Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #16: The Return of Godzilla

Post by edgaguirus »

The opening theme is a haunting and dark piece, which is perfect for this movie.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Just got done watching this one. I do appreciate the larger production values and the creator's attempts to make Godzilla a serious threat. It definitely goes farther into the real life politics in contrast to the original film. This film specifically involves the USA and USSR while they basically don't exist in the original film. The special effects, while not flawless, are a big step up compared to what we got in the 70's. Big city sets make for Godzilla's destruction a joy to watch.

Still, I feel like I enjoyed this one more the last time I watched it. The characters don't seem to be that engaging generally and this film might have some pacing/screenplay issues that makes for a bit of a bore sometimes.

The film overall has redeeming qualities, but might be a more mid-tier entry for me.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojira-Fan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:38 pm The characters don't seem to be that engaging generally and this film might have some pacing/screenplay issues that makes for a bit of a bore sometimes.
One thing that makes this really unique is the "escape/disaster" elements that this film contains, something that is in line with a lot of other films Toho was making at the time. While the character's are pretty one-note, compared to a lot of other Godzilla films they're pretty actively put in the line of danger. The entire second half of the film has the main group trying to escape the city while Godzilla attacks.

There's other movies that have moments of the protaginists fleeing danger, or a disaster type scenario (G200, the train scene in King Kong vs. Godzilla), but a good amount of these films generally have the protagonists watching from a distance while the finale plays out. There's exceptions of course and anytime a mecha is involved things get up close and personal. But the framing of everyone trying to escape the destroyed building definitely gives the film a more immediate threat that somewhat elevates some of the most boring characters in the series.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:06 pm
Gojira-Fan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:38 pm The characters don't seem to be that engaging generally and this film might have some pacing/screenplay issues that makes for a bit of a bore sometimes.
One thing that makes this really unique is the "escape/disaster" elements that this film contains, something that is in line with a lot of other films Toho was making at the time. While the character's are pretty one-note, compared to a lot of other Godzilla films they're pretty actively put in the line of danger. The entire second half of the film has the main group trying to escape the city while Godzilla attacks.

There's other movies that have moments of the protaginists fleeing danger, or a disaster type scenario (G200, the train scene in King Kong vs. Godzilla), but a good amount of these films generally have the protagonists watching from a distance while the finale plays out. There's exceptions of course and anytime a mecha is involved things get up close and personal. But the framing of everyone trying to escape the destroyed building definitely gives the film a more immediate threat that somewhat elevates some of the most boring characters in the series.
I do appreciate Kaiju interacting with the human cast, but I feel that we would care about them being in danger more if we cared for them more. I wouldn't say they are the most boring human characters in the series, but I wish there were more to the for me to think they have discernable personalities or traits so they don't end up seeming so vanilla. Many characters from the Godzilla movies (if you analyze them enough) are interesting and putting them in direct danger creates tension for the audience. Take for example Saeko and Goro Maki from Son of Godzilla . Both characters are earnestly portrayed by their actors and have enough development to be likeable. It is hard for me to say that for the main cast here. So when both of those characters are in danger from Kumonga in Son of Godzilla it works better than this film's Goro and co. being in danger in the city.

This is certainly not a bad film, but I think it just didn't work as well as the last time I watched it. It just had some noticable flaws that lowered my enjoyment but there is a lot to like in this one as well. Last time I watched it I thought it could be better than the next film in the series. I am about to watch Godzilla vs. Biollante next weekend and I suspect that I will end up liking that one better.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:06 pm
I think this is what I really love most about this film, aside from the perfect score. I hope we get more of this in Minus One. I've always been interested in these films showing a Godzilla attack from the POV of random people on the ground. And while I wouldn't say the characters in ROG are "random" per se, it satisfies the itch, for the most part.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I do like the Prime Minister in RoG. He was a pretty competent, likable guy, from what I remember.

And yeah, I agree that the skyscraper escape sequence is very refreshingly unique for the genre and does a lot to help this movie stand out. I imagine part of the reason it was included is because Tokyo didn't have huge skyscrapers in the Showa series. Giving a new feature of the city the spotlight helps make the reboot feel fresh and modern. GvB and GvKG would go on to have their own skyscraper based scenes, Colonel Gondo and Shindo's deaths in windows at Godzilla's face level. IIRC, those scenes tapered off as the Heisei series went on.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

I, myself, like having kaiju not be towering over every single building, though I'm pretty sure that that's just some kind of fetish of mine.
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.
Let's go back to just watching and enjoying monster movies.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's funny that GMO is going back to a 50 meter Godzilla, but they set the movie in a ruined, bombed out Tokyo to make sure he still totally dwarfs everything.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Follinollante wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:59 pm I, myself, like having kaiju not be towering over every single building, though I'm pretty sure that that's just some kind of fetish of mine.
" Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?"
- Yoda

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Sounds like a coping mechanism on Yoda's part, if I'm being honest.
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.

G.H.B
Interpol Agent

Post by G.H.B »

Outside of blowing him up to anime trilogy levels of ridiculousness, Godzilla was always gonna be dwarfed by the Shinjuku skyline or any other “modern” cityscape you put him in. He doesn’t have to tower over the entire city to come off as or BE an actual threat.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Do any of you feel that this film showing a more intenational perspective facing the issue of Godzilla rather than a more purely Japanese one (like G54 and Shin) take away from the experience? By focusing on multiple countries' approach, does it make things less personal?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Considering when it was made, showing tensions between other countries was appropriate. I also feel it doesn't take anything away from the Japanese side of the story.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know this movie presents itself as an updated version of G54, but I can't help but notice a few similarities it shares with Rodan from 1956. Both films start with a human-sized arthropod kaiju leaving a trail of dead bodies as part of the build-up towards the main kaiju. They also both end with the titular monster(s) meeting their fate in an erupting volcano triggered by human bombardment.

Do you think these similarities were intentional? Or was it pure coincidence? You decide.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

Anybody remember the manga adaptation of this? I bought all six volumes back when it was released stateside as a monthly comic. Personally, I think the story beats and tempo were handled much better than in the movie.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Loved the comic series. Used to pick it up every week grocery shopping at the local store.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:19 pm I know this movie presents itself as an updated version of G54, but I can't help but notice a few similarities it shares with Rodan from 1956. Both films start with a human-sized arthropod kaiju leaving a trail of dead bodies as part of the build-up towards the main kaiju. They also both end with the titular monster(s) meeting their fate in an erupting volcano triggered by human bombardment.

Do you think these similarities were intentional? Or was it pure coincidence? You decide.
Pure coincidence IMO. You could even compare the ship scene to the one from H-Man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Now that I think about it...Space Amoeba featured ships, had giant man-eating monsters AND a Volcano. AND the finale involves using sounds to lure a monster into a volcano! This settles it....Return of Godzilla is a RIPOFF of Space Amoeba! Toho should sue!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:33 pm Now that I think about it...Space Amoeba featured ships, had giant man-eating monsters AND a Volcano. AND the finale involves using sounds to lure a monster into a volcano! This settles it....Return of Godzilla is a RIPOFF of Space Amoeba! Toho should sue!
Gasp! It's even got the one guy who is viewed as an enemy by the others but, in the end, sacrifices his own life in an attempt to make up for his own mistakes which resulted in the peril of the other characters!

Also, both movies have water shots and female characters. I think we've said enough.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

shadowgigan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:30 pm Loved the comic series. Used to pick it up every week grocery shopping at the local store.

Oh wow, yeah, same here! Memories, dude. That was a fun time. 8-)

Follinollante wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:52 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:33 pm Now that I think about it...Space Amoeba featured ships, had giant man-eating monsters AND a Volcano. AND the finale involves using sounds to lure a monster into a volcano! This settles it....Return of Godzilla is a RIPOFF of Space Amoeba! Toho should sue!
Gasp! It's even got the one guy who is viewed as an enemy by the others but, in the end, sacrifices his own life in an attempt to make up for his own mistakes which resulted in the peril of the other characters!

Also, both movies have water shots and female characters. I think we've said enough.

Don't forget they both had monsters portrayed via costume, and I think they were even both in Japanese! Man, this is getting pretty damning, isn't it? :cry: