not the other way around." She raised her voice, perhaps a little too much for Mondo Island. There was a horrid screech from above which cut into their conversation. The Giant Conder was gliding into the area.

"Damn…" Brock cursed quietly, giving Susan a side-eye glare as he readied his weapons. With just the one laser rifle, he didn't like their odds if they were spotted. Susan had wisely stopped talking and just gaped up into the sky, frightened. She was finally starting to grasp the danger lurking around them. Brock took Susan's arm and led her further into the trees, not taking any chances.

The Giant Condor circled the area, watching for any signs of moment. Susan saw it through the trees and began to understand why Brock was being so cautious. She'd never expected to see such a thing. Her concern then turned towards her crewmates. They were out there somewhere, potentially in peril themselves.

"Hey… big guy." Susan realized she hadn't learned Brock's name yet. "What about my comrades? They are sitting ducks out there." Brock turned to her and frowned. There probably wasn't much he would be able to do for Captain Nelson and Commander Jiro if they got spotted. It was harsh, but true. His weapons just weren't powerful enough to stop the Giant Condor. When Susan realized that Brock wasn't going to do anything, she decided to make a move herself. She bolted away from him through the tree line, wisely choosing to stay under cover.

"What is that damned woman doing?" Brock said to himself angerly, seeing no other choice but to go after her.

Even through the trees, the Giant Condor picked up on the movement below. He dove down and buzzed over the top of the jungle canopy. The force of his body mass displaced air, whipping the treetops back and forth. He spotted prey hiding beneath them. Brock could see that the jig was up. He immediately began firing his rifle up at the Condor. Maybe, just maybe, he could fend it off on his own, but he didn't think so. At the very least though, he could distract it from Susan. Draw the monster to himself instead of her.

Brock's plan worked only too well. The Giant Conder began to follow the bright bolts shooting up at him right down towards their source. Brock managed to score a couple of hits, but they didn't stop or even slow down the huge bird of prey. Brock drew his sword and prepared himself as best he could. He knew that he was dead, but if the Giant Condor picked him up in his talons, he could at least get a few good licks in. Maybe he could even hack off his foot. The resulting fall would probably kill Brock, but that was just how it was going to be. Brock took a deep breath in and watched as the Condor came down at him.

Brock, however, was spared his terrible fate when a stripped-down tree came sailing through the air like a javelin. It disrupted the Giant Condor's flight path and forced him to redirect away from the ground. Such an event could only mean one thing: King Kong was on the scene and looking for a fight. Brock couldn't see him, but he heard Kong's roar echo off in the distance.

Surprisingly, the Giant Condor didn't immediately beat a hasty retreat. Instead, it recovered from its dive and flew in towards Kong. From his perch on the crest of a hill, Kong also seemed surprised that the Condor was willing to engage him. The bird was perhaps only one-eighth his size. The Giant Condor was on top of Kong in an instant. Before he could even react. The enormous bird-of-prey landed on Kong's face and tore at him relentlessly with its talons, trying to gouge out his eyes. Kong reacted by bringing his hands up to shield his face from the worst of it while also trying to grab the Giant Condor.

The Condor backed away and everyone could see that Kong had been bloodied by the first assault. He had claw marks raked deep into his face. First blood went to the Condor. The enormous avian gave no quarter to Kong. Before he could recover, the Condor swung around again and dug his talons into the back of Kong's head. The bird of prey clamped down hard and perched there, pecking down on to Kong's forehead. He got three hard pecks in before Kong reached up for him. Sensing imminent danger, the Condor took flight again. The last thing he wanted was for King Kong to get his hands on him.

Kong was now good and angry. He had no intention of letting the Giant Condor have a third opportunity to inflict more damage. Kong took up a handful of rocks and threw them up towards his opponent. The rocks tore through the right wing of the Giant Condor, blasting away a number of his feathers like buckshot. The Condor was in real trouble. He couldn't maintain his altitude anymore. He flapped his wings frantically, but to no avail. He was sinking down towards the ground and Kong positioned himself to be there waiting for him.

Once the Giant Condor was low enough, Kong reached up and plucked him out of the sky. Kong seized his adversary by both wings, holding him out away from his body. As Kong had anticipated, the Giant Condor lashed out with his talons, attempting to slash at his exposed underbelly. Only he didn't have the reach to do so. Enraged, Kong roared right into the Condor's face and then used all of his strength to snap the bones of its left wing in half. Kong then flung the Giant Condor away from him into a grove of trees where it got hung up in the branches.

The Condor struggled at first, but with both of its wings damaged, it was trapped and had no avenue of escape. Kong was satisfied with that and turned to leave. He was willing to the Giant Condor die on its own from there, but then Kong hesitated. He sensed something in the air. The scent of a woman as it turned out. Brock and Susan might not be out of the woods yet after all. They may have just traded one threat for another. Kong, however, was still bleeding pretty badly from his face. Instead of investigating, he elected to move on to treat his wounds.

Kong withdrawing, the Giant Condor disabled, things were finally looking up. Brock wasn't quite done though. He saw an opportunity and he was going to take it. Brock aimed to finish what Kong had started. He was going to get some measure of revenge on the Giant Condor for killing his men and stranding him on Mondo Island. Brock made his way to the grove of trees where the bird of prey was trapped and readied his sword. He came in with a head of steam and cruel intentions on his mind, only when he reached the Condor's head, he hesitated. The giant bird was staring right at him, not fighting, or struggling. Brock could see that the Condor had been partially impaled by some of the tree branches it was resting on. The animal looked to be dying on its own already, but it was clearly in pain and suffering. Brock couldn't believe it, he actually felt sorry for it. For a moment, he wasn't sure what to do. Finally, in an act of mercy, he took his sword and ended it. Brock then turned to see that Susan had followed him there. She was fighting back tears.

"Alright, let's get you back to your ship now." Brock said quietly.

"Ok." Susan replied, making no more brash protests.

Less than an hour later, Captain Nelson and Commander Jiro returned to the beach. They had made contact with the other survivors at the camp and were guiding them towards the USS Odysseus. By the end of the morning, most of the men were safety inside the submarine. Brock knew there were a few missing, stragglers who were most likely still out foraging. Brock elected to go back to camp to collect them, along with the rest of the salvaged technology which remained buried there. If that equipment was left behind, all of their sacrifices would have been for nothing. Brock wouldn't have that.

Captain Nelson and Commander Jiro offered to go back with Brock, but he brushed them off and asked that they simply protect the other survivors while he was gone. Brock felt he could handle this on his own. The USS Odysseus was a very advanced submarine. It was much larger than standard U.S. subs in service at that point. The Odysseus was nearly as large a heavy-cruiser and it housed an experimental hovercraft they utilized to taxi men to and from the shore from the mothership.

There was a compartment on the aft dorsal side of the Odysseus that opened up and allowed the hovercraft to make quick excursions. Brock started to understand, at least in part, why Captain Nelson chose to go to the island himself. Being taxied around in the hovercraft was a pretty unique experience, and though Brock would never admit it, fairly fun. He was too focused on the task at hand to really enjoy it, however. Brock just wanted to retrieve the rest of his men and complete the mission. Everything about Mondo Island had well-worn out its welcome with him.

The hovercraft left the Odysseus and whizzed over the water without ever touching it. The vessel made a constant hissing noise which Brock assumed was related to the release of some type of gas which allowed the craft to hover. The vessel was soon across the bay and moving inland through the beach. The hovercraft made the transition from water to land seamlessly, which was a feat that even impressed Brock despite his sour disposition.

Within minutes, the hovercraft made it to camp, and to Brock's pleasant surprise, all of the missing men there their waiting for him, including Dr. Reinhart. It was quite a relief. He wouldn't have to go out looking for them individually now. A huge burden lifted off of Brock's shoulders. The other survivors were in awe at the sight of the hovercraft. Brock explained the situation to them, and they got to work packing up anything of value. The Hovercraft wasn't large enough to take all of the men and supplies back in one trip. The salvage was the first priority and then and many men as possible were packed into it for the first run.

In the end, only five men were left. Reinhart and Brock were among them. Neither of them wanted to leave any of their men behind. They sent the hovercraft back with the first load of men and supplies to the Odysseus and elected to wait for it to come back. The other remaining men were already exhausted from their day's excursions. They didn't want to start walking to the beach, so instead they sat around the campfire and talked. The men were in a jovial mood. Everybody was so happy that their nightmare mission was almost over. They laughed, they ate, they drank, indulging themselves since they no longer needed to ration anything. Brock on the other hand hadn't let his guard down. He still wore his armor and carried his weapons. Until they were safely away on the Odysseus, he wasn't taking any chances. Reinhart watched him, feeling more at ease himself, but well-understanding Brock's position. Both men had seen a lot on the island, and just as much beforehand.

Minutes rolled by while they waited for the hovercraft to return. Brock reflected on his time on the island. Had he done the right things as the group's leader? Was it his fault that so many had died? He didn't know. Those questions would follow him for a long time after leaving the island. Brock's inner thoughts were interrupted by the whooshing sound of the hovercraft returning. He was pleasantly surprised by how fast it had come back. Finally, it was all over. The burden of command could rest on someone else's shoulders.

The men all stood up and waited for the hovercraft to pull up next to them for pickup. Just then, off in the near distance, there was a rumbling. It was the sound of trees being felled. On the far side of the clearing, across from the crash site, Kong was marching out of the woods. He was sniffing the air, perhaps looking for the scent of Susan. His timing couldn't be any worse. Most of the men panicked and rushed towards the hovercraft, which had just come to a halt nearby. They crammed into the small craft frantically.

"Come on Brock!" Reinhart shouted as he noticed the big marine hadn't moved from his spot next to the campfire. "We can still make it!"

"No…" Brock shook his head. "…we can't." Kong had already spotted the hovercraft and was coming to investigate. Brock realized if they took off now, Kong would just follow them to the Odysseus. They'd never be able to get underway before he was on top of them. Brock pulled out his weapons and started to move towards Kong. Reinhart could see that there was no stopping him.

"Go!" He instructed the pilot. The hovercraft quickly sped away.

Brock fired his weapon repeatedly at Kong. The first few shots didn't register with him at all. His eyes were still focused on the hovercraft. It wasn't until Brock adjusted his aim towards Kong's face that the monster stopped and took notice. Brock managed to get a lucky shot into one of Kong's fresh wounds from the Condor. It stung him sharply. Kong stopped paying any attention to the retreating hovercraft and focused on Brock alone.

A cold chill ran down Brock's spine when Kong made direct eye contact with him. He'd gotten what he wanted, now he had to face down the consequences. Kong grimaced and advanced slowly on Brock, each thumping footstep bringing him closer. Brock shouldered his rifle and drew his sword. He didn't see any way out now. He was going to die, but at least it was going to be a good death. All he had to do now was buy as much time as possible for the others. Brock felt a little sick and started to sweat as the fifty-meter-tall Kong got within one hundred yards. He just hoped it would be fast when it came.

Kong wasn't sure what to make of Brock. He didn't understand what he was trying to accomplish. No man had ever stood his ground with him like this before. Any other time he'd approached a human, they had always fled at the mere sight of him. Why was this one different? Was this bravery or was he simply frozen with fear? Kong reached down to poke curiously at Brock with his finger. Brock swung his sword defensively, hitting only air.

Kong's lips rolled back into what appeared to be a sort of smile, but it exposed his teeth, including his sharp, elongated canines. The sight of those was immensely unsettling for Brock. He had visions of being gnashed between big ape's giant teeth. Kong hooted, amused, poking at Brock for a second time, waiting to see what he'd do. This wasn't going as planned for Brock. This wasn't turning out to be the dignified death he was expecting. He was just being toyed with. Still, it was buying precious time, nonetheless. That's what was important.

Kong's play time was interrupted by the sound of helicopter blades chopping through the air. Both he and Brock were confused by this. Had Archimedes displaced other warships to the island? The USS Odysseus certainly didn't have any patrol aircraft. Soon, an entire fleet of helicopters were invading the valley from all directions. There were dozens of them, and they had a very unusual design. Definitely not American made. They were a two-propped, heavy-duty chopper design. The color scheme of the helicopters was an odd mishmash of red and yellow. It didn't scream military and Brock had never seen anything like them before.

Kong instantly viewed the invaders as a threat, and he was correct to do so. The helicopters had bomb bay doors built into their bottoms and they meant to use them. The hatches opened up as the helicopters closed in. Just as they got overhead, the choppers began to drop bombs onto Kong's position. Brock ran as hard as he could to avoid being caught up in the blast zone. Kong was still standing right next to him.

The first bomb hit the ground and exploded, knocking Brock forward off of his feet. But there wasn't any fire or shrapnel. Instead, a dense fog of compressed gas shot out in every direction, engulfing the surrounding area. The gas seemed to be specifically designed to float up to around fifty meters in the air, around Kong's height. Brock held his breath until the gas had lifted out and away from him. None the less, when he did breath in, he got a whiff of the remaining residue and felt the effects. Brock suddenly felt dizzy and unsteady on his feet. It was some kind of knockout gas.

Kong did not take the attack sitting down. He uprooted a tree and cleverly used it to swipe the gas away from his face. He was partially successful with that method, but more bombs were dropped, each spreading even more gas into the area. Kong changed tactics and launched the tree at one of the helicopters. He connected with his shot and the helicopter fell out of the sky. Kong quickly repeated the process and took down a second chopper.

'He's getting to be pretty adept at throwing shit.' Brock thought to himself as he tried to escape the scene.

Unfortunately for Brock, the second chopper Kong destroyed still had its bomb inside when it crashed in front of him. The gas bomb went off, taking Brock by surprise. The cloud quickly overtook him, and he dropped to the ground immediately after inhaling the vapors. Kong wasn't fairing much better by that point. He'd destroyed two choppers, sure, but there were still so many more of them, and every time Kong was forced to take in a breath, the effects of the gas were accumulating more and more. He was starting to stagger and missing most of his projectile attacks, which were becoming less and less frequent. Kong had put up a valiant fight, but it was over. His drowsiness had reached terminal levels. He simply had no defense against a chemical attack like this. Kong dropped the tree he was holding and fell over in a heap.

The attacking helicopters dropped one final bomb and circled for a minute, ensuring that Kong wasn't just playing possum. Once their leadership felt confident Kong was really unconscious, the helicopters came in close to the ground in what looked like a well-choreographed maneuver. They dispelled the gas until it was all out of the immediate area. Then some of the choppers landed and their crews, wearing gas masks, disembarked to closely examine their quarry. The men wore black uniforms without any sort of identifying marks.

The rest of the helicopters spread out and began to lower steel clamps on steel cables in what looked like some sort of twisted version of the claw game. The men on the ground guided the clasps onto strategic areas of Kong's body, such as his arms and legs where they were secured to him. Dozens of huge barrage balloons were brought out of the cargo holds of the helicopters and they too were attached to Kong's body. It appeared that they were planning to air lift King Kong in the same manner the Japanese had done in Tokyo.

While that process was being completed, one of the men in black uniforms noticed Brock passed out nearby and brought it to his commander's attention. They both noted his strange weapons and armor. The officer had two of his men grab Brock by the shoulders and take him along with them as well. Kong and Brock were both prisoners of these men now, whoever they were. Before long, Kong had been secured and the fleet of helicopters began to lift him up off of the ground. Reinhart and the hovercraft, along with Captain Nelson came back looking for Brock during the final stages of the process and witnessed Kong being abducted. They were taken aback by the scale of it. The similarity of the method wasn't lost on them.

"Somebody was definitely paying attention in Tokyo." Reinhart noted ominously to Nelson.

Reinhart and Captain Nelson sped around the camp and didn't find any trace of Brock. They quickly came to the conclusion that either Kong ate Brock during their confrontation, or perhaps, just perhaps he'd been taken away with Kong by these unknown assailants. Either way, the next best thing they could do is try to ascertain who these people were and what they wanted with Kong. They followed the slow-moving air fleet as best they could through the jungle and to the sea.

Once there, Reinhart and Nelson saw two huge ships waiting offshore. One of them was a modified oil tanker which had been converted into a makeshift aircraft carrier to transport the fleet of helicopters. The other was a massive freighter with one enormous, customized cargo hold. The colossal doors on the deck opened up and Kong was lowered inside the ship. It was an oddly a good fit. Either it had been specifically designed for Kong's measurements, or something of similar dimensions. It was too precise to be a coincidence. One by one, the helicopters detached their lines and began landing on their carrier. Once each of them had completed their task, the ballons attached to Kong were cut loose and floated away.

With their mission accomplished, both ships prepared to move away from Mondo Island. Reinhart and Captain Nelson watched them just long enough to be certain of their heading before getting the hovercraft into gear and moving back towards the USS Odysseus. They aimed to track these unknown vessels back to their home port and try to determine their intensions. What could these men possibly want with Kong? And why would they kidnap Brock? Both urgent questions that needed answers. They had certainly gone to an awful lot of trouble.

On the way back to the Odysseus, the hovercraft passed through the survivor's old fishing grounds and picked up a tail. The Sea Serpent was very interested in finding out what was inside of the pod. Reinhart immediately noticed it following them and recognized the danger it posed. He quickly informed Captain Nelson of the impending threat. The hovercraft was fast, but the Sea Serpent was just a little faster. The monster was slowly closing in on them. If they did nothing, it would reach them before they could make it to the safety of the Odysseus.

Captain Nelson instantly came up with a plan. He contacted Commander Jiro on board the Odysseus and ordered him to launch a full spread of torpedoes at their position. Jiro didn't understand, but he didn't argue either. He followed his orders, quickly maneuvering the Odysseus into firing position and then launched the torpedoes.

"Fish in the water!" Jiro reported over the radio to Nelson.

Captain Nelson saw torpedo trails forming in the water a couple hundred yards out ahead of them and corrected the hovercraft's course to ensure they that were in the path of them. The Sea Serpent stayed right on them and did not see the danger coming until it was already too late. The torpedoes passed harmlessly under the hovercraft, but the Sea Serpent took one of them directly to the face. The torpedo exploded right inside his mouth. Reinhart was watching the whole thing and he saw a huge gush of red water. Half of the monster's face had been blown off. Just a second later, blood and seawater rained down onto the hovercraft.

The Sea Serpent's corpse sank beneath the waves, never to bother anyone ever again. Reinhart hoped that Brock was still alive so he could tell him about it. He'd be happy to hear that the sailors had finally been avenged.

Days later, the USS Odysseus was still quietly following the pair of unmarked vessels that had taken Kong. They had not changed course since starting their journey. The Odysseus was much faster than the modified civilian craft and had no trouble catching up to them. The enemy ships did not appear to have sonar or any other method of detecting the submarine whatsoever. Whoever had modified the ships for the purpose of capturing Kong apparently had not foreseen the need to ensure they weren't being shadowed.

Even if the crews of the tanker and freighter did realize they were being followed by a submarine, there was no indication they'd be able to do anything about it. The merchant ships did not appear to have any offensive weapons of their own and it was unclear if their helicopters were capable of dropping depth charges. The Odysseus stayed with them at a safe distance and kept Archimedes HQ informed of every development. Admiral Malek at HQ was very interested in these developments, and informed Captain Nelson that he was dispatching additional warships to support them.

After many more days of sailing north, the merchant ships seemed to arrive at their destination. They had reached a patch of artic islands and were breaking their way through surface ice. Below the waves, the Odysseus didn't have to worry about such things, but they were constantly on the lookout for icebergs. The two merchantmen stopped their engines and dropped anchor. The Odysseus came up to periscope depth to see what was happening. As it turned out, the ships were preparing to move Kong from the cargo ship to some installation onshore. Captain Nelson could see lights twinkling off in the snowy distance.

"Thank god, we're damned near at the north pole." Captain Nelson grumbled; the journey had been quite long. "I just about guessed that Santa Claus was going to be behind all of this." He jested, getting a small round of laughs from his bridge crew. Captain Nelson could see the helicopters beginning to repeat the procedure to lift Kong up and out of the cargo ship.

"What do we do now captain?" Commander Jiro asked.

"Well, I think we need to get a little closer to this base." Nelson answered. "Scope out their defenses and try to get an idea of what we are dealing with before we go barreling in there, guns blazing. We have superior firepower enroute. It might be wise to wait for them to arrive. In the meantime, we can send out some scout groups to get the lay of the land. You ready to stretch your legs a bit commander?"

"Yes sir!" Jiro replied.

Brock came to with a black bag over his head. He couldn't see much, but he could tell he was on a helicopter mid-flight. He'd been on enough of them to know the feeling quite well and the sound was unmistakable. He tried not to move too much. He didn't want his captors to realize he was awake just yet. The front of Brock's mask was meshed up right against his face. There was an opportunity. Brock's hands were shackled behind his back, but he realized he was positioned right next to the window. Brock slumped over to it, holding a portion of the fabric against it. Then he reached out with his tongue and pulled a bit of the cloth towards his teeth. Brock bit down hard and wrenched the fabric slowly until he could hear the stitching at the top of the hood begin to tear. Suddenly, he had a little sliver of vision. Brock stopped there. If he tore the mask any more than that, it could be noticeable. He just wanted to have some idea of where he was.

"Almost there." Brock heard one of his captors say in English. He looked out the window and saw a snowy plain.

'Where the hell am I?' Brock thought perplexed. This was quite the switch from the tropical jungle of Mondo Island. His first instinct was that he was somewhere in Russia, but if that was the case, why was his guard speaking perfect English? Brock looked out and saw that the chopper was landing inside of a snow-covered bunker. Once the helicopter had settled on the platform, he could feel it moving downwards. Brock looked out to see the walls moving by. They were on a giant elevator. The hanger ceiling above was closing up. 'Good.' Brock thought. He'd been stripped down to just his pants and he didn't fancy walking outside in the snow being so exposed. Before long, the elevator stopped.

"Ok, get the prisoner on his feet." Brock heard one of the men on the chopper say. He could hear someone coming towards him and then his shoulder got shaken vigorously.

"Come on, wake up." He felt the man's arm start to pull him up to his feet. Brock kept quiet and pretended to still be out of it, but he walked with the man. The rip in his hood was on the opposite side, so he couldn't see the man's face. They stepped out of the helicopter, which was a bit of a challenge for Brock without being able to see where he was going. Then he was led down a dark corridor. The air in the tunnel was still cold from the hanger doors having been left open for so long, but it was getting warmer as they walked.

Before long, Brock and his guide came into another huge room. Brock could see that the ceiling was at least sixty meters high. Brock's escort stopped to let a vehicle of some sort pass ahead of them. It felt like they were in another hanger of some sort. Since they were stationary, Brock had a better chance to look around, though he had to turn his shoulders to do so. The first thing Brock laid his eyes on was stunning. He glimpsed the face of a huge mechanical monster. It had silver skin and its features vaguely resembled that of King Kong. The longer Brock looked at it, the more similarities he noticed. The body was built in almost exact proportions. The vehicle had passed, and Brock was forced to move on again, still not sure what he had just seen.

"So, this is our special prisoner." Brock heard a voice coming from the side.

"Yes, Doctor." Brock's escort replied. "We found him on the battlefield near Kong." Brock could see the man approaching out of the side of his hood. The character walking towards them had a very sinister look about him. He wore an all-black ensemble, complete with a long out-of-fashion cape. He had Einstein-like grey hair, sharp eyebrows, and a menacing smirk. The most off-putting thing about him though was his teeth. The man looked like he enjoyed chewing on charcoal. Many of his teeth were blackened and broken in the back. His mouth hung open widely while he spoke, making noticing them entirely unavoidable. One thing was quite plain to Brock, this man was an eccentric.

"Good, take him to a cell so we can start processing him." The doctor ordered.

Over the next few hours, Brock was interrogated by his kidnappers, but he didn't say a single word to them. He recognized that he needed to play for time. Brock deduced that he'd be killed once they'd gotten all the information they could out of him. As a grunt, he held no real value as a hostage. Interestingly though, Brock's captors didn't seem to have much of a clue as to who he really was. They certainly had no idea that he was an American. That much was obvious. They tried to speak to him in several other languages before even trying English.

As Brock's captors had found him in the armor of a soldier from the derelict ship, they assumed he was a survivor of the crash. Suddenly, Brock's value as a hostage went up dramatically. He realized they couldn't risk killing him. There was way too much information he could theoretically share with them. At that point, Brock's unwillingness to respond was probably being interpreted as an inability to respond. A simple language barrier. As long as Brock could keep up the charade, he was safe.

Over and over again, the men in black tried to engage Brock in conversation in at least three-dozen different languages. He could tell that the interrogators were really starting to get frustrated. They must have been running out of languages to try. They didn't seem to be experts in linguistics. Eventually, the interrogators resorted to drawing pictures before finally giving up.

After a long session, Brock was taken to what he figured was a cell. It was dark inside. The chair was surprisingly cushy though. Perhaps his captors just weren't used to visitors at the base and were forced to improvise. Unexpectedly, the lights flickered on. Someone else was inside the room with Brock and he could hear them moving around. He couldn't see them, but he could tell that it wasn't a man. Brock could smell the sweet perfume of a woman. Through the slit in the bag, Brock could see what appeared to be fancy wallpaper. He was suddenly very confused. Had they drugged him?

A nimble finger found its way into the tear Brock had made in his hood. Whoever was out there, they had immediately picked up on the fact that Brock had made a hole and could see out of it. The woman grasped the bag and pulled it all the way free from Brock's face. For the first time in a long time, he could see the world around him in its entirety. The light bothered Brock at first, but he quickly adjusted. It looked as though he was in a fancy apartment decorated by a stylish lady. There were exotic plants, expensive paintings, and marble statues. All pointing to one thing: Whoever lived there had a lot of money backing them up. Soon Brock saw his host. She was an extremely attractive Asian woman wearing a flowing black silk dress. She was pouring Brock a drink. What appeared to be an expensive brand of brandy. She came over holding a glass for each of them.

"Oh, how silly of me, I forgot." The woman casually set the drinks down on the coffee table in front of Brock and then went around behind the couch he was sitting on. She gentility encouraged Brock to lean forward and produced a key with which to unlock his shackles. "There, much better."

Brock looked around the room. The two of them were seemingly alone. He was amazed that this woman felt secure enough to be around him by herself while he was completely unrestrained. She might be a woman, but she had big brass balls hiding underneath her dress. The woman came back around and offered Brock a glass. He didn't immediately take it. In part, keeping up the act of not understanding and, in part, not trusting that the liquor had been dosed with something. The mystery woman understood his position and instantly took a good long sip out of each glass. Brock just watched her for a moment, trying to decide if she was clever enough to have dosed both glasses. As long as it wasn't poison, she might be willing to suffer the effects of a drug, just so long as he did too.

"Oh, so very cautious." The woman noted with a smirk. "Very good… I can tell I'm not dealing with an idiot." She sat down next to Brock. Again, very bold of her considering his hands were now free. She was apparently very certain that he wouldn't immediately attack her. As it turned out, she was right. She just sat there patiently for a few moments, continuing to sip at her brandy. She was surprising self-confident for an Asian woman. She lacked all of the typical shyness and modesty that Brock had come to expect. He tended to intimidate most of the men he came across, let alone women. This lady didn't seem a bit bothered by him. After a while, she leaned forward and offered him the cup for a second time. "That's long enough to buy me a little trust I hope?"

Brock accepted the glass and took a sip because he was in fact awfully thirsty. His captors hadn't given him anything since they'd arrived at the base.

"That a boy..." The woman smiled. "You can stop pretending by the way. I'm not as stupid as the rest of them here. I know you're not who you appear to be." She said confidently. "I lived in America for several years. I know a Yank when I see one." She smirked in a flirty sort of way. Brock did not react. He was not trusting this strange woman, charming as she might be. "Oh, don't worry, we are not being monitored in here. You can speak freely." She offered. "I don't plan to tell them who you really are. It can be our little secret for now. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are a member of the Archimedes organization." Brock was a little shook when she mentioned that. He had no idea what gave him away. "You don't have to tell me your name. It's not vital at this juncture anyways." She went on. "I would like to talk to you though. So, to get the ball rolling, how about I tell you something you'd like to know, and then you can tell me something I'd like to know?"

Brock did not reply, continuing to keep up the act.

"That's ok, I was planning to go first anyways." She continued undeterred. "First, an introduction. My name is Mia, but I'm more often referred to by my codename, Madame Piranha. But you don't have to call me that. In fact, I'd prefer that you didn't. I've always found it to be a little… distasteful. Looks like you are getting a little low, let me get you some more." She noted that Brock's glass was nearly empty.

Madame Piranha took his glass and rose, going back to the kitchen to retrieve the bottle. As she was walking, she glanced back at Brock and managed to step on her silk dress. She tripped, falling forward, and went down in a heap. She knocked over a vase that was sitting on the end table and it broke against the tile floor along with the crystal glass she'd been carrying. Brock jumped up to his feet and ran over to check on her. It appeared that she had hit her head and cut herself on the glass. He could see blood.

"Are you ok?!" Brock asked concerned. He went into the kitchen and grabbed a towel and began to wet it in the sink. When he turned around, Madame Piranha was back on her feet and smiling at him.

"Got ya." She said with a charming smirk and a wink, producing a small vial of red liquid she'd use to fake the blood. "I'll take that towel though. This red ink is going to be murder on the carpet if I let it set in." She crouched down to get a better look. "Damn, I tried to keep it all on the tile." Brock felt very stupid, he had just been played. All of it had been an act. She'd managed to lure him into talking by appealing to his sense of duty. Clever of her. "Oh, don't look so glum. I told you, I don't plan to tell anybody." She reassured him. "I just needed to… break the ice, so to speak. Hand me the towel please and go sit and relax. Once I get this taken care of, we'll have lots to talk about." Instead of sitting, Brock knelt down and started to help her clean the carpet quietly. "And a gentleman to boot… I really scored big with you, didn't I?"

"I suppose you did at that." Brock finally dropped the act. The game was over.

Within moments, the pair were back on the couch with their alcohol.

"I know you think that you're a dead man right now, but you're not." Piranha assured Brock. "Your situation is much better than you think. I've been on the level with you this whole time, well, aside from that little stunt I just pulled. But that was necessary to get you to open your yap. Now that your secret is out, and you can see that you're not being tackled by an army of armed guards, maybe you're feeling a little more open to discussion? What were you doing on Mondo island? You can tell me that much."

"We were sent to investigate a crashed ship there." Brock replied. He didn't see any risk in giving up that information. "It contained advanced technology."

"Oh… I get it now." Piranha replied. "You found one of their ships." She said knowingly.

"You know who they are…?" Brock asked, surprised.

"Yeah… I do." Piranha answered. "They're my worst enemies…" She noted ominously. "That would explain how you got your hands on some of their gear. Would you like to know who they are?"

"Definitely." Brock responded.

"Well, just so you know that I'm actually a credible source, I'm a high-ranking agent of the Red Bamboo Organization." She began. "I'm positive you're familiar with us. Sadly, I'm one of the few survivors at this point. The bastards you encountered on Mondo Island are responsible for that. For the longest time, we weren't exactly sure who they were. For a time, we actually thought they were part of your group. Later, much too late, we figured out that they weren't. That was only after they had smashed their way through most of our bases. We did get something in return out of it though. In China, we captured one of them during their last raid. Part of a building fell on him, one of their soldiers."

"Pretty shocked to find out they're human, huh?" Brock speculated.

"Yeah, that was quite the surprise." She admitted. "We all figured aliens until we saw him."

"You saw him yourself then." Brock surmised. "That's how you were able to determine that I was not one of them."

"Clever boy…" Piranha replied, impressed by his deduction. "What's your name by the way? I think we've gotten to the point where that is relevant now." She smiled at him.

"It's Brock." He answered.

"Nice to make your acquaintance Brock." She gracefully took his hand and shook it. "Anyways, their soldier got left behind, presumed dead by his people. We learned a lot of things from him. First, they're not all part of one big empire. Second, they come from the ocean floor. They're actually a lot like us surface dwellers." She took a sip of her brandy. "There are various factions and alliances, but there is one thing that unites them all. Fear. Fear of us. They're afraid of the weapons we are developing. Nuclear Weapons and Oxygen Destroyers, they're terrified of them. And rightfully so if you ask me. Against such a threat, they're all willing to work together. The strongest faction among them is called the Empire of Mu. They are the ones primarily responsible for the attacks all around the world. They either pulled off the attacks themselves or pressured other smaller factions to do it for them."

"Which other attacks are you referring to?" Brock asked curiously.

"The Monster ones mostly." Piranha replied. "Best we figure, they've found a way to gain control over several Kaiju. Manda and Gezora for sure. Mu controls Manada directly. He's like their Capitol's guardian monster. We think Gezora belongs to a separate faction in the Mediterranean. Each faction controls at least one monster. Gezora's attack was in response to a depth charge test performed nearby one of their settlements by the Italian navy. Gezora's attack on Taranto was meant to destroy the Neptune depth charges, which were able to threaten their underwater communities. The bombing at the Japanese naval base was carried out for similar reasons, but by one of their agents, not by a monster. They don't want anyone developing those types of weapons. A portion of their fleet also destroyed the Italian's when they got too close to one of their settlements looking for Gezora."

"How could they control a kaiju?" Brock asked.

"We suspect they control them in a manner similar to how we do." Piranha answered. "The scientist I'm working with here, Dr. Who, has created a new form of hypnosis. It involves a control chip implanted into the subject's ear canal. From there, we can transmit instructions. What they are using is most likely a more advanced version of the same technology. Or something very similar to it."

"Why did you seize Kong, to fight these Undersea peoples?" Brock inquired.

"No, it's for something much less conventional than all that." Piranha answered. "The idea of my foolish scientific partner, Who. He wants to use Kong to mine a highly radioactive rock he refers to as Element-X. It has a more scientific name, but I don't recall what it is at this moment. It puts out brilliant amounts of light. Almost looks like diamond, but even more sparkly. It's quite pretty, but it'll kill you quite fast too. No one can get near it. Dr. Who built a Robo for that purpose, but it failed, like everything he touches." She added contemptuously.

"I saw that robot as they brought me in." Brock noted. "Seems like a lot of effort for nothing."

"Tell me about it." Madame Piranha agreed. "My superiors back home are furious about it. Dr. Who built that thing on our dime, but it can't withstand the intense about of radiation Element-X puts out. The robot malfunctioned and collapsed in the tunnel while trying to extract the material. Its circuits simply couldn't handle the interference put off by the intense radiation, as well as the magnetic field. It's a miracle they were able to get it back out of the tunnel again."

"What other monsters do you think are theirs? Brock asked, bringing the conversation back around to the sea peoples.

"The Lorde Howe monster was one of Mu's." Piranha replied. "But he was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer. That really opened up a can of worms. The deploying Oxygen Destroyer must have been a big redline for them. After that, they perceived the Red Bamboo as such a grave threat that they were willing to openly move against us with their warships and ground troops, dropping their routine tactic of subterfuge in favor of more direct military action. They risked being identified, exposing themselves to the world by in large. A thing that was unthinkable to them up until that point. Your organization saw the results of their wrath firsthand at our remote airbase installation. But that was far from everything they did to us. They hit us everywhere. Even regular Chinese merchant ships weren't safe. The set their fleet about attacking and obliterating every ship they could find. Only Mothra's intervention seemed to calm them down. They have kind of a special history with her. We're not entirely clear what their relationship is yet though."

"What about Godzilla?" Brock asked. "Do they control him as well?"

"It's possible he is under their control, but we don't think so." Piranha answered. "While it's true that Godzilla destroyed our primary nuclear research facility, we think he did that all of his own volition."

"How can you be sure?" Brock pressed.

"Because the amount of radiation Godzilla naturally produces is more than enough to disrupt the electronics of implanted control devices." Piranha pointed out. "That's the very reason we've had so much difficulty in securing Element-X. Not only has it disrupted our command signals to our mechanical version of Kong, but also to the real Mccoy. The earpieces we put in him can't hold up under strain of the interference. It's annoyed Dr. Who to no end, the material is always just beyond his grasp."

"You seem to be getting a somewhat perverse satisfaction from that." Brock noted.

"Oh, I do." She admitted. "Dr. Who's incompetence has finally caught up with him. In any case, for that reason, as well as Godzilla seeming to have his own obvious motivations to attack nuclear sites, we doubt he's under anyone's control. He's just doing what is natural for him to do."

"Why are you telling me all of this?" Brock asked. "Isn't it going to piss off your boss?" Madame Piranha chuckled amused at such a notion.

"I don't have to worry about Dr. Who." Piranha said as she recovered. "And neither do you. I don't work for him. He works for me. The good doctor is the one who has to worry about keeping me happy, not the other way around. Dr. Who is not one of my countrymen, and he's not part of the Red Bamboo. We just fund his research. Since Godzilla knocked out our nuclear base, it's been my job to restart the program. Element-X would not only allow us to catch up but surpass everybody else in the arm's race. It is a building block to more powerful types of nuclear weapons. It has the potential to give us unparalleled nuclear dominance. But that's looking less and less likely. I have no faith that Dr. Who can deliver on his promises now. Taking Kong was his last-ditch effort, something he resorted to out of desperation. Since that has failed, he's pretty much finished. But to your larger point, he's assuming you're going to be dead by the time this is all over. So, he doesn't particularly care what I tell you between now and then."

"And are you…?" Brock asked. "…going to kill me?"

"I have no such plans." Piranha replied. "In fact, I have alternate proposal. Something mutually beneficial that I'm ready to discuss with you. Before that though, did you have any other questions for me?"

"These ocean dwellers, they were fighting Battra recently, do you know what is that all about?" Brock inquired.

"Your people were at the Temple of Mothra, so I'm certain you have some idea about this already." Piranha began. "But legend has it that Battra was created by the Earth's own life force to counter the machinations of the first advanced human civilization. They were the ancestors of the Mu Empire, Atlanteans, Seatopians, and even us. Their society had developed a powerful weather control device which was perceived as a threat to all life on the planet. Battra was sent to destroy it. When he did, the earth was flooded as a result. Ninety-five percent of the world's population was swallowed up in the great flood. Those who survived either lived in the highest mountains or in underwater colonies. The people in the mountains were our ancestors and they were forced to start civilization over from scratch. Those who lived in the colonies were the ancestors of these sea-peoples. They managed to retain some level of their technology, which is why they are ahead of us now. Battra scoured the Earth looking for them after the flood, but in his Imago form, he couldn't follow them beneath the waves. Eventually Mothra intervened, stopping Battra's rampage and defeating him."

"If that's all true, why didn't the sea peoples return to the surface at that point?" Brock asked.

"For a long time afterwards, they were too afraid to return to the surface." Piranha answered. "They were fearful that Battra would return for them if they did. Under the water, they could hide from him indefinitely. Even now, with all their advanced weapons and monsters, they're still struggling to fight Battra on equal terms, and he's only in his Larva form at this point. Once he's transformed, he'll be even more dangerous. The Kingdom of Mu is the strongest and most belligerent of the undersea factions, but they've been weakened. The loss of an entire battlefleet to Battra and a monster being lost to the Oxygen Destroyer has put them at a major disadvantage. Those losses can't just be replaced. Also, their pride and joy, Manda is wounded, recovering from his fight with Battra. This gives the other undersea powers an opportunity to flex their political strength. Things could get interesting…"

Brock and Madame Piranha's conversation was cut short by a rumble, followed by a flickering of the lights, and finally a crash which shook the entire facility.

"What the hell was that?" Brock asked alarmed.

"Another one of Dr. Who's failures, no doubt." Piranha said sarcastically, trying to sound calm, but a slight trembling in her voice betrayed her legitimate concern.

After a moment, four of Dr. Who's guards burst into the room, intent on returning Brock to his cell. Judging by the look on their faces, something was awfully wrong. Brock turned to Madame Piranha, expecting that she'd give him away for who he was on the spot, but she was oddly silent. She just gave Brock a knowing smirk and watched quietly as the guards lead him away. She gave no indication that they'd just had a full-fledged conversation.

Elsewhere in the complex, Kong was trying to tear his way out of his cage. He'd come out of his hypnotic trance and was dead set on escaping. He grasped the huge metal bars of his cell and pulled at them with all of his strength. The metal bent but did not break. The doorframe on the other hand wasn't holding up so well. Kong's constant pounding was not only loosening the hinges, but also destabilizing the stone walls and roof of the entire section around him.

In a last-ditch effort to stop Kong, Dr. Who had his men lower a flashing mechanical orb that was meant to loll him back into a hypnotic trance. The shiny, flashing lights of the apparatus caught Kong's attention for a moment, but he quickly covered his eyes. He'd learned from his earlier mistake and realized how treacherous pretty little bobble was.

Kong realized that he still had an earpiece in each of his ears when Dr. Who tried to transmit orders to him. The electronic impulses were being sent to inhibit his aggressive behavior. Before they could work though, Kong pulled each device out and shattered them against the stone wall of the cave. Then he resumed working on the doorframe, struggling to knock it down. The walls within the mine finally started to give way. Rock, soil, and snow began to pour into the tunnel Kong occupied. Within seconds, Kong was half-buried in debris. He'd caved in a significant portion of the base. However, after all was said and done, Kong could see that the ceiling had opened up and light was shining through it. It offered Kong the freedom he so desperately needed to taste again.

Kong pulled himself free from the rock and snow and climbed out of the pit he'd made. Once he reached the surface, Kong was more than a little shocked to discover the icy landscape that surrounded him. He glanced around puzzled, not sure where he was or which way he should go. He wasn't used to the chill in the air, but his heavy fur coat kept him warm enough. Kong picked a direction and started moving. He correctly assumed that he was going to be pursued before long.

Down below, Dr. Who was furiously giving out orders to his men to send up his mechanical monster to retrieve Kong. All of his hopes for a future relied on recapturing Kong and creating a stronger control device which would allow him to mine Element-X. If King Kong escaped, he was as good as dead. The Red Bamboo or the regular Chinese government would hunt him down like a dog.

Soon enough, Kong heard a noise behind him. He turned to see Mechani-Kong rising up out of an industrial-sized elevator hidden in one of the base's many hangers. Kong did not like the look of him. After pausing only for a moment, Kong continued to retreat. Behind him, Mechani-Kong started to receive electronic instructions and began moving after him.

Not far from the base, Kong saw just what he was hoping to find, the coastline. Though the waters were frigid and unappealing, they put true freedom within Kong's reach. The ocean was his best avenue of escape. Kong didn't think his metal counterpart would perform well in the water. He'd either short-circuit or sink to the bottom. There was something else nearby the coast though. Amongst the artic peaks, Kong saw a gigantic, walrus-like Kaiju just sitting right by the water. It was blocking Kong's path.

The walrus monster spotted Kong approaching, and then Mechani-Kong coming up behind him. He quickly decided he did not want any part of either of them. He slipped off of his perch and into the water. Kong stopped for a moment, startled by the sudden movement. He anticipated an attack and braced himself for it. It never came though. Waiting to see what the Walrus kaiju was doing in the water turned out to be a major mistake. Kong suddenly got the sense that something bad was coming his way from behind. He looked back just in time to see a huge hunk of ice hurdling at his head. Kong tried to move out of the way, but it was already too late. The piece of glacier struck him in the shoulder and he went down hard. The successful attack gave Mechani-Kong just the opening he needed to catch up. Running away was no longer an option for Kong. He had to confront the machine enemy that was rapidly bearing down on him. Kong stood up and turned to square off with his silver doppelganger.

Mechani-Kong made the first move, commencing his assault by using flood lights built into his eye ports to flash and blind Kong. A ruthless and unfair tactic, but Mechani-Kong had no intention of fighting fairly. He had no pride or honor to satisfy. No ego to bruise by cheating. His onboard computer couldn't even understand those concepts. He just needed to win. For it, Kong was simply a target to pacify as Dr. Who directed. To that end, it hoped to end the fight in the opening moves before either he or Kong were unduly damaged. If Kong was crippled during the fight, he wouldn't be any use to them. Fortunately for Mechani-Kong, Dr. Who had installed a hypnosis node on top of his head to make the job easier. While Kong was recovering from being blinded by the lights, Mechani-Kong activated the module.

Kong's vision came back just in time to see the flickering lights in front of him. Understating his opponent's strategy, Kong quickly reached down and found a boulder. He used the rock to smash the node atop Mechani-Kong's head before it could have any effect on him. The module shattered and sparked as Kong crushed it. Mechani-Kong instantly counterpunched and knocked Kong on his butt. Kong was stunned for a moment. Mechani-Kong's steel fist hit him like forty-tons of bricks. He really packed a wallop.

Mechani-Kong came forward and tried to tackle Kong, but Kong reacted just in time and Mechani-Kong missed him entirely, somersaulting forward onto its back. Mechani-Kong could hit harder, but King Kong was still faster. None the less, Kong was facing an uphill battle. Mechani-Kong was stronger, more durable, and would never tire out. Kong received a lesson in that strength when he locked hands with Mechani-Kong. Each of them tried to overwhelm the other. For a few moments, it seemed as though they were evenly matched, but over time, the robot was able to overpower Kong by outlasting him. Mechani-Kong simply did not have muscles that would falter when overtaxed, and Kong did.

Kong let go when it was clear that he couldn't win the test of strength. Instead, he used his speed to get around behind Mechani-Kong and put the metallic behemoth into a waist lock. Kong stayed there for a moment, taking the time to think over his next move. Mechani-Kong wasn't immediately able to counter him. His advantage in strength had been negated by superior positioning. Kong decided to lift the robot up off his feet and then threw him into a nearby frozen mountainside.

Upon impact, many tons of snow and ice fell upon Mechani-Kong in a cascading avalanche. The robot was buried beneath it. For a minute, it looked as though King Kong had prevailed over his automated counterpart. However, Mechani-Kong soon powered its way free, much like Kong had done earlier. With that, Kong's thoughts of an easy victory melted away.

Below in the base, Brock had been returned to his cell. He sat listening to the rumblings of battle above. The action had moved far enough away from the base to where there was no longer any danger of the rest of the roof collapsing, but Brock could still feel the tremors when a hit was landed. Most of the base's garrison was preoccupied with the ongoing fight. Their fleet of helicopters were being prepared for takeoff. The choppers were being loaded up with more knockout gas to subdue Kong with. It was a sound tactical move since Mechani-Kong would be completely unaffected by it while Kong had been proven to be quite susceptible to it.

As most of the base personnel were occupied, there was only one guard posted to keep an eye on Brock. Brock figured this was his time to act. He could use the confusion of the emergency to escape his cell and hopefully find a way to flee from there. Perhaps he could hijack one of the helicopters. Just as Brock was starting to formulate a plan, Madame Piranha entered the cellblock. Her presence would complicate things. She was quite the clever woman. Any scenario Brock might concoct to trick the guard she'd see right through. Piranha smirked at Brock as she approached his cell and took stock of the situation. The guard stood up to greet her, but instead of a warm reception, she pulled out a pistol with a silencer and plugged the man twice in the chest, taking both him and Brock completely by surprise.

"What is the meaning of this?" Brock asked, uncertain of Piranha's intentions. She still had her gun out.

"Relax, if I wanted you dead, I wouldn't have waited this long." She assured him. "I thought you were a smart enough guy to recognize a rescue. It can't be lost on you that this is an ideal opportunity to escape. I have my own private plane here. It's ready and waiting in one of the nearby hangers. If we are swift, we can be gone before anyone even realizes anything happened."

"Why should I trust you?" Brock asked suspiciously. "Would I really be better off in Chinese hands than this lot?"

"We wouldn't be going to my country." Piranha began to explain. "We'd be going to yours. I wish to defect to the United States. Your Archimedes organization specifically. I could be very useful in providing sensitive intelligence to your superiors and I'd be an excellent field agent. However, I suspect it would go a long ways if I had a friend on the inside to advocate on my behalf. I'd like you to be that friend." Brock was genuinely surprised. "As a show of good faith, I've brought documents to prove everything I told you earlier, and more. I have the blueprints for Dr. Who's robot. For an organization that fights against Kaiju, having the ability to build your version of Mechani-Kong could come in handy, right? All you have to do to make that happen is say yes."

"Why are you so eager to turn your back on your countrymen?" Brock asked skeptically, believing the deal sounded too good to be true.

"As I told you, my organization has been gutted by the Kingdom of Mu." Piranha explained. "The Chinese government is blaming us few remaining Red Bamboo officers for the many catastrophes that befell our organization. It's true, there have been so many lost opportunities and outright failures. We're on the threshold of another one even now. With what is going on above us, the Red Bamboo is all but certain to be disbanded. And in this case, I'm personally responsible for it. Dr. Who was my assignment. I alone am to blame. I messaged my direct superior, the first commander of the Red Bamboo, and told him the mission to obtain Element-X was turning into another fiasco due to Dr. Who's incompetence. I asked him for instructions. He told me that the leadership of our organization would likely face execution if we failed in this. He is my closest friend, so he advised me to get out if I could." Piranha started to get emotional. "It's actually pretty lucky that I'm stationed so far away. They can't reach me right away here. He's not going to be so lucky." Piranha seemed genuinely saddened by that fact. She wiped away a tear. "So you see, my government betrayed me first." She started to regain her composure. If what she was saying was true, her back was up against the wall. Her whole life was turning upside down. "I know the reputation of your commanding officer, Malek. He doesn't treat prisoners well, but a defector with valuable information for him to exploit…? That might be a different story."

"Yes, that could change things." Brock agreed. "He's very ambitious. With what you are bringing to the table, he might just hear you out." He stood there for a moment, considering everything she said. "Alright, I'll do what I can to help you Madame Piranha."

"Good, let's go then." She took the keys off of the dead guard and briskly unlocked Brock's cell. "And call me Mia from now on. I've never been Madame Piranha, and I'm certainly not now."

"Sure thing, Mia." Brock took the dead guard's sidearm off his body. "Lead the way."

Brock and Mia swiftly exited the cellblock. She took the lead as Brock suggested. If the two of them ran into any more guards, they wouldn't immediately see her as a threat. For that reason, she entered every room first and waved Brock in once she determined it was clear. Eventually, they did run into one of Dr. Who's men, but they made short work of him. Mia got his attention while Brock got behind him and then snapped his neck. Mia was startled, but also a little impressed at just how easily Brock was able to do it. His extended stay on Mondo Island had done nothing to diminish his strength.

After traversing another empty corridor, Brock and Mia were nearly home free. Mia's plane was in the hanger just down the next passageway. However, they ran into a rather serious problem. At some point during the battle above, the section of hallway ahead of them had collapsed. It was completely caved in. There was no getting through there.

"Shit… is there another way around?" Brock asked.

"No, not without going to the surface first." Mia answered. "We'd have to fight our way to one of the main elevators. They're all certain to be heavily guarded at this point. If we go to the security room, we can check the cameras to see which one of them is the safest choice. Maybe we'll get lucky."

"It seems like our only option." Brock remarked. "I'm not afraid to fight my way out, let's do it."

On the way to the security room, Brock and Mia were forced to take cover. A whole squad of Dr. Who's men were running down the corridor armed to the teeth. However, they blew past Brock and Mia without even noticing them. The soldiers were urgently on their way somewhere.

"I get the impression they're not after us." Brock observed. "Something else must be happening."

"I think they were heading to the surface." Mia noted.

The pair made it into the security room and took out the officer on duty who was monitoring the cameras and directing Dr. Who's forces. Brock pushed his body out of the way and Mia sat down to start cycling through the security cameras on the monitor. Surprisingly, the hangers and elevator shafts only had token security forces remaining. The majority of Dr. Who's men had already gone up to the surface. The squad they'd just encountered were also heading up at that very moment.

"What's happening…?" Brock asked as Mia kept switching cameras looking for answers.

They could see the battle between King Kong and Mechani-Kong continuing to rage. Mechani-Kong was advancing on Kong menacingly. Kong used his agility to grab Mechani-Kong's arm and judo throw him in an impressive feat of strength. Mechani-Kong flew through the air and crashed hard into the snow. As the robot got up, its movements were stiff. Perhaps the cold was starting to freeze up Mechani-Kong's joints? Kong moved in to resume his attack, but Mechani-Kong lowered his head and drove it directly into Kong's gut as he charged. Kong got the air knocked out of him and he backed away to recover.

Mechani-Kong took advantage and moved in to grabble with Kong. The robot got a hold of Kong's shoulders and tried to lift him up in the air for a slam, but Kong countered by ducking down and grabbing Mechani-Kong around the waist tightly. Mechani-Kong gave up on lifting Kong and instead threw him down forcefully. Kong rolled away, managing to keep his balance all the while. When Kong came to a stop, he noticed a metal pin hanging around his index finger from where he had been holding on to Mechani-Kong. Kong had inadvertently pulled the safety pin out of one of the grenades on Mechani-Kong's weapons belt. The robot registered the object in Kong's hands but was too slow to react to it.

A large explosion erupted from Mechani-Kong's side. The robot was blown off its feet and disappeared into a cloud of smoke as secondary detonations burst in a rapid chain reaction. One by one, each of Mechani-Kong's mining grenades went up. Kong stood up, disregarded the pin, and then beat his chest in triumph. He sensed victory was his. Unfortunately, Kong couldn't be more wrong. Mechani-Kong sat up eerily and rose out of the smoke like a demon. The machine was largely undamaged by the explosions. Its silver hull was charred around the waist where the explosions had occurred, but his armor plating had held up against the punishment. Kong's confidence dissipated in an instant and turned into fear. The situation was only getting worse.

From the monitor inside the base, Brock and Mia could see that Dr. Who's helicopter air force had launched in mass and was now moving towards Kong. The choppers all had gas bombs aboard and were preparing to put Kong back to sleep. As the helicopters approached, Kong looked over and understood what was happening. He just couldn't do anything about it. While he was distracted, Mechani-Kong got around behind him and put him in a full-nelson. Kong struggled, but he wasn't able to break away. It seemed as though he was doomed to become Dr. Who's slave once more.

Just as the first helicopter got into position over Kong, it was struck down by a missile. The machine and gas bomb inside went up in a red-hot fireball. The second helicopter in line tried to take evasive action, but it too was blown out of the sky. One by one, all of Dr. Who's air fleet was being destroyed. They were big fat targets that were hard to miss and too clunky to escape. They were simply sitting ducks. A squadron of F-4 fighters thundered over the heads of Kong and Mechani-Kong. They were phantoms dispatched from the Archimedes' fleet.

"Your people have arrived!" Mia declared excitedly. Brock just nodded in agreement. There was no need for them to escape now. If there were fighters present, that meant the Archimedes organization had committed a sizeable strike-group. At the very least, it indicated the USS Independence was in the vicinity. Brock switched the cameras to another exterior view. He could see a second fleet of helicopters approaching the area. There was an Archimedes ground assault force inbound and Dr. Who's guards were already being massacred from the air. Their positions were being pounded by airstrikes from the phantoms who had already finished with Dr. Who's air forces. Who's men couldn't possibly win a conventional fight against the military might that was being arrayed against them, but they still had one trump card to play.

Mechani-Kong was given a new set of orders. He let King Kong slip out of his grasp and picked up a boulder to throw at the attacking Archimedes jets. Fortunately, the nimble phantom fighters Mechani-Kong was aiming for were able to dodge out of the way, but if the robot chose to target the formation of approaching helicopters, they would be decimated by such an attack. One of the F-4s targeted Mechani-Kong with its missiles, but its rocket exploded against the armored plating harmlessly. Machine guns were equally ineffective. The helicopters weren't going to be able to get near the base with Mechani-Kong roaming around.

"Tell them to jam his command signal." Mia advised Brock.

"Yeah… that's good thinking." Brock smiled to her, whirling around to start working the nobs on the radio, switching them to an Archimedes' frequency. "This is Sargent Brock calling from the ground base. Repeat, Sargent Brock calling from ground base. If you want to take down that big metal monkey, turn on all of your jamming equipment. Repeat, turn on your jammers. That sucker is radio-controlled boys. It can't operate independently. Shut off the signal and you'll shut off his brain."

"Nice to hear your voice again Brock." Marcus' voice acknowledged, crackling over the radio. "Happy to see you're still with us buddy. That's a roger to your suggestion. Just sit tight big guy and we'll come in and get you. We're preparing to jam the signal. We won't be able to talk again until the fight is over…" The signal was cut abruptly as interference flooded every channel.

Brock turned back to the monitor and could see, in a strange turn of fate, that it was now King Kong holding Mechani-Kong in place while he was being immobilized by a force of helicopters. Mechani-Kong's arms suddenly slumped down and the whole machine went limp. Without orders to guide him, the robot was now just a humongous paper weight. King Kong wasn't taking any chances though. He took the opportunity to grasp Mechani-Kong's head and used all of his strength to wrench it clean away from the body.

The fight was over for Kong and the struggle for the base was nearly over. Archimedes shock troopers landed and began to mop up what was left of Dr. Who's guards who were outnumbered, outmanned, and outgunned. It was just a matter of time before the base was taken. Kong had no interest in any of that though. He turned, dropped Mechani-Kong's head into the snow, walked to the coast, and then dove down into the icy waters of the artic. He began swimming towards some unknown destination. Likely somewhere much milder.

Added in 26 minutes 23 seconds:

I guess Christmas came early this year.

Editing for Chapter 40 didn’t take as a long as I thought it would and pictures are much easier to do when you’re not building a city. So I knocked both out pretty quick.

Happy holidays everybody!
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

You too! Your post was timely. Spent the week in Ottawa with my brother and then got stuck at the station for hours so the latest chapter gave me something to read. Well done. You took the plot of King Kong escapes and added it your narrative but actually used it to tie previous threads together. Should have seen it coming when Kong battled Gorosaurus, but I didn't clue in until the beach scene. RIP to the flying Condor. Sure he ate people, but hey, the poor Avian just never catches a break.

The whole Kingdom of Mu mind control thing might tie in well with the original plot line for Titanosaurus. As a kid I thought he was just anoother bad guy for Godzilla to beat but when you watch the movie with adult eyes you realize he was just a mind controlled victim. Not that that stops Godzilla from blasting him. If you go that route hopefully he gets an easier time of it.

Despite mentally face palming at the Seatopia reference I like how you tied the whole space sub craft in with the Battra plotline and even threw in some Kong's Escape and Red Bamboo overarching plots. Very tidy; although the hovercraft landing boat and Mechanic Kong seem a little too advanced for the humans of the period. But then again technological limits are so very loose in Kaiju works. I think Kong Escapes was mid 60's! Excellent work. I didn't really foresee Battra or Kong playing so much a role.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:59 pm You too! Your post was timely. Spent the week in Ottawa with my brother and then got stuck at the station for hours so the latest chapter gave me something to read. Well done. You took the plot of King Kong escapes and added it your narrative but actually used it to tie previous threads together. Should have seen it coming when Kong battled Gorosaurus, but I didn't clue in until the beach scene. RIP to the flying Condor. Sure he ate people, but hey, the poor Avian just never catches a break.

The whole Kingdom of Mu mind control thing might tie in well with the original plot line for Titanosaurus. As a kid I thought he was just anoother bad guy for Godzilla to beat but when you watch the movie with adult eyes you realize he was just a mind controlled victim. Not that that stops Godzilla from blasting him. If you go that route hopefully he gets an easier time of it.

Despite mentally face palming at the Seatopia reference I like how you tied the whole space sub craft in with the Battra plotline and even threw in some Kong's Escape and Red Bamboo overarching plots. Very tidy; although the hovercraft landing boat and Mechanic Kong seem a little too advanced for the humans of the period. But then again technological limits are so very loose in Kaiju works. I think Kong Escapes was mid 60's! Excellent work. I didn't really foresee Battra or Kong playing so much a role.
Glad I could help you out with the wait.

I was wondering if you had caught on to where I was going. I always like to surprise people and I was concerned that mentioning Mondo Island would be too much of a giveaway. I wonder how many people were actually tipped off by that? Then again, without having just rewatched King King Escapes as a refresher, I’m not sure I would have put it together just with that particular clue.

It’s funny, originally Mechani-Kong wasn’t going to figure into the story much, because getting a miniature to represent him was a son of a b*tch and I try not to write about Kaiju that I can’t represent on the battle-map. It took months to track something down for him. I finally got lucky with a Iwakura figurine, but I had to go through Japanese eBay to attain it (and a website to exchange dollars for yen). For someone like me who is bad with technical stuff, it was quite a feat. But it worked out in the end. :mechanikong:

Yeah, the Giant Condor never does well in his outings. Beaten soundly in Godzilla vs the Sea-monster, pretty much a repeat of the same battle in All Monsters Attack, and he met a similar, if not worse, fate in my story. Guess I’m keeping up with tradition though.

Did you happen to catch that I was (in part) doing the original script for Godzilla vs the Sea Monster? Before Godzilla was written into the movie, it was supposed to be King Kong facing off against the Giant Condor and company, but Toho lost the rights to King Kong and so they switched him out for Godzilla. Knowing that helps to explain a lot of the weirdness of that film. Like why Godzilla has suddenly developed an interest in a human lady. Also why the enemies in that movie seemed a little below Godzilla’s normal pay-grade. Nothing presented in that film represented a serious threat to Godzilla at any point.

Anyways, Kong’s fight in this chapter was kinda a reference to that bit of trivia. I didn’t want to bring in Ebirah himself though. This chapter had too much going on as it is and the Sea Snake was already a threat by sea. A second sea monster would have been too redundant for one chapter.

No doubt Titanosaurous got the raw end of the deal in the movie. Sooner or later, I’ll get around to him. I’m still thinking over how to introduce him properly. Before I had a decent figure for him, he was going to be the monster to die when the Oxygen Destroyer got tested. (Just because I wasn’t going to be able to use his character in a more meaningful way). At the time, I figured it would give him more of a footprint in the story since I couldn’t really feature him the way I wanted to. Fortunately for Titanosaurous, I got some help with his figure from a friend and he was spared a horrible, bubbly fate.

Welp, now that some of the mysteries have been solved, I’m going to have to go about setting up new ones in the chapters to come. I’m definitely going to throw you readers a curve ball next chapter, something that nobody is going to see coming. It almost made it into this chapter, but again, it was already too long. Funny to think chapters 39 and 40 were originally supposed to be just one chapter. It would have been like 55 pages long…. :?

Anyways, there are big character developments on the horizon. Both Marcus and Godzilla will be coming back to the forefront soon and each of them will have meaningful character growth. I can’t say too much about that without spoilers. But again, we’re getting to things that I’ve had planned for ages now. Hopefully, they will entertaining, satisfying, and unexpected.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

Yeah I don't think many people remember the name Mondo island. Its not repeatedly mentioned in the series unlike Monster island. I think people are much more familiar with Skull and Monster Island. I did suspect some Sea Serpent elements, but you introduced the Red Bamboo much earlier so I was expecting it before. Then again you elaborated on the whole Red Bamboo network much more then the movies. In the movie they are just rent a villains but you made them an actual political faction. Nice to see you turning some classic one off characters into more tangible elements of an overarching plot. The entire monsterverse suffers from a lack of coherent links from movie to movie. I watched Godilla vs Mechagodzilla and just face palmed when Japan laughs at a Nobel prize winning professor for believing in Titanosaurus. I mean, really? Japan just saw Godzillla, Anguiros, MechaGodzilla and King Caesar in the very last movie and they find the prospect of another Giant dinosaur laughable? Pretty sure Mothra and Ghidorah had all appeared by then too. And of course Kong had appeared too. So nice to see some greater continuity.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

mpsoldier wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:52 pm Yeah I don't think many people remember the name Mondo island. Its not repeatedly mentioned in the series unlike Monster island. I think people are much more familiar with Skull and Monster Island. I did suspect some Sea Serpent elements, but you introduced the Red Bamboo much earlier so I was expecting it before. Then again you elaborated on the whole Red Bamboo network much more then the movies. In the movie they are just rent a villains but you made them an actual political faction. Nice to see you turning some classic one off characters into more tangible elements of an overarching plot. The entire monsterverse suffers from a lack of coherent links from movie to movie. I watched Godilla vs Mechagodzilla and just face palmed when Japan laughs at a Nobel prize winning professor for believing in Titanosaurus. I mean, really? Japan just saw Godzillla, Anguiros, MechaGodzilla and King Caesar in the very last movie and they find the prospect of another Giant dinosaur laughable? Pretty sure Mothra and Ghidorah had all appeared by then too. And of course Kong had appeared too. So nice to see some greater continuity.
Yeah, only big Kong fans probably would remember that particular factoid. Agreed about the monsterverse too.

You know what’s really going you annoy about that Titanosaurus plot element? So the movie Titanosaurus appears in is ‘Terror of Mechagodzilla’ and it is the dead-last movie in the entire Showa Era of Godzilla movies. So, Titanosaurus is the very last Kaiju introduced in the entire series. So not only did all the monsters you mentioned earlier appear previously, but also all of the weirdest characters of the 70s. Like a space monster made entirely out of muck, and an angry cyber-chicken controlled by bug people, and an oversized cockroach that lives under the sea, but yeah, a dinosaur is the absurd thing. :lol:

I got nothing against any those other characters btw, just trying to make a point. I Still got a lot of love for these guys: :Hedorah: :Gigan: :Megalon:

Anyways, continuity wise, the only thing I can think of that is supposed to happen after the events of ‘Terror of Mechagodzilla’ is the plot of ‘Destroy All Monsters.’ And that’s about it. So suggesting Titanosaurus’s existence is nothing more than a wild theory by a wacko scientist is quite strange indeed. :eh:

However, there may still be an explanation as to why Dr. Mafune was laughed at by his colleagues. I think, just maybe, (and the movie is pretty unclear on this) that Dr. Mafune was a lot younger when he made his claim about Titanosaurus. It’s possible that Dr. Mafune was meant to make that claim prior to 1954, before Godzilla and other monsters first appeared.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is meant to take place in 1975, so there would roughly be 20 years difference. It’s been a long time since I’ve watched that movie, (so I don’t recall for sure), but I think in the flashbacks Dr. Mafune is shown to be significantly younger. He’s got his Einstein look going on in the 70s and in the flashbacks his hair was black. So it’s possible the flashback was meant to be 20 years earlier. Prior to Godzilla’s appearance, such a claim about dinosaurs would have been looked upon with heavy skepticism. But if that is the case, the movie did a real shit job of spelling it out for the audience. They could have made a point to say: “Prior to Godzilla’s first attack.” Or something along those lines.

You’re certainly not the first person I’ve heard pointing out this possible plot hole. I’d have to go back and watch the movie again myself to comment any further.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

You know that actually makes a lot of sense. Pre 1954 it would seem a laughable prediction. But Kaiju are pretty hard not to notice; and if you watch Godzilla 1954 its a really heavy handed attack on Nuclear destruction. I think the series as a whole kind of went with the whole "nuclear radiation wakes Godzilla" or "nuclear radiation creates Godzilla" depending on the movie. This leads to the awakening of the other Kaiju; minus the ones brought here by the aliens or the ones human made. And Kong on an isolated island. So I guess its *possible* he did discover Titanosaurus pre 1954 and then face ridicule but it seems unlikely. And even if he did make that declaration and get laughed off the scientific community; 1954 would have massively vindicated him and at the very least prove the possibility. It seems odd that after seeing the destruction Godzilla (s) Anguiros and presumably Rodan as well made in Japan that the government let alone private citizens and corporations would not have been VERY interested in knowing of any more. I think the whole world would have been on Kaiju focus.

But then again after the first movie the tone gets progressively sillier so yeah, making arguments and pointing out logic and valid points is pretty much out the window. When a 1960's tech robot perfects magically growing 100x his size in like 4 seconds every argument based on logic because invalid. But sometimes it is fun to debate and consider different ideas.

Looking forward to the next update. Lots of lesser known monsters showing up in story like you promised. Gets exciting to see other overlooked Kaiju getting their roles and also a few overlooked human pro/antaganists surfacing. Inspired by your work I created 4 KWC matchups mostly showcasing the lesser used monsters. Hoping they get used soon, but I have no idea how long the backlog is.

Anyways Happy New Year everyone!

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

I agree. If that is indeed how things went down, then Dr. Mafune should have been vindicated by Godzilla’s arrival.

Putting myself into Dr. Mafune’s shoes, if I got laughed out of my profession like he did for his dinosaur theory and then Godzilla showed up (presumably just a few years later), I think I’d have been even more pissed off about it than I already was to begin with. Especially if I didn’t get an apology. 😆

But yeah, the whole thing just boils down to being one of those Showa Era continuity issues that is kinda questionable. Pretty sure they writers just didn’t think that one through for very long.

What kind of matchups did you do for KWC? There’s a waiting list for that, huh? I suppose that makes sense. It’s probably pretty popular.

Just as a general announcement:

I’m “almost” done with the first draft of the next chapter. It’s turning out to be a long one, but there was just a lot of stuff I wanted to get into this one. I’ve got one more scene to write and then I can move onto the second draft to start cleaning it up. There’s more underutilized monsters featured, and I think most people will agree that ones I chose for this chapter really do deserve more love than they’ve gotten. That’s not to say they they under-appreciated, but just not used very often. Thy should be a popular choice if nothing else. Now I just have to try to do them justice.

Anyways, more to come later.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

In going with the theme of underutilized monsters I did Gabara vs Behemoth and Baragon vs Skull Crawlers. I did some more mainstream works with Megalon vs Rodan and Godzilla+Godzilllasaurus vs Gyaos and Super Gyaos. All follow directly after Godzilla King of the monsters movie, sort of a continuation as the world's Kaiju deal with the aftermath of the 2nd movie and struggle for position in the hierarchy. I have a few more ideas I would like to get to, but with 4 done figured I'd wait till approval. Glad to hear new chapters been shaping up. Works been slow so I have been reliant on Kaiju stuff to entertain.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

Ah, a mixture of the old and new. Interesting idea. Well, I hope you get your approvals soon. One nice bit of continuity Godzilla vs King did was bring back a Skull Crawler for the Mechagodzilla test. It was a nice touch.
Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

Yeah. I really liked that too. They are interesting, underutilized monsters. One of the few Kaiju that I would classify as villains. Those guys are evil.

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

Chapter 41: Green and Brown.

The battle for Dr. Who’s Artic base continued on as a one-side slaughter. Who’s forces for the most part had already begun abandoning their positions on the surface and were retreating within the bowels of their base, hoping to make a more meaningful stand down below. From there, they could at least negate Archimedes’ overwhelming aerial superiority, as well as try to hold just a few key chokepoints to avoid being flanked. A few stragglers gave up the fight altogether and were trying to escape using the base’s few remaining snow crawlers. They were picked off easily enough by Archimedes fighters.

The remnants of Dr. Who’s security forces inside the base rallied themselves around the main access corridors and brought in whatever cover they could carry to fortify their position. This mostly consisted of tables and chairs from nearby offices. They were being led by Who’s security chief. He organized his men the best he could. Once the men settled in, all they could do was sit there and wait for the inevitable assault they all knew was coming. Tension was high. The passageway was deathly silent. Eventually a noise came from the other side of the blast door. The security forces raised their weapons in anticipation. They could hear someone taping on the metal doorframe. Sweat was pouring off the man closest to it. He wanted to open fire, but his bullets wouldn’t penetrate the reinforced gate.

An agonizingly slow minute rolled by while the guards waited for the enemy to make a move. Archimedes’ soldiers had to be just on the other side of the door. What were they waiting for? The answer soon became apparent when the metal blast door was breached by a powerful explosion. Metal shrapnel showered the entire hallway, striking down several defenders. The first man in line was cut to pieces. His more fortunate comrades avoided the worst of it by hiding behind cover, though they were still pretty shell-shocked by the concussive force of the blast.

The ears of the Security Chief were bleeding as he looked over to where the door had once been. Only fragments of the frame remained. Smoke was heavy in the air. There was now nothing between them and the attacking marines. The chief tried to shout orders to the other guards to fall back, but he realized that he couldn’t hear himself talking. His ears were ringing, and he could see that none of his men were responding to him.

From the other side of the corridor, the chief could see shadows starting to move through the smoke towards the entryway. The marines were coming. Seeing that retreat was no longer a viable option, the chief fired his weapon, hoping that his men would at least be able to hear it and understand that they should follow suit. A firefight erupted as the marines returned fire. One of the guards near the front of the corridor dropped as he was immediately hit. The rest of the men took turns firing and taking cover.

For a moment, it seemed as though Dr. Who’s men would be able to hold back the assault. The marines weren’t able to advance beyond the demolished blast door. The Chief and his boys were able to lay down enough suppressing-fire to keep them at bay. Then the material superiority of the Marines reared its ugly head. It began with a single grenade which took out two men hiding behind a barrier. Then a soldier armed with a flamethrower stepped into the doorway and sent a deadly stream of napalm arching across the front half of the passageway. Three more security men were caught up in the flames. They didn’t die right away either. Instead, the poor men suffered as they slowly burned alive. Upon seeing that, what was left of the defense fell apart. Most of the guards broke cover and retreated. They were cut down mercilessly by marines who were now flooding into the hallway behind them.

All across the complex, other defensive strong points were falling in a similar manner simultaneously. Sensing the end, the Chief of Security threw up his hands and surrendered to the marines. They’d been thoroughly beaten. There was no point in fighting to the death.

Above the base, Marcus was circling the battlefield with his squadron of F-4 Phantoms, scanning for targets. Just off the coast, Dr. Who’s aircraft carrier and the huge cargo ship were still sitting at anchor. Neither of the vessels had been a threat during the battle, but now that Marcus and his fighters had no other enemies to focus on, and since they still had plenty of ammunition to spend, the ships were juicy targets of opportunity.

“Command, permission to engage enemy shipping.” Marcus requested over his radio.

“Negative on the cargo ship.” Admiral Malek personally radioed back. “That vessel might still be of some use to us. We’re rerouting a detachment of marines to land on her. I want that ship taken intact.” He warned. “However, you boys can amuse yourselves with that piece of crap they call a carrier.”

“Affirmative sir.” Marcus replied. “Vectoring over now.” The whole squadron banked out towards the coastline. “You heard the man, arm your anti-ship missiles gentlemen. We’re going in.”

It didn’t take the fighters long to close in on their target. Dr. Who’s carrier had no means in which to defend itself. Its helicopters had all been shot down earlier in the battle and it possessed no AA-guns. Marcus could see sailors already preparing lifeboats as the approached. They knew what was coming.

“Try to aim for the waterline.” Marcus instructed his flyers. He wanted to avoid unnecessary casualties. Anyone who made it off the carrier would have nowhere else to go. Archimedes’ destroyers would pluck any survivors out of the water after the battle.

Six missiles were launched in total. Each of them slammed into the side of the carrier, causing massive damage and flooding. It was immediately plain to see that the vessel was doomed. The carrier would sink for certain; it was just a matter of time.

“Ok boys, that’s good enough.” Marcus radioed, circling back around to confirm the results. “She’s done.” He could see the sailors on the top deck, still alive and well.

“We got another one boss.” Marcus’ wingman reported to him. “Seven o’clock low.” Marcus looked to see a smaller craft, a type of ice-breaking ship, making a run for it.

‘Where did you come from…?’ Marcus thought. “Take out the engines.” He instructed.

“I’m on it.” One of the phantoms fell out of formation and put a missile right into the poop-deck, heavily damaging the ship, but not destroying it. With its propulsion gone, the vessel sputtered to a stop dead in the water. From the corner of his vision, Marcus could see the second assault force of marine helicopters moving on the large transport vessel. They didn’t appear to need any help securing the ship.

“Hey Marcus, this is Marine-One back at the base.” Lieutenant Gregor radioed. “I got something for you. We’ve sighted a huge helicopter launching from a hidden hanger. It just popped up out of an opening in the middle of an icefield. It looks kind of like a Chinook, only it’s a lot bigger. I don’t think it’s friendly. That might be the good doctor trying to escape. You’d better get over here to check it out.”

“Roger Marine-One.” Marcus replied. “We’re on our way.”

By the time the fighters arrived, the suspect helicopter had already taken off and was a good distance away from the base. Curiously, it was heading further into the arctic landscape. Perhaps they meant to avoid the radars of the Archimedes fleet and circle around the long way, because there was nothing but frozen tundra for thousands of miles in the direction that they were going. When Marcus’ fighter got close enough, he could see that the enemy helicopter was a specially modified bird designed for particularly long trips. It had six extra fuel tanks built into it. Marcus had no intention of letting the chopper get to wherever it was going. If Dr. Who was indeed aboard, they couldn’t afford to let him get away.

“Unidentified helicopter.” Marcus radioed over to them. “Turn your craft around, return to base, and prepare to be boarded.” He paused, waiting for a reply, but the helicopter just kept going. Marcus moved up, positioning his fighter to the port side of the helicopter, so the pilot inside could see that he was being pursued by jet aircraft. “I repeat, turn your craft around and prepare to be boarded. This is your final warning.” Marcus gestured down with his hand, indicating that he wanted them to land. They gave no response and just kept going. Through a sliding door on the side of the helicopter, one of Dr. Who’s men opened fire on Marcus’ jet with a mounted heavy machine gun. “Sons of bitches are shooting at me!” Marcus plunged his fighter out of the line of fire. “Okay, that is it! Permission to engage admiral?” Marcus assumed Malek had been monitoring the developing situation.

“Granted.” Malek replied over the radio, confirming that he had.

Before Marcus could even give specific orders, one of his flyers got in behind the chopper and opened up with their cannons. Rounds ripped through the helicopter’s aft engine casing and stalled it out. With only one working rotor left, the helicopter spun out of control, plummeting towards the ground. Nothing was going to stop them from crashing. The only thing anyone could do was watch and wait for it to happen. They’d have to send a marine team to sift through the wreckage and determine if Dr. Who had indeed been on board or not, if he could be identified. However, as it turned out, that wasn’t going to be possible. As soon as the helicopter hit the ground, it erupted into a furious fireball and an enormous explosion followed.

“Lord Jesus!” One of Marcus’ men cried over the radio as the explosion lit up under them. The squadron circled back and saw a mushroom cloud rising up.

“Holy crap, was that a nuke?!” One of the other pilots exclaimed.

“What was that thing carrying?!” Another added.

“That explosion wasn’t big enough to be a nuke.” Marcus reasoned. “But they had to have been carrying some type of bomb onboard, and a big one. That was a heck of a blast.”

Below, the small, dark mushroom cloud was starting to settle over the frozen landscape. The mystery helicopter had crashed into a large frozen lake and the explosion had cracked the ancient ice wide open. The immense amount of fuel the helicopter had been carrying spread and was burning violently, melting the ice around it, and seeping downwards into the crevasse. Marcus and his squadron made another pass over it, surveying the devastation. As they did, they witnessed the fractures in the ice expanding. The fissures grew more and more, and steam began to pour up out of them.

“What is going on down there sir?” Marcus’ wingman asked. “Is that happening because of the crash?”

Below, the whole frozen lake seemed to be shifting around. Something strange was definitely happening, what it was, Marcus couldn’t say. Suddenly, the entire lake rose up sixty feet. The burning wreckage of the helicopter slid and fell to the side as the moving glacier lifted and turned horizontally towards the sky. At that moment, it was clear that a monster was moving underneath the ice. The lake was sitting on its wide back. Whatever it was, it was still completely covered by shards of ice. The monster stepped up and out of the huge crevice it had occupied and walked through the mushroom cloud, dispelling the smoke as it passed though.

“It’s a kaiju.” Marcus announced over the radio.

The living glacier kept moving, losing more and more sections of ice as it went. Slowly but surely the monster started to take form. Arms broke free from the main frozen mass, which sent chucks of permafrost crashing to the ground like glass. Each movement revealed more of the monster until it was finally revealed to the world. The kaiju had greyish-green skin, a stubby tail, and two tusks sticking out of each side of its mouth. Its most notable feature however had to be the huge shell which made up the majority of its body mass. To Marcus, it looked like an angry alligator snapping turtle standing up on its hind legs.

“Should we engage sir?” Marcus’ wingman asked urgently. “It’s heading towards the base. Our ground forces are in danger!”

“Just hold on for a moment.” Marcus replied thinking. Something deep inside told him that attacking this monster would be a mistake. Below, the monster had stopped moving. The last bits of ice fell away from its body. The monster’s arms and legs began to retract within its body. ‘Does it sense that we mean to attack?’ Marcus pondered to himself. Before he could give it any more thought, something quite peculiar happened. As the turtle’s head and limbs vanished beneath the shell, they were replaced by jets of blue fire and the creature’s shell began to whirl around rapidly in circles like a spinning top.

“What the f*ck is happening down there?” Marcus’ wingman asked exasperated.

Before anyone could say any more about it, the shell lifted off the ground and shot into the sky like a flying saucer. It flew away like a bat out of hell.

“That is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen…” Marcus noted.

“Yeah… I’ve never seen anything like that before.” His wingman agreed. “Was that a flying turtle saucer?”

“How are we going to explain that when we get back?” One of the other pilots chimed in.

“Don’t worry about it.” Marcus answered. “I’m pretty sure I picked it up on my gun-camera and the fleet will most likely pick it up on their radar too.”

Aside from small pockets of resistance by individuals, fighting inside of the polar base was largely over. Brock and Mai had been watching the action unfold over the monitors in the security office and were helping to direct the marine forces. It was the two of them who had alerted the first marine assault squad to the ambush that had been waiting for them just inside the main corridor. Brock could see a squad of marines moving towards their location, so he got up to go meet them. He’d notified them where they were hiding. He was happy to see they were about to be extracted. As Brock opened the door, one of the marines instinctively brought up his weapon and put two rounds into the nearby wall.

“God damn it you assholes!” Brock thundered angrily. “Check your fire!”

“Oh shit, I think that’s Sargent Brock!” He heard one of the marines say outside.

Brock peaked his head around the corner and glared furiously in their direction. The rest of the squad stepped away from the man who’d taken the shot, leaving him standing there alone, highlighting him as the culprit. They left him to face Brock’s wrath alone. The soldier looked around and saw that he’d be thrown under the bus by his buddies. Brock stomped up to the soldier and grabbed him by the shirt cuff.

“When you know there are friendlies in play, you need to be more careful.” Brock said through gritted teeth, trying to contain his anger. But he was absolutely fuming.

“Yes sir!” The marine replied. “Understood sir!”

“Give me that weapon!” Brock seized the rifle for himself and let the man go. “You can come out now.” He called back to Mai, who was still safely hiding in the security office. “Is your sweep done?” He turned his attention to the corporal who was leading the squad.

“We’re supposed to clear out the south corridor.” The corporal replied.

“There’s no one and nothing of value down there.” Brock informed him. “We’ve seen it from the monitors.” He pointed back to the security office. “You can take you boys down there if you want, but we’re heading back to the surface.” He gestured over to Mai. “I want two of your men, just to ensure no one else gets confused as to who’s side we’re on.”

“Yes sir.” The corporal agreed.

Before Brock and Mai could leave though, a second squad of marines came into the area. Unlike the first squad, these men seemed to be looking specifically for Brock.

“Sir, we are here to escort your prisoner to Admiral Malek.” The officer said. Something about that statement triggered Brock. Malek’s treatment of previous Red Bamboo captives was bubbling back up to the surface.

“She’s not a prisoner!” Brock barked, stepping up towards the soldier aggressively, getting his full attention. “This woman has joined us of her own volition. I won’t let you take her.” He squared up to the man, ready to physically back up his statement if necessary. The soldier was visibly intimidated.

“It’s orders sir…” The marine asserted nervously. He understood Brock’s point of view but was unwilling to violate his directives. There was a brief standoff between Brock and the other marines. It looked as though things were going to descend into violence, but before they could, Mai’s hand reached out and touched Brock’s shoulder. He turned to look at her, and she gave him a reassuring smile. Though Brock fought it, the look was enough to make him back down. Mai willingly went along with the soldiers.

“You ass is still mine when we get back to the boat Floyd!” Brock couldn’t help but say to the officer. His pent up aggressive was still simmering just below the surface. Floyd looked back at Brock with unease.

Unwilling to let the matter go, Brock barged his way into Admiral Malek’s office as soon as he’d returned to the USS Independence. He wouldn’t let Mai go missing like so many of Malek’s previous prisoners. Brock pushed his way past anyone who tried to stop him and stomped right up to the Admiral, who was sitting behind his desk confidently with a cigar. He didn’t look too surprised to see him. Before Brock could even get a word out, Admiral Malek just gestured towards the corner of the room where Mai was sitting comfortably with a drink. Both of them looked quite relaxed. The atmosphere of the room felt as though the two of them were already old friends just catching up.

“We’ve been expecting you Sargent.” Admiral Malek noted. “Go ahead and have a seat.” He offered. Brock noticed all of the materials Mai had stolen sitting on Malek’s desk. It was apparent that she had already done a thorough job of shmoozing him. “I’m aware that you are already familiar with Mrs. Mia, so I won’t introduce you. I know why you are here and there’s no need to worry. We’ve just been talking about Mai’s bright future in the Archimedes organization.”

“Is that so…?” Brock said skeptically.

“Yes, I feel that she has a great deal to offer us.” Admiral Malek went on. Brock looked to Mia for confirmation. She looked satisfied. Brock was a little surprised. Had she managed to legitimately win over the Admiral so quickly? It seemed so. Perhaps it was because she was a woman and she’d used her charms on him, or perhaps the materials she provided had simply earned her enough brownie points, but Malek already seemed ready to accept her proposal to join the Archimedes organization. “To put your mind at ease, I’m going to assign you to her personal security detail.” Malek went on. “After all, she’s become one of our most valuable assets, worth putting one of my best men on the assignment.”

“And I’d be happy to have him.” Mai agreed.

“Let’s talk over some more of the details.” Malek suggested.

Several minutes later, Brock left Malek’s office feeling cautiously optimistic. He didn’t really trust the Admiral to keep his word, but he trusted Mai’s skills of persuasion to keep herself out of danger. And if Malek did betray his word, Brock would be there to ensure he paid for it. As Brock continued to walk down the hall, he saw Marcus running towards him, still wearing his flight suit, and carrying his helmet.

“Brock, you need to stay clam!” Marcus shouted to him. Apparently, someone had told him what was happening between him and the Admiral.

“It’s alright.” Brock growled at him. “It’s already been settled.”

“Oh… okay.” Marcus answered surprised, perhaps feeling a little foolish over all of the fuss. “You must really like this lady to go through all of the trouble.” He said, catching his breath. “You know, it’s funny though, thinking back on our first conversation at the Zao Ming conference, you really didn’t seem to have a lot of confidence in Chinese people at all. In fact, I recall you very specifically warning me very about trusting them. Now you’re willing to put your own ass on the line to save one?”

“Yeah, what of it?” Brock rumbled defensively.

“Hey, don’t be offended.” Marcus countered. “I’m just trying to say, I think you’ve grown a bit as a person, that’s all. You could use a little more trust and compassion in your life.” He smirked. “I suppose it doesn’t hurt that the person you’ve chosen to put your trust in is a pretty girl though, right?” Brock gave Marcus a sharp look. “Or so I’ve been told….” He added sheepishly. “Considering she just handed us the whole world on a platter, I’d say she’s earned a little credit. By the way, did I tell you about the flying freaking turtle I just discovered?”

“No.” Brock replied. “But I have a lot to catch you up on too. I found out who is behind all of the mysterious attacks we’ve encountered. You’re not going to believe it…”

“Tell you what, let me buy you lunch, and we can catch each other up on everything.” Marcus offered.

Following the capture of the artic base, the Archimedes organization set about seizing any and all assets they could get their hands on. Chief among them was recovering Mechani-Kong’s dismembered chassis. Even if badly damaged, the material was invaluable. The components were taken and loaded onto the specialized cargo ship that had been captured during the battle. From there, they could be taken to a more secure Archimedes research and development base.

Admiral Malek published a false report indicating that Kong had thrown Mechani-Kong into the Artic Ocean, and thus the mech had sunk to the bottom, lost. Further, he reported finding the body of what they assumed was a Red Bamboo agent. She had no identification on her, and so she was buried at sea. That was Malek’s method of covering up Mai’s defection. If the Chinese didn’t outright believe the story, it would at least sew doubt into their minds. It wasn’t like they were going to send a expedition all the way to the artic to check. Malek put the report out on an open channel for them to hear. Regrettably, they couldn’t physically confirm the death of Dr. Who since his body was burnt beyond recognition. However, they did figure he was aboard the crashed helicopter. The Archimedes fleet had lost track of the new monster who had emerged from the ice. But its last heading put it on a southeastern course.

The last thing, which was left out of all of the reports, was another prisoner had been taken out of Dr. Who’s cells. He claimed to be the man who actually designed the Mechani-Kong robot. He alleged that Dr. Who had held him captive and taken credit for his work. Whether this was true or not was unclear, but Admiral Malek intended to put him to the test. One thing was certain though, the captured engineer was very eccentric. It was hard to get a sense of who he was and where he was from. He spoke English, but through an accent that was difficult to place. Ling spoke with him and even he couldn’t figure him out. The man was simply an oddity. He claimed to be German, and he spoke fluent German, but when Reinhart spoke with him, he didn’t get the sense of a fellow countryman.

Malek put the strange engineer to work making repairs on the Mechani-Kong robot. Reinhart objected, asserting that he should be the one allowed to study it. He felt that it was unwise to allow a man they knew so little about to be trusted with such an important task. Admiral Malek insisted he just wanted to see if they guy actually knew what he was doing or not though. If he could repair the robot, that would prove it. Reinhart didn’t like it, but he had no choice but to accept Malek’s plan. To help appease Reinhart, Admiral Malek assigned him to assist the engineer, but also to keep a close eye on him.

Two months later, the Archimedes fleet was sailing towards Japan. Godzilla had been sighted lurking in the pacific just outside of Japanese waters. It seemed as though he was heading back to what he deemed his rightful domain. According to reports, Godzilla had left Japan to fight another monster dubbed Soran who had been devastating cities in Malaysia. The new monster was slain in the ensuing fight. Godzilla’s behavior since battling Mothra had been notably different. Despite killing Soran, he seemed somewhat less aggressive. Godzilla had not attacked any shipping despite having several opportunities to do so. Nor had he ravaged any more cities. It was puzzling to both scientists and military strategists. None the less, Godzilla was on his way to Japan again, and there was no telling what he might do once he got there. Archimedes couldn’t afford to wait and see.

All over the world, governments and regular folk were still feeling the fallout of the “The Pulse” incident. Monsters had appeared on every continent and clashes between them were commonplace. The twin Mothra larva appeared several times to pacify some of the hottest spots. They sent many lesser monsters running. Interestingly enough, even Battra surfaced to stop one rampage. He killed a kaiju with twelve limbs that was posthumously named Muto. Slowly, things were starting to settle down again. Many monsters either went back into hiding, found places that were free and clear of mankind, or were outright killed.

And yet, the turmoil wasn’t quite over. There was at least one more all-out war to be fought before the peace could truly be restored.

On a dark and stormy night, just off the coast of Yokosuka, a lone freighter sailed through choppy seas. The ship was cruising through dangerous coral patches to avoid detection by the local authorities. They were smuggling contraband goods. The captain of the vessel, Kazuo, was alone at the wheel on the bridge. He was watching the lightning flash to pass the time. There was something about storms that always made him feel more alive. Perhaps they tapped into his primeval connection to nature and survival instincts. Still, something about this night made the skipper feel uneasy. Nothing he could put his finger on, but something didn’t feel quite right.

His feeling of unease was not unfounded. For behind the captain, the back door of the bridge creeped open, seemingly on its own. Kazuo didn’t notice the creaking of the hinges; the lightning and thunder were still distracting him. Through the cracked door, a slimy tentacle wriggled inside the room. Slowly, the tentacle snaked its way unseen towards Kazuo, who was still sheering the ship and blissfully unaware of it. The tentacle left a trail of sludge in its wake, sliding across the wooden floor. Just as the tentacle reached the raised platform where Kazuo was standing, he detected a noise and turned to see if one of the other crew members had entered the bridge. To his surprise, Kazuo saw no one, but he looked down and spotted the tentacle.

Kazuo’s mouth swung open wide in shock and horror. He instinctively stepped back, retreating out of reach. The tentacle lunged around blindly; sensing that prey was nearby. It suddenly lurched forward, swinging just over Kazuo’s head, nearly knocking his cap off. Kazuo felt the sudden urge of fight or flight surge through his system. He took up a hatchet and instinctively started to chop away at the tentacle to defend himself. After several swings, Kazuo managed to severe the tip of the tentacle, which caused the rest of it to pull away back out the door. Kazuo ran to the door to close and lock it, but there was already another tentacle there ready to replace the first. It was pushing against the door to force its way in.

Outside the bridge’s front windows, Kazuo could see the face of an enormous octopus rising to the surface. It looked hungry and angry. Its eyes burned red with fury. Kazuo managed to get the backdoor closed, but he had to keep the weight of his entire body braced against it to prevent the tentacles from barreling through the frame. Meanwhile, more tentacles were breaking into the bridge through the windows. Kazuo was starting to panic. He recognized that he was in a dire situation. He called out for help from the rest of the crew, but nobody seemed to hear him, nor did they seem to realize that they were under attack. They must have been below decks playing cards.

One of the infiltrating tentacles found its way to Kazuo’s leg and wrapped itself around his ankle. Once it had secured a hold, it pulled Kazuo away from the door, allowing more tentacles inside. Kazuo was pulled off of his feet and towards the windows. By that point, the giant octopus had wrapped the whole ship up in its arms and was now pulling itself onto it. A second tentacle reached out for Kazuo and wrapped around his torso. It had a good solid hold on him. Kazuo was quickly pulled even closer to the windows. He braced himself against the wooden frame to prevent himself from being dragged outside.

Kazuo looked back, again hoping for the aid of one of his crewmates, but there was no one to be found. Kazuo yelled out desperately, his arms were starting to tire as he struggled to stay withing the confines of the bridge. Just outside, the giant octopus was staring right at him, eagerly awaiting the imminent meal. Kazuo was lifted clear off the ground. His fate seemed inevitable. He simply did not have the strength to resist for much longer.

Then something miraculous happened. Once by one, the tentacles started to slip away from Kazuo’s body letting him go. The giant octopus fell away from the ship, retreating. Kazuo fell to the wooden floor with a thud as the last tentacle released him. The storm raged on outside as Kazuo got back to his feet. He rose up slowly, almost afraid to look back out again. What he saw when he did pear outside was unbelievable. The giant octopus was locked in close combat with a colossal green giant. It almost looked like a man, but then the lightening flashed, and Kazuo could see that his savor was far from human. Its face was all twisted and grotesque.

The new monster struggled with the octopus, wrestling, and crying out angrily. The octopus had entangled the green giant, wrapping itself around his arms and neck and threatening to strangle him. The green giant wasn’t just going to lay down for it though. He ripped the tentacles away from his throat with his hands and began to unravel the octopus’ hold over him. Once he’d done that, the giant bite down onto one of the tentacles to get the octopus’ attention. The octopus flung its limbs around wildly, slapping them violently against the green monster’s face, leaving several slimy whip lashes. The pain fueled the green monster’s rage. He grasped the octopus in his claws and threw him across the water and back into the sea. The green ogre watched and waited to see if it would come back to the surface for a second round, but the giant cephalopod had already taken enough of a beating for one night.

Triumphant, the green giant turned and raised his hands in celebration. Kazuo on board the freighter wasn’t sure how to feel about it. One menace was gone, but was the thing that had replaced it any better? His question was soon answered. The green ogre started making its way towards the ship. As it turned out, he had not saved them for any sort of noble intentions. He simply wanted to victimize them himself.

Kazuo turned the wheel hard, attempting to steer the freighter away from the oncoming threat, but it was of absolutely no use. The monster was far faster than they were. It soon came to grips with the ship and began to rock it back and forth. Kazuo fell down and away from the wheel. At that moment, he realized the ship was doomed. Kazuo hit the emergency alarm to warn the rest of the crew of what they must have already known by that point, and then crawled towards the door to abandon ship.

The monster meanwhile had made its way to the front of the freighter and began to use his body weight to push the vessel underneath the water. Kazuo was swept away into the ocean and began to swim towards the shore. He looked back and saw that the monster was dipping the ship down again and again, each time, the bowels of the freighter filled up with more seawater. Behind him, Kazuo could see that the other four members of the crew had astonishingly made it off the ship as well. He couldn’t wait for them to catch up though. Kazuo assumed that the monster wasn’t just after the ship’s contraband cargo. It seemed as though his main goal was to eat the crew.

Kazuo swam as hard as he could. The rain and the storm provided him and his men some cover to escape, but it was just a matter of time before the monster would notice them in the water. Behind the sailors, their freighter finally succumbed to its flooding and sank beneath the waves. Without that distraction, the green giant looked around and spotted the swimming men. He began to come after them with a roar. Kazuo looked back and saw the terrible sight, which motivated him to fight even harder to get away.

One by one, the other members of Kazuo’s crew fell under the claws of the monster. They never had a chance. Kazuo could hear their terrible screams of anguish as they were consumed. It took the monster a minute to finish with the four men. He seemed to savor each one of them, which gave Kazuo time to reach the beach. Kazuo immediately took cover and got out of sight. He peaked out to see if the monster was still coming for him, but by that time it was turning and heading back out into the ocean, seemingly satisfied. It seemed as though Kazuo’s ordeal was over. He collapsed, exhausted, and wept.

Four days later, Marcus and Brock were reading over the report of the incident in the ready room of the USS Independence, still bound for Japan.

“You think was Godzilla?” Brock asked.

“No, the M.O. of this is very different.” Marcus replied. “And there’s an eyewitness. The Japanese authorities aren’t too sure if they believe his story yet though. But if it is true, this new monster is something completely different. Something we haven’t seen before. Something… humanoid.” Marcus added disturbed. “The survivor of the attack was taken to Yokosuka Hospital. He’s stable now, and under observation. They say he’s been ranting about a hairy green giant ever since he woke up.”

“What are the Japanese doing about it?” Brock inquired.

“Well, for starters, they called in our Maser units.” Marcus replied. “Their own are still under construction. They won’t be completed for weeks yet. They’ve also brought in an American cryptozoologist by the name of Dr. Paul Stuwart. He’s based out of Kyoto, so I guess he was handy.”

“Why him?” Brock asked. “We have plenty of monster experts of our own, and so do the Japanese.”

“This guy is kind of special.” Marcus answered. “They think this incident may be related to a specimen he was studying a couple years ago. I’m not sure how much help he’s being though. Apparently, he’s been oddly dismissive of the attack, and even defensive about the possibility of his specimen being involved, despite some strong evidence that points towards it. He even suggested that the sailor made up the whole thing.”

“What evidence is that?” Brock asked.

“Well, the Japanese sent divers down to examine the wreck of the ship and they discovered some pretty chilling details.” Marcus began to explain. “The ship itself had no notable damage to the hull. There is no clear reason for it sitting at the bottom of the sea unless it had been pushed under exactly as the sailor had suggested. Worse, there was, and I quote: ‘Chewed up clothing’, found on the railings of the wreck. And even more sets of clothing were found between the boat and the shore, just as the sailor’s story indicated, also tore up. All suggesting that the other crew members had indeed been eaten.”

“And the scientist is still trying to insist the captain is lying?” Brock asked irritated.

“I know, right?” Marcus agreed. “He insists that the other crew members are simply in hiding. Feel likes the doctor is in a bit of denial, eh? And it gets worse, there has been a second attack on a smaller fishing boat. Again, the whole vessel was pulled under just off the coast of a small fishing village. Two more men missing, assumed dead. Afterwards, the villagers tried to pull the wreck in by hand through the net lines and they were dragged clear across the beach by something out in the water pulling back. A crowd of nearly one hundred people saw the head and shoulders of a massive monster pop out of the water, and still, Dr. Stuwart is being obstinate.”

“He’s starting to feel like a criminal defense lawyer.” Brock mused.

“Fortunately, Dr. Stuwart’s partner Dr. Majida is being a little more scientific about the matter.” Marcus went on. “He’s not letting personal feelings interfere with the pursuit of the truth. Tractors were brought onto the beach and pulled the lost fishing boat in. Dr. Majida took tissue samples from the craft and had them examined by a specialist. He discovered that the sample taken from the boat matched samples they’d taken from the specimen they had in captivity five years earlier.”

“So, it is the same monster from before?” Brock assumed.

“Well… maybe.” Marcus replied. “Dr. Stuwart and his assistant, Dr. Akemi Togawa, think there is a possibility of two monsters of the same species being involved here. Now, that could just be another attempt on their part to avoid facing a terrible truth about the monster they helped raise, or there may in fact be two separate Kaiju. Stuwart has taken a trip to the Japanese Alps to follow up on a lead. There was a sighting of something big up that way, and also some supposed footprints. If that does indeed turn out to be the case, then things are going to get a whole lot more interesting…”

“I have a bit of news of my own that you may not have heard about yet.” Brock changed topics. Marcus lifted an eyebrow curiously, inviting him to go on. “It’s about that new monster who appeared after you shot down Dr. Who’s helicopter. It turns out that the doctor knew about it ahead of time. He was perhaps even studying it. He’d given it a name, Gamera. Somehow, he knew it was out there in the ice.”

“And how do you know that?” Marcus inquired.

“That information was amongst one of the many files Mai brought in with her as a bargaining chip.” Brock replied with an uncharacteristically smug smile. “He mentioned the beast’s name several times. I don’t think it was a coincidence that Dr. Who’s helicopter was flying out there at that very spot carrying a massive bomb. In fact, I believe that was entirely the point. I think Dr. Who was on that chopper and I imagine his plan was to release Gamera from his icy prison as a distraction for our forces. The monster was meant to keep us busy long enough for him to escape.”

“Well, if that was the case, then it didn’t work out too well for him.” Marcus noted grimly.

The next morning, a flight traffic control officer named Kenjo was just getting to his station within the tower of Haneda airport. It was early on an overcast day, but the air traffic below was already quite busy. The terminal was crammed with people. Japan was on the cusp of a summer holiday, and it seemed as though everyone wanted to travel.

“We’re jam-packed today boss.” Sachi, Kenjo’s assistant, greeted him with a list of all of the flights.

“Yeah, we’re going to earn our paychecks today.” Kenjo sighed, looking over the list. “Did you…?”

“Yeah, the tea is warm, ready, and waiting.” Sachi pointed over to a waiting tray.

“You’re the best Sachi.” Kenjo said with a smile.

“That’s what they pay me for.” Sachi noted.

Kenjo picked up a cup of tea and then went over to his station next to the window. Before he could sit down, he noticed something odd out in the bay nearby the outermost runway. It was an odd churning in the water. It was very out of place.

“Hey Sachi, is the navy running some sort of drills today?” Kenjo asked puzzled. “Maybe something with submarines?”

“Huh…?” Sachi replied.

“Perhaps some type of experiment?” Kenjo added. “Come and take a look at this.”

Before Sachi even got out of his chair, Kenjo witnessed something quite shocking. A big green head surfaced in the bay. The head was quickly joined by matching shoulders and then the body of a hairy, devilish fiend. For a moment, Kenjo was too stunned to say anything, but he had read all of the sensational news stories. He knew this had to be the Green Gargantua that had been attacking ships and eating people alive. The monster was walking out of the sea and making its way onto dry land. The Gargantua walked upright like a man, which somehow made what it was feel even more unsettling to watch.

The Green Gargantua cried out in a shrill tone, alerting the entire airport to his approach. Patrons sitting at an outdoor restaurant at the edge of the tarmac were the first to see him coming. The people there began to panic, stampeding away from the monster as quickly as they could. Tables were flipped over, and chairs sent flying in the melee. The crowd was falling all over themselves to get away. It didn’t take long for the pandemonium to spread to the entire airport. Everywhere, frightened people were causing mayhem as the green giant approached.

At first, the Green Gargantua was confused by all of the sights and sounds around him. As the monster approached the main terminal, he passed by a large airliner that had just finished boarding. It was filled to the brim with passengers he’d loved to get his hands on, only he didn’t recognize it as a potential food source. The passengers on the airplane, however, were more than aware of it. When they saw the Green Gargantua though the portside windows, all of them were pushing and screaming to get out of the only exit at the front from the plane. Many people were crushed trying to escape.

Fortunately, the Green Gargantua wasn’t aware of the turmoil unfolding at his feet. He was too distracted by everything else going on around him. Police sirens were filling the runway area as emergency responders were coming onto the scene. Flight crews in front of the monster were making a hasty retreat as he stepped towards them. More than anything, the creature was preoccupied with the sound of the jets. In particular, there was a flight right above him that was in the process of making a landing. The crew of the plane were blissfully unaware of what awaited them below. The Green Gargantua looked up, scanning the sky for the source of the noise. Over in the tower, Kenjo was frantically giving orders for the inbound flight to abort their landing.

“Attention! Attention! All aircraft are to pull away!” Kenjo shouted desperately. “Alert, alert, don’t land!”

The pilot above heard his warning in just the nick of time and pulled up and away from the monster. With the plane gone, the green giant moved further into the airport. He finally noticed people moving around and realized that food was within his grasp. He grew excited and crashed his way through one of the airport’s elevated walkways, which connected the outer terminal to the main service hub.

Through the PA system, Kenjo had one of the ladies in the control tower start broadcasting an urgent evacuation order. It was nearly meaningless by that point though. Anyone in the vicinity of the airport was already well aware of the danger. As they were transmitting, the monster’s hideous face passed right by the tower and the whole operations staff held their breath hoping to God that he didn’t look over and see them. The windows of the tower, however, were tinted by design to keep sun-glare out and the Green Gargantua couldn’t see past it. Kenjo and his team were safe for the time being.

The same could not be said for an unfortunate woman who’d lingered in her nearby office for just a little too long. The Green Gargantua spotted her and punched his way right through the wall of her building. He seized the woman and pulled her out towards a terrible fate. The monster’s nasty teeth were gnashing in anticipation. Dust and debris fell onto other people within the building as the giant pulled his arm out. A hunk of dislodged cement crushed one doomed soul. Before anyone could do anything, the woman was eaten alive. It was at least over quickly. The monster’s jagged teeth made sort work of her. She was gone within seconds and the green giant callously spit out what remained of her clothing for the world to see. The texture of the fabric apparently didn’t agree with him.

Just as the Green Gargantua was finishing up with his victim, the sun began to creep out from behind the clouds. The moment the monster noticed it, he cried out angrily. He turned around and began to run full tilt back towards the water. He moved with a speed faster than any other monster had been seen capable of, at least on the ground. Once the green giant was close enough, he jumped towards the sea and splashed down, immediately disappearing below.

The next day, there was an emergency meeting at the newly built Japanese Defense Agency Headquarters in Tokyo. The city was still partially being rebuilt following Godzilla’s original attack, but it was no longer the mess of ruins that it had once been. The nation as a whole was starting to heal along with its capitol’s streets. This new monster, however, was threatening that peace and security.

The Japanese had given the Green Gargantua a proper name, Gaira. Their military were determined to put him down as soon as possible. To that end, Gaira had demonstrated at least one major weakness that they could potentially exploit, sunlight. Like Baragon before him, Gaira seemed to be averse to bright lights. Dr. Stuwart theorized this was likely due to the fact that he’d chosen to live within the depths of the ocean for so long. Such as it was, the Japanese Imperial Army were already hard at work rigging up spotlights to put onto various military vehicles. If they could blind Gaira, they would have a method to pin him down for their big guns to go to work.

The Archimedes’ Masers had arrived and were being deployed. Additionally, the Japanese possessed several new anti-Kaiju weapons they’d been developing and were itching to field test them. First, they had built a crude type of laser turret. As basic as the units were, the lasers were still quite powerful. Second, the Japanese invented a novel electronic node which acted like a sea-mine. It was deployed in water and would discharge powerful jolts of electricity to any target that wandered too close to them. They were principally designed to protect Tokyo Bay from Godzilla, but given Gaira’s affinity to water, they’d likely come in handy to counter him as well.

The Archimedes fleet could be useful for hunting Gaira in the ocean once they arrived, but at present, they were on the trail of Godzilla, who was still considered to be the larger threat. If not by sheer destructive power, then by simple body mass. Godzilla stood fifty meters tall, while Gaira was projected to stand roughly at forty-five meters. The big difference though was Godzilla’s frame. He was built considerably heavier. There was no way to measure him accurately, but estimates calculated that Godzilla could weigh in at twice the tonnage of Gaira. No matter how you cut it, he was the bigger threat.

It wasn’t long before there was a fourth attack by Gaira. This time, the green giant targeted a night club that wasn’t in Tokyo, but instead along the outskirts of the city. Gaira had bypassed most of the Tokyo’s defenses by swimming up the Edo River and surfacing outside of the city limits. Marcus was reading the report out loud in the ready room with Brock and a few other men. It described the events of the incident in great detail.

“A lounge singer was eaten.” Marcus noted grimly. “It says she was just finishing the first song in her set, a song titled: “The Words Get Stuck in My Throat.” Brock snickered after hearing that. Marcus looked up at him sharply, and Brock awkwardly pretended to be coughing. “That’s not really funny Brock…” Marcus frowned at his friend, admonishing him.

Then what happened settled in and Marcus cracked a smile too despite himself. He caught Brock trying to hold in another laugh. The big man’s whole body was shaking from stifling it and his face was turning beet red. Something about that made the whole thing even funnier. Marcus cleared his throat and bit his lip, trying not to laugh too. He looked away to regain his composure. The poor victim deserved better than to be openly mocked like that, and the other men wouldn’t benefit seeing them do it.

“Anyhow…” Marcus finally went on with the briefing. “Gaira was driven north into the countryside by the lights of Tokyo. They lit up the whole city to ensure the monster didn’t come that way. The Japanese are mobilizing to pursue him.”

At that very moment in Japan, Gaira was terrorizing the countryside. He’d ravaged several small villages in his wake before the Imperial Military could do anything about it. Finally, they set up a defense line to prevent the Gaira from penetrating any further north. Local civilians build a series of bonfires as a makeshift fence to keep Gaira from advancing forward into anymore settlements. In the meantime, more columns of tanks and trucks flooded into the area from every direction.

To their credit, the Japanese were quick to get organized. They rushed in the special equipment they’d set aside just for Gaira. The electrodes and lasers were deployed ahead of him while the Maser units were coming in from roads on the flanks. Archimedes had built two additional Maser cannons since the last engagement with Anguirus, which brought their strength up to five total units. They had an impressive amount of firepower all on their own. If they could just be maneuvered into position, then the Japanese had an excellent chance of inflicting a lot of damage.

Helicopter air recon located Gaira and reported his position and course to the forward field Headquarters. The bonfires used to repulse Gaira away from residents were expanded. New ones were built to corral him into a specific area where the Japanese would be lying in wait. The only trouble was Gaira was advancing quicker than they had anticipated. The military engineers needed more time to get their newly developed lasers placed and plugged into a power source. Those weapons simply couldn’t operate independently.

The first line of troops Gaira happened upon were meant to use their flood lights to slow him down, but the nervous grunts panicked and opened fire on the monster without orders. Their forces only consisted of tanks and jeeps equipped with anti-tank guns. The Masers had not yet arrived at the front to get into position to support them. The half-hazard attack started well enough, several direct hits were landed, and Gaira definitely felt the shots. The air was quickly filled with the smell of burning hair and flesh as some of the Green Gargantua’s fur caught fire. Gaira absolutely did not like being shot at. It was clear from the outset that he was not built as tough as other monsters the military had faced off against up until that point. Gaira was being visibly damaged by tank rounds. Though the wounds were mostly superficial, they were having an effect.

Gaira angerly charged the defensive line, utilizing his speed to rapidly close the gap. Many of the Japanese soldiers recognized the danger and abandoned their positions in mass. As soon as Gaira reached the row of tanks and trucks, he methodically started to pick them up and throw them. In a particularly vicious fashion, Gaira seemed to be intentionally aiming the vehicles at civilian housing to inflict maximum damage. Within moments, the first skirmish of the battle was over. Gaira had wiped out the first defensive line along with several homes.

The fight was far from over though. Ahead of Gaira, a deadly trap was still being set. The laser turrets were in position hidden amongst the trees and the special electrodes meant for Tokyo Bay were being deployed into a large lake. Japanese command anticipated Gaira would go for the water once the attack began. They needed more time to finish their preparations though. Gaira had sped up his march since the fight. They’d riled him up and he was looking for more army units to smash. Gaira took out some of his frustrations demolishing a bridge. He barreled his body through it.

Japanese command sent in three helicopters to slow Gaira down. They needed to buy just a little more time to patch their electrodes into the power grid and allow the Masers to get into position. Mountain roads were not an ideal place for the heavy machines to be maneuvering, but they had nearly arrived. After a short game of cat and mouse, Gaira downed two out of the three choppers sent to distract him. The first two pilots made the critical mistake of buzzing down too low. Gaira simply jumped up and grabbed them. The third pilot was more cautious. He made sure to keep his craft too high for Gaira to pouch on. Instead, the airman backed his helicopter up slowly and gradually brought Gaira into the target area where the ambush was hopefully ready and waiting.

Gaira was so pissed off at that point, focusing all his energy on swatting at the helicopter above him, that he didn’t even notice mass of forces arrayed just two hundred yards in front of him. That was all about to change though. The Masers had finally arrived and were deploying their cannons. The units swung their barrels out wide and carefully corrected their aim. At the same time, the lasers were plugged in and ready in the woods. The electrodes in the lake had been connected and powered up too. Tanks on the flanks were ready to move forward to keep Gaira inside the trap. Finally, the trucks with built-in spotlights were given the go-ahead to begin the operation. They switched their lights on and pointed the beams directly at Gaira’s face.

Gaira was caught totally unprepared. He shrieked out in anger and surprise, bringing his hand to his face to shield himself from the glare of the spotlights. He’d stopped in his tracks, making him the perfect target. The laser turrets began to fire. The first ray caught Gaira in the shin, throwing him off balance. Then the Masers opened up. One of their beams hit Gaira directly in the face. Gaira fell backwards as if he’d been clotheslined. Once on the ground, he began to crawl on his hands and knees, desperately trying to take cover. The Masers, however, kept up the attack, following Gaira wherever he went. It was clear to everyone present that the weapons were quite effective against the Green Gargantua. Where Anguirus had been able to shrug off several shots, Gaira couldn’t stand up to them whatsoever. His only option was to evade.

Gaira tried to escape into a thicket of trees, but even that did him very little good. The vegetation was ripped to pieces around him. Any cover he might have enjoyed was quickly cut down. The Maser crews were putting in a magnificent performance. Again and again, they raked Gaira’s body up and down with bolts of electricity. Gaira continued to retreat to the side, hoping to find some sort of relief, but it wasn’t to be. He simply couldn’t get out of the Maser’s range and nothing he was hiding behind could stand up to their firepower. More and more trees were blown to bits as Gaira kept scrambling. He was falling all over himself. The Gargantua had no defense against such weapons. All of the time, the Masers managed to keep a good bead on Gaira. He wasn’t given an inch of breathing room to even think about counterattacking. Gaira’s back arched in pain with every shot. He fell over from the powerful barrage, practically helpless.

Eventually, Gaira found himself at the edge of the lake. As predicted, he instinctively retreated towards the water, but it was a big mistake. The electrodes were waiting there for him within. The moment Gaira jumped into the water the electrodes set themselves off. They shocked the ever-living hell out of Gaira, sending strong jolts of electricity shooting up his legs to the rest of his body. He shuddered violently from the voltage.

Now that Gaira had come back out into the open, the soldiers could see just how much of a beating he’d taken from the Masers. Gaira had open wounds all up and down his body. The assault had taken certainly taken its toll. Moreover, every moment Gaira stood in the water, soaking up more electricity, the weaker he was becoming. His strength was fading fast. The military was literally beating the life out of him. The Masers did not just let the electrodes take over though. They kept up their own attacks, hammering away at Gaira. Gaira was seizing up from being shocked, he could not move his legs to escape the water. All he could do was howl in pain. Gaira’s legs suddenly gave out and he slipped down towards the water. He reached out with his right hand to brace himself and avoid completely falling in, but his arm gave the electricity a third avenue to travel up into the rest of his body, giving him an even bigger jolt. Gaira sprang back up to his feet.

More Maser bolts poured into Gaira, adding to the already extensive damage. He took a nasty shot to the face, which took a lot of the remaining fight out of him. Gaira had grown so weak that he was not even able to react to the pain anymore. He slumped forward into the water, exposing his whole body to the power electrical discharges. Gaira flipped over violently, fully emerging himself in the lake. Once on his back, he shook with powerful convulsions. Gaira whipped around in the water, struggling less and less with every passing second. The end was drawing near.

The nearby soldiers could see that victory was close at hand. Gaira was on the verge of death. This had been the most successful conventional attack on a Kaiju ever pulled off. Gaira simply lacked the toughness and durability of his predecessors and the trap had been very well laid for him. The only thing left to do was finish him off. However, just as it seemed like the fight was over, a roar could be heard from the backline of the Japanese defenses. A second monster had arrived on the scene. It looked much like Gaira, only its skin and fur were a tannish-brown mesh of color. Soon it became clear that it was another Gargantua. The new monster marched directly towards Gaira and inadvertently severed the power lines connected to the lasers and electrodes, denying power to each of them. The Maser units held their fire, waiting on fresh set of orders from the top.

Meanwhile, the Brown Gargantua came to Gaira’s rescue, pulling his head up and out of the water and getting an arm under him to support his weight. The Brown Gargantua looked back to the attacking forces and waved his arm up over his head in what looked like a plea to cease their attack. The gesture was oddly very human looking. Seeing that the military had already stopped of their own accord, the Brown Gargantua turned his attention back to Gaira, who was passed out in his arms. He pulled Gaira up to his feet, though the Green Gargantua was still largely unaware of what was going on around him.

Now that both of the monsters were upright, it was clear that the newly arrived Gargantua was much bigger than the Gaira. He was at least a head taller. The Brown Gargantua pulled Gaira out of the lake and moved him away from the defensive line. It was clear that he meant to retreat without a fight. Once the two monsters had entered the safety of the forest, the Brown Gargantua turned one final time and roared back to the soldiers. It was unclear if the gesture was meant as a thank you, or simply a form of intimidation. His own little way of discouraging the soldiers from following them.

Japanese Command elected to allow the Gargantuas to disengage. The troops were in no shape to continue the fight with so much of their defense in shambles. Even if they did have a mind to attack, the Masers wouldn’t be able to follow the monsters through the rough terrain of the wilderness anyways.

Just off the coast of the island of Kuna-Jima, Harold and Bernice Goldstein were out fishing on their private boat. Harold had just retired and wanted to start things off right with a nice relaxing fishing trip. Unfortunately, his wife insisted on coming with him. She detested fishing, but she assured Harold that she’d enjoy the boat ride, the sun, and the natural beauty of the ocean. It only took an hour for her to start complaining. And once she got started, there was no stopping her.

Harold tried to focus on his fishing, but more and more he was tempted to throw Bernice overboard. She had started drinking to pass the time, and she’d never been a pleasant drunk. It just made her louder and more belligerent. As if it were a Godsend, Harold suddenly got a strong bite on his line. He seized his pole and started the fight. For a minute straight, Harold reeled and pulled. Bernice was still talking non-stop in his ear, but he did his best to tone her out. Harold didn’t want anything to spoil his big moment. All of his buddies back home had big fish stories of their own, and he wanted to at least achieve parity with them, if not outright outshining them. Harold could tell whatever he’d hooked was very big.

Harold briefly glanced over to ensure his camera was where he left it. If he didn’t get a decent picture of his catch, none of his friends would believe him. Suddenly, Bernice was quiet for a moment. Harold thought he’d finally have a moment’s peace to enjoy the struggle between man and fish. But the silence didn’t last very long.

“Harold, what is that?” Bernice asked in a strange voice. Harold just ignored her, still very engrossed in what he was doing. “Harold, you need to take a look at this!” She added, somewhat more urgently. He still ignored her, starting to get a little irritated. “Harold…” She continued, not letting up.

“I’ll look in a minute!” Harold finally snapped at her. “I’m a little busy here.”

“DAMNIT HAROLD! THIS CAN’T WAIT!!!” She started to shout. “You need to look right now!!!” Harold could almost see his fish through the water. He was so close. Bernice finally resorted to grabbing him by the shoulder and shaking him violently. She was starting to outright panic.

“FINE, WHAT THE HELL IS IT WOMAN?!” Harold turned to see that a massive object was moving towards their boat through the water. It looked like a mountain of jagged spikes. “SHIT…!” Harold got a sinking feel, realizing that they were in serious trouble. It was Godzilla. Harold let his pole slip through his fingers. The fish on the other side of the line pulled it clear overboard.

Harold scrambled to get to the wheel and start up the boat, but the engine refused to turn over. Godzilla was already bearing down on them, adding to the tension and adrenaline pounding through Harold’s veins. Bernice was screaming, losing her mind as the massive monster got closer and closer. Harold tried the engine again and was more successful with his second attempt. The boat came to life with a putter, but by that time, there was no point in even trying to maneuver. They were not going to be able to get away in time. Both Harold and Bernice were terrified. Whatever happened next was out of their hands and they knew it.

Godzilla passed right by Harold and Bernice’s tiny boat and the massive amount of water he displaced in his wake sent them riding at the top of a wave headed for the island. Harold tried to steer, but he had no meaningful control. They were along for the ride, no matter where it took them. The wave rolled up and over and beach until it ran out of steam. The small boat safely came to rest in the sand, only listing slight to port. Harold and Bernice were shocked to still be alive.

Out in the ocean, Godzilla moved on, having never even noticed the couple or their boat. Harold took the opportunity to pick up his camera and shoot a quick photo. He may have lost his catch, but at least he’d have a whale of a tale to tell his buddies when he got home. All around the boat, fish and been beached along with Harold and Bernice. To Harold’s very pleasant surprise, his fishing pole was resting in the sand along with the Marlin that he’d been fighting. The hook was still in its mouth. Harold decided that even though he hadn’t reeled it in himself, he’d still consider it his catch.

Before Harold or Bernice could do anything else, they were buzzed by an Archimedes helicopter passing right over their boat. The pilot of the chopper paused briefly, taking a look down to assess the situation. Once he’d determined they were in no immediate distress, he moved on, continuing to follow Godzilla.

Back in Japan, two days had passed since the military’s battle with Gaira. Dr. Makida had made a remarkable discovery in the interim. The cells of the two Gargantuas matched perfectly. Not only were they two members of the same species, but also blood relatives, perhaps brothers. Since the battle, neither of the Gargantuas had been sighted despite numerous helicopter patrols. It had been noted during the attack at the airport that Gaira was particularly interested in the sounds aircraft made. Perhaps he’d learned to avoid them? Such as it was, a new approach was required.

Akira and his air group were brought into the fold. Their company was being trained as Japan’s specialized anti-Kaiju unit, earmarked specifically for dealing with monsters. Each of the pilots had seen combat with at least one or more Kaiju over the course of their careers, none of them more so than Akira though. Thus, he was the obvious choice for command. Akira suggested something new and innovative for locating their quarry. He advised using high-altitude spy planes to comb the search area, utilizing their belly cameras to spot the monsters from afar. If they kept the jets flying sub-supersonic, there would be no sonic booms to give away their approach and they would be too far up to be spotted by the naked eye. The brass like the idea and approved it promptly. With a plan in place, it was quickly put in motion.

The next day, Akira found himself escorting one of the spy aircraft in his fighter. Both of their aircraft were flying so slowly, it felt like they were loitering in the sky like leaves on the wind. After three hours, Akira was starting to regret suggesting this strategy. The mission was an intensely boring slog. Dr. Stuwart encouraged them to concentrate their efforts on areas containing large bodies of water and they were doing just that. Gaira seemed to be adapted to life in water, and he had demonstrated a certain level of dependence on regular contact with it.

“I think I have something sir.” The spy plane’s pilot radioed over to Akira, waking him out of his near stupor.

“What do you got?” Akira replied back.

“Down below sir.” He answered. “Probable contact.”

“Very well, I’ll go have a closer look.” Akira put his plane into a lazy dive. Little by little, the landscape below grew in detail. Before long, Akira could make out a two moving objects, one brown and one green. As he got closer, Akira realized it was the Gargantuas. They were still together. Not only that, but they were fighting. Akira saw the brown one club the green one hard with the trunk of a tree. After that, an all-out brawl erupted between the two of them. The Gargantuas tossed each other around for a while, but in the end, it was a fight the brown one seemed to win. Gaira was sent running and Sanda, as the Brown Gargantua was now being called, quickly gave chase. “Base, this is Akira. I’ve spotted the targets. It looks like the two brothers have had a bit of a falling out. They’re on the move heading south.”

Over the next couple of hours, several things became apparent. First, the military realized that Gaira was heading directly towards Tokyo again. Second, Sanda was in hot pursuit of him. Gaira was smaller and faster, so he’d managed to put a little distance between himself and his brother, but he’d never quite managed to shake him. Third, the military discovered that Gaira had no interest in fighting them whatsoever. He ran right through several of their defense lines, not even bothering to slow down when they shot at him. His soul concern seemed to be escaping. The final thing, Gaira had apparently gotten over his fear of bright lights. All of Tokyo was lit up like Vegas as he approached, but it didn’t dissuade him from entering the city.

The military was scrambling to get their forces inside the city to defend the population. Unfortunately, they had been caught fairly flatfooted. It was too late to evacuate anyone. They never expected Gaira would be bold enough to enter the boundaries of Tokyo. That was an oversight which could cost the residents dearly. Tanks, trucks, troops, and Masers flooded into the city streets to intercept Gaira before he could cause too much havoc.

Once inside Tokyo, Gaira slowed down. His urge to escape was trumped by his urge to eat. There were numerous opportunities around him that were hard to ignore. Gaira stalked the streets, his eyes darting around looking for targets. All too soon, he found vulnerable people to victimize. The streets were jammed with cars stuck in gridlock. Those who were too slow to abandon their vehicles fell under Gaira’s grasp. He picked up a convertible full of screaming passengers and emptied it out. He discarded the car the moment it was out of meaty goodies.

Just down the street, two Masers and an escorting platoon of tanks were closing in on Garia. He spotted them and well-remembered the thrashing they’d given him earlier. Gaira immediately took flight again, making his way to the harbor area. Freedom was within sight. As soon as Gaira was back in the ocean, he’d be safe from the military’s retaliation. Once he’d lost them, he could come back and hit any Japanese costal town he liked with impunity. The Japanese shoreline would be his to control, and his to ravage. There was only one major problem though. The Japanese coast had already been claimed by another monster. A bigger and meaner one, and he just so happened to be rising up out of Tokyo Bay at that very moment.

Godzilla suddenly appeared in the middle of Gaira’s escape route. Gaira stopped on sight, his feet skidding along the cement as he slid to a halt. After that, Gaira just stood there staring in shock. The monster before him was probably twice his size. Godzilla wasn’t actually a whole lot taller than Gaira, but he was built ever so much more solid. The sheer amount of mass Godzilla displaced with his heavier frame wasn’t lost on Gaira either. The Green Gargantua wasn’t sure what to do next. He wasn’t certain of the new arrival’s intentions. Gaira took up a defensive stance just to be safe. He was clearly intimidated by Godzilla. He shrieked out a warning to stay away, but it was a warning that was wholly ignored. Godzilla advanced out of Tokyo Bay and directly towards Gaira. Gaira impulsively rushed at Godzilla and attempted to push him over. Garia, however, bounced off Godzilla like he’d hit a solid wall. The King of the Monsters hardly budged at all. His body mass, along with his tail, kept him well-anchored.

Gaira took a step back, alarmed that his attack had gone so poorly. He wasn’t given any time to try anything else. Godzilla swiped at Gaira with his clawed hand and sent him tumbling away. Gaira recovered quickly, using his agility to spring right back to his feet. Gaira realized that a frontal assault had been a bad idea and so he shifted tactics. He wheeled around Godzilla left side in an effort to get behind him. Godzilla countered by trying to sweep the legs out from under Gaira with his tail, but the Green Gargantua was nimble enough to jump over it as it flew under him.

Gaira landed, summersaulting forward, and rolling headfirst back onto his feet. The maneuver gave Gaira an advantage in position. Godzilla was facing the completely wrong direction at that point. Gaira took advantage, running up and jumping onto Godzilla’s back. He secured his position by wrapping one arm around Godzilla’s neck while pounding the back of his head with his free fist. The boney spines protruding out of the back of Godzilla’s head and neck quickly made that strategy unappealing for Gaira to pursue any further. Instead, he lurched forward with his tusked mouth and bit into the side of Godzilla’s neck. This tactic proved to be more fruitful as his teeth sank deep into Godzilla’s flesh. Blood began to drip from the wound, which helped Gaira’s confidence. He’d finally done some damage.

Godzilla wasn’t just going to sit there and take it though. The King of the Monsters staggered forward, bent down, and bucked Gaira clean off. Gaira was sent crashing head over heels into a building. The whole structure collapsed under his weight. Gaira was dazed, sitting upside down in the rubble. Godzilla wasn’t waiting to let him recover. He came forward with an outstretched foot, planning to step onto Gaira’s head. Gaira saw it coming and got his hands up just in time to keep his face from being stomped on. Undeterred, Godzilla simply switched targets and stamped onto Gaira’s chest instead. The blow knocked the wind out of Gaira. The Green Gargantua feebly tried to deflect the follow up attacks, but he was in real trouble. Godzilla had the opportunity to finish him off right then and there.

As Godzilla prepared to bring his foot down again, this time with all of his body weight behind it, he was suddenly pulled backwards. His foot came down and missed Gaira’s head by just two meters. Godzilla angrily turned and looked back to see that Sanda was standing behind him and had pulled on his tale, dragging him away from Gaira. When Sanda saw that Godzilla was looking at him, he flinched, understanding that he had brought all of the King of the Monster’s attention to himself. Sanda was about to drop Godzilla’s tail, but it was already too late. Godzilla whipped his tail as hard as he could and sent Sanda stumbling backwards into another building, leveling it.

Godzilla turned his attention back to Gaira, but the Green Gargantua had disappeared from his resting place. Gaira suddenly charged into Godzilla’s side and latched onto his arm, biting down hard again. Godzilla roared and threw Gaira forward over his hip in a judo like movement. Gaira landed hard on his back. Once again in a vulnerable position. Godzilla’s back spines lit up. He was preparing to unleash a devastating strike with his atomic breath. Godzilla was stopped short though. Sanda came up and struck him in the back of the head with a construction crane that he’d pulled out from the ground. The metal frame crumpled around Godzilla’s face from the force of the swing.

Infuriated, Godzilla turned his attention to Sanda. His atomic attack was still building up. Sanda recognized the danger and hastily beat a retreat. He ducked behind and building for cover and kept running to put as much distance between himself and Godzilla as possible. Godzilla tried to follow Sanda with his breath, but it was just a split second behind him as it discharged. The beam cut right through the buildings Sanda was using as a shield. One by one, three buildings folded in half as they were caught up in the firestorm. Sanda on the other hand got away unscathed. Gaira meanwhile had snatched up a train car full of passengers and launched it at Godzilla. It sailed through the air and stuck him in the jaw, stopping the assault with his atomic breath. A whole city block was already on fire by that point.

The military had been taking up positions at various intersections and watching the battle unfold. They were waiting to launch a coordinated attack, but with the fight escalating so quickly and property damage going up drastically, they couldn’t justify waiting anymore. Tanks and Masers opened up on all three of the monsters, though Godzilla was the most obvious target. He was the biggest, slowest, and most stationary. Sanda and Gaira also got hit, but much less often. The two of them were moving around and actively trying to avoid being struck. Godzilla on the other hand just shrugged off most of the military’s firepower. He felt the Maser’s beams, but they weren’t doing any visible damage to him. Despite the pain, Godzilla ignored the military and focused on the two Gargantuas, deeming them as the greater threat.

The harbor area was taking a pounding. Missed shots from the Masers and tanks were blowing away chucks of buildings around the monsters, raining down debris. The fight was going Godzilla’s way. He was unyielding, just absorbing all of the punishment the Gargantuas were throwing at him while any damage they took was compounding as the battle dragged on.

Sanda and Gaira attacked Godzilla from both sides simultaneously, dividing his attention. Gaira came in first like a savage, slashing wildly at Godzilla’s face with his claws. Sanda put more thought into his attack, hitting Godzilla in the back with a chunk of cement that he’d pulled away from one of the demolished buildings. Then Sanda grappled with Godzilla, giving Gaira a chance to score a more meaningful blow. Gaira wrapped his hands around Godzilla’s neck, trying to choke the life out of him. For his efforts, Gaira was blasted at close range by Godzilla’s atomic breath and sent flying backwards. He crashed through a building and was blown clear through to the other side. Gaira was very badly burnt in the attack. His hide simply could not withstand the power of Godzilla’s breath.

Curiously, Godzilla ignored Sanda, who was still holding onto him. Instead, he kept going after Gaira, who was trying to recover on the ground. Sanda was doing everything in his power to keep Godzilla away from Garia, but it wasn’t working. Again, he resorted to clutching onto Godzilla’s tail to hold him back. Sanda dug his heels into the street and eventually managed to bring Godzilla to a standstill. Soon enough though, the King of the Monsters grew annoyed with Sanda’s antics and lifted him clean off the ground with the strength of his tail. As soon as Sanda was as high as Godzilla could lift him, the King of the Monsters brought him back down to earth hard. Both of Sanda’s legs got caught and crushed underneath Godzilla’s tail when it landed, and he was forced to let go. Sanda was clearly hurt in the exchange, grasping at his left knee. Godzilla had a golden opportunity to go after the Brown Gargantua at that moment but chose not to. Instead, he continued to focus his attention on Gaira.

Gaira by that point had already retreated though. Being true to his cowardly nature, the Green Gargantua chose to abandon his brother to Godzilla’s wrath. Not caring at all what happened to Sanda, Gaira was solely focused on his own survival. Gaira assumed Sanda’s demise would buy him a couple of minutes to escape, not realizing that Godzilla was already hot on his trail. Looking back, Gaira saw in horror that Godzilla was pursuing him. He jumped into the water and began to swim as fast as he could to get away. Godzilla crashed into the bay behind him, giving chase.

Lagging far behind, Sanda was hobbling after Godzilla and Gaira. He didn’t have a chance of catching either of them though, clearly he had a banged-up leg. Sanda slipped into the water and padded away from the Tokyo. While the port-quarter of the city had sustained heavy damage, overall, Tokyo had managed to come out of the battle relatively intact considering three Kaiju had been battling in her streets.

…….
Custom Godzilla Modeler

Ashram52
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ashram52 »

For anyone who's interested, I forgot to mention this yesterday, but Soran is another Dark Horse Godzilla comics character. Their dollar store version of Rodan. Ugly as hell. Only had a handful of appearances. Definitely obscure. A perfect redshirt to sacrifice in a cameo appearance.

As always, some Pictures:

Custom Godzilla Modeler

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

Big update! It was a pleasant surprise to see Gamera. He was one quasi toho monster I was not expecting to make an appearance. The arctic base assault was pretty good too. Nice to see you took into account the fact that it was in fact the Arctic and that there was no where else to flee to. So seldom do people actually factor that into the plot. Kind of intriguing how far your going from the source material, really making it your own work. Your expanding the whole Mechani Kong movie far beyond what the movie itself did.

mpsoldier
Samurai

Post by mpsoldier »

It was also a surprise to see the Gargantuan's. Really expanding the repertoire of Kaiju. It was about time to see human technology actually win out over something. Well something actual Kaiju sizes, we've seen the Condor and Mantises be killed by conventional weaponry. I liked seeing the dichotomy with the brothers; one mostly passive and avoiding bloodshed and Godzilla apparently sensing or knowing that. I think too often Kaiju works focus on the human characters so it's refreshing to see elements of social characteristics with the big guys. I'm not too knowledgeable about the brothers but I think you wrote on such a way that they were explained enough anyway. And yes I did not recognize the bird Kaiju and stopped reading to look him up before realizing you explained him later.