Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla -1.0 (2023)

Post by LegendZilla »

Will this movie be getting a wide-release in Canada?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:28 pm Will this movie be getting a wide-release in Canada?
Cineplex is showing it for a week in certain areas. Supposedly Landmark Cinemas is too, but I haven't seen any showings from them in my province. No IMAX showings that I've been able to find. :(
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wow! My screening has filled up. Glad I bought my tickets weeks ago. The evening screenings for Fri/Sat are getting pretty packed, too.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

My screening is also filled up for tomorrow not a single seat was open lol. I never thought Id see something like this in my lifetime.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Last I checked the screening up anticipating has only gotten like 2 or 3 more seats taken. They only just put up the Imax screenings for some reason.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Stumbled across this. Apparently MinusGoji's design has a piece from nearly every era attached to him.

https://twitter.com/ggrasperZX/status/1 ... 96/photo/1

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Even my 4DX showing I'm going to is starting to get filled up. So cool! I think I'm going to watch it again Saturday at normal showing in one of the other theaters close by. Assuming I like the movie, of course.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Chaos Reincarnation
Monsterland Worker

Post by Chaos Reincarnation »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:25 pm Even my 4DX showing I'm going to is starting to get filled up. So cool! I think I'm going to watch it again Saturday at normal showing in one of the other theaters close by. Assuming I like the movie, of course.
Everyone who has seen it says it's definitely a multiple screening type movie...in a good way of course.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

More theaters around me have added it, but I'm not confident my city will, so I went ahead and bought tickets for a showing 45 minutes away. Easily worth it, but I'm still a bit baffled at the spotty distribution. Makes no sense to be driving to a town half the size of where I am for the showing.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
king_ghidorah wrote:This thread is very, very confusing.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I'm going to the early fan screening, when I booked my tickets only 5 other seats were taken. hoping more people will show up than that.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:43 pm
I watched it at 9am on November 3rd, and then when it ended I walked back, purchased another ticket at 11:50, and walked right back in! So maybe the time difference was 20 minutes between my first and second viewing? :P
Now that you mention it, my theater's early access event has a 5pm AND an 8pm slot...
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

So ready got another 11 hours

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

^^^ I wish I had the 5 PM slot. I have to eat dinner at work and hang around for a bit until 7 PM.
Last edited by GodzillaIsCool on Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:24 am So ready got another 11 hours
Similar to Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0 is the type of Godzilla film where it’s difficult to imagine the franchise overall without it. Savor the last few hours before it’s part of the roster!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

zukzilla
Monsterland Worker

Post by zukzilla »

Today is the day folks! All the board to they hype train!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:52 am
Similar to Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0 is the type of Godzilla film where it’s difficult to imagine the franchise overall without it.
It is really possible to say that about a brand new film, regardless of the quality?

Doesn't it have everything to do with what your preferences are? The entire MonsterVerse could never have existed and it would change nothing about my perception of the franchise. I'm sure Minus One will be great, but I can guarantee it's not going to effect how I look at the series as a whole.

I know you've been obsessed with the film since you saw it, but these are some very big, sweeping statements.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:18 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:52 am
Similar to Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0 is the type of Godzilla film where it’s difficult to imagine the franchise overall without it.
It is really possible to say that about a brand new film, regardless of the quality?

Doesn't it have everything to do with what your preferences are? The entire MonsterVerse could never have existed and it would change nothing about my perception of the franchise. I'm sure Minus One will be great, but I can guarantee it's not going to effect how I look at the series as a whole.

I know you've been obsessed with the film since you saw it, but these are some very big, sweeping statements.
Yeah, I think I can safely say that. I’m not saying it’s “da best” but I do think it does some game changing things that future entries will draw heavy inspiration from. It also clearly is a successor to both G14 and Shin Godzilla, and I imagine Minus -1.0 will be very inspirational on subsequent entries. And for reference, it’s been about a month for me, since I first saw it, so it’s not “I just got out of the theater new”.

Also, I’ll elaborate later, but there’s some stuff that the director said on the Godzilla franchise and showcases in the film too. It doesn’t change my opinions on what the original respective directors and writers had in mind when they were making it, but it adds a very intriguing alternative philosophical perspective to many of the films.

As far as my obsession goes, I have a pretty personal reason/story behind partially why I’m so enthusiastic with this one.

The nice thing is that other than Cookson, that Iris fellow and someone else who apparently saw it at the Tokyo Film festival before everyone else, I saw -1.0 as earliest as possible and completely devoid of any impressions other than very vague positive statements by some inner Toho people who got to go the premiere. In other words, my positivity for it, at least now, is completely my own. If all of you wind up hating it, or someone points out something I didn’t consider with my initial viewings, I can at least take solace in that all my positivity came from my own “pure” perspective.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

5:30pm baby lets goooooo
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It really is a special film. Toho was able to make something I don’t think we’ve seen in a Godzilla film in a long long time. I’m not saying it’s the best… I’m not really sure yet where it fits there, but….. It’s special.

If you’re watching it tonight, I look forward to your thoughts on the spoiler section and or review section.
Last edited by Cookson on Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Well, with holiday obligations and whatnot I didn't get to do an extensive rewatch of Godzilla films to prep like I wanted, but in the last few days I managed to get in Return of Godzilla, GMK, and Godzilla '54 and that seems a pretty appropriate selection to get in the mood and tone for Minus One!

Only about 10 hours to go.