Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Re: Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:57 pm
Godzilla165 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:49 pm
So I wonder what Godzilla actually makes of nukes. It's clear that the radiation he absorbs for them offsets any kinetic damage he takes, so does he even register it as an attack? Or does he just think that we've come up with a really weird way of feeding him? Like every time he turned up in the 50s, we did the equivalent of hitting him in the face with a pie?
“Uranium flavored”- Godzilla, probably.

I like to think of it as him knowing that mankind were actively trying to destroy him, but because the nukes acted essentially as a very explosive but quick means of getting food, he kept coming back.
I doubt he considered it an attack.

1. We know near death a modern nuke going off near him will supercharged and he wasn't upset at the Monarch members on the boat.

2. When the jets and destroyers attacked him in GvsK he responded and retaliated. Even in G14 the army pissed him off and he went through the Golden gate.

The MV has actually created a scenario where Godzilla handles nukes better than conventional weaponry.
You know, put like that, I find myself doubting that this Godzilla was intended, when G'14 was made, to just take a nuke to the face and keep on truckin'. Castle Bravo and the rest were well in the past, so we could decide for ourselves how well he handled each attack and how long it took for him to come back for more. Now it's like the radiation just cancels out the whole "bomb" part. Another reason, IMO, why it's unfortunate KotM used its nuke power-up the way it did.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:38 pm

I like to think of it as him knowing that mankind were actively trying to destroy him, but because the nukes acted essentially as a very explosive but quick means of getting food, he kept coming back.

1. We know near death a modern nuke going off near him will supercharged and he wasn't upset at the Monarch members on the boat.

2. When the jets and destroyers attacked him in GvsK he responded and retaliated. Even in G14 the army pissed him off and he went through the Golden gate.

The MV has actually created a scenario where Godzilla handles nukes better than conventional weaponry.
You know, put like that, I find myself doubting that this Godzilla was intended, when G'14 was made, to just take a nuke to the face and keep on truckin'. Castle Bravo and the rest were well in the past, so we could decide for ourselves how well he handled each attack and how long it took for him to come back for more. Now it's like the radiation just cancels out the whole "bomb" part. Another reason, IMO, why it's unfortunate KotM used its nuke power-up the way it did.
While Godzilla was made leaps and bound superior to his G14 self we also did have Serizawa running around saying the nuke won't help.

My take is that humanity had nothing that would stop Godzilla or the Mutos at the time.

I think Legendary from the start set out to make the most powerful Godzilla on screen yet to course correct from G98.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vandarker
JXSDF Technician

Post by Vandarker »

So I wonder what Godzilla actually makes of nukes. It's clear that the radiation he absorbs for them offsets any kinetic damage he takes, so does he even register it as an attack? Or does he just think that we've come up with a really weird way of feeding him? Like every time he turned up in the 50s, we did the equivalent of hitting him in the face with a pie?

I mean, if somebody chucks food in your face it would hurt, but you'd still be thankful if you were malnourished and starving to death. Throwing conventional weaponry at him is probably like spraying him with cold water or fine sand, it hurts far less but it's just pure annoying.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:04 am I just don't agree that discussion "brushed off" what happened. Consider the time constraints of a film and having to build around those, first of all. "Hiroshima" is all that's said because what else could they be discussing? The look in Stenz's eyes says what needed to be said, imo. You say the exchange didn't have a chance to breathe, and that's fair, but I feel the implications of it hang over the rest of the movie.
Agreed, and I honestly wish more fans would stop looking to Hollywood entertainment for adequate scolding re: the atomic bombings. The first Godzilla, in its historical moment, was a profound metaphor for the evils and devastation of nuclear weapons.

But it devoted its entire focus to that metaphorical treatment not just of specific incidents but rather the subject of nuclear/mass destruction weapons and what they might mean for the Japanese as well as all of humanity and life on earth. The actual historical bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (as well as the similarly murderous fire bombings in other cities) are, in my opinion, too serious to handle in the moments between one MUTO action scene and the next Godzilla action scene.

So, even aside from how dwelling longer on history in that moment would be tonally and narratively inappropriate, IMO the weighty mention of Hiroshima along with the symbol of the watch speak more tastefully to the topic than wedging in some glib lecture.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
king_ghidorah wrote:This thread is very, very confusing.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:15 pm Now I wonder if the bomb did damage that the radiation immediately healed. Godzilla was like "Oww!", but then "Ohh!" :godzilla2021blue:
Lmao So actual nuclear warheads are Godzilla's equivalent to our Warheads candies?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

So, even aside from how dwelling longer on history in that moment would be tonally and narratively inappropriate, IMO the weighty mention of Hiroshima along with the symbol of the watch speak more tastefully to the topic than wedging in some glib lecture.
Definitely. Serizawa handing Steinz the watch, giving context to the time in which the watch stopped on by adding the specific date with it, and allowing for Steinz to quickly piece it together himself was more than a powerful and compelling enough moment for that scene to work. Both actors in that scene said less than 20 words during that entire brief exchange, yet there didn’t need to be more said. You could clearly see the weight of the situation hit the admiral like a truck when he heard, “1945”, and the feeble/almost whispered, “Hiroshima” as though Steinz himself didn’t want to say it spoke louder than any lengthy lecture or scolding would. Serizawa didn’t have to berate him, he just gave the admiral something heavy to think about, and you could see how that brief conversation affected him for the remainder of the movie.

It was, to me, a masterful showcase of how very little words and excellent facial expressions and inflections can carry a moment a long way.

#BotM

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:49 pm
MC_Lovecraft wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:15 pm Now I wonder if the bomb did damage that the radiation immediately healed. Godzilla was like "Oww!", but then "Ohh!" :godzilla2021blue:
Lmao So actual nuclear warheads are Godzilla's equivalent to our Warheads candies?
Ha! Yeah, that. :D

So just a pointless little thought here, but considering that the Ion Dragon is either a flying creature that can swim or a swimming creature that can fly, I wonder if the Toho kaiju they'd thought of using was actually Varan? He's the only similarly triphibian monster I can think of from Toho's stable.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:49 pm
Godzilla must hate himself then. Warheads (the candy) are fucking brutal
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I’m pretty late to the party so I don’t think I have much to add that hasn’t already been said here, but god, I cannot stress how refreshing this series is. Compelling human characters, engaging drama, great worldbuilding that I was hoping to see from the more recent films, etc. The show simultaneously builds upon the films that had come before it while also managing to craft its own identity without feeling too derivative of the films. That can be a tricky line to walk, but damn, they’ve pulled it off seamlessly.

The overall consistency of the Monsterverse when it comes to special effects is also something that cannot be overstated. I’m blown away by just how good this series looks; everything looks movie-quality. I’ve been watching the Marvel movies for years and the nosedive in quality (and not just of the FX) of recent years is impressive in the worst possible way. Meanwhile, here, you can feel the pride and care that goes into crafting each shot of the monsters (granted, I know shoddy FX work is rarely the fault of the FX artists themselves, who are overworked and underpaid, but that’s another discussion).

One small gripe I do have is how the first couple episodes ended on cliffhangers that were completely ignored in the following episodes. A nitpick really, because I know we’re bound to follow up on episode 1’s cliffhanger at some point and even the next episode will also buck that trend as well with the Frost Vark (best boy BTW). I know with shows like this the goal is to end each episode on a cliffhanger, but I do hope a few future episodes can do that without relying on the monsters just to shake it up a bit, you know? But yeah, digging the hell out of this show; had my doubts about a live-action Godzilla series but this is easily one of the best things to come out of the MV.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I've seen two different reviews one saying the characters are woke and another saying they were dull and my reaponse was what show are you watching?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:07 pm I've seen two different reviews one saying the characters are woke and another saying they were dull and my reaponse was what show are you watching?
Of course it's woke! Most of the cast is Japanese! Why does a Godzilla show need so many Japanese characters?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:07 pm I've seen two different reviews one saying the characters are woke and another saying they were dull and my reaponse was what show are you watching?
There are some fair criticisms that can be made about this show but "woke" and "dull" are not among them. I'd say those individuals probably didn't actually watch the show.

My only criticisms of the show so far have been things that felt a bit too convenient. Cate easily figuring out the locker combination, the car flipping after Cate is abducted, and May immediately spotting the hidden camera in the bush all just seemed too convenient to me. Not enough to break immersion. But they stood out to me as some minor quibbles.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:18 pm
There are some fair criticisms that can be made about this show but "woke" and "dull" are not among them. I'd say those individuals probably didn't actually watch the show.

My only criticisms of the show so far have been things that felt a bit too convenient. Cate easily figuring out the locker combination, the car flipping after Cate is abducted, and May immediately spotting the hidden camera in the bush all just seemed too convenient to me. Not enough to break immersion. But they stood out to me as some minor quibbles.
The combination didn't really bother me because it was a person knowing their father and combining his 2 families together. The car and camera I agree.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:18 pm
They push Keiko's girlbossing tendencies a little too much. It's not quite Panderverse territory, but I wish they'd give more exploration to other facets of her personality beyond the Lisa Simpson "yeah, I'm a girl AND a scientist!!" line every other time she meets a new man.

This is one of the annoying undersides of "woke" or "PC" or whatever you want to call it--in addition to whatever good (and bad) these trends achieve, they also have the unfortunate side effect of sometimes pigeonholing categories of people into mere vessels of The Struggle. Some minority artists will address this and report feeling expected to perform oppression or fit a certain narrative progressive audiences are eager to see illustrated over and over.

I wouldn't lob the "woke" label at this show overall, though, and not necessarily at those moments, ham-handed though they are. But from a writing perspective, the need for her to serve as an example of resistance against attitudes of the time can end up flattening the character. See a show like Mad Men for an example of well-written female characters living during a time of normalized inequality. I'd love to see Keiko written half as nuanced as a character like Peggy Olson or Joan Harris/Holloway, as her actress is fantastic and steals most of her other scenes.
Last edited by Jomei on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Jomei wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:40 pm They push Keiko's girlbossing tendencies a little too much. It's not quite Panderverse territory, but I wish they'd give more exploration to other facets of her personality beyond the Lisa Simpson "yeah, I'm a girl AND a scientist!!" line every other time she meets a new man.

This is one of the annoying undersides of "woke" or "PC" or whatever you want to call it--in addition to whatever good (and bad) these trends achieve, they also have the unfortunate side effect of sometimes pigeonholing categories of people into mere vessels of The Struggle. Some minority artists will address this and report feeling expected to perform oppression or fit a certain narrative progressive audiences are eager to see illustrated over and over.

I wouldn't lob the "woke" label at this show overall, though, and not necessarily at those moments, ham-handed though they are. But from a writing perspective, the need for her to serve as an example of resistance against attitudes of the time can end up flattening the character. See a show like Mad Men for an example of well-written female characters living during a time of normalized inequality. I'd love to see Keiko written half as nuanced as a character like Peggy Olson or Joan Harris/Holloway, as her actress is fantastic and steals most of her other scenes.
I hear you. And those are some fair points. But I guess, for me, those things are harder to notice in a world where the majority of shows genuinely lean into pandering, identity politics and toothless activism. Keiko may be a bit one-dimensional. But we haven't learned everything about her yet either. And she's shown to have poor judgement that ultimately leads to her (apparent) demise. That kind of character flaw from a major female character is something you won't see in your average Disney-produced show these days. For me, it's a breath of fresh air.

Still, you're on the money about the writing. I think it's overall really good. But it's also kind of propped up by the direction and the cast. So the weak spots are kind of smoothed over save for the most glaring moments.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Spuro wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:13 pm
Of course it's woke! Most of the cast is Japanese! Why does a Godzilla show need so many Japanese characters?
Not only are there Japanese folks, but there's also a black woman! The inclusion of one minority is already forced diversity, but two minorities is white genocide.

Like, I'm not racist or anything, but is there a particular reason why May has to be black? It doesn't help the story or narrative in any way whatsoever. If the writers can't justify her being black, then she shouldn't be black. They're making this show political!
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:00 pmI hear you. And those are some fair points. But I guess, for me, those things are harder to notice in a world where the majority of shows genuinely lean into pandering, identity politics and toothless activism.
For sure. Even in its pander-ish scenes, there's more nuance than in many recent shows. (The back and forth between Keiko and Lee is actually pretty good but ends on too neat a note.) And it also doesn't stand out when the show is fairly equal opportunity in granting characters Implausibly Based status. While they wedge in the Mysteriously Technologically Smarter than Everyone Else black girl, they also give the straight old white military male Kurt Russell Han Solo level badassitude just because.

That's part of why I frame it more as a character writing barrier than clear "wokeness."
Keiko may be a bit one-dimensional. But we haven't learned everything about her yet either. And she's shown to have poor judgement that ultimately leads to her (apparent) demise. That kind of character flaw from a major female character is something you won't see in your average Disney-produced show these days. For me, it's a breath of fresh air.
Yeah, there are good parts to the characters, too, and I am still on board to see where they go next!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think having a Japanese woman/scientist/person in general in 1952(?) talk to a general of the United States is going to be slightly weird and uncomfortable no matter what, and the show has done a generally good job at acknowledging that uncomfortable relationship so far. I do agree that Keiko has been a little “girlbossy”, and honestly that it got a bit much when Shaw at this point had multiple conversations about it with her. I got more out of her trying to stop the nuke than I did of anything prior, and I think all that other stuff was because they might not really have anything for her to say, and at least establish her having a slightly awkward relationship with Shaw. The worst thing so far, has been the continual joke about her driving though, which sort of is played as both “she’s an empowering and independent woman” but could also be interpreted by people as a sexist trope. I don’t care either way, but it’s getting tired.

Also, regarding May, I don’t think this is a surprise to anyone on here, but for those curious, yes Japan, especially recently, has had more diversity amongst the international community. Anyone who says the show is woke or whatever, for that reason is being silly. I see what Jomei is referring to her as the “black magic tech girl”, and I’m hoping like Keiko this is just in anticipation of fleshing her out. May, out of all the characters, is sort of just there. Shaw, Cate, and Kentaro all have personal connections to Cate’s dad, so we’ll see. The show pretty much acknowledges this as well.

Bill Randa hasn’t really said or done much yet as well. I think a big issue with everything being said right now is that it’s far too early to really pinpoint characters arcs or trajectories.

Everyone will be really busy with -1.0 this week, but I’m really looking forward to episode 4. Monarch has become a show I’m eagerly anticipating weekly.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The show acknowledging that May is a third wheel definitely is a good sign.

I feel like Keiko is being handled relatively well. She's a girl boss, but the show is tripping over itself to make clear that a female Japanese scientist graduating from top American universities is not an expected thing in the 1950s. It's not the kind of fake BS woke media often does where everyone is just magically historically equal because. Monarch is trying to be transparent and honest about their fantasy character here. I also felt that Shaw pointing out that Keiko had stereotyped him just as he had her was a smart bone to toss out.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio