Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Jomei
Futurian

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by Jomei »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:14 pm I've recently gotten back into the Scarlet/Violet competitive scene. Anyone else here playing still? I have a lot of teams I'd love to try out in preparation for next season. My best friend and I still battle pretty often but I'd like to test them against someone else. If anyone would be interested in testing their own teams against mine, feel free to DM me.
Me!

Are you doing like VGC doubles more or getting on those Smogon singles?

I'm a little frustrated with Regulation D. Mostly Urshifu.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
king_ghidorah wrote:This thread is very, very confusing.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Jomei wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:38 am
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:14 pm I've recently gotten back into the Scarlet/Violet competitive scene. Anyone else here playing still? I have a lot of teams I'd love to try out in preparation for next season. My best friend and I still battle pretty often but I'd like to test them against someone else. If anyone would be interested in testing their own teams against mine, feel free to DM me.
Me!

I've been playing both Singles and Doubles in Ranked. I've historically been more of a Doubles guy but my Singles team seems to be stronger in SV. If you'd like to battle, you can DM me your friend code.

I agree on Urshifu being a frustrating presence. Surging Strikes is a broken move; I've never missed my Ferrothorn more. I think Urshifu should be banned from Ranked.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:41 pm
Me!

I've been playing both Singles and Doubles in Ranked. I've historically been more of a Doubles guy but my Singles team seems to be stronger in SV. If you'd like to battle, you can DM me your friend code.

I agree on Urshifu being a frustrating presence. Surging Strikes is a broken move; I've never missed my Ferrothorn more. I think Urshifu should be banned from Ranked.
Awesome. I'm sort of the opposite (did singles a long time, have gotten on doubles a bit recently) but am super game for either.

Automatic crits to bypass defensive boosts and Unseen Fist to nullify Protect is just too much together, along with that attack stat and bulk on par with Conkeldurr. It's a neat Pokemon, but yes, honestly banning legendary and mythical 'mons (although it would eliminate some non-broken options) would do a lot to settle the meta's power creep.

There's also Flutter Mane, of course, but it always just feels like it's really good rather than unreasonable. Far more non-specialized ways to play around it.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Jomei wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:51 pm
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:41 pm

Me!

Awesome. I'm sort of the opposite (did singles a long time, have gotten on doubles a bit recently) but am super game for either.

Automatic crits to bypass defensive boosts and Unseen Fist to nullify Protect is just too much together, along with that attack stat and bulk on par with Conkeldurr. It's a neat Pokemon, but yes, honestly banning legendary and mythical 'mons (although it would eliminate some non-broken options) would do a lot to settle the meta's power creep.

There's also Flutter Mane, of course, but it always just feels like it's really good rather than unreasonable. Far more non-specialized ways to play around it.
I'm all for banning legendary and mythical mons from competitive play. When my best friend and I play, our "house rules" are that all legendaries are banned and there's a hard limit of one Paradox Pokémon or pseudo-legendary per team, beyond the normal Ranked rules.

Glad you think that Flutter Mane isn't unreasonable because I'm very guilty of using it. One of only two Paradox mons I use online along with Iron Valiant. Like you said, it's an extremely powerful special sweeper but its pathetic physical bulk mean there are many ways to get rid of it so it's not unfair - unlike Saitama Bear over here landing three unblockable crit punches in a row.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:15 pm
Glad you think that Flutter Mane isn't unreasonable because I'm very guilty of using it. One of only two Paradox mons I use online along with Iron Valiant. Like you said, it's an extremely powerful special sweeper but its pathetic physical bulk mean there are many ways to get rid of it so it's not unfair - unlike Saitama Bear over here landing three unblockable crit punches in a row.
Right. And on a basic level, you can Protect! Or Calm Mind up in its face. Or get a Substitute up. Or survive a heavy hit with a Focus Sash. So many tactics just can't stop Urshifu's rampage, so you're stuck with specialized counters, or devoting your Tera to getting it off the field (and probably still losing most of your health in the process).

Flutter is quite an interesting Pokémon because its absurd usage rate makes it look like an unhealthy meta presence, and sure, you get a little sick of how often you see it, but that's a result of FM dominating its niche (special attacking Fairy type) so fully and having a variety of viable builds rather than dominating the entirety of the metagame.
Last edited by Jomei on Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Is Tera the most volatile mechanic? I saw a discussion amongst some Smogon players that it may be, since it can end up being a lot of guesswork that can come back to bite you due to lack of presence in the team preview. Some Pokémon absurdly benefit from it, too, like Kingambit. Curious what y’all thought.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would anyone be open to a more horror/halloween-themed region in the future?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

CyberZilla wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:22 pm Is Tera the most volatile mechanic? I saw a discussion amongst some Smogon players that it may be, since it can end up being a lot of guesswork that can come back to bite you due to lack of presence in the team preview. Some Pokémon absurdly benefit from it, too, like Kingambit. Curious what y’all thought.
Absolutely. A Pokémon being able to completely change its own type is something that's near impossible to plan for. There are some Tera typings that are overused enough in the meta to be predictable (Grass Heatran, Ice Regieleki, Steel <insert Pseudo-Legendary here>) but even then it's never a surefire thing. I've gotten screwed by wrongly guessing what something's gonna Tera type into before and, more often, I've gotten screwed because someone pulled out a completely unexpected Tera type.

By contrast, Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves and Dynamaxing were overpowered but still something you could plan for and counter pretty easily. Mega Evolutions, despite being probably the most broken in terms of sheer power, were particularly easy because you almost always knew exactly which Pokémon someone was gonna Mega Evolve when they sent it out.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

After Scarlet came out, I played it for about 60 hours and completed the pokedex. Since then I haven't been doing raids. It was lame to have a ton of Sword and Shield Pokemon that I had at level 100 and "viable", only for me to not be able to use them in these five star raids. Now that the DLC is out, and there's home intergration, I'm in the process of transfering all my stuff over and starting the DLC. In a few days we can play together and trade pokemans. It's nice to see my favorite Pokemon back and be able to use, Slowking. I've also got a Shiny Galarian Slowbro, a Shiny Galarian Slowking, and a Slowbro that I used and Megaevolved in XY.

I'm sad because my Slowking that I've had since HGSS had its moves changed, but honestly Slowking got a big buff. I already had Regenerator on it, through use of one of the Hidden Ability items, so Chilly Reception is a really cool move to go along with it (switches it out and sets up snow). I'm wondering if I had a good ice type to go along with it. I guess the new Pseudo Legendary?

BIG OOF MOMENT:
I have pokemon Scarlet but accidentally bought the Violet DLC on the eshop. 3500 yen. I can't use it, and can't refund it. It's not a code, otherwise I would have given it away/sold it to recuperate funds. It's really, really, shitty that the store doesn't check that you have a compatible game first, or that the DLC isn't just compatible with both games. I'm generally not a POKEHATER, but I can imagine children making this mistake pretty easily.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:56 pm
BIG OOF MOMENT:
I have pokemon Scarlet but accidentally bought the Violet DLC on the eshop. 3500 yen. I can't use it, and can't refund it. It's not a code, otherwise I would have given it away/sold it to recuperate funds. It's really, really, shitty that the store doesn't check that you have a compatible game first, or that the DLC isn't just compatible with both games. I'm generally not a POKEHATER, but I can imagine children making this mistake pretty easily.
IF YOU CAN (and this may not always work but I’ve read about this!), see if you can call the customer service and get a refund. They may let you, since I’ve seen reports of ppl able to do it once per account for those kinds of mistakes. It’s definitely a no-bueno situation and I rly don’t like that GameFreak/Nintendo put that on the eshop without some buffer to check for compatibility, but there’s a potential solution.

Speaking of the Chilly Reception, yea, I think he can be useful for Baxcalibur, but I also think he could be rly strong with Cetitan, particularly ones with Slush Rush. I’d experiment with that. Cetitan surprised me as a Pokémon with some great offense tools, like Belly Drum and Ice Spinner. Worth a shot.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:04 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:56 pm
BIG OOF MOMENT:
IF YOU CAN (and this may not always work but I’ve read about this!), see if you can call the customer service and get a refund. They may let you, since I’ve seen reports of ppl able to do it once per account for those kinds of mistakes. It’s definitely a no-bueno situation and I rly don’t like that GameFreak/Nintendo put that on the eshop without some buffer to check for compatibility, but there’s a potential solution.

Speaking of the Chilly Reception, yea, I think he can be useful for Baxcalibur, but I also think he could be rly strong with Cetitan, particularly ones with Slush Rush. I’d experiment with that. Cetitan surprised me as a Pokémon with some great offense tools, like Belly Drum and Ice Spinner. Worth a shot.
Thanks. There's a disclaimer that you can't, but I'm going to try anyways. They make it a pain to do as well lol. I need to submit a lot of information and all in Japanese (don't forget, I'm using the Japanese E-shop). I can do that, but it feels like a pain in the ass, and I'm thinking that's intentional.

I can read and understand Japanese (except complicated stuff and literature), but I have to "focus" and like actively look at that. I opened the E-shop, saw the Teal Mask and Indigo Disk, and purchased without much thought (afterall, why would there be two seperate ones...) and that's what happened. But I garuntee you, there will be a small child, or someone just not paying close attention, who does exactly what I did, "hey there's the teal mask and indigo disk, time to purchase. Feels a little predatory.

In regards to Slowking, yeah Braxcalibur seems to be the way to do, but I'm wondering if there's another Ice-Type I like/have I can use from the past. I do like that Slowking got love in an obscure way.

Anyways, I'm starting the DLC and to it's credit I like how the two DLC packs appear to be part of an ongoing story. I can appreciate it for what it is, but it was weird to me how the Isle of Armor was completely seperate from the Crown Tundra. I'm also hoping there is more of a challenge in some extra battle mode.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Finished the DLC last night. It was alright. The best addition of the DLC, aside from returning some of my favorites like Chandelure, are the new TMs that allow me to teach some of my favorite moves from Gen 8 like Dual Wingbeat and Scald. Beyond that, Ogerpon, Dipplin and Sinistcha are all cool new Pokémon and the new area is pretty neat but I guess I was hoping for a little more (cough cough Battle Tower). I would've like a couple more sidequests, too. I wish Perrin's quest had been something that ran parallel with the main DLC story instead of something that can't be completed until you've caught 150 local Pokémon. I thought Briar would give you some things to do, too, instead of basically disappearing once you reach the island. I've only had one encounter with the two high society weirdos so maybe that evolves into something more? Otherwise, I think I've done pretty much all there is to do.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:28 am Finished the DLC last night. It was alright. The best addition of the DLC, aside from returning some of my favorites like Chandelure, are the new TMs that allow me to teach some of my favorite moves from Gen 8 like Dual Wingbeat and Scald. Beyond that, Ogerpon, Dipplin and Sinistcha are all cool new Pokémon and the new area is pretty neat but I guess I was hoping for a little more (cough cough Battle Tower). I would've like a couple more sidequests, too. I wish Perrin's quest had been something that ran parallel with the main DLC story instead of something that can't be completed until you've caught 150 local Pokémon. I thought Briar would give you some things to do, too, instead of basically disappearing once you reach the island. I've only had one encounter with the two high society weirdos so maybe that evolves into something more? Otherwise, I think I've done pretty much all there is to do.
No battle tower? Or even special mode? That sounds dissapointing.

One thing that was really cool about the Isle of Armor DLC from Sword and Shield was the inclusion of that special Dojo. That basically forced you to make "competively viable" (really just good natures, good moves and strategies) to take on specific types. It made me train and use Pokemon that I would have otherwise never used, and gave an advatange to using and grinding all the special items that other places, like the in-games battle tower, allowed for.Honestly, the fact that there isn't a battle tower, or some other battle facility, in the base game or Teal Mask is a bit outrageous. Gives a lot of fun to single players who just want to have a fun challenge.

Anyways I'm in Kitakami and I have mixed feelings. Seems very very "Japanese", down to the "Community Center" emulating the look of a lot of City Halls, down to a few small local flags. I'm also hearing hints of what might be Hoenn Music. But what is Kitakami supposed to be? I read something that it's based on Aomori, but physically compared to other regions, where is it? If it was actually just Aomori it would be under Sinnoh, but how did we get there? By Bus? Maybe this will be answered, and it's such a minor point, but it's a bit weird to me considering how Pokemon has recently tried to make things really cohesive in terms of how the landmaps click together.

Here's a question: What do you think the area to the North is on the main Paladean Map? Originally, I thought that would be Kitakami, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And, the Blue Berry Academy is apparently somewhere in Unova/at Sea/somewhere isolated. So what is that landmass? Will it be a mystery never answered? Or might there be "another" DLC after Indigo Disk?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:43 pm One thing that was really cool about the Isle of Armor DLC from Sword and Shield was the inclusion of that special Dojo. That basically forced you to make "competively viable" (really just good natures, good moves and strategies) to take on specific types. It made me train and use Pokemon that I would have otherwise never used, and gave an advatange to using and grinding all the special items that other places, like the in-games battle tower, allowed for.Honestly, the fact that there isn't a battle tower, or some other battle facility, in the base game or Teal Mask is a bit outrageous. Gives a lot of fun to single players who just want to have a fun challenge.
I also loved the Dojo and I agree, it helped me to build better competitive teams. Ditto for the Battle Tower. I think the lack of a Battle Tower is my single biggest issue with Scarlet & Violet. That's been a series staple since Crystal. The Battle Maison from the Gen 6 games was pretty lame but even that was better than nothing. As it stands, there is literally nowhere for me to practice Double Battles in this game and that's extremely frustrating because I have some unusual strategies I'd like to use online but I'd hate to be embarrassed by testing them against another person and finding out they don't work. There should at the very least be an option for the Academy Ace Tournament to be in a Doubles format. I'm really hoping the Indigo Disk will add something like that the same way the Crown Tundra did for Sword & Shield.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Game Freak has indicated (at least some people in certain interviews) that they don't think there's as much interest in challenging in-game modes like Battle Towers since people don't spend as much time with a single game as they used to. IDK if they'll stick to that, and I think it's the wrong mindset, but part 2 of this DLC looks to be more battle-focused (they say that's Blueberry Academy's thing), so maybe there could be a mode of that type there?

Still playing through part 1 myself and enjoying it. The land itself seems like more of the same, but I like the rural Japanese/matsuri theming a LOT and am digging the small scale story. Judging by how quickly others wrapped it up, I may end up completing it tonight or tomorrow... after I dig out from under a pile of work.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Came home from work stuff today, had some booze and an edible, then used WEEZING to reach my highest placing globally yet

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Jomei wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:51 pm Came home from work stuff today, had some booze and an edible, then used WEEZING to reach my highest placing globally yet

Damn, you're well on your way to being the champion! I was in the top 500 at the end of one or two seasons in Sword but I've never climbed that high. Guess I can feel less bad about losing to you repeatedly now...

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:38 am
Jomei wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:51 pm Came home from work stuff today, had some booze and an edible, then used WEEZING to reach my highest placing globally yet

Damn, you're well on your way to being the champion! I was in the top 500 at the end of one or two seasons in Sword but I've never climbed that high. Guess I can feel less bad about losing to you repeatedly now...
I got pummeled back down to around 400. I'm sure I'll settle down to a respectable but much lower position soon. :lol: Still, cracking even the top 500 is pretty damn good. I just had a good streak that placed me high for a short period :pokeball:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I liked the second DLC a lot more than the teal mask. I thought the teal mask was okay, because it had an interesting story, but the gameplay and fights weren’t so exciting or challenging, especially for what is lategame content.

Indigo disk had some difficult trainer fights for single player. In addition to have high levels, the usage of clearly thought out teams in double battles made some of the fights pretty difficult. It felt rewarding and fun to actually have to try, something I didn’t feel for the teal mask.

I like Kieran and Carmine’s story over the dlcs. Ultimately it’s still a simple story for children, but there’s something there that takes time to develop, and jealousy is a real emotion children have to deal with. I like how in the teal mask Carmine and Kieran are sort of jokes but then in indigo disk Kieran has one of the best teams in the game.

Two of the elite trials were really interesting, and I wish more of the base game had stuff like that. I felt like the main game sort of glossed over the idea of it being based on a school, but with the dlc focusing on a school trip and then being an exchange student it works well.

I think if Pokémon would take time to be reflective on its self, and keep up this focus on emotion and friendship, JR would be really great. Definitely need to fix all the bugs and just make a better game.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Anyone with Scarlet interested in touch trading the DLC Paradox mons?
Hi!