Discussion: Main Site Updates

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Post by Gigantis »

I'd say the Cutting Room needs some updates. I think the Heisei side of them are fine for the most part, but the Showa and Millennium sides could REALLY use some updates. Most of them feature really outdated information (King of Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla wasn't just a copy-paste of 54) and also just look rough.

Maybe I could help, but I don't really know how to submit blogs and stuff.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:32 amMaybe I could help, but I don't really know how to submit blogs and stuff.
Would type of content would you be willing to help with?

We have a lot of contributors, and usually most of it is sent over email.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Arbok wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:15 pm
Gigantis wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:32 amMaybe I could help, but I don't really know how to submit blogs and stuff.
Would type of content would you be willing to help with?

We have a lot of contributors, and usually most of it is sent over email.
I could help with the cutting room, as previously said. Just tell me how things roll!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:37 pmI could help with the cutting room, as previously said. Just tell me how things roll!
Great. Did you mean help with the written copy? Trivia? Images? A mixture?

Totally open. A great first step would be to pick a particular cutting room entry.

Basic structure is story recap, lost project history and then trivia (generally with each note in the trivia citing a source). I'd suggest starting with one and going from there, picking one that's in the older format and hasn't already been updated (like King of Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla, Battle of the Galactic Empire or others). Once you have stuff compiled and ready to submit, shoot me an email. Or alternatively keep asking questions here, as don't mind others getting to know the process... but as many know it's pretty informal for submissions.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Arbok wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:09 pm
Gigantis wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:37 pmI could help with the cutting room, as previously said. Just tell me how things roll!
Great. Did you mean help with the written copy? Trivia? Images? A mixture?

Totally open. A great first step would be to pick a particular cutting room entry.

Basic structure is story recap, lost project history and then trivia (generally with each note in the trivia citing a source). I'd suggest starting with one and going from there, picking one that's in the older format and hasn't already been updated (like King of Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla, Battle of the Galactic Empire or others). Once you have stuff compiled and ready to submit, shoot me an email. Or alternatively keep asking questions here, as don't mind others getting to know the process... but as many know it's pretty informal for submissions.
So, do I just compile everything on a document and go from there? I know a place to get sources from.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:15 amSo, do I just compile everything on a document and go from there? I know a place to get sources from.
Yep, or place it into the body of the email. Whichever you prefer.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Arbok wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:55 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:15 amSo, do I just compile everything on a document and go from there? I know a place to get sources from.
Yep, or place it into the body of the email. Whichever you prefer.
Okay so, I made this sort of.. I guess "mockup" of what I could submit, if this is okay.

Unmade Film
Planned: 1977
Conceived by:
Jun Fukuda
Ryuzo Nakanishi
Tomoyuki Tanaka

Japanese Title: KING of MONSTERS ゴジラの復活 [Kingu obu Monsutāzu Gojira no Fukkatsu]

A group of terrorists take hold of a nuclear power plant in Shizuoka, only for them, along with all of the other residents, to be attacked by an unwelcome third party: Godzilla.

Lost Project History

Two years after the release of Terror of Mechagodzilla, Tomoyuki Tanaka quickly greenlit King of Monsters and had it rushed into production. In the directors chair was Godzilla film veteran Jun Fukuda, with Ryuzo Nakanishi writing the screenplay while Tanaka himself producing. In addition to Godzilla, this was the first known script to feature Shockirus, though it was an overgrown tick rather than a mutated wharf roach. For whatever reason, however, Resurrection of Godzilla never saw the light of day, with Fukuda and Ryuzo joining forces to create The War in Space instead.

Trivia
Information on this story can be found in both the 2012 book Toho Special Effects Movie Complete Works, and 2010’s "Godzilla" Toho Special Effects Unpublished Material Archive: Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka and His Era.
While King of Monsters: Resurrection of Godzilla never saw the light of day, there were still bits of it left over that made its way into the eventual final product, The Return of Godzilla. Such things include Godzilla returning to his villainous roots, and attacking a nuclear power plant.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Thanks! Just wanted to update that we are doing some research to gather more details on this project.

I don't have 東宝特撮映画大全集/"Toho Special Effects Unpublished Material Archive: Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka and His Era", but Joshua on the staff does so seeing what's in there, while I'm checking books for other references to this.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Arbok wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:42 pm Thanks! Just wanted to update that we are doing some research to gather more details on this project.

I don't have 東宝特撮映画大全集/"Toho Special Effects Unpublished Material Archive: Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka and His Era", but Joshua on the staff does so seeing what's in there, while I'm checking books for other references to this.
Sounds good to me! I would say the next one I'd tackle would be Godzilla vs. Gargantua, but TBH I'm not entirely sure how to really go about that one. Henry G. Saperstein definitely tried getting Toho aboard for some sort of U.S-Japan Collaboration movie, but it's not 100% confirmed if it was a film about Godzilla fighting a Gargantua. I'd also say maybe I'd update the pages for Earth Defense Directive and The Return of King Ghidorah, but nothing about them has really upadated story wise, so they just need to be updated properly, which could really be said about a lot of the cutting room pages.

In terms of other updates, I could probably lend a hand to Godzilla Legend: The Asuka Fortress now that we know more about that one. Entirely new pages though, I could probably do Micro Super Battle, Godzilla vs. The Mysterians, and Godzilla Reborn.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Heisei Mothra now has a fully updated bio, written by yours truly (just like the Shockirus bio was). Hope y’all enjoy, and look forward to more ;)

Major shoutout to Andrew and Joshua Sudomerski for gathering up and writing down the trivia, and of course Anthony for uploading it and giving me the opportunity to contribute like this. And also shoutout whoever gathered and uploaded the pictures for the bio, I’ll admit I’m fuzzy on the details on that part of the process lol
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Promoting the Godzilla Fight Club books is a really weird choice.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

SG-17 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:39 pm Promoting the Godzilla Fight Club books is a really weird choice.
And are those covers AI-generated?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:47 pm
SG-17 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:39 pm Promoting the Godzilla Fight Club books is a really weird choice.
Yes, they are.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:54 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:47 pm
Yes, they are.
No wonder they’re downright terrible!
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

I think that 1989's Ultraman: Terror on Route 87 should have updated trivia. It is a reedited version of episode 29 of the 1966-67 "Ultraman" TV series. Also, according to Japanese Wikipedia: It was intentionally removed from "Ultraman" which was on-air on TBS the previous year and was selected for this co-projection. Toho, the distributor, was thinking about {Ultraman Episode 19} "The Devil Is Again", but the screening was decided in the barter of "‎‎Ultraman A Great Ant Super Beast vs. Ultra Brothers‎‎".‎ (translated from 「前年TBSでオンエアされた「ウルトラマン」から意図的に外されてこの併映に選ばれた。配給元の東宝は {Ultraman Episode}「悪魔はふたたび」を考えていたが、『ウルトラマンA 大蟻超獣対ウルトラ兄弟』併映のバーターで上映が決定した。」){}= notes part added by me.

Jungle Emperor Leo (tohokingdom.com)
- Add to the trivia section: This film is compiled from the 1965-66 TV anime series Jungle Emperor (based on the Osamu Tezuka manga of the same name), known in America as "Kimba the White Lion". It mainly uses material from episodes 1 ("Go, Child of Panja", retitled "Go, White Lion!" for the American dub) and 41 ("Wandering Death Gods", retitled "Destroyers from the Desert" for the American dub and aired as episode 25 in the initial American broadcast), plus some material from episodes 2 ("The Wind in the Desert", aired as episode 8 in the initial American broadcast), 4 ("Samson, the Wild Ox", retitled "Great Caesar's Ghost" for the American dub), 48 ("The Red Monster", retitled "The Red Menace" for the American dub and aired as episode 42 in the initial American broadcast), and 20 ("Restaurant Rebellion", retitled "Restaurant Trouble" for the American dub and aired as episode 6 in the initial American broadcast), with some minor stock footage and new animation and new dialogue and music to piece all this material together. More info on this film can be found at Kimba The White Lion -- The 1966 Movie, plus this episode guide for the anime: List of Kimba the White Lion episodes - Wikipedia

Ultraman (1967 film)
note that this film added some new narration to its otherwise recycled material.

Mirror Man: Dinosaur Aroza Reanimated
- Add to the trivia section: Japanese Wikipedia says "Toyohiro Ando, who wrote the screenplay, said producer Toyoaki Awa liked the story and put it in theaters because he was able to do well." (translated from 「脚本を手掛けた安藤豊弘は、プロデューサーの淡豊昭が本話を気に入っており、出来が良かったため劇場に流したと述べている」 (source: 白石雅彦 編著『ミラーマン大全』円谷プロダクション監修、双葉社、2004年2月。ISBN 978-4-5752-9652-5; Page 259. )

Ultraman Ace: Giant Ant Terrible-Monster vs. Ultra Brothers (tohokingdom.com)
-Add to the trivia section: This film is a "blow-up" version of episode 5 of the 1972-73 "Ultraman Ace" TV series.

Ultraman Kids (tohokingdom.com)
- Add to the trivia: There previously was an animated short "Ultraman Kids: Buddies from the M7.8 Star", released in 1984 by Shochiku alongside the feature "Ultraman Zoffy". There was also a 26-episode TV anime series "Proverb Tales of the Ultraman Kids", which originally aired on TBS in 1986, and later another 26-episode TV anime series "Ultraman Kids: 30 Million Light Years Looking for Mother" which originally aired on NHK-BS2 from 1991-92.

TV Shows produced by Toho that aren't covered on TK (AFAIK):

江戸の旋風 - Wikipedia

江戸の渦潮 - Wikipedia

江戸の激斗 - Wikipedia

江戸の朝焼け - Wikipedia

西遊記 (1978年のテレビドラマ) - Wikipedia

時代劇スペシャル (フジテレビ) - Wikipedia

仕掛人・藤枝梅安 - Wikipedia

剣客商売 (テレビドラマ) - Wikipedia

旗本退屈男 (1983年のテレビドラマ) - Wikipedia

現代恐怖サスペンス - Wikipedia

鞍馬天狗 (1974年のテレビドラマ) - Wikipedia

氷点 - Wikipedia

愛と死と - Wikipedia

愛染椿 - Wikipedia

越前竹人形 - Wikipedia

婚期 (テレビドラマ) - Wikipedia

五番町夕霧楼 - Wikipedia

Toho also co-produced the 1981-82 TV anime series version of Belle and Sebastian - Belle and Sebastian (Japanese TV series) - Wikipedia
Last edited by John Pannozzi on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends don't lie.