Godzilla -1.0 Review/Reaction (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Godzilla -1.0 Review/Reaction (SPOILERS)

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yamazaki already won a best director award for the film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla165 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:10 pm Did anyone else get positively creeped out by Godzilla’s bulging eyes as he was freezing? That was a genuinely eerie moment for me.
This actually reminds me. Why was Godzilla freezing up anyway? I thought they were trying to kill him with rapid changes in pressure,
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Godzilla165 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:10 pm Did anyone else get positively creeped out by Godzilla’s bulging eyes as he was freezing?
I thought that was a really nice touch. If you've ever watched someone pull up a goliath grouper from deep water, their eyes bulge because of the depressurization. Kinda silly. Kinda creepy. But just a really cool touch either way.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spuro wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:49 pm
Godzilla165 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:10 pm Did anyone else get positively creeped out by Godzilla’s bulging eyes as he was freezing? That was a genuinely eerie moment for me.
This actually reminds me. Why was Godzilla freezing up anyway? I thought they were trying to kill him with rapid changes in pressure,
Not freezing, that’s the explosive nature of coming up from the sea quickly.

Here’s a deep sea fish brought to the surface. I’m gonna spoiler tag it because it’s gross and disturbing.
Spoiler:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

^ LSD is correct. They sunk him so fast, certain parts of his body "crunched". So when he's rapidly depressurized, those same parts bulge out.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:53 pm
Spuro wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:49 pm
Not freezing, that’s the explosive nature of coming up from the sea quickly.

Here’s a deep sea fish brought to the surface. I’m gonna spoiler tag it because it’s gross and disturbing.
Spoiler:
Ah, my mistake! Still, those eyes were absolutely haunting, as was the moment when everyone accepted their fate when Godzilla was seconds away from vaporizing them all.

#BotM

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

The praise this movie has been getting is well-deserved. It's hard to put into words but thankfully everyone else is doing that for me.

It's kinda surreal to have seen not one, but two amazing Japanese Godzilla movies in the theater in the same decade.

The Odo Island scene and the boat chase were highlights in particular due to how unconventional they were for Godzilla set-pieces and were very well done.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Someone has to explain the science behind that frozen Godzilla. I wonder if it has to do with the Freeon and Co2?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaIsCool wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:13 pm Someone has to explain the science behind that frozen Godzilla. I wonder if it has to do with the Freeon and Co2?
Literally see what is above lol.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I was actually afraid that their plan to handle Godzilla would be difficult to put on film and make convincing, but they did a really good job of applying the science and making it work.

Shin's finale didn't feel nearly as intense. The one in this film felt like there were some real stakes. I didn't want anybody to die at the end.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

GodzillaIsCool wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:13 pm Someone has to explain the science behind that frozen Godzilla. I wonder if it has to do with the Freeon and Co2?
Decompression from rising out of the sea quickly.

EDIT: One scene I loved, now that I have context, is Godzilla howling in victory at the mushroom cloud he created. It felt like he was, “happy”, or satisfied with himself, almost like he got his revenge for what mankind did to him.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

As others have said it’s the rapid pressurization and decompression that made parts of the body bulge. The O2 and other gasses compress and then expand giving Godzilla a massive case of the bends.

I loved the movie. Yamazaki has made a Kurosawa level film. In 2023 it’s on the same level as Nolan’s Oppenheimer and could be looked at as a sequel even though there are only two references to the bomb in the movie.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah it really did look like he was freezing to me. I plan to see it again. I was kinda like the one guy at the meeting 'um Godzilla is a sea creature , a deep sea creature, shouldn't he be used to this?' Thankfully not.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

It's not the absolute depth/pressure but the speed at which it descended to it.
Last edited by Jomei on Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
king_ghidorah wrote:This thread is very, very confusing.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

ShyGuyPal101
Monsterland Worker

Post by ShyGuyPal101 »

I watched it tonight- What an amazing movie! I want to rewatch it already (wish it stayed in theaters longer). I consider it both a great movie and a great Godzilla movie. It is easily in my top 5 Godzilla movies- possibly ranking it number 3 or even number 2.

A couple of things I really appreciated about it:
- Godzilla is really mean, like you can tell he enjoys being destructive. Him throwing people around and him staring at his atomic breath I think highlight this well.
- Godzilla was also pretty scary. They did a good job of making him look like he's out for blood the entire time. I'm glad the trailers didn't show some of the scarier moments of the movie. Not 'scary' as in I wanted to cover my eyes, but scary as in of all the Godzillas in exitence I'd least want to deal with that Godzilla.
- The music is really great and fitting for the movie. You get the classic Godzilla music of course, but the new soundtracks are very great and memorable.
- All of the acting, even the young girl, were really great. I remember someone saying online that they watched it in Japanese and could tell what was going on most of the movie, even though they didn't know Japanese. Not a single actor or actress felt out of character or took me out of the movie.
- The characters themselves were very likeable, especially the main character. I was rooting for him the entire time.

I can see this being considered one of the best Godzilla movies and a fan favorite of many.

Also I did cry during the ending, that really got me. The people I went to the theater also cried at the end.
Some of the people in the theater also clapped at the end, which I've only seen happen maybe once before.
Last edited by ShyGuyPal101 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The final showdown in this movie is definitely an interesting one. Shikishima and Godzilla are on parallel trajectories until the end. Both are fighting against their homes: Shikishima against the self-destructive Imperial Japanese ideology and Godzilla against the crushing pressure of the ocean. Both are dragged into the abyss by their negative emotions: Shikishima metaphorically as he gives in to shame and despair to contemplate kamikaze suicide, and Godzilla literally as his blind rage leads him to barge into a trap and be plunged into the deep sea. At the last minute their courses finally diverge: Shikishima wins by choosing life and hope for the future, while Godzilla is destroyed by his own insistence on fighting to the death.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Jomei wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:03 pm I understand preferring Minus One to Shin. Liking any of the Monsterverse films more than those two does baffle me a bit, though I am also a defender of G-2014 and a fan of Skull Island.

To each their own, though.
At least for me, sometimes I just like to have the action hero Godzilla. I wouldn't want every Godzilla film to be like Minus One, Shin, or 1954.

They are beautiful films, but sometimes I don't want to sit through a depressing drama & I just want to see Godzilla fight another monster & be awesome. I grew up on the Heisei & Showa films & MV reminds me of that.

Also, I just really enjoy watching Godzilla in a big budget Hollywood film.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

I cried at three different moments in the movie I'll let anyone guess which ones but I was absolutely overwhelmed emotionally by this film, I literally ditched two birthday parties to see it on the big screen - bit of a selfish move but I would lie if I said I wouldn't do it again
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, brother. Birthdays will come again next year.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

ShyGuyPal101 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:14 am
Some of the people in the theater also clapped at the end, which I've only seen happen maybe once before.
That happened to me too! I actually came into this thread to ask if anyone else had their theater clap? When I think back to my childhood in the 2000's and how it felt like back then I couldn't share my love of Godzilla with many people it made me tear up a bit to see an Imax theater full of people clap for a Japanese Godzilla movie was a beautiful moment. As far as I can tell audiences seem to love this movie and that is amazing.