Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Godzilla165 »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:02 am Got mine, the eyes are fine.
How’s the figure overall?

As an aside, I can safely say that my excitement for the Minus One figure is at an all time high now after seeing the movie. What I saw onscreen versus what I can see in videos of the toy are pretty damn comparable.

#BotM

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Godzilla165 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:30 pm
Poe Ghostal wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:02 am Got mine, the eyes are fine.
How’s the figure overall?

As an aside, I can safely say that my excitement for the Minus One figure is at an all time high now after seeing the movie. What I saw onscreen versus what I can see in videos of the toy are pretty damn comparable.
I'll freely admit I am not the most discerning collector when it comes to paint and even sculpt accuracy - it matters to me, but I am not a nitpicker (articulation is probably most important to me). But I am really happy with this figure. The articulation allows for more "character" (if that makes sense) than any other SHMA I own.

Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

skwonderfactory
Ronin

Post by skwonderfactory »

Does anyone know where I can buy an S.H.MonsterARts Godzilla (2023) figure for ~$150 with shipping to the U.S. that takes a few days? I saw the film a few hours ago and my desire to own this figure is ccrazzzyyyy

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Received my batch of BANDAI -1.0 goodness yesterday, including SHMA Goji '23. There's so much going with this figure, that makes me feel like the higher price point is justified, although it isn't any bigger than your regular SHMA Goji (unlike Shin, Earth or Ultima). It's so filigrane looking, yet feels kinda solid and sturdy and there are a lot of almost microscopic parts, which actually move (e. g. individual toes!) and are not found on any other SHMA release so far. My copy also has great paint and fine eyes. It's a close tie between this one and Gamera Rebirth for best SHMA yet. Get this figure if you can!
Size DOES matter!

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Wait so I'm confused is this figure good or not? I feel like I saw so many people making fun and hating on this figure that it made it seem like it SHMA was the worst company in the world for even putting this figure out. Even comparing it to NECA standards and now I see everyone praising it to be one of the better SHMA figures out there and I admit it does look really good. So am I out of the loop with maybe a joke or was it just the usual "doom and gloom" before the figure is actual in hand like so many times?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

DoubleDam21 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:16 pm Wait so I'm confused is this figure good or not? I feel like I saw so many people making fun and hating on this figure that it made it seem like it SHMA was the worst company in the world for even putting this figure out. Even comparing it to NECA standards and now I see everyone praising it to be one of the better SHMA figures out there and I admit it does look really good. So am I out of the loop with maybe a joke or was it just the usual "doom and gloom" before the figure is actual in hand like so many times?
Mileage very much varies with this one. Some people are getting good paint on their copies, some are getting horrendous misapplications (the eyes completely not being painted in the right spot for one). On top of the usual QC dice roll with SHMA. At least, that’s what it appears to be from the sidelines and watching some reviews.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So mine showed up today with shockingly perfect teeth and eye paint applications. I’ve also noticed that the dry brushing is individually applied per figure so i cannot speak on how the entire release’s appearance looks. But I’m really enjoying the one i got, again it helps knowing that in the film he has much more black on him than he does tan, as tan seemed to imply slight surface scarring in specific areas.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

The craziest thing about this figure are the dorsal plates (really more like spines in this incarnation). They're like a forest of thistles and surprisingly pointy. I'm terrified of this thing falling on the floor on its back - I feel like most of the spines would snap like kindling.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Hold up, y'all have your preorders already arriving? BBTS hasn't even shipped mine yet smh
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I got mine from AmiAmi - it was $134 incl. shipping, so given the US MSRP of $140 I'm happy.
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah me as well, direct from Amiami

Added in 31 minutes 37 seconds:
Under a macro lens is of course where things tend to get sloppier in terms of paint, but 1. 9/10 people aren't going to be looking at the figure this closely and 2. It's no where near the worst paint apps I've seen on a 6 inch Godzilla peanut head.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Glad to see you got one you're happy with JNavs! I'm personally still glad I didn't take the risk. And after seeing the movie, I really want an atomic breath variant instead so I'm gonna wait until then to grab an SHMA Minus One.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:23 pm Glad to see you got one you're happy with JNavs! I'm personally still glad I didn't take the risk. And after seeing the movie, I really want an atomic breath variant instead so I'm gonna wait until then to grab an SHMA Minus One.
Thanks! Yeah I still stand by this figure not being what was advertised at all in terms of paint, but it's still a phenomenal sculpt with some dry brushing that we don't tend to see too often on Goji figures. Add that to the articulation and they've got a satisfied customer, even though I'll continue to be wary of future releases.

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
At the same time I'm just glad I can have the new growing shrine

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:52 pm
Thanks! Yeah I still stand by this figure not being what was advertised at all in terms of paint, but it's still a phenomenal sculpt with some dry brushing that we don't tend to see too often on Goji figures. Add that to the articulation and they've got a satisfied customer, even though I'll continue to be wary of future releases.

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
At the same time I'm just glad I can have the new growing shrine

Yeah, getting a little déjà vu from Shin with the disparity between the prototype and release units. The sculpt is admittedly very accurate contrary to what I first thought, with paint being the main issue holding this figure back in terms of presentation. Also the fact that it's blatantly overpriced. I can't justify investing in this line anymore when we're getting this anxious over the final product at a $100+ price point.

Also where did you get that poster? They weren't offering any merch for the movie at my theater :(

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Jetto Jagga

Reservations start on the Tamashii Web Store on 12/22.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

He comes with the two most important accessories one can ask for, so I'm satisfied.

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoh ... 973-figure

Also interesting that he comes with light-up parts. Is this the first standard SHMA to have such a feature? EDIT: Nope, forgot Biollante and I even own the damn thing lol
Last edited by Shenanigans on Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:10 pm EDIT: Nope, forgot Biollante and I even own the damn thing lol
Not just that.

https://www.shma-articulationseries.com ... kyoku.html

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
Now, how long before we think we get a Megalon?

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Is it really light-up? MonsterArts and FiguArts both often show glows that aren't there, especially in Ultraman and Gamera.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Gojirasaur wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:17 pm https://www.shma-articulationseries.com ... kyoku.html

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
Now, how long before we think we get a Megalon?
That's why I specified "standard SHMA", haha. But yeah, I certainly hope Megalon isn't too far behind, though I won't deny it's discouraging that there haven't been any signs of one during his big 50th birthday bash this year.
Platypus Prime wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:23 pm Is it really light-up? MonsterArts and FiguArts both often show glows that aren't there, especially in Ultraman and Gamera.
I think so. The description I linked says he comes with parts to replicate his glowing eyes, though I suppose it could just be alternate blue eyes?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I love the "up yours" hand.