Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ShadowCloud
Ronin

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by ShadowCloud »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:20 pm I would agree with Miguel. SOG is a good film, and Minya comes off as cute and amusing. It's GR that marred his image. When I was growing up, GR would show up more on tv than SOG.

It's unfortunate Minya gets judged on one performance, like the earlier comment on how vs Megalon damaged Godzilla's rep for some audience.
I can't even argue with that and I'll be honest I felt like major hypocrite after making that comment. May have been a bit too try hard.

ShadowCloud
Ronin

Post by ShadowCloud »

Buuuut on the topic of both showa and unpopular opinions, I don't know how popular or not this is but I don't see what people see in the 62 suit and much prefer the 64 and 75 suit as the "definitive" or "trademark" showa godzilla if that makes sense.

What I DO like about it is the suit's bulk that makes him rightfully appear strong, while at the same time still being able to fight in hand to hand melee combat properly like any showa era godzilla suit.

But it's just the face that I dislike the most. I know most Godzilla's don't exactly look the best from the front but even the side profiles I'm just not a fan of. :godzilla1962:

MC_Lovecraft
Interpol Agent

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

I prefer that, in the English version of Godzilla 2000, we never learn just what the aliens are after. It makes them unknowable and therefor more threatening, IMO.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:19 pm I prefer that, in the English version of Godzilla 2000, we never learn just what the aliens are after. It makes them unknowable and therefor more threatening, IMO.
They still say they want regenerator g1 in the dub.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

tfw you just proved how awesome you are in a Hideaki Anno directed lead role, but then you get
Spoiler:
stuffed in the nuclear fridge by Yamazaki

Worse than getting Cranston'd in 2014 though not as bad as what DeKnight did to Rinko Kikuchi.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
king_ghidorah wrote:This thread is very, very confusing.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

G.H.B
Interpol Agent

Post by G.H.B »

^ okay but on a side note? Minami Hamabe Is really fucking pretty.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

G.H.B wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:47 pm ^ okay but on a side note? Minami Hamabe Is really fucking pretty.
Almost distractingly so. This, too, is the Anno touch. I'll never forget reading a Japanese tweet to the effect of, "Hideaki Anno apparently wants me to stare at Satomi Ishihara's lips for the entirety of a film's run."
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
king_ghidorah wrote:This thread is very, very confusing.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

MC_Lovecraft
Interpol Agent

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:35 pm
MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:19 pm I prefer that, in the English version of Godzilla 2000, we never learn just what the aliens are after. It makes them unknowable and therefor more threatening, IMO.
They still say they want regenerator g1 in the dub.
Yes, but it's the why that's left unsaid. In the original track, they're here for conquest, but in the dub, who knows? Taking over the world? Remaking themselves with Earth's strongest lifeform? Aliens are always creepier when you don't know. :keizer:

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Not my personal hot take but one from some of my friends, and it's an atom bomb of a take:
They did not care for/fell asleep to Godzilla 1954

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gojira18 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:11 pm Not my personal hot take but one from some of my friends, and it's an atom bomb of a take:
Do they commonly watch old movies from that era? G54 isn't exactly an action packed, post-Star Wars, blockbuster spectacle.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Spuro wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:29 pm
Gojira18 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:11 pm Not my personal hot take but one from some of my friends, and it's an atom bomb of a take:
Do they commonly watch old movies from that era? G54 isn't exactly an action packed, post-Star Wars, blockbuster spectacle.
Not sure, we tend not to talk about old movies of that era

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gojira18 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:35 pm
Spuro wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:29 pm
Not sure, we tend not to talk about old movies of that era
Then that might be why they didn't like it. Not to sound like an old fart, but a lot of people this day and age don't watch any movies older than the 1990s or 1980s. A science fiction/horror film from the 1950s is probably going to feel 'off' to their sensibilities.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I watched almost every Godzilla movie with one of my friends and 54 was among his least favorites. He found it boring and he's not someone who really cares about the historical importance of a movie. He didn't care for Mothra vs. Godzilla, either. He's someone who was usually all about the kaiju action, though there were exceptions; he did enjoy the political satire of Shin and he liked Monster Zero despite it being very light on action.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:32 am
I watched almost every Godzilla movie with one of my friends and 54 was among his least favorites. He found it boring and he's not someone who really cares about the historical importance of a movie. He didn't care for Mothra vs. Godzilla, either. He's someone who was usually all about the kaiju action, though there were exceptions; he did enjoy the political satire of Shin and he liked Monster Zero despite it being very light on action.
I hate to admit it, but when I first got the 2006Classic Media DVD that had Gojira I was underwhelmed with it on my first watch. I had been so hyped up for it from reading about what a masterpiece it was from Godzilla fan sites that I think I might have had too high of expectations. With subsequent viewings I have a higher opinion of it. It is definitely a slow moving 70 year old black and white movie and I can understand that a modern audience might not jive with it despite its classic status.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

They also like G98....

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I too this day prefer Kotm and need to rewatch Gojira. Great film but I personally think the fandom holds on to close to the first film is always the best rule with Gojira.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G.H.B
Interpol Agent

Post by G.H.B »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:25 pm I too this day prefer Kotm and need to rewatch Gojira. Great film but I personally think the fandom holds on to close to the first film is always the best rule with Gojira.
No. Even if it’s not a personal favorite, most people proclaim Gojira the best film in the franchise due to it being a genuine masterpiece of a movie that has a lot of heavy shit to say.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Monster Zero and Shin do have engaging plots; MZ has intrigue, and Shin the satirical view of officials in a crisis. G54 is a slow burn that builds the elements of the story gradually, but also very effectively. That approach doesn't appeal to everyone.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

G.H.B wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:44 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:25 pm I too this day prefer Kotm and need to rewatch Gojira. Great film but I personally think the fandom holds on to close to the first film is always the best rule with Gojira.
No. Even if it’s not a personal favorite, most people proclaim Gojira the best film in the franchise due to it being a genuine masterpiece of a movie that has a lot of heavy shit to say.
Gojira is a great film. I just don't feel it's the best Godzilla film nor should fans be looked at like we have as many heads as Ghidorah we they say it's not the best.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojira-Fan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:19 am I hate to admit it, but when I first got the 2006Classic Media DVD that had Gojira I was underwhelmed with it on my first watch. I had been so hyped up for it from reading about what a masterpiece it was from Godzilla fan sites that I think I might have had too high of expectations. With subsequent viewings I have a higher opinion of it. It is definitely a slow moving 70 year old black and white movie and I can understand that a modern audience might not jive with it despite its classic status.
I had the exact opposite reaction.

I thought King of the Monsters was boring and it was actually a film my friends and I made fun of when I was younger.

However, when I got the Classic Media Gojira disk, not knowing it was that different, it became one of my favorite movies. You know that meme of that dude waking up? KOTM: I sleep, Gojira: Real shit.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.