Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by Legion1979 »

Someone on Reddit got the MG set. No pictures of the figures out of the packaging but the box itself is a really cheap comedown compared to the boxes from the other sets. It's also a window box this time, and forgoes any type of artwork completely.

Totally screams "We're not doing any more of these!" I think I'll wait until it goes on sale.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I think I saw similar or the same photos elsewhere. It's a shame, really; the set still looks really good and I want it, but it doesn't "feel" like a $60 set as much.
Mezco probably hasn't seen the sales they wanyed from this line, given how the DAM sets have been getting discounted. I was hoping to see the line last longer.

Officer Cornjob
Young Farmer

Post by Officer Cornjob »

I'm more concerned with this one (Pretend this forum isn't amazingly restrictive and that I was actually able to post the link to the "Ultimate Godzilla" here) that I paid for in full over a year ago and was supposed to ship months and months ago. I'll be amazed if it actually ships, and even moreso if its remotely worth the purchase price.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:57 pm Someone on Reddit got the MG set. No pictures of the figures out of the packaging but the box itself is a really cheap comedown compared to the boxes from the other sets. It's also a window box this time, and forgoes any type of artwork completely.

Totally screams "We're not doing any more of these!" I think I'll wait until it goes on sale.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ally_here/

Ugh.

Truth be told though, if the figures are on par with previous ones, and they need to cut this corner to continue the line, I'd accept even black boxes.

I'd be disappointed, but would still buy them.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Saw some reviews of the Mezco Ultimate Godzilla pop up. Any word on actual release date? Seems it is apparently still coming.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

A shame about the 5ptXL line, I liked the DAM sets (rly hoped for a third one to round out the roster), but the amount they got discounted rly showed they didn’t sell. Wonder if Mezco will try and make other products like that Ultimate Godzilla or something new entirely, or if they’ll just stop and let the licensing lapse.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

The sheer lack of Godzilla news from Mezco has me guessing they'll let the license lapse. A real shame. The 5-point sets have been some of my favorite Godzilla merchandise in... Honestly the past decade.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

I love them. Even shops like BOOK-OFF put them on display out of the box and they sell.

This is depressing.

Adeno
Monarch Researcher

Post by Adeno »

I just remembered that there's also this Mezco silicone/rubber Godzilla 1954 that's supposed to come out after the big Ultimate version. Unfortunately, I don't have confidence in Mezco's silicone/rubber material. I have their silicone/rubber Xenomorph and Batman 1989. The Xenomorph somehow has a tear at the base of its tail even though I never bent that area. Batman 1989 has tears on his crotch and all he ever did was stand, he never performed splits at all. This makes me worried that unless they improved the quality of the material they're using, their 1954 Godzilla is bound to suffer similar problems.

Silicone toys from the TBLeague (formerly Phicen) brand are very durable. I have some from the year 2013 or 2014 and they're still near perfect to this day, and those toys have performed all sorts of acrobatic feats in their pictorials. I sure hope Mezco won't cheap out on their seamless Godzilla.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I recently found the exclusive Mothra set for a price that... wasn't totally awful... so I went for broke and ordered it. I don't think it got much discussion here when it released, but I want to say this set is as gorgeous as the rest.

While the overall content might appear less, the package design cleverly fits everything inside the display box itself, which closes snugly and magnetically-shut front doors. Said doors don't like to hold open for display, but otherwise is very nicely designed.

The shobijin aren't a particularly close likeness to the Peanuts, but that's okay. The hats and coats are flocked with felt, which is really cool!

ImageImage

Mothra has felt over much of her body, too, and color/paint applications are very fine. The wings are the only articulation as a compromise, but this feels pretty high-quality overall.

This is another winner of a set, and it's a shame Mezco gave it a limited run.

pjkong
Yojimbo

Post by pjkong »

Love the Mothra set, but untill I get a case for it, its staying in its box. The fuzzy material can get dirty pretty easily. I also intend on getting a motion activated speaker, loading the acappella version of the Mothra song and placing either next to or behind the set.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

I always wanted that set, and more so now.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

I just got the MG set. It's a great set even if the window box presentation is crap. King Caesar and MechaG come with alternate heads that initially just seem like something from Super7, but the pricked up ears Caesar and open mouth MG are there also so notches could be put in the eyes for beam effects, which we get a bunch of.

I see no corners cut but for the box, which I now wonder if was just a bad move compared to being designed to be "cheap" and a sign they are failing. At least I hope so.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Rody wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:52 am Here's a shot I took last year including the Mezco Godzilla 1968 with the hyper hobby Shin:

One day I hope to see figures of the scale of the 68 Goji in the middle, but with the articulation of NECA or Monsterarts. It would take up less space.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crockalley
Ronin

Post by crockalley »

My King Caesar had a pretty noticeable gap where his neck meets his torso, but I was able to work on it and eventually close the gap. Also, when I went to change his head, I twisted it wrong and the neck-peg became unglued from the head, instead of the unplugging from neck.

Otherwise, good set. Godzilla is good, and MG is fantastic. I really couldn't care less about the box one way or the other. The toys are what I'm looking for, and, barring the few hiccups I mentioned, the toys satisfy.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

I really hope this is not the end. I'd really enjoy buying more.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

It looks like the Mechagodzilla set is selling out everywhere, which bodes ill in my opinion.
I'd be kicking myself for dawdling on grabbing the set if I hadn't managed to win a bid on one this evening for less than retail price (damaged box).

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Rody wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:13 pm It looks like the Mechagodzilla set is selling out everywhere, which bodes ill in my opinion.
Bodes ill for...what exactly?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

The DAM and Hedorah sets are still pretty widely in stock, it seems. Did those sets go out of stock in the past?
Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, but I suspect Mezco didn't produce many Mechagodzilla sets compared to the pior sets. The 5-Point Godzilla series might be over as we feared.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

Well, if they reduced the run, but still made a profit, I don't see how that 100% means the line will end.

I just don't get the math on how it selling well is a bad indicator.